Challenge One of the hardest Pokemon questions of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Using this solution at all requires a cooperative opponent selecting the right move for any Pokemon that isn't naturally weak against Fighting or Fire. If we're already operating on that assumption, then we just need the opponent to select Skill Swap. Again, I suspect that requiring a cooperative opponent in move selection is no better than requiring a cooperative opponent in ability selection, but a cooperative Imposter Ditto is guaranteed to be hit SE regardless of speed tie hax.
Not true, since you can't cooperate to lose a speed tie, something out of the two Pokemon's control. Regardless, movement selection does not fulfill the requirement to hit all Pokemon super effectively.

Not true, since you can't cooperate to lose a speed tie, something out of the two Pokemon's control. Regardless, movement selection does not fulfill the requirement to hit all Pokemon super effectively.
You don't have to lose the speed tie though - as long as the Ditto-Kecleon uses Skill Swap, it will be hit super effectively whether it moves first or second. It's no more of a problem than all the Pokemon who aren't Fire/Fighting weak that would need to use a Fire weak/Fighting weak move after being hit with Skill Swap before they would be hit super effectively. This is only a solution if the opponent always chooses the right move to become susceptible to Fire/Fighting after Protean, so Imposter Ditto isn't specifically an issue. The Kecleon set solves the question for all opponents if a cooperative opponent is assumed; Imposter Ditto is not an exception. Just to be clear, I haven't been trying to argue that this set necessarily solves the question; given that the solution has to take into account all abilities, I'd assume it would have to take into account all possible moves, and thus a different set is required. That being said, the question does use the phrasing "can hit" rather than "hits" (well, the translation in the OP makes that distinction - can anyone clarify if it's there in the Japanese as well?); if there is any wording technicality involved, I'd suggest it has something to do with picking a set that has the potential to hit every other Pokemon super effectively, but won't successfully do so in all cases.

Copycat should be able to hit all pokemon for SE damage. If you outspeed the foe, you can also know what move you will copy, barring priority (or faster priority, in case of Prankster Copycat). Because of that,

Liepard @ Focus sash
Ability: Copycat
- Copycat
- Play Rough
- Aerial Ace
Copycat is your main weapon, Play Rough is there for SE coverage on a lot of foes (including Sableye/Spiritomb as they can't learn any Fairy moves). Aerial Ace is for the early-game bugs that have pathetic movepools.

Copycat should be able to hit all pokemon for SE damage. If you outspeed the foe, you can also know what move you will copy, barring priority (or faster priority, in case of Prankster Copycat). Because of that,

Liepard @ Focus sash
Ability: Copycat
- Copycat
- Play Rough
- Aerial Ace
Copycat is your main weapon, Play Rough is there for SE coverage on a lot of foes (including Sableye/Spiritomb as they can't learn any Fairy moves). Aerial Ace is for the early-game bugs that have pathetic movepools.
Even if we allow "cooperative opponents" Tynamo still laughs at this.

Arceus requires a way to add a type (Trick-or-Treat/Forest's Curse) or a Fighting type move, Gourgeist can't hit Spiritomb/Sableye and Trevenant fails at everything so adding a type is out, which means we need a Fighting attack for Arceus.
Tynamo is another problem, requiring either Ground+some way to change or ignore ability (and sadly Ground+Fighting doesn't even come close to getting perfect SE coverage), or some way to change type.

Basically we need
  • A Fighting type Attack
  • Some way to change the opponents type
  • An attack to hit the type we changed it to for SE damage
  • Not cockblocked by abilities

You know, I really like how this thread is making the community work together to solve a nigh-impossible puzzle. Nigh-impossible puzzles are my thing, so let's see if I can contribute. I'm sure that the answer will be totally out of left field, but in the meantime this is fun! Here are some ideas I and others came up with that I realize don't work:

-Soak + Electric/Grass attack + Fighting attack. Blocked by Chinchou/Lanturn or by Pelipper, depending on whether you use Electric or Grass. Also Magic Bounce.
-Colour Change + Skill Swap + Dark attack + Fighting attack: Blocked by Aegis and Arceus. Dark + Fighting attacks don't work because of Sableye and Spiritomb.
-Protean + Skill Swap + Encore: Kecleon can't learn Encore; Greninja can't learn either of them.
-Forest's Curse + SE on Grass: Blocked by mons that resist it.
-Trick-or-treat + Fighting move + Ghost move: Blocked by Sableye/Spiritomb.

The biggest enemies in this problem are:
-Sableye/Spiritomb
-Aegislash
-Arceus

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Assuming it is only the XY Pokedex, could Trevenant with Forest's Curse, Poison Jab, and X-Scissor not work?
Forrest curse adds the type on to the pokemon, so a Steel-type that has been affected would be neutral to bug and immune to poison. It was a good thought though :(

-Soak + Electric/Grass attack + Fighting attack. Blocked by Chinchou/Lanturn or by Pelipper, depending on whether you use Electric or Grass. Also Magic Bounce.
Pelipper is affected by Soak as it isn't pure Water and doesn't have an ability that makes it immune to Water-type moves (Rain Dish only reacts to Rain, unlike Dry Skin)

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, so it does not change the type?
Not fully no. say you use it on a Meowstic, instead of becoming pure grass, it will become psychic / grass. When used on a Talonflame, it will become a Fire / Flying / Grass etc. The only move that actually completely changes a pokemon's typing is Soak unfortunately. :[

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pelipper is affected by Soak as it isn't pure Water and doesn't have an ability that makes it immune to Water-type moves (Rain Dish only reacts to Rain, unlike Dry Skin)
But mantine has the exact same type as Pelipper and has Water Absorb (i assume thats what the person meant), sorry

But mantine has the exact same type as Pelipper and has Water Absorb (i assume thats what the person meant), sorry
Ugh, why are there so many Water-immune abilities on so many Pokémon. Why couldn't Basculin just learn a Grass or Electric move without it being Hidden Power?

Seeing as apparently the inventor of the quiz is making more quizzes, can we build this thread to be about the following quizzes as well?
We could also contain the quizzes which were made before in the opening, because I think many people would be interested with what the quiz master came up with.

A question: It says we can't use the mentioned exploits, but does that also mean the opponent can't have them as well?

By the way: Conversion, Conversion 2 and Reflect Type are means to foil your plans to change the opponent's type.

EDIT: I have an idea:
Since we're already assuming a cooperative opponent, Sableye and Spiritomb can be beaten by Skill Swap/Feint Attack/Brick Break Kecleon if they come into battle with a Ring Target. We can safely say this is the case as our opponent can always foil our plan by using moves on his own to counter us (such as Skill Swapping after we do, using Conversion, Delete Color Change before we pass it...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)