Media One Piece (spoilers!)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah that last chapter was good hnngh

I found post-time skip Aokiji. Akainu fucked him up. Looks like he's got scars (badass scars from the looks of it, its one of akainu's powers; to give people badass scars) and a prosthetic leg. (Damn...)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Where did you find that picture?

ps hi janiro
I found it on neogaf.

it's concept art for aokiji's appearance in the one piece z movie. supposedly its canon, but don't quote me on that.

I'm hoping Aokiji also did a number on Akainu. I hate that fucker.
Knowing Oda, he'll be fine. More reasons to hate his guts.

Akainu is the biggest bastard in all of One Piece

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I can't believe Akainu would be fine after what was it, 10 days? If Aokiji has to resort to using a leg made of ice Akainu should have least have some kind of scarring.

Also, PK you are my property now.

Yeah, there's no way Akainu just walked away from that fight without a scratch.

I really just wanted to bump this topic though because I want tomorrow to come faster and to pimp my sig :o

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Law showing those signs of cruelty that Kid, Apoo etc mentioned pre-timeskip, man I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot more Lawgasms.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"Joker's past" is obviously an Oda-ism set up for something significant in a future arc...

Don Flamingo is a Tenryubito? He was referred to as "young master" by his ally on the island and he does seem to have a lot of influence everywhere in the world, including the world government, pirates, underworld, individual countries...

He was also the original owner of the slave auction house :X

And lol vergo, "how am I going to eat breakfast now." I really hope this isn't the last we see of him (probably coming back in that Don Flamingo arc)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Epic chapter overall, especially Law / Vergo's conversation and Luffy's epic face (again).

I could have done without Usopp recycling the strawhat "we love luffy" speeches. Those were pretty awesome the first couple of times, but I'm kind of over it... especially in an arch with so little tension (relatively speaking). Caeser ain't Luchi or Moria, compared to the current Luffy. It's obvious that he's no match for Luffy. Therefore, it just seems corny for Usopp to go on a speech. Sorry, just saying.

edit: If Vergo comes back, I honestly hope he's :
a) severely weakened from this fight
b) so comparatively weak he's insignificant

One thing important about One Piece is that villains who get defeated never come back in as critically important/devastating enemies. Because, if they did, it would underline how stupid it is to not kill off your enemies, and it would destroy Oda's principle of "principles being crushed is more important than the body being crushed."

If Vergo comes back as a very threatening opponent, I'd be pissed.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
One thing important about One Piece is that villains who get defeated never come back in as critically important/devastating enemies. Because, if they did, it would underline how stupid it is to not kill off your enemies, and it would destroy Oda's principle of "principles being crushed is more important than the body being crushed.
I mostly agree with what you're saying but someone like Crocodile might end up being an exception to this, if he(and Mr.1) didn't return much stronger than they were at the end of the war then there would be NO point in setting them up. I'd say the same for Lucci and CP9 but I don't think they're coming back as antagonists.

The thing is that this is probably part of the Joker arc. Meaning Vergo wouldn't really comeback. Just regroup when the Strawhats face Joler and his crew. He will probably face off against either Sanji or Smoker next time(and obviously put up a bigger fight).

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Don Flamingo is a Tenryubito? He was referred to as "young master" by his ally on the island and he does seem to have a lot of influence everywhere in the world, including the world government, pirates, underworld, individual countries...

He was also the original owner of the slave auction house :X
I agree that Doflamingo's past isn't just a throwaway line but im not a fan of the tenryubito theory. All these things fit perfectly into his mafia/cartel boss type character.

Interesting to note that Doflamingo is probably one of the only people in the manga that has close to full immunity. WG won't mess with him because he's a warlord, and while he isn't strictly allied to a yonkou (can't be because he's a warlord), whichever yonkou has the Smile army will probably ally with him if required in order to protect their investment.

BUT

now that law destroyed the Smile Doflamingo won't have that yonkou protection, maybe part of Law's plan was to pit Doflamingo against the Smile Yonkou (probably Big Mam) in order to give his alliance a better shot at taking her down?

Big Mam had no use/mercy for Fishman Island when they couldn't uphold their part of the deal so I don't see her reacting kindly to Doflamingo being unable to produce Smile for her (assuming the yonkou is Big Mam).

Doflamingo was specifically mentioned to be supplying Kaidou iirc, but it seems Big Mam also has a Smile army, so it would seem that Doflamingo is merely a broker and not strictly allied with any Yonko. (This also seems to be suggested by the Shinokuni auction).

As for the chapter itself, I felt Caesar gave himself away to his subordinates a bit too easily. It would've been better if Oda had stuck with "show, don't tell", and had Caesar's underlings not overhear him call them guinea pigs, but instead realize it themselves when he wantonly and callously killed the nearby subordinates. It's a minor complaint though.

I also agree that Usopp's speech was a bit unnecessary (we all knew Luffy is going to roflstomp Caesar, this has been made very clear), but I think a factor we should keep in mind is that because of the nature of Jump new people are jumping (ehehe) into the story all the time. Oda might have decided that another speech was due in order to better acquaint new or first-time readers to Luffy and his relationship with the Strawhats.

P.S. I think Oda is going to give us a chapter-title story arc about Vergo after this.
P.P.S. I greatly enjoyed "Suddenly there was a shitty granny" in Caribou's Kehihihihi Adventure.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ELEPHANT GATLING!!
Definitely Elephant Bazooka..........

@Tobes - I don't think so... Unless it was stated outside the chapters, it was only mentioned that a Yonkou had an army of smilies. Kaidou has almost never been mentioned (He tried to stop Shanks from going to see the WB army, Kidd mentioned him, Garp mentioned him, Moria's whole thing with him.... that's it?)

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
agreeing with aldaron that doflamingo is a tenryuubito. it's the most sensible explanation for doflamingo telling moria his orders come from someone higher up than the WG

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
agreeing with aldaron that doflamingo is a tenryuubito. it's the most sensible explanation for doflamingo telling moria his orders come from someone higher up than the WG
I thought he told Moria his orders came from higher than Sengoku, so I just assumed Kong/Gorosei.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)