• Getting Started
  • EXP Pokemon Listed
  • EV Pokemon Listed
  • Secret Base Locations Listed
  • Screenshots
  • Conclusion
  • Grammar Checks
  • HTMLization
After creating a quick rough draft of a RSE Secret Base training guide, mingot decided that it should be elaborated on and expanded; enter this thread.

As you can tell by the checklist, the only things I'm having troubles with are other helpful tips or tricks I haven't mentioned in the guide so far and screenshots of certain routes found in-game. If you're able to help me ot with these roadblocks, I'd greatly appreciate it! =]
______________________________ ___________

RSE Secret Base Training Guide

Introduction
You find the perfect location for your Secret Base, collect all of the Dolls, furniture, and other nicknacks that you can possibly find, and stuff your Base full of them... but then what? Secret Bases have long been seen as frivilous additions to the in-game experience of RSE, though this assumption is extremely misguided; Secret Bases, when used correctly, can become extremely important locations in EV training or experience building.

The Basics

What is a Secret Base?
Secret Bases are customizable areas located throughout Hoenn. The Bases themselves can only be made by Pokemon who know the move Secret Power (TM43), and only in certain bushes, trees, or wall indentations. Players can also share their Secret Bases with friends by mixing records.

Why Mix Records?
Mixing records allows you to not only enter your friend’s Secret Base, but also allows you to battle them after you beat the Elite Four (note that records can be mixed prior to beating the Elite Four, only battling will not be enabled). The Pokemon your opponent uses to battle you are the same Pokemon your friend had in their party at the time of the mix.

After mixing records, Secret Base trainers can only be challenged once per day. Although this seems very restricting, there's a way around this problem. Secret Bases refresh after mixing records again, making it possible to battle them more than once a day if you create a cycle of mixing records, battling, and repeating; however, mixing records only refreshes the Secret base of that one friend, not all Secret Base locations throughout the game.

What’s the Use?
By carefully selecting your friend’s Pokemon, one can abuse this trainer battle to earn experience points or EVs much more quickly and accurately than through wild or in-game trainer battles. By mixing records with multiple friends, a single player can host Secret Bases whose trainers focus on a single type of EV or specifically experience points.

Getting Started
There are a few things prior to battling that can help aid in the growth of your Pokemon. Such things include:
  • Macho Brace
    • Description: A held item that doubles the amount of EVs a Pokemon earns after defeating a foe, while halving the Speed stat.
    • Location: Route 111; Given to you by the Winstrate family after defeating them.
  • Pokerus
    • Description: A non-threatening virus that doubles the amount of EVs a Pokemon earns from defeating a foe. The effect occurs after factoring in Macho Brace boosts.
    • Location: Varying; Must receive the Pokerus from either a wild Pokemon or a Nintendo event Pokemon.
  • Lucky Egg
    • Description: A held item that doubles the amout of experience gained from defeating a foe.
    • Location: None in RSE; must be transfered over from FRLG or XD.
  • EXP Share
    • Description: A held item that alows Pokemon who did not enter battle to recieve the total EVs and a portion of the experience gained from defeating a foe.
    • Location: Rustboro City; Given to you by Mr. Stone after delivering his letter to Steven.
To make training as easy as possible for the player, some peparation from your friend is necessary before records can be mixed. The most important thing that must be addressed is building a team that both focuses on one aspect of training and is easy to defeat.

Naturally, a Pokemon can only give a maximum of three EVs in any given stat with evolutions typically rewarding the most EVs. Therefore, finding Pokemon who evolve quickly and can be found easily are the best candidates for a Secret Base training team. Also, teaching these Pokemon moves that cause no damage to the opponent is a great idea so that low-leveled Pokemon can live through the battle long enough to glean the benefits of battling a team designed to be trained against. By using the Move Deleter in Lillycove City, one can create a moveset consisting of only one non-attacking move; the perfect moveset for a training Pokemon!

To create extremely weak Pokemon or give Pokemon certain useless or helpful moves, breeding may be implemented. By abusing the RNG of the games, one can easily breed Pokemon with inheritantly low IVs in every stat and a hindering nature, lowering the amount of damage that Pokemon can take by leaps and bounds.

Thanks to the Emerald cloning glitch, only one Pokemon must be trained to create a team; the other five members can be clones of the very same Pokemon. This not only saves time, but also keeps the weaknesses of the entire team indentical, making sweeping a Secret base training team nothing more than a simple button-mashing sequence.

Battle Rewards
By defeating foes a Pokemon can gain battle rewards, namely experience points (EXP) and EVs. While both are intertwined, it is typically easier to focus solely on EXP or a specific EV when training, since EVs are set in stone and EXP tends to fluctuate.

Experience Training
When a Pokemon is KOed during a battle, all teammates who fought against it receive EXP, the total of which depends on multiple factors. The level of the KOed Pokemon is an extremely strong influence on the amount of EXP gained for defeating it; the higher the level, the higher the amount of EXP for defeating it. A Pokemon's species, as well, determines the amount of EXP gained for KOing it, with Chansey and Blissey tying for the highest awarded EXP based solely on species. Whenever more than one Pokemon is sent out to defeat a foe, the total amount of EXP is divided by the number of battlers and distributed equally. Finally, a traded Pokemon will gain experience 1.5x faster than a trainer's own Pokemon. Therefore, playing a single traded Pokemon against six level 100 Chansey or Blissey will yield the greatest amount of EXP any one battle can grant; something only available via Secret Base training.

Since level 100 Pokemon typically have high stats, breeding for low IVs is reccomended, as it gives low-leveled Pokemon a better chance at defeating them. Each Pokemon has a weakness that can be exploited, as well. Take our Chansey team, for example; though Chansey's HP and Special Defense stats are huge, its Defense is a measely five. Common sense says breeding Chansey with both low HP and Defense IVs and a Defense hindering nature will make them extremely easy to defeat.

In addition to lowering a Pokemon's IVs, teaching them self-KOing moves like Memento, Selfdestruct, and Explosion is useful, since they eliminate the training Pokemon in one swift move. In the case of Selfdestruct and Explosion, though, either teach you Pokemon Protect or train Ghost-type Pokemon only against them, so you're not risking an OHKO every turn.

The following is a nonexhaustive list of Pokemon complete with the base EXP for defeating them, how to easily get them, and moves they can learn that keep them from harming you.
  • Chansey / Blissey (255)
    • Safari Zone (FR,LG)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Mewtwo (220)
    • Cerulean Cave (FR,LG)
    • Psych Up (Heart Scale)
  • Latios (211)
    • Roaming (R,E)
    • Memento (Heart Scale)
  • Gardevoir (208)
    • Route 102 (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Breed)
  • Dusclops (179)
    • Route 121 (R) Mt Pyre (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Breeding)
  • Weezing (173)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
    • Selfdestruct (Level Up), Explosion (Level Up), Memento (Level Up)
  • Muk (157)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Level Up)
EV Training
EVs are more concrete than EXP in the fact that they are not dependant on the level of the foe or whether the Pokemon being trained was caught or traded for. EVs are, however, do depend on the species of Pokemon, which is why building EV training teams is typically easier than creating high-leveled EXP building teams.

Pokemon award EVs in one or more of the six stats: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Depending on the species of Pokemon, one to three EVs per stat can be awarded. When training against a team of Pokemon who all grant three EVs in the same stat with a Pokemon infected with Pokerus and holding a Macho Brace the total number of EVs received with total 72.

Though many Pokemon award EVs in multiple stats, it is not in your best interest to choose Pokemon that do so, mainly because keeping track of EVs is labor-intensive and cannot be kept track of in-game; you mess up, you have to start all over again.

On the bright side, though, no matter what level the foe is they will always grant the same amount of EVs. That means no time wasted boosting levels and more time EV training what your own Pokemon.

Below are lists of Pokemon (all of whom award three EVs in a single stat)categorized by the stat their EVs influence, the lowest level they are available at, where to easily catch them, and helpful moves they learn.

HP EVs
  • Azumarril (Lv 18)
    • Surfing (R,S,E)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Exploud (Lv 40)
    • Rusturf Tunnel (R,S,E)
    • Howl (level Up)
  • Nidoqueen (Lv 16)
    • Route 3 (FR,LG)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Wigglytuff (Lv 5)
    • Route 115 (R,S,E)
    • Fake Tears (Breeding)
  • Clefairy (Lv 6)
    • Mt Moon (FR,LG)
    • Follow Me (Level Up), Splash (Breeding)
Attack EVs
  • Shiftry (Lv 14)
    • Route 114 (R) Swarm (E)
    • Growth (Level Up)
  • Machamp (Lv 28)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
    • Focus Energy (Level Up)
  • Victreebell (Lv 21)
    • Route 5 (LG)
    • Growth (Level Up)
  • Swampert (Lv 36)
    • Starter (R,S,E)
    • Foresight (Level Up)
  • Blaziken (Lv 36)
    • Starter (R,S,E)
Defense EVs
  • Golem (Lv 25)
    • Caves (R,S,E,FR,LG)
    • Mud Sport (Level Up)
  • Aggron (Lv 42)
    • Granite Cave (R,S,E)
    • Rain Dance (TM), Sunny Day (TM)
  • Poliwrath (Lv 25)
    • Fishing (FR,LG)
    • Rain Dance (Level Up), Belly Drum (Level Up)
Special Attack EVs
  • Beautifly (Lv 10)
    • Petalburg Woods (R,S,E)
    • String Shot (Level Up)
  • Gardevoir (Lv 30)
    • Route 102 (R,S,E)
    • Teleport (Level Up), Memento (Breeding)
  • Vileplume (Lv 21)
    • Route 10 (FR,LG)
    • Sweet Scent (Level Up)
  • Alakakazam (Lv 16)
    • Granite Cave (R,S,E)
    • Teleport (Level Up)
  • Gengar (Lv 25)
    • Pokemon Tower (FR,LG)
    • Haze (Breeding), Explosion (Breeding)
Special Defense EVs
  • Dustox (Lv 10)
    • String Shot (Level Up)
  • Ludicolo (Lv 14)
    • Route 102 (S,E)
    • Sweet Scent (Breeding)
  • Politoed (Lv 25)
    • Fishing (FR,LG)
  • Slowking (Lv 5)
    • Fishing (LG)
    • Mud Sport (Breeding)
Speed EVs
  • Raichu (Lv 5)
    • Viridian Forest (FR,LG)
    • Charge (Breeding), Light Screen (TM)
  • Pigeot (Lv 36)
    • Route 1 (FR,LG)​
    • Sunny Day (TM), Rain Dance (TM)​
  • Jumpluff (Lv 27)
    • Five Island (FR)​
    • Splash (Heart Scale)​
Secret Base Placement
The last thing you want to do is place your training Secret Bases in remote locations; it's just a hassle trying to get to them every day. The best way to keep track of your Secret Bases is by grouping them together and/or placing them close to towns. Also, the less time you have to spend running from wild Pokemon, the quicker you can get down to business, so avoid tall grass and Surfing whenever possible. The following Route maps contain numerous Secret Base locations that are close to towns and clustered close together.​

Although few of these places offer enough Secret Base locations to host all seven trainers, having to place your Secret Bases in two Routes isn't a horrible predicament, since they are all just a short Fly away from one another.​

***I plan on putting this in a table when HTMLisation comes along, though for reference, brown is wall indents, light green is bushes, and green is trees.***

Route 116
Closest Town: Lillycove City
Number of Base Locations: 4 0 0

Closest Town: Mauville City
Number of Base Locations: 4 0 3

Route 125
Closest Town: Mossdeep City

Conclusion
As you can plainly see, Secret Bases aren't just about looking pretty. By applying the techniques discussed in this guide you'll soon have yourself scores of high-leveled and EV trained Pokemon to tear through the game with. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start training!​

An Other Tips and Tricks section doesn't seem likely, as anything I can think of has already been written up; however, if you think something needs a mention, let me know. =]

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am utilizing this for years because I have two SPs

for experience I use six lv.100 chanseys who know nothing but light screen, all of them have either a -def personality or really low def IVs so that their def is <20 at lv.100, which allows even very low level pokémon to hit them for plenty of damage

this gives you 12291 exp. per chansey, so 73746 exp. per battle...the whole process of record mixing and beating the chanseys takes about 3-4 minutes IIRC

breed a pokémon, EV train it in the same game using secret base record mixing and then trade to the other game, give it lucky egg and enjoy mass killing chanseys

EV training:
- for attack I use 6 x shiftry lv.14 with growth as their only move
- for defense I use 6 x golem lv.25 with mud sport as their only move
- for sp.attack I use 6 x beautifly lv.10 with string shot as their only move
- for sp.defense I use 6 x dustox lv.10 with string shot as their only move
- for speed I use lv.3 raichu, yeah - catch pikachu in FRLG viridian forest and evolve
- for HP I don´t use the secret base trick (kill marills in the lake), but if I would, I´d probably use a lv.5 or lv.6 clefable (breed and evolve)

pokérus & macho brace means you get 72 EVs per battle

as for secret base placement, mine in sapphire is under the treehouse city (can´t recall name) in a tree...that´s like the neares secret base from a city

EDIT1: seedot is not ruby only, they swarm in emerald also...they know leech seed as well, which is normally an egg move
EDIT2: catch clefairy in FRLG mt. moon, breed some and teach it light screen or reflect which can be bought...

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you Peterko; I'll be adding to this to the guide shortly.

EDIT: Though you can't tell yet, the OP will be updated with a new draft of the guide, with touch ups most notably on the Battle rewards section.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
seedot evolves at lv.14 so you can have a lv.14 shiftry

hmm maybe you could add a sentence or 2 about how you can secret base battle more times per day if you record mix all over again

mix - battle - mix - battle

some pople own two DS lites so you culd mention that they are not restricted to one battle per day

the same applies to two friends who come together for a training session or something where they repeat the process

EDIT: RSE breeding means you get a lv.5 cleffa which you have to make happy (attach soothe bell, feed berries which you can clone)...level up, evolves to clefairy and use moon stone...lv.6 clefable, the lowest level possible for a pokémon that gives 3 HP EVs

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know if mixing records with one person refreshes all Secret Bases, or just the Base of the person you mix records with?

Otherwise, thanks for your help Peterko. ^_^

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you very much Expert Evan! I hope you like how your guide's evolved.

Is it fine for me to link to these maps in the article, or should there be a Smogon version of these maps?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Doing an excellent job from what I see, thanks. So far as the maps, at least a link to them indicating source should be fine though I'd save a copy of these maps in case the site in reference ever becomes defunct. If Smogon has a version of these maps then that'd be my highest preference actually.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I'll be sure to include a link then, since I haven't found any in-game snapshots on Smogon.

EDIT: Now that I look at the locations I listed, the ones you listed clearly outclass them. I'll keep my eyes open for any other god spots, though yours seem to cover the criteria needed.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright, I'll be sure to include a link then, since I haven't found any in-game snapshots on Smogon.

EDIT: Now that I look at the locations I listed, the ones you listed clearly outclass them. I'll keep my eyes open for any other god spots, though yours seem to cover the criteria needed.
Actually, we are going to want to get these maps remade.

You may use these images as placeholders for the time being, though.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, if you know of any secret base location clusters that are close to towns and are easily accessable (like the ones EE gave me), point them out and post a link here.

Otherwise, I'm not sure that I will be needing any more maps for this guide, as loedoc is working on the final snapshots I need.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pm ignored. Thanks for the snapshots loedoc; they were the final piece to this guide. =]

EDIT: I will be reviewing the data in the tables for accuracy, since there has to be at least one mistake in th emost important information.

Code:
<table class="sortable">
<thead>
<tr>
 <th>EV Stat</th>
 <th>Pokémon</th>
 <th>Lowest Possible Level</th>
 <th>Pokémon Area (Game)</th>
 <th>Move (Learned via)</th>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
 <td>HP</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/azumarill">Azumarill</a></td>
 <td>18</td>
 <td>Surfing (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/tail_whip">Tail Whip</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>HP</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/exploud">Exploud</a></td>
 <td>40</td>
 <td>Rusturf Tunnel (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/howl">Howl</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>HP</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/nidoqueen">Nidoqueen</a></td>
 <td>16</td>
 <td>Route 3 (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/tail_whip">Tail Whip</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>HP</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/wigglytuff">Wigglytuff</a></td>
 <td>5</td>
 <td>Route 115 (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/fake_tears">Fake Tears</a> 
(Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>HP</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/clefable">Clefable</a></td>
 <td>6</td>
 <td>Mt Moon (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/follow_me">Follow Me</a> (Level Up), <a href="/rs/moves/splash">Splash</a> (Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/shiftry">Shiftry</a></td>
 <td>14</td>
 <td>Route 114 (R), Swarm (E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/growth">Growth</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/machamp">Machamp</a></td>
 <td>28</td>
 <td>Fiery Path (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/focus_energy">Focus Energy</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/victreebel">Victreebel</a></td>
 <td>21</td>
 <td>Route 5 (LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/growth">Growth</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/swampert">Swampert</a></td>
 <td>36</td>
 <td>Starter (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/foresight">Foresight</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/blaziken">Blaziken</a></td>
 <td>36</td>
 <td>Starter (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/focus_energy">Focus Energy</a> 
(Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/golem">Golem</a></td>
 <td>25</td>
 <td>Caves (R/S/E,FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/mud_sport">Mud Sport</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/aggron">Aggron</a></td>
 <td>42</td>
 <td>Granite Cave (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/rain_dance">Rain Dance</a> (TM), <a href="/rs/moves/sunny_day">Sunny Day</a> (TM)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/poliwrath">Poliwrath</a></td>
 <td>25</td>
 <td>Fishing (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/rain_dance">Rain Dance</a> (Level Up), <a href="/rs/moves/belly_drum">Belly Drum</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/beautifly">Beautifly</a></td>
 <td>10</td>
 <td>Petalburg Woods (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/string_shot">String Shot</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/gardevoir">Gardevoir</a></td>
 <td>30</td>
 <td>Route 102 (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/teleport">Teleport</a> (Level 
Up), <a href="/rs/moves/memento">Memento</a> 
(Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/vileplume">Vileplume</a></td>
 <td>21</td>
 <td>Route 10 (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/sweet_scent">Sweet Scent</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/alakazam">Alakazam</a></td>
 <td>16</td>
 <td>Granite Cave (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/teleport">Teleport</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Attack</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/gengar">Gengar</a></td>
 <td>25</td>
 <td>Pokemon Tower (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/haze">Haze</a> (Breeding), <a 
href="rs/moves/explosion">Explosion</a> (Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/dustox">Dustox</a></td>
 <td>10</td>
 <td>Petalburg Woods (R/S/E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/string_shot">String Shot</a> (Level 
Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/ludicolo">Ludicolo</a></td>
 <td>14</td>
 <td>Route 102 (S,E)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/sweet_scent">Sweet Scent</a> 
(Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/politoed">Politoed</a></td>
 <td>25</td>
 <td>Fishing (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/rain_dance">Rain Dance</a> (Level Up), <a href="/rs/moves/belly_drum">Belly Drum</a> (Level Up)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Special Defense</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/slowking">Slowking</a></td>
 <td>5</td>
 <td>Fishing (LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/mud_sport">Mud Sport</a> 
(Breeding)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Speed</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/raichu">Raichu</a></td>
 <td>5</td>
 <td>Viridian Forest (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/charge">Charge</a> (Breeding), <a href="/rs/moves/light_screen">Light Screen</a> (TM)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Speed</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/pidgeot">Pidgeot</a></td>
 <td>36</td>
 <td>Route 1 (FR/LG)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/sunny_day">Sunny Day</a> (TM), <a href="/rs/moves/rain_dance">Rain Dance</a> (TM)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td>Speed</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/pokemon/jumpluff">Jumpluff</a></td>
 <td>27</td>
 <td>Five Island (FR)</td>
 <td><a href="/rs/moves/splash">Splash</a> (Heart Scale)</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
Xia's HTMLisation, my corrections (mostly just unclosed <a> tags and such, and unclosed quotes in them!) ^_^ (Also, remember that CSS classes and IDs are case-sensitive, so <table class="Sortable"> doesn't work, but "sortable" does work, because class "sortable" is defined in the stylesheets and "Sortable" isn't!) Great work, everyone! If anything is found to be incorrect, I'll edit this. :) It now passes the w3 validator! I'll grammar check and HTMLise up the intro later.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks pluff. If you still have it, you can post the EXP Pokemon table I PMed you also, and I plan on tabling the Secret Base locations as well, though they may not necessarily need it if the mods feel that what kind of Secret base the locations are isn't necessary.

Some input on this would be nice.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the locations we are going to mention that are close to towns are going to be enough to be honest.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've PMed jumpluff the HTMLised version of this, so it should be finished very soon. Thanks you guys who helpped; I couldn't have done it without you!

I personally find the whole secret base training thing very laborious and inefficient.

In emerald, you can mass produce rare candies, so I just raise a newly-bred pokemon to a sufficient level(say 50) before I start ev training.

There are many wonderful ev training spots in emerald/R/S.

HP: Just surf around pools in route 102. VERY high encounter rate of marills (99%), which gives 2 HP EVs

Attack: Use super rod repeatedly in the water in route 118. 60% encounter rate of Carvanha (1Att EV) and 40% encounter rate of Sharpedo (2 Att EVs)

Defense: Magma Hideout (only in emerald).
55% Geodude (1 Def Ev)
30% Torkoal (2 Def EVs)
15% Graveler (2 Def Evs)

Sp. Attack: Route 113 grass
70% Spinda (1 SpA Ev)
25% Slugma (1 SpA Ev, only found in emerald)
(The remaining 5% belongs to Skarmony. Yeah, I know 1Ev is low, but Route 113 is the only place in Emerald where the encounter rate of SpA EV pokemons is very high)

Sp. Def: Abandoned Ship, Use Super rod in any water
80% Tentacool (1 SpD ev)
20% Tentacruel (2 SpD evs)

Speed: Route 118 grass
30% Zigzagoon (1 Spe ev)
30% Electrike (1Spe Ev)
19% Wingull (1 Spe Ev)
10% Linoone (2 Spe Evs)
10% Manectric (2 Spe Evs)

I deem a spot 'good' for ev training when the encounter rate of the required pokemons is very high (nearing 100%) and (hopefully) contains a lot of pokemons that give 2 EVs in the targeted stat.

The above spots are definitely the best in Emerald.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Although I do not descredit your opinion, the facts you've given me do not help my guide whatsoever. I would wait and post these if someone decides to create an EV training guide for RSE.

I Understand that this guide is finished and HTMLized, but I looked through it and found several errors, so I decided it would be a good idea to grammar check it. This is what I found.

Checklist:
  • Introduction
  • Getting Started
  • EXP Pokemon Listed
  • EV Pokemon Listed
  • Secret Base Locations Listed
  • Screenshots
  • Conclusion
  • Grammar Checks
  • HTMLization
After creating a quick rough draft of a RSE Secret Base training guide, mingot decided that it should be elaborated on and expanded; enter this thread.

As you can tell by the checklist, the only things I'm having troubles with are other helpful tips or tricks I haven't mentioned in the guide so far and screenshots of certain routes found in-game. If you're able to help me out with these roadblocks, I'd greatly appreciate it! =]

RSE Secret Base Training Guide

Introduction
You find the perfect location for your Secret Base, collect all of the Dolls, furniture, and other knicknacks that you can possibly find, and stuff your Base full of them... but then what? Secret Bases have long been seen as frivolous additions to the in-game experience of RSE, though this assumption is extremely misguided; Secret Bases, when used correctly, can become extremely important locations in EV training or experience building.

The Basics

What is a Secret Base?
Secret Bases are customizable areas located throughout Hoenn. Only Pokémon who know the move Secret Power (TM43) can make secret bases, and only in certain bushes, trees, or wall indentations. Players can also share their Secret Bases with friends by mixing records.

Why Mix Records?
Mixing records allows you to not only enter your friend’s Secret Base, but also allows you to battle them after you beat the Elite Four (note that records can be mixed prior to beating the Elite Four, only battling will not be enabled). The Pokémon your opponent uses to battle you are the same Pokémon your friend had in their party at the time of the mix.

After mixing records, Secret Base trainers can only be challenged once per day. [removed sentence: Although this seems very restricting, there's a way around this problem.] (This sentence is unnecessary and just takes up space. By using the word However, a reader can easily tell that there is a way around it.)However, Secret Bases refresh after mixing records again, making it possible to battle them more than once a day if you create a cycle of mixing records, battling, and repeating; however, mixing records only refreshes the Secret Base of that one friend, not all Secret Base locations throughout the game.

What’s the Use?
By carefully selecting your friend’s Pokémon, you (best to stick with either one or you, not to mix them. You is better, since you are speaking to the reader.) can abuse this trainer battle to earn experience points or EVs much more quickly and accurately than through wild or in-game trainer battles. By mixing records with multiple friends, a single player can host Secret Bases whose trainers focus on a single type of EV or [removed specifically] experience points.

Getting Started
There are a few things prior to battling that can help aid in the growth of your Pokémon. Such things include:
  • Macho Brace
    • Description: A held item that doubles the amount of EVs a Pokémon earns after defeating a foe, while halving the Speed stat.
    • Location: Route 111; Given to you by the Winstrate family after defeating them.
  • Pokérus
    • Description: A non-threatening virus that doubles the amount of EVs a Pokémon earns from defeating a foe. The effect occurs after factoring in Macho Brace boosts.
    • Location: Varying; Must receive the Pokérus from either a wild Pokémon or a Nintendo event Pokémon.
  • Lucky Egg
    • Description: A held item that doubles the amout of experience gained from defeating a foe.
    • Location: None in RSE; must be transfered over from FRLG or XD.
  • EXP Share
    • Description: A held item that alows Pokémon who did not enter battle to recieve the total EVs and a portion of the experience gained from defeating a foe.
    • Location: Rustboro City; Given to you by Mr. Stone after delivering his letter to Steven.
To make training as easy as possible for the player, [removed blurb: some peparation from your friend is necessary before records can be mixed. The most important thing that must be addressed is building a team that both focuses on one aspect of training and is easy to defeat.] (you really only have one thing that needs to be done to prepare, and that is the following:) your friend must build a team that focuses on one aspect of training and is easy to defeat.

Naturally, a Pokémon can only give a maximum of three EVs in any given stat with evolutions typically rewarding the most EVs. Therefore, finding Pokémon who evolve quickly and can be found easily are the best candidates for a Secret Base training team. Also, teaching these Pokémon moves that cause no damage to the opponent is a great idea so that low-leveled Pokémon can live through the battle long enough to glean the benefits of battling a team designed to be trained against. By using the Move Deleter in Lilycove City, you or your friend can create a moveset consisting of only one non-attacking move; the perfect moveset for a training Pokémon!

To create extremely weak Pokémon or give Pokémon certain useless or helpful moves, breeding may be implemented. By abusing the RNG of the games, you can easily breed Pokémon with inheritantly low IVs in every stat and a hindering nature, lowering the amount of damage that Pokémon can take by leaps and bounds.

Thanks to the Emerald cloning glitch, only one Pokémon must be trained to create a team; the other five members can be clones of the very same Pokémon. This not only saves time, but also keeps the weaknesses of the entire team indentical, making sweeping a Secret base training team nothing more than a simple button-mashing sequence.

Battle Rewards
By defeating foes a Pokémon can gain battle rewards, namely experience points (EXP) and EVs. While both are intertwined, it is typically easier to focus solely on EXP or a specific EV when training, since EVs are set in stone and EXP tends to fluctuate.

Experience Training
When a Pokémon is KOed during a battle, all teammates who fought against it receive EXP, the total of which depends on multiple factors. The level of the KOed Pokémon is an extremely strong influence on the amount of EXP gained for defeating it; the higher the level, the higher the amount of EXP for defeating it. A Pokémon's species, as well, determines the amount of EXP gained for KOing it, with Chansey and Blissey tying for the highest awarded EXP based solely on species. Whenever you send out more than one Pokémon(Active Voice vs. Passive Voice)to defeat a foe, the total amount of EXP is divided by the number of battlers and distributed equally. Finally, a traded Pokémon will gain experience 1.5x faster than a trainer's own Pokémon. Therefore, playing a single traded Pokémon against six level 100 Chansey or Blissey will yield the greatest amount of EXP any one battle can grant; something only available via Secret Base training.

Since level 100 Pokémon typically have high stats, breeding for low IVs is reccomended, as it gives low-leveled Pokémon a better chance at defeating them. Each Pokémon has a weakness that can be exploited, as well. Take our Chansey team, for example; though Chansey's HP and Special Defense stats are huge, its Defense is a measely five. Common sense says breeding Chansey with both low HP and Defense IVs and a Defense hindering nature will make them extremely easy to defeat.

In addition to lowering a Pokémon's IVs, teaching them self-KOing moves like Memento, Selfdestruct, and Explosion is useful, since they eliminate the training Pokémon in one swift move. In the case of Selfdestruct and Explosion, though, either teach your Pokémon Protect or train Ghost-type Pokémon only against them, so you're not risking an OHKO every turn.

The following is a nonexhaustive list of Pokémon complete with the base EXP for defeating them, how to easily get them, and moves they can learn that keep them from harming you.
  • Chansey / Blissey (255)
    • Safari Zone (FR,LG)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Mewtwo (220)
    • Cerulean Cave (FR,LG)
    • Psych Up (Heart Scale)
  • Latios (211)
    • Roaming (R,E)
    • Memento (Heart Scale)
  • Gardevoir (208)
    • Route 102 (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Breed)
  • Dusclops (179)
    • Route 121 (R) Mt Pyre (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Breeding)
  • Weezing (173)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
    • Selfdestruct (Level Up), Explosion (Level Up), Memento (Level Up)
  • Muk (157)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
    • Memento (Level Up)
EV Training
EVs are more concrete than EXP in the fact that they are not dependant on the level of the foe or whether the Pokémon being trained was caught or traded for. EVs are, however, do depend on the species of Pokémon, which is why building EV training teams is typically easier than creating high-leveled EXP building teams.

Pokémon award EVs in one or more of the six stats: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Depending on the species of Pokémon, one to three EVs per stat can be awarded. When training against a team of Pokémon who all grant three EVs in the same stat with a Pokémon infected with Pokerus and holding a Macho Brace the total number of EVs received with total 72.

Though many Pokémon award EVs in multiple stats, it is not in your best interest to choose Pokémon that do so, mainly because keeping track of EVs is labor-intensive and cannot be kept track of in-game; if you mess up, you have to start all over again.

On the bright side, though, no matter what level the foe is they will always grant the same amount of EVs. That means no time wasted boosting levels and more time EV training [removed what] your own Pokémon.

Below are lists of Pokémon (all of whom award three EVs in a single stat)categorized by the stat their EVs influence, the lowest level they are available at, where to easily catch them, and helpful moves they learn.

HP EVs
  • Azumarill (Lv 18)
    • Surfing (R,S,E)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Exploud (Lv 40)
    • Rusturf Tunnel (R,S,E)
    • Howl (level Up)
  • Nidoqueen (Lv 16)
    • Route 3 (FR,LG)
    • Tail Whip (Level Up)
  • Wigglytuff (Lv 5)
    • Route 115 (R,S,E)
    • Fake Tears (Breeding)
  • Clefairy (Lv 6)
    • Mt Moon (FR,LG)
    • Follow Me (Level Up), Splash (Breeding)
Attack EVs
  • Shiftry (Lv 14)
    • Route 114 (R) Swarm (E)
    • Growth (Level Up)
  • Machamp (Lv 28)
    • Fiery Path (R,S,E)
  • Victreebell (Lv 21)
    • Route 5 (LG)
    • Growth (Level Up)
  • Swampert (Lv 36)
    • Starter (R,S,E)
    • Foresight (Level Up)
  • Blaziken (Lv 36)
    • Starter (R,S,E)
Defense EVs
  • Golem (Lv 25)
    • Caves (R,S,E,FR,LG)
    • Mud Sport (Level Up)
  • Aggron (Lv 42)
    • Granite Cave (R,S,E)
    • Rain Dance (TM), Sunny Day (TM)
  • Poliwrath (Lv 25)
    • Fishing (FR,LG)
Special Attack EVs
  • Beautifly (Lv 10)
    • String Shot (Level Up)
  • Gardevoir (Lv 30)
    • Route 102 (R,S,E)
    • Teleport (Level Up), Memento (Breeding)
  • Vileplume (Lv 21)
    • Route 10 (FR,LG)
    • Sweet Scent (Level Up)
  • Alakazam (Lv 16)
    • Granite Cave (R,S,E)
    • Teleport (Level Up)
  • Gengar (Lv 25)
    • Pokémon Tower (FR,LG)
    • Haze (Breeding), Explosion (Breeding)
Special Defense EVs
  • Dustox (Lv 10)
    • String Shot (Level Up)
  • Ludicolo (Lv 14)
    • Route 102 (S,E)
    • Sweet Scent (Breeding)
  • Politoed (Lv 25)
    • Fishing (FR,LG)
  • Slowking (Lv 5)
    • Fishing (LG)
    • Mud Sport (Breeding)
Speed EVs
  • Raichu (Lv 5)
    • Viridian Forest (FR,LG)
    • Charge (Breeding), Light Screen (TM)
  • Pidgeot (Lv 36)
    • Route 1 (FR,LG)​
    • Sunny Day (TM), Rain Dance (TM)​
  • Jumpluff (Lv 27)
    • Five Island (FR)​
    • Splash (Heart Scale)​
Secret Base Placement
The last thing you want to do is place your training Secret Bases in remote locations; it's just a hassle trying to get to them every day. The best way to keep track of your Secret Bases is by grouping them together and/or placing them close to towns. Also, the less time you have to spend running from wild Pokémon, the quicker you can get down to business, so avoid tall grass and Surfing whenever possible. The following Route maps contain numerous Secret Base locations that are close to towns and clustered close together.​

Although few of these places offer enough Secret Base locations to host all seven trainers, having to place your Secret Bases in two Routes isn't a horrible predicament, since they are all just a short Fly away from one another.​

***I plan on putting this in a table when HTMLisation comes along, though for reference, brown is wall indents, light green is bushes, and green is trees.***

Route 116
Closest Town: Lilycove City

Closest Town: Mauville City
Number of Base Locations: 4 0 3

Route 125
Closest Town: Mossdeep City

Conclusion
As you can plainly see, Secret Bases aren't just about looking pretty. By applying the techniques discussed in this guide you'll soon have yourself scores of high-leveled and EV trained Pokémon to tear through the game with. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start training!​

An Other Tips and Tricks section doesn't seem likely, as anything I can think of has already been written up; however, if you think something needs a mention, let me know. =]
(I did not bold the replacements of "Pokemon" with "Pokémon" because there were 44 examples of it and it would be very time consuming. Note that I also changed Pokérus.)

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you for this Rawrcray0nz, I'll edit the OP and try to get in contact with a mod to edit the HTML.

And for your benefit, Pokemon doesn't need to have the correct accent over the "e", according to the grammar standards thread/page.

mingot

free agent
Don't waste time editing the OP. Whoever edits the HTML is going to want to use his edit sheet directly instead of starting from scratch.

Updated in SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)