[on site] Tips and Tricks: 4th Generation

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@Mendokuse: It works on Pearl too, I've tried it.

Someone should cover the Elite Four's Door glitch in early Japanese DP, and how to get Darkrai and Shaymin with it.
Now that anyone can get these events, or at least trade for them, I am not really sure this would be necessary.

I'm not sure if anyone's covered the tweaking glitch in DP, but that definitely needs to be addressed.
Practical benefit of this?

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Capturing Arceus, Darkrai, and Shaymin, though besides that nothing really.

If those things aren't important to in-game, than disregard it.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I'm against covering anything about tweaking, to be honest. Even though you can get to places like moon island, it's really dangerous. Last time I tried it I lost my whole save file (>.<), so I really don't think it should be mentioned. It's dangerous. Very.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Though we may be doing something differently Malfunction, the only thing tweaking does to my game is keeps the graphics from loading, and, in turn, allows me to walk wherever I want. The glitch can be turned off easily and without harm, adn the only thing I can think of that might cause data problems is saving in the Mystery Zone or Arceus's dungeon.

Though I agree, if there is a large risk involved in preforming a glitch, I wouldn't reccomend posting about it. However, I haven't had this problem with my method and consider it to be nearly harmless, assuming the disclaimer is put out regarding off-limits saving locations.

I "HTML-ified" your chart for you. Tell me if you'd like it done differently.

Changing the Current Happiness Level of your Pokemon

Increasing Events

Event|Change|W/Soothe Bell|W/Luxury Ball|W/Both

Walking 256 steps with Pokemon in party|1|2|2|3
Massage, Veilstone City|3|4|5|6
Massage, Ribbon Syndicate|5|6|6|7
Using Vitamins|2|3|6|7
Levelling Up|2|3|6|7
Using EV Reducing Berries|2|3|6|7
Using Healing Items|1|2|2|3

Decreasing Events

Event|Change
Note: The happiness level will not be affected differently if the Pokemon is holding a Soothe Bell, and/or is caught in a Luxury Ball.

Fainting|1
Using Energy or Heal Powder|5
Using Energy Root|10
Using Revival Herb|15
Trading/Pal-Parking|Happiness Value Reset to Base

Chaos669, thanks for the input. But I think really I needs to be more chart formatted. But that can probably wait for posting on the main site, as I'm not sure these forums support displaying HTML. So the photo I have it's probably okay for now, although I do wish I could make it say -1 etc. I should play around in open office some more.

I'll leave the tweaking and jap D/P glitch to be commented on by mingot.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We're not going to be doing the tweaking glitch. At this point there are legal alternatives to getting all events.

@ Chaos - When these things go on site we will have actual HTML to work with, so I am not sure we need the information forum-ified. But it is nice we have the text to cut and paste when that time comes.

mingot

free agent
ClikC: Although they are pretty common, I do think that synchronizers and flamebody for hatching deserve a mention here.

ClikC: Although they are pretty common, I do think that synchronizers and flamebody for hatching deserve a mention here.
Okay, I'll write up a general guide tomorrow for In-game abilities and their use for pokemon catching and hatching etc.

mingot

free agent
That's a good point and reminds me of a few other interesting things --

Compound Eyes for more items.
Thief to get items.
Pickup ability for finding items.

Since you said catching, I would imagine you will be mentioning the following:

Smeargle for all of the good catching moves (spore. false swipe, mean look)

And for breeding:

Ditto, the master breeder (although this is mentioned in the breeding guide a quick entry in the tips here would not hurt)

Smeargle - Lots of egg moves for ground egg group Pokemon. Might also include the best way/place to teach smeargle.

EDIT: Also, remove the numbers from the tips. The attached numbers have no meaning, so an unordered list is the way to go.

Yeah thats cool, i'll edit the numbers now.

I write up a big article on abilities that have in-game effects (that are useful to competitive battling), combined with some sort of section on 'useful pokemon every player should have'.

Dittos, Trapper Smeargle, Pick-up teams, Item Finders and Synchronizers etc etc.

I'd like to mention something that few people seem to know. The Pokemon in the Trophy Garden only change when you talk to Backlot. If you get two species you like in there and then never speak to him again, those two will stay in the garden forever.

The EV Rater wasn't mentioned here, so I just thought I'd post about it.

(Located at Sunnyshore City)

I think that the EV Rater should be added onto the list, as it helps double check whether or not you've got 510/510 Ev's on the specified Pokemon. It helps especially as without it, you could be missing 4 EV's in another stat.
Plus, it's just another reliable way to know that you've finished EV'ing the said Pokemon.

Okay, again thanks for the help and the suggestions, please please keep them coming. Even if it seams like a painfully obvious one, I am aiming to make this a great thread for newbie competitive players.

Also, really want some help with the following (as my PC lappy it out of action until I catch my latias);

Wanted;

For anyone else wishing to contribute I'm after the following;
  • Someone with some spare web space, willing to knock up my pick up table in HTML, and screen cap it for this article. Also, if said person can kindly host the HTML I have for the happiness table, and screen cap that too for the article. Much appreciated. It's also highly likely, when the time comes that said HTML will also be used for for the main site article, but that is out of my personal durestriction and in the hands of the people running this project. (MINGOT EDIT: Just put the chart up as text with | separators and it will get done during HTMLization, no worries, we're used to having to do these sorts of things)
  • Screen Capture Shots!!! Really Really need more of these done. Must be .png format. Please read the article for more. We're better of with more photos then we want, and picking those needed, than not enough. But the following rattled of the top of my head;
  • Screen Cap - EV ribbon women in sunny shore.
  • Screen Cap - Locations of people to speak to for time based manipulation. Swarm Girl, Mr Blacklot etc.
  • Screen Cap - Happiness rater, Massagers, Dr Foot step.
  • Screen Cap - The Rich couple.
  • Screen Cap - The various steps of the various guides.
  • Someone to test the GTS cloning in platinum, suggestions for any modifications to the D/P instructions for it. Need this confirmed or denyed.
  • Suggestions for what to seek out for this guide next. Keep them coming.

IV Characteristics are very handy.

IV Battles can be useful.

Have put up the chart in text from. I've colored it to make it (somewhat) readable.

I'll cover one of the suggestions tonight, and another tomorrow I should hope.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I think I can help out with some screen shots, once I finish what I'm doing right now.

Just PM with what exactly you need, and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:

The Rich Couple

If you leave Hearthome city via the southern exit, you will be in Route 212. Once there, if you head to the South (near the Pokemon Mansion, there will a couple of rich trainers facing each other. One of them (Gentleman Jeremy) has a Chatot, while the other (Socialite Reina) has a Roselia. Battling both of them will net an amount of about 14,000 (28,000 with an Amulet Coin) [Just need to confirm the amount] Pokedollars, and since you can rebattle them again with the Vs. Seeker, they can be used for quick cash. The fact that they both have only one Pokemon makes it even easier.

Um, isn't that what you want? I'll just need to confirm the money you receive in-game.

EDIT 2: Gaaah. Oh well >.>

mingot

free agent
I think I can help out with some screen shots, once I finish what I'm doing right now.

Slow down there. If you could finish up the tips and tricks and get the tutor location list for the FR/LG location list done before taking on any more work it would make me feel a lot more comfortable :)

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Slow down there. If you could finish up the tips and tricks and get the tutor location list for the FR/LG location list done before taking on any more work it would make me feel a lot more comfortable :)
Well I did say that I need to finish what I'm doing now, don't worry >.>

EDIT:

The Rich Couple

If you leave Hearthome city via the southern exit, you will be in Route 212. Once there, if you head to the South (near the Pokemon Mansion, there will a couple of rich trainers facing each other. One of them (Gentleman Jeremy) has a Chatot, while the other (Socialite Reina) has a Roselia. Battling both of them will net an amount of about 14,000 (28,000 with an Amulet Coin) [Just need to confirm the amount] Pokedollars, and since you can rebattle them again with the Vs. Seeker, they can be used for quick cash. The fact that they both have only one Pokemon makes it even easier.

Um, isn't that what you want? I'll just need to confirm the money you receive in-game.

Sorry, It's just the screen capture of them I need doing. I've already written them into the guide. But thanks anyway ^_^

EV checking and altering.

Checking;

The 'EV Checker' Women, or Effort Ribbon Women is a NPC (Non-Player Character) located in the Sunyshore city Market. She will check the leading pokemon in your party, and tell you either;

A). "Oh, your <pokemon>, It worked stupendously hard didn't it?"

Meaning that it has received 510 EV's. She will present your pokemon with an Effort Ribbon. Or she will say;

B). "Oh, your <pokemon> it needs to work a little harder."

Meaning that your pokemon has not yet received 510 EV's. Or she will say;

C). "Oh! That Effort Ribbon looks good on your <Pokemon>."

Meaning it has already received 510 EV's in total, and been check. Note, she will still say this if you wipe EV's away from a pokemon, as long as it holds an Effort Ribbon.

An Ideal method for checking your pokemon, for example a special sweeper with 6HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd. Is to give 10 Calcium vitamins (100 EV's in Special Attack) and 10 Carbos (100 EV's in Speed), then EV train so both stats contain 252 EV's. Then show the pokemon to the EV Checker at Sunyshore. If you have done it correctly, she will say option A. Then give a Single HP up to your pokemon, and check again. If she says option B. Your pokemon has very likely been trained correctly.
I'm pretty sure it should read "then show the pokemon to the EV checker at Sunyshore. If you have done it correctly, she will say option B" (the not-finished option) and "If she says option A".

Nicely done people, this looks great. I didn't expect to see more than one thing I didn't know on here, but lo and behold, there are a few. Anyway, just glancing around, there are a TON of grammatical and punctuational errors (what is with the semicolons everywhere?). If I get the chance I'll correct a portion of it tomorrow, it's way too late at night to do it right now.

Also, when you say the IV guy or EV woman, it's a bit ridiculous to say they are NPCs, since clearly they are a character, and clearly they are not... yourself. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)