One Out of Four-hundred - Late Newark Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I so apologize for being late with this, but hey, it's better that I get this done now than later, amirite?

June 11th, 2010

June 11th was a fun day, as it was my graduation from elementary school. I ended up graduating third in my class, so that was good. Party and stuff, and it was fun.

June 12th, 2010

My day started at midnight, as usual. The party was nearly over, and at around 3:00 AM, all the guests had left, except for Phillip and Liam. They were going to sleep over for the "night". The night before, we had a few practice matches, and made a few team adjustments. I wanted to put Choice Specs on my Palkia, and then give it Dragon Pulse for added PP and Accuracy, but it was a risky thought. Phillip joked that I was going to lose when Spacial Rend misses, but I thought I would be fine. Still, I was afraid of the infamous Hitmontop. We slept the night at my house (SEPARATELY, mind you).

Before I go onto the next day, I would like to write out Team Bloody Roses' teams:

Code:
Kristian Mosquito's team

Story of an Eastern Woodland

[IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/shiny/484.png[/IMG]  [IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/shiny/392.png[/IMG]  [IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/shiny/483.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/shiny/460.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/shiny/376.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://veekun.com/dex/media/heartgold-soulsilver/488.png[/IMG]

"[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFwAEiGLCk4"]SliferExeP[/URL]" the (shiny) Palkia@Haban Berry
Timid 255 Sp Atk/255 Speed
24-30-24-31-26-31
-Spacial Rend
-Thunder
-Protect
-Blizzard

"[URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omgbbq"]OMGBBQ[/URL]!" the (shiny) Infernape@Focus Sash
Hasty 132 Atk/140 Sp Atk/236 Speed
28-31-31-31-29-31
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Helping Hand
-Fake Out

"[URL="http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Za_Warudo"]Za Warudo![/URL]" the (shiny) Dialga@Lum Berry
Quiet 252 HP/252 Sp Atk/4 Sp Def
23-12-29-31-31-00
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Trick Room

"[URL="http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/1996/16-Feb-96.html"]Feb. 1996[/URL]" the (shiny) Abomasnow@Life Orb
Quiet 252 HP/148 Atk/4 Def/60 Sp Atk/44 Sp Def
31-31-31-31-29-01
-Blizzard
-Wood Hammer
-Protect
-Ice Shard

(NOTE: My birthday is February 16, 1996. Yes, I was born in a blizzard.)

"[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_plot"]Parliament[/URL]" the (shiny) Metagross@Shuca Berry
Adamant 252 HP/156 Atk/92 Sp Def/8 Speed
31-31-30-17-31-30
-Hammer Arm
-Rock Slide
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion

"[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaguya-hime"]KaguyaHIME[/URL]" the (NON-shiny) Cresselia@Chesto Berry
Bold 252 HP/252 Def/4 Speed
31-23-29-30-30-31
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Hidden Power [Ground 67]

Phillip's Team
Palkia@Haban Berry
-Spacial Rend
-Surf
-Flamethrower
-Trick Room

Toxicroak@Focus Sash
-Sucker Punch
-Low Kick
-Protect
-Fake Out

Kyogre@Rindo Berry
-Surf
-Thunder
-Protect
-Ancientpower

Snorlax@Chople Berry
-Return
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Selfdestruct

Sudowoodo@Life Orb
-Rock Slide
-Low Kick
-Sucker Punch
-Explosion

Parasect@Leftovers
-Seed Bomb
-Spore
-Protect
-Substitute

Liam's Team
Groudon@Iron Ball
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-Fling

Zapdos@Yache Berry
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Protect
-Thunder

Ho-oh@Wacan Berry
-Sacred Fire
-Brave Bird
-Protect
-Recover

Garchomp@Haban Berry
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Crunch

Jumpluff@Focus Sash
-Sleep Powder
-Grass Knot
-Protect
-Helping Hand

Shedinja@Focus Sash
-X-Scissor
-Shadow Sneak
-Protect
-Confuse Ray

So I played GoodStuffs/Hail, Phillip played TrickRain, and Liam played Sunny Day. Anyways, we wake up at 6AM, eat, take shower (SEPARATELY mind you), dress, etc. At 7:30 AM, we leave our hometown of Bellerose, NY (in east Queens) to go to Newark. Our GPS f***ed up, but everything was alright. When we got there, there was a VERY LONG line to let Juniors into the building. We thought we had to wait at the end of the line, but they made a separate line for the Seniors. I thought we were the first at the place, but the new line moved in, and went at the end of ANOTHER line. We end up in line with a few other kids our age, but Team Bloody Roses proves too strong for them. We were in line for HOURS, but Phillip and I passed time by sneaking in the main room and watching Juniors.

Left to right: Liam (in cap), Phillip (no hat), me (in Fedora), sister (girl)

This guy was a good battler, and he tried using no ubers in the tournament. His team included parahax Togekiss, SpecInfernape, and Bronzong. I just barely against him in a friendly....

Eventually, the line moved up to the registration desk, but registration wasn't to start until 1PM. I did see dtrain and Serendipity/Cybertron, though, which was interesting. Phillip and I sneaked out to watch Juniors again, while Liam had more practice battles. It was interesting to see Hitmontops through the Junior division, and during the tournament, I rooted for Emily (the winner, who I later found out was sandman's little sister), and Serendipity's younger brother. Soon, the Juniors were finished, and Phillip and I ran back to our spot on line. We got registered, and moved to the "waiting to battle" line. While on this line, we got to meet Marriland, which was kind of interesting. He liked our team shirts (more on this later), and gave us his autograph on his "business card".

My twin?

Registration. You can see me, then Phillip, then Liam in our TEAM SHIRTS.

Marriland and his autographs!

So the battles begin.

Round 1 vs. (I forgot)
Electivire, ???, ???, Giratina

I forgot this dude's name, but he did have an Electivire, and a Rest Giratina. He was my first match, and as such, I was nervous (this was my first year competing). However, I eventually beat him, and then I moved to round two.

Round 2 vs. Michael
Zapdos, Lucario, Metagross, Latias

Alright, so you remember how Phillip joked how I would lose when Spacial Rend missed? Well, it just so happens it does here. He starts Zapdos-Lucario, and I start Palkia-Infernape. I know Lucario has the ever annoying Inner Focus or Steadfast, so Fake Out on it is a failure. I couldn't hit it neutral with Palkia (except for the shaky Thunder), so Fake Out on Zapdos won't work either. I decide the best course of action is to Helping Hand+Spacial Rend for a OHKO.

Turn 1
"OMBBBQ! used Helping Hand!"
"SliferExeP used Spacial Rend! The foe's Zapdos avoided the attack!"
"Zapdos used SUBSTITUTE."
"Lucario used Close Combat (~45% on Palkia)"
"Leftovers heals the foe's Zapdos"

OH MY GOD. Not only did it MISS (which wasted both of my Pokes), but he got up a Substitute. Now there's no chance of doing the Helping Hand strategy next turn.

Turn 2
"OMGBBQ! used Overheat (breaks sub)"
"SliferExeP used Spacial Rend! The foe's Zapdos avoided the attack!"
"Zapdos used Thunderbolt (brings Palkia to red)"
"Lucario used Close Combat (Brings Infernape to yellow)
"Leftovers:

FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK! It missed again?!? That's a 0.25% chance! What?!? Now I'm doomed.... It was game over from this point....

Turn 3
"Lucario used Extremespeed (brings Palkia to about ~3 HP)
"OMGBBQ used Close Combat (brings Lucario to 1 HP thanks to Focus Sash)
"SliferExeP used Spacial Rend (finally fucking hits, brings Zapdos to yellow)
"Zapdos used Thunderbolt (KOs Zapdos)
"Leftovers"

3-4 him. Slifer the Executive Producer faints. This sucks. I send in the Blizzard of February 1996 that I was born in to deal with Zapdos).

Turn 4
"Feb. 1996 used Protect!"
"Lucario used Extremespeed (KO Infernape)
"Zapdos used Heat Wave (protected)
Hail, KO Lucario, Leftovers Zapdos

2-3. I'm fucked at this point, so I just hope that I win. I send in XXI-The World, while he sends in a Metagross.

Turn 5
"Feb 1996 used Ice Shard (brings Zapdos to ~3 HP)"
"Zapdos used Heat Wave (KOs Abomasnow, Crits AND Burns Dialga, which gets heal due to Lum Berry. Dialga at ~55%)
"Metagross used Earthquake (brings Dialga to ~20%)
"Za Warudo! used Flamethrower (brings Metagross to red)
Hail, KOs Zapdos.

So, the chance of burn AND crit is .625%. The chance of all this hax in this battle is .0015625 PERCENT. That's 1.5625 out of 1000 chance >.< He sends in Latias, and I wish him good game at this point.

Turn 6
"Metagross used Bullet Punch (Dialga goes to ~12%)
"Latias used Dragon Pulse (KOs Dialga)

I lose the match, upset at myself how I lost Round 2. I go out, upset, wishing I had Dragon Pulse. Liam gets up to Round 4 (in Round 3, his opponent accused him of hacking due to "Discharge doing too much damage"), but loses Round 4 when his Jumpluff's Sleep Powder misses. It is interesting to note, however, that we found out that Liam's opponent was a hacker, whose Rayquaza did NOT have Air Lock. If only Liam had called for a hack check.... Phillip, however, wins his Round 4 match, and gets into the finalists lounge.

Round 1 Match

Round 2 Match

Liam and Phillip moving to Round 3

The walk of shame

Hey, Phillip in the Finalists Lounge!

So after the epic tournament, Phillip enjoys some time in the Finalist lounge. He was the 5th of 48 to get there. Since there was a lot of time left, we decided to take pictures, eat, and have some battles (Phillip had his game taken for hack checks :P). I did meet Michael again after he lost, and I rematched him, and BEAT him. WTF? Why couldn't that happen in the tournament? In this intermission, we also meet a LOT of Smoggers, including chalkey, VashTheStampede, BlueCookies, TTS, and some others.

Team Bloody Roses. Liam out Round 4, Phillip in Finalists Lounge, Kristian out Round 2

Talking to chalkey, in red.

Vash and I traded stuff ABOVE OUR NECKS. His sunglasses for my glasses, his World's hat for my Fedora.

So anyways, remember how I said Marriland liked our team shirts? Here's the story:
On my 14th Birthday, I had a birthday party, and all the guests were given a shirt that said "Tomorrow is Yesterday". I named it after the store in Illinois, which has regular Pokémon TCG tournaments. It just so happens that MARRILAND'S MOM runs the league there, and Marriland visits it often. Because of this, he ofund our shirts interesting, and wanted pictures of us. Soon, the finalists are called back to the lounge, and Phillip goes back. The finalists are given their cards: 47 Finalists (one was DQed for hacking). 17 people were given purple cards (bye to Top 32), while the other 30 got green cards (have to play an extra round). Unfortunately, Phillip got a green (he said his green card was in between a lot of purple cards, meaning the cards weren't shuffled well enough.), and he moved to his station against his opponent.

The team and Marriland

Phillip going back to the finalist's lounge, with chalkey being funny

Phillip, with his opponent in black.

Phillip goes to his match, and we cheer him on. In the end, he loses. He lost against Groudon-Cresselia-Kyogre-Abomasnow. He lost due to two main reasons: He Fake Out Cresselia when it used Helping Hand, thinking it would Trick Room, and he HAD FLAMETHROWER OVER PROTECT ON HIS PALKIA. There really was no way to beat that, as he needed Flamethrower in the previous rounds against Abomasnow. In the end, it's his Snorlax and Palkia against Abomasnow and Cresselia. He would have won if Palkia had Protect (a la Selfdestruct), but he now can't explode, and as such loses. We stay and continue to watch matches by BlueCookies, Serendipity, dtrain, TTS, chalkey, Amato, etc. My sister notes that chalkey's team is named after famous philosophers, which interests me, since one is named "Norton" (I thought it was named after the anti-virus program). The Top 4 gets down to TTS vs. Chalkey, and Amato vs. Serendipity. Afterwards, the EPIC finals come on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4gbWto9YQ [Part 1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIGIWCkrzY [Part 2]

After the finals, we leave immediately, enthusiastic for next year, when we hope to win. However, we were tired, with only two to three hours of sleep. 'Til next year I suppose.

Victoria della Rosarium della Stella - Victory of the Rose Garden of the Stars

That is what we aim for next year, my friends.

Props
-Meetings lots of cool people and Smoggers
-Playing in an official tournament
-NO MORE LOTTERY
-Phillip getting to Round 5, Liam to Round 4
-Me designing all of our teams

Slops
-Lack of sleep
-Some people not getting in due to lateness
-Overpriced food
-THE FUCKING ONE OUT OF FOUR-HUNDRED CHANCE OF MISSING
-Liam's Sleep Powder missing
-Liam's opponent having a Rayquaza WITHOUT Air Lock on it (While Ray was out, pokes were being buffeted by Sandstorm).
-Phillip's lack of Protect, and making a mistake
-Not talking enough to Smoggers
-Being young compared to you guys
-Serendipity's DOUBLE BLIZZARD MISS

Next year, I'm going to somehow defeat luck :T

First of all, sucks that you lost in R2 due to insane amount of hax. Secondly, I was even younger than you, I was born April 3rd 1996, which was Passover Eve (I am Jewish which makes that EPIC), and there were a lot of people who just got to the Senior division this year. Third of all there were two people who got DQ'ed. Finally I am sad I did not get to meet you over there.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My sister notes that chalkey's team is named after famous philosophers
Heh, at least I wasn't the only one. I pointed it out during our match and he said I was the only person all day to notice.

I'll see you there next year :)

Sucks about the hax man .-.

I would've played it differently though, to be honest. Safest way to cancel Lucario's Sash AND hitting Zapdos with a 100% accuracy move would be switching in Aboma for Infernape and shoot off a Blizzard. You need to sacrifice Aboma anyway because it has no Sash and 3 Mons of your opponent are able to OHKO it. Then Infernape and Dialga have a much better shot at winning.

But yeah, this still sucks. Spacial Rend + Helping Hand would've been a OHKO if it had hit.

Hax kills us all, it's just a matter of time. Argh, I didn't really get to talk to you but ah well, next year! Young people ftw xD

And yeah, Double Blizzard miss = UGHHH haha

Hax kills us all, it's just a matter of time.

And yeah, Double Blizzard miss = UGHHH haha
I simply hate how true that is. Your Double Blizzard miss, me getting frozen on the switch in with my Giratina, Spacial Rend double missing for the person who made this thread and if I even begin trying to list everything I better have a lot of free time on my hands to even try typing it all up, even if I have it all in front of me!

Sucks to hear you got knocked out so early; I know how it feels. I was in the same boat, getting knocked out in R3 this year due to terrible hax as well!

I actually talked to you a bit, didn't realize who you were on the forums! In that last picture, the short kid in the grey shirt, on the bottom right corner, happens to be my brother. I remember you commenting that his leads were identical to yours. :P (Heck the entire team was similar except he used Kyogre instead of Dialga!)

Here's to better luck next year for us all!

Oh god 1/400? >.< Any move with 90 accuracy ALWAYS misses on me. Hopefully next year you won't get so severly hax'd. That pic of you guys and marriland made me lol cause of the random kid eating ice cream xD I wish I saw you there!

I am just curious to why Philip wasn't in the circle of Smogoners inside the finalists lounge. We all crowded together and were talking. Also I find it funny how you designed their teams yet they did better than you, I know it was due to hax, but it is still funny.

I am just curious to why Philip wasn't in the circle of Smogoners inside the finalists lounge. We all crowded together and were talking. Also I find it funny how you designed their teams yet they did better than you, I know it was due to hax, but it is still funny.
Phillip isn't a Smogger >.< H really only knows people from NBS, so yheah. It is interesting, but I think it proves I trained them well :P Next time, I should use a less risky team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)