UU One Terrier to Rule the Tier (Peaked at #26)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Forte.EXE, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Forte.EXE

Forte.EXE

Yeah, so sand teams in UU got popular because Hippowdon finally got dropped into UU. So, seeing as I mained Sand last round with a far less effective auto-weather Pokemon, my original team could only improve. I actually ended up scrapping everything but Stoutland and focused on stacking hazards to wear down Stoutland's counters, but oh well. Peaked at #26 with this team, but I think I can go a bit farther with it. Problem is, I don't really know how to go about that. So, tear it to shreds completely if you must.​

Peak (open)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

• Stealth Rock
      • Every team's got to have an entry hazard of some sort.
    • Earthquake
      • Base 112 Attack is nothing to scoff at, even if it's uninvested. Earthquake's around so I don't end up using Struggle when Taunted, hit Roserade for decent damage on the switch, break some Substitutes, etc.
    • Slack Off
      • The all important one turn recovery move. Keeps Hippowdon healthy and stuff.
    • Roar
      • I prefer Roar over Ice Fang to rack up Stealth Rock, and possible Spikes, damage on as many Pokemon as possible, to aid the eventual Stoutland sweep.
    Hippowdon, one of the latest and sturdiest Pokemon to drop down from OU to UU this generation. Hippowdon is a strong asset to the team, providing Stealth Rock support, a strong physical wall, a pHazer, and a Sandstorm inducer. The EV spread is fairly standard stuff, 252/252 with a boosting nature. Last 4 EVs went into speed since they don't really affect anything anyway. Not much more to say about a hippo in a sandstorm.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Stoutland (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

• Frustration
      • I hate Return. I always forget to set the Happiness to 255 and end up with 1% damage. Anyway, I'm usually spamming Frustration when I want to finish out the game, or just weaken my opponent's Steel-types so I can spam Frustration later.
    • Wild Charge
      • Exclusively for Water-types, especially those of the bulky variety. Recoil hurts like hell.
    • Crunch
      • Hits Ghosts and Psychic types hard on the switch in. Useful for sweeping through the remains of a team if all they've got left are Pokemon weak to Crunch, I guess.
    • Pursuit
      • Trap Ghosts and Psychics, trap frail Pokemon to punish opponents for switching out, etc.
    If you're running sand in UU, you're running Stoutland. I mean, why wouldn't you? Good enough base attack, an ability that doubles its speed in sand, moderate bulk, and pretty much all the moves it needs to pull off a sweep. Other than Ghost Pokemon, which get mauled by Crunch and/or Pursuit, only the bulkiest of the bulky Steel and Rock types can come in on CB Stoutland's Frustration. Stealth Rock and Spikes support go a long way, weakening aforementioned Rock and Steels as they come in to absorb a Frustration.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

• Giga Drain
      • Gen V buffed up Giga Drain's power to a workable base 75. Extra healing is always appreciated, as Sandstorm will be removing Lefties recovery and I can't afford to be using Rest at every turn.
    • Spikes
      • More entry hazards. Spikes gradually wears down all the Rock and Steel types that cause issues for Stoutland.
    • Sludge Bomb
      • Smack around Shaymin, other Roserade, and it's STAB. Honestly, there's no other reason to run Sludge Bomb. Fuck Shaymin.
    • Rest
      • Natural Cure + Rest is easy recovery. Of course, being forced to switch out gives the opponent an extra turn to do something, so I usually stick to Giga Draining the shit out of everything.
    Roserade deals with two common Rapid Spinners by outright beating them one-on-one; Donphan and Blastoise. The only other Rapid Spinner is Hitmontop that can only really use Stone Edge to cause significant damage, which is only a 3HKO, not factoring in any Giga Drain recovery. The 252/252 +Nature spread is to completely take advantage of Roserade's specially defensive capabilities to the fullest. Even without any investment in Special Attack, Roserade hits shockingly hard.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

• Grass Knot
      • Honestly, mostly just filler. Hits Spiritomb harder than Shadow Ball and covers bulky Water-types, I guess.
    • Psychic
      • STAB attack and what I'll usually be spamming unless I see a Spiritomb or Houndoom on my opponent's team.
    • Shadow Ball
      • Provides coverage on other Psychic Pokemon. Hits Mew, Deoxys-D, yadda, yadda.
    • Focus Blast
      • Same as above, but for Normal, Rock, Steel, and Dark types. 70% accuracy sucks, but it's better than running HP Fighting. Helps against Snorlax and such.
    Alakazam is one of those new toys this round. With Magic Guard and Life Orb, it becomes a sweeper that can't be worn down through entry hazards, weather damage, or recoil. With a Focus Sash, it can stop a Pokemon mid-sweep even if its boosted its speed. I miss LO sometimes, just for that extra power, but Sash can really be a life saver when I need it. 252/252 spread again because that's all Alakazam ever needs to do anything on a team.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)

• Scald
      • Spreading burns all day, every day. STAB as well. Gotta watch out for Heracross switch-ins, of course.
    • Slack Off
      • One turn recovery is always great, especially with Leftovers being cancelled out half the time.
    • Thunder Wave
      • To be honest, I'm thinking about switching this out. Thunder Wave has its uses every once and a while, but they're few. Being able to nail a faster sweeper on switch with it is great though and helps Rhyperior in setting up.
    • Fire Blast
      • It's here for hail teams and pretty much ONLY hail. No sand teams enjoy facing Abomasnow, so Slowbro is the perfect lure for it. Most Slowbro can't harm Leech Seed Abomasnow, so to OHKO them with Fire Blast is especially great. Also can hit Roserade and KO if it's weakened. Same with Shaymin, I suppose.
    Slowbro's around to absorb Water and Fire attacks, lure in any opposing Abomasnow so I can keep a Sandstorm going, and be a physical wall alongside Hippowdon. Once again, basic EV spread, nature, and ability.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

• Substitute
      • Substitute eases up prediction on me and lets me launch a strong attack on a switch in. Also, blocking Will-o-Wisp from a Spiritomb is fun.
    • Earthquake
      • Classic STAB, you can't really go wrong with Earthquake.
    • Rock Blast
      • Stone Edge has let me down against Substitute using foes so many times that I've become slightly paranoid. Rock Blast can break Subs and still do decent damage while Stone Edge can only either break the Sub or miss horribly and possibly cost me the game.
    • Megahorn
      • Hit Shaymin like a truck, 2HKO on Slowbro (I outspeed), hits Mew and Deoxys-D for great damage also. Coverage is coverage.
    Rhyperior benefits from Sandstorm with a 50% boost in his Special Defense stat. That can be pretty useful for a last ditch counter to something like Zapdos with Hidden Power. 100 Spe EVs instead of the 96 the analysis has so I can beat out players that only put the EVs on Smogon and nothing else. I'm considering changing Rhyperior to a Choice Band variant, since I've heard so much hype about it.
  2. Yeah Galo Sengan

Yeah Galo Sengan

encore > grass knot on alakazam, it lets you shit on anything that isn't direct offense.
  3. Banedon

Banedon

It's a little ... hard ... to rate when you don't know what the team has trouble with @_@

Anyway first looks, based on what I can see. You have two physical walls. Why? Hippowdon is already a great physical wall, so there's no need to use Slowbro. You could instead go for a more specially defensive bulky water type, like Milotic or Suicune.

I think you should give Life Orb on Alakazam more of a chance. Sash Alakazam is a revenge killer, and you have Stoutland for that already. Try Substitute instead of Grass Knot, and use bulky Waters as set-up fodder for Roserade.

It's a bit funky to have Spikes + Stealth Rock but no ghost. Consider Golurk instead of Rhyperior, maybe?

Good luck :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)