[on site] Tips and Tricks: 4th Generation

Fantastic content! By the way, about the reference to my guide:

For an extensive guide to EV training in platinum, please read Erodent's comprehensive guide to EV training in Platinum; The Platinum EVing Manual.
Thanks, but the name of the guide may change. It's going to be completely a 4th generation guide as opposed to just being a Platinum one, so I'll PM you when/if the guide is updated.

Nicely done people, this looks great. I didn't expect to see more than one thing I didn't know on here, but lo and behold, there are a few. Anyway, just glancing around, there are a TON of grammatical and punctuational errors (what is with the semicolons everywhere?). If I get the chance I'll correct a portion of it tomorrow, it's way too late at night to do it right now.

Also, when you say the IV guy or EV woman, it's a bit ridiculous to say they are NPCs, since clearly they are a character, and clearly they are not... yourself. :P
As I have explained to Mingot, grammar and english, etc, are not my strongest points. I'm forever combing the article myself and finding errors. But anyway, the whole article needs re-wording and setting out so it flows nicely when reading it in order. I believe Jumpluff will be proof reading all content bound for the site, but any grammatical error corrections will be appreciated.

Fantastic content! By the way, about the reference to my guide:

Thanks, but the name of the guide may change. It's going to be completely a 4th generation guide as opposed to just being a Platinum one, so I'll PM you when/if the guide is updated.
Excellent, if you can keep me in the loop, I'll edit as and when.

Matt

As I have explained to Mingot, grammar and english, etc, are not my strongest points. I'm forever combing the article myself and finding errors. But anyway, the whole article needs re-wording and setting out so it flows nicely when reading it in order. I believe Jumpluff will be proof reading all content bound for the site, but any grammatical error corrections will be appreciated.
Yea I'm not throwing any "blame" your way, I didn't even know for a fact if you had written half the stuff, since you said you got a lot of contributions from other people. I'm just saying at some point it needs to gone through with a fine-tooth comb. Probably better to do that when it's complete, though. Keep up the good work.

Trimmed version of Mal's (bottom screen is unnecessary):

Also, technically, NPC = 'non-player character', so any character except your own is an NPC.

As I said, I can get you some screen shots of what you need. For example:

Good enough?
Thats fantastic. I went and cropped of the bottom screen (but then forgot to post this reply...).

Trimmed version of Mal's (bottom screen is unnecessary):

Also, technically, NPC = 'non-player character', so any character except your own is an NPC.
Damn! Forgot to mention I already cropped and edited in that photo. Thanks anyway. And yeah, I'm going over all the text trying to make it a lot less crappy. Will remove all the NPC references tomorrow.

Matt

That's OK. It took about two seconds. =P

I got bored, and when I get bored, I do too much... Will edit all my screenshots in as I go. I feel it's worth mentioning at least that the Psychic guy in Oreburgh lets you change your trainer type (for wi-fi) out of four based on your gender/trainer ID.

This isn't mentioned, I think, but Great Marsh / Safari Zone day event binoculars:

Double-posting for neatness's sake, and to let you know that I am working on grammar corrections for this article, and will have them posted within a few hours. ^_^~

Obviously, at this stage, there's not much known about HG/SS learnsets, and we can't fill in much information (nor do we need to), but here are some preliminary suggestions for useful Pokémon who are either common or have common pre-evolutions. (None of these will replace Smeargle or Bibarel ever, though. @__@) Sadly, Johto is a bit strapped for good Flying HM whores. Guess you're stuck with Noctowl/Murkrow/(Gol/Cro)bat there... or a traded-over Pokémon.

Furret
~ Cut
~ Strength
~ Surf
~ Rock Smash

Poliwrath
~ Surf
~ Waterfall
~ Whirlpool / Strength / Rock Smash (if Whirlpool is returned)
~ Strength / Rock Smash

Jumpluff
~ Sweet Scent
~ Encore
~ Sleep Powder / Toxic
~ Flash / Toxic / U-turn / filler attacking move

Jumpluff your amazing!

I'll edit in the photo's after posting this and I'll get covering your suggestions today, and thank-you for the up coming Grammar correction.

Matt

Apparently I didn't post this, so status update for everyone else: I'm HTMLising and correcting this at the same time, while I add in anything ClikC adds. :) It's a big article so I've gotten a start on it. Just so nobody wastes their time correcting it!

Regarding GTS cloning, you can just set the Poketch application to Number 5, which shows you your party Pokemon, so you'd know immediately if your Pokemon was deposited when you load up the game.

You might also want to note why the glitch won't work in Platinum - Through personal experience, cloning works in Platinum, but you will not be able to retrieve the clone. The system will kick you out and delete the Pokemon.

Regarding GTS cloning, you can just set the Poketch application to Number 5, which shows you your party Pokemon, so you'd know immediately if your Pokemon was deposited when you load up the game.

You might also want to note why the glitch won't work in Platinum - Through personal experience, cloning works in Platinum, but you will not be able to retrieve the clone. The system will kick you out and delete the Pokemon.
Thankyou Meultima, I'll add those details to the guide later tonight.

Interesting about Platinum, you'd think the system they had in-place to make that work would also work for D/P...

Hiya. I will post the HTML in the HTML workshop after this has been up for two days. Please look over it carefully for mistakes. The HTML has already been validated; the text needs to be checked. Also let me know of any details I need to add in. Thank you~

Here~

Hiya. I will post the HTML in the HTML workshop after this has been up for two days. Please look over it carefully for mistakes. The HTML has already been validated; the text needs to be checked. Also let me know of any details I need to add in. Thank you~

Here~
Okay jumpluff, I've been racking my brain, and here is pretty much everything I want to add.

How to clone using the GTS in D/P.

The 'GTS Cloning' glitch can be executed in D/P by following these steps;
  1. Enter the GTS when you are not waiting for any Pokémon you have requested to be traded to you.
  2. Put the Pokémon you are trying to clone up for offer, and ask for something people wouldn't just have lying around their boxes. You should ask for the less common gender of a Lv. 100 NFE Pokémon, something people would not have unless they specifically PokeSaved the requested Pokemon just to make that trade.
  3. As the game is saving, watch the ticking clock icon and how many times the clock has gone all the way around.
  4. When the clock has gone around about eight times, turn off your DS. If it says the Pokémon was put up for offer on the GTS, you were too late and did not clone it. The number of times that works for cloning differs depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi connection, so you should try different amounts of time by cloning something that isn't valuable to the average GTS user. Find the amount of time that clones the most reliably for you.
  5. Turn your game back on. There should be a blue screen telling you that your save file is corrupted and your previous save file will be loaded, but this is not a problem.
  6. Go into the GTS and take your Pokemon off. If it wasn't there, you DCed too early and the Pokémon wasn't cloned. Proceed to the next step if your Pokemon was on the GTS.
  7. Look in your party now. If the Pokémon isn't there, you DCed too late. If it is, good work! You have cloned a Pokemon.

You can also make use of Poketch application to Number 5, which shows you your party Pokemon, so you'd know immediately if your Pokemon was deposited when you load up the game. But checking your party is sufficient.

Note Although the process of cloning does work in Platinum, you will not be able to retrieve the clone. The system will disconnect you from the GTS and delete the Pokemon.
Berry Growing.

Some 'Berry Farming' tips not widely known.

Use Mulch, purchased from the berry masters wife, in the berry masters house on route 208.

• Growth Mulch - Reduces berry growth time to 75% of the normal rate.
  • Damp Mulch - Reduces the need to water Berry plants, but increased growth rate to 125% of normal
  • Stable Mulch - Increases the amount of time Berries may remain unpicked to 125% of normal.
  • Gooey Mulch - Increases the amount of times unpicked Berries may re-grow to 125% of normal.

Free berries are available daily form the Berry Master, and from the Flower shop in Floaroma Town where you may also find the Sprayduck key item for watering berries.

Berries dry-out and require watering, each berry typically needs watering a minimum of once per berry cycle (an average of every 6 hours), although the longer growing berries require two waterings per cycle for maximum results. Note; berries dry out slower overnight, so don't worry about getting up at 3am to water them. Also useful, is planting berries on permanently raining routes such as 215 or Route 212 south.

I always plant my berries so I can water them during a cycle change before sleeping, and water them first thing in the morning just after there next cycle change. This allows me to keep berries well watered and allows me to obtain maximum yields.

For more detailed information on berries relating to competitive battling, please read Blue Kirby's excellent guide; The Hitchhiker's Guide to Berries

Regards the article, absolutely brilliant editing and HTML work jumpluff I don't quite think I can praise you enough for the time and effort your put into it.

Minor points;

HP Loves to eat 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 (The bolded 30 is missed in the HTML, but included for all other 30 / 31's.

Only other suggestion would be changing the image/ screen cap of doctor foot print to the actual happiness rater. As he gives more standardized results. However, as I've just found out. The platinum happiness rater gives different phrases so I need to test this. Probably best to make a note saying these are the D/P phrases, and edit in the platinum ones later.

I THINK thats all, but as always, someone is bound to suggest something, or I remember something else the moment we consider this final...

Matt

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to do this to you jumpluff, but the word Berry should be capitalized always, according to grammar standards. =X

Okay, here is the happiness chart for Platinum. Interestingly it now has different phrases for the highest values, ideal for gaining maximum strength base damage from Return or Frustration.

"Oh, my... I think this one really hasn't taken too kindly to you." 0
"Hmm... It seems to dislike you a little." 1 ~ 49
"It's feeling neutral toward you. It's up to you to change that." 50 ~ 99
"It's warming up to you. That's my impression." 100 ~ 149
"It's quite friendly to you. It must be happy being with you." 150 ~ 199
"It's very friendly toward you. I can tell you treat it kindly." 200 ~ 254
"It simply adores you! Why, I feel like I'm intruding!" 255

Matt

Sorry to do this to you jumpluff, but the word Berry should be capitalized always, according to grammar standards. =X
lol I know =[ I was going to find+replace, but I forgot because we decided not to put the berry stuff in. Thank you for reminding me!

Adding those values into the HTML, ClikC, and then I'll post the HTMLisation. ^_^ Good work, everyone! <3

Technician powers up False Swipe to 60 base power and STAB increases this to 80

This should be STAB powers up False Swipe to 60 Base Power and Technician increases this to 90

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. This is in Smeargle's description of a Trapper.

Okay, started work on some HGSS tips. Expect a LOT of editing for these articles as further testing is done.

Heartgold and Soulsilver Tips;

Milking Kirt for Apricorn Balls.

To gain more aprocorn balls from kirt faster, simply follow these steps.

• Hand over the apricorns for the approprate ball you wish for, kirt can only make one type of ball, but can produce more than one at once (Limit to how many yet to be determined).
  • Save in front of Kirts house.
  • Turn your DS clock off, and set the time to 23:59 and load up the game immediately.
  • Let the day pass in-game (23:59-00:00).
  • Enter the house and receive your pokeballs. Repeat as often as you like.

Soft Resetting points for pokemon.

During HGSS's game play, you are often forced to encounter, or activate events which release pokemon. In order to gain more control and to SR are you convenince, here is a list of known points.

Lugia - You must encounter Lugia to forward in-game play and to progress to the pokemon league. However, you can defeat lugia, and after beating the elite four, re-encounter lugia at the same level as you would for your normal game, with differing IV's and nature.

Dratini - To obtain an Extreme Speed Dratini, after conquering the 8th gym, enter the Dragon's Den and proceed to the rear of the hut. Enter the hut and you will be quizzed by elders. Answer in this fashion 1. top 2. top 3. bottom 4. top 5. middle and a Dratini with extreme speed will become available to you. To claim your Dratini, exit the dragons den, encounter Claire who will give you a TM, then head back and speak to the elders who will give you your Dratini (if you have an open space in you party).

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sketch only has 1PP making it very difficult to use again in battle. So if Smeargle is faster, I will make it use another attack during Turn 1, and the second pokemon will use the attack I wish smeargle to copy. On turn two, I will make smeargle use sketch on my other pokemon, this causes Smeargle to copy the move from turn 1. If however Smeargle is slower than the pokemon containing the move I wish to copy, I will have Smeargle use Sketch on turn 1, and the other pokemon use the move I require.
Note that you could make smeargle hold the lagging tail to be always slower (or power items and iron ball to halve speed)

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ClikC, this has already been HTMLized so keep in mind that changes directly to the OP are going to be difficult to pick up and integrate. I suggest for anything new you go ahead and have a small section at the bottom to track net changes until we can either get the article on site and edit directly there or modify the HTML.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Free berries are available daily form the Berry Master, and from the Flower shop in Floaroma Town where you may also find the Sprayduck key item for watering berries.
You also get one free Berry every 24 hours from a lady in a house in Pastoria City. It's the house directly left of the Pokémon Center. It's always a Type-Resist Berry. Also, in Platinum version only, you can purchase Berries at $20 each from the Market on the basement floor of the Veilstone Department Store. However, only five Berries are ever available (as far as I'm aware):

Figy Berry
Wiki Berry
Mago Berry
Aguav Berry
Iapapa Berry

Also, just for completion's sake:

Girl in Pick a Peck of Colors Flower Shop can give the following Berries:

Cheri Berry, Chesto Berry, Pecha Berry, Rawst Berry, Aspear Berry, Leppa Berry, Oran Berry, Persim Berry, Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry

Berry Master can give the following Berries:

Cheri Berry, Chesto Berry, Pecha Berry, Rawst Berry, Aspear Berry, Leppa Berry, Oran Berry, Persim Berry, Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry, Figy Berry, Wiki Berry, Mago Berry, Aguav Berry, Iapapa Berry, Razz Berry, Bluk Berry, Nanab Berry, Wepear Berry, Pinap Berry, Pomeg Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Qualot Berry, Hondew Berry, Grepa Berry, Tamato Berry, Cornn Berry, Magost Berry, Rabuta Berry, Nomel Berry

Woman in houst next to Pokémon Center can give the following Berries:

Occa Berry, Passho Berry, Wacan Berry, Rindo Berry, Yachi Berry, Chople Berry, Kebia Berry, Shuca Berry, Coba Berry, Payapa Berry, Tanga Berry, Charti Berry, Kasib Berry, Haban Berry, Colbur Berry, Babiri Berry, Chilan Berry

(I know BK's guide tells us this as well, but it'd be easier to view which berries you can get this way).

On free pokemon for DP you have Togepi/Riolu/Eevee listed and it should be Happiny/Riolu/Eevee.

EDIT:also I know this is nitpicky but for the Extremespeed Dratini, all I did was talk to Clair and surfed back to the hut. I never left the Dragon's Den and I still got a Dratini.Unless I imagined getting out and coming back in.(which I highly doubt)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)