[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

what do you guys think of Sun teams? I'm literally at the very top of the ladder with my current team, and now I just want to try something else. Sun seems interesting. But I just don't know if it's valuable when does meta.
I've been trying out sun. It's all right, but without heat rock it's difficult to make good use of sun turns. Exegguttor has been very good when it does get action under the sun, but it's tough to get him in with enough sun time without sacking Ninetales. Also, chlorophyll mons are almost useless without sun so it becomes tricky to use them effectively. Solar power Charizard is very powerful, but it is still outsped by a lot of stuff and once again its hard to switch in with enough sun turns remaining. Also, its severely crippled by stealth rock. Sun might be somewhat viable, but I'm thinking of abandoning it myself.

Congrats on getting to the top of the ladder though. What team did you use to get there?

Last edited:
I've been trying out sun. It's all right, but without heat rock it's difficult to make good use of sun turns. Exegguttor has been very good when it does get action under the sun, but it's tough to get him in with enough sun time without sacking Ninetales. Also, chlorophyll mons are almost useless without sun so it becomes tricky to use them effectively. Solar power Charizard is very powerful, but it is still outsped by a lot of stuff and once again its hard to switch in with enough sun turns remaining. Also, its severely crippled by stealth rock. Sun might be somewhat viable, but I'm thinking of abandoning it myself.

Congrats on getting to the top of the ladder though.
Dragonite, Aerodactyl, clefable, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Zapdos. Thanks. :-)

OK so judging by that you unfortunately have next to nothing that would be useful. I would say that you need to get to your Friend Safari and do some catching. Then get a 6 IV Ditto from one of the Wifi section giveaways and get breeding.

That's not meant to be harsh but assume that everyone that you face in these competitions have perfect Pokemon so you should to get on an even keel.
I know XD. I hunt in them every so often. Got some decent shinies from them. I also have a Ditto lying around I can use to do some breeding. Thanks for the tip though. I'll be looking for my shiny Ditto I have that I use for breeding purposes. Got him off of the GTS awhile back.

I don't count on winning. Participating is good enough for me. I'm more than used to losing in battles these days.

Dragonite should always be jolly if you wanted to outspeed Aerodactyl after a boost. adamant is okay if you want more power. but it will not out speed jolly Aerodactyl, and timid Jolteon. the extra power really isn't necessary unless you're trying to do more damage to Slowbro, which isn't worth it. keep Dragonite as a mid, too late game sweeper, or cleaner. you can use it early game, but there's a higher chance it can burned, or paralyzed which you really do not want. unaware clefable with Thunder Wave and with physical investments completely wall Dragonite. so make sure you have a answer to clefable.

Huh, I didn't think Tenta would be worth much here. What are you doing with it?
Tentacruel has really good bulk with the proper investments. it's my Spinner. also it completely shut down clefable thanks to haze. Acid Spray completely breaks it down , and counters it's calm mind set, as well as breakdown other pokemon. the ability of choice is liquid ooze. it would make grass types caring Giga Drain and leech seed think twice. sometimes I use it as a funky answer to curselax. Lol

Tentacruel's one of the more decent rapid spinners of this metagame that is capable of checking Clef with Acid Spray/Haze to remove its SpDef boosts and hit back with Poison STAB.

I think the role compendium I made on the previous page should be referenced in the OP to help newcomers build teams for this format.

Tentacruel's one of the more decent rapid spinners of this metagame that is capable of checking Clef with Acid Spray/Haze to remove its SpDef boosts and hit back with Poison STAB.

I think the role compendium I made on the previous page should be referenced in the OP to help newcomers build teams for this format.
Link?

this is a small example of how Tentacruel vs Clefable's Store Power/Minimize set looks like. The fact that set doesn't have room to run Thunder Wave makes it easier to counter. Even if they had multiple boost before Tentacruel was used. it usually ends the same if I have at least 50% of my HP.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/kantoclassic-326160840

don't double-post please

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragonite should always be jolly if you wanted to outspeed Aerodactyl after a boost. adamant is okay if you want more power. but it will not out speed jolly Aerodactyl, and timid Jolteon. the extra power really isn't necessary unless you're trying to do more damage to Slowbro, which isn't worth it. keep Dragonite as a mid, too late game sweeper, or cleaner. you can use it early game, but there's a higher chance it can burned, or paralyzed which you really do not want. unaware clefable with Thunder Wave and with physical investments completely wall Dragonite. so make sure you have a answer to clefable.
252+ Atk Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 90-108 (44.5 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (and chance to 2HKO without as SR as well)

This is the main reason imo for adamant, and it's quite relevant. If iron head isn't used, then definitly jolly

I'm personally excited to use Tauros and Vaporeon again. However, I'm surprised by the lack of eggy talk.
If I was not 100% sure I would get swept every battle, I wanted to go with a full Sun team, but the more I play around with the idea the more and more the team is just Ninetales and Exeggutor with 4 other random Poke
It's literally on the page before this one (page 4) lol but here's the link for the lazy: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/online-competition-kanto-classic.3563162/page-4#post-6650752
Just an add on, might not be what you are looking to add, but Blastoise has Fake Out and Aqua Jet.

252+ Atk Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 90-108 (44.5 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (and chance to 2HKO without as SR as well)

This is the main reason imo for adamant, and it's quite relevant. If iron head isn't used, then definitly jolly
I see what you mean. I just never had a good experience with it.

Anyone using Primeape? I have been and I think it's been pretty good. Sleep is regrettably rare, so Vital Spirit isn't much use, but STAB Close Combat does a lot, and Primeape is in a nice speed tier. Primeape is one of the few things to actually benefit from no items w/ Acrobatics, and it has other good moves like U-Turn and Rock Slide.

I'm running U-Turn/ Rock Slide/ Close Combat/ Acrobatics. Is that a good moveset or should I use Encore or something?

Is it best to run max speed on Gengar to speed tie other max speed base 110s, and outspeed other stuff like Scyther and Primeape, or is Modest a good idea?

Also, I've noticed a Chansey hasn't been much help for me. I've only gotten a single KO w/ Counter, even though I thought it'd be great, and my Chansey w/ Aromatherapy/ T-Wave/ Softboiled/ Counter can't do anything to special attackers immune to T-Wave, things behind subs as they set up, and the plethora of things at OHKO when I run Calm.

Should I change the set or just get rid of Chansey? I don't have a spinner or anything with Taunt, so maybe Persian or something? Persian is surprisingly good-I thought it would be terrible thanks to its stats.

I run Stealth Rock/ Ice Fang/ Rock Slide/ Crunch, and I just don't see where I can fit Taunt. Aerodactyl is one of the few things that actually outspeeds Zam, so it makes sense to have a Crunch to OHKO, plus it hits Starmie, Gengar, and some odd Pokes like Exeggutor hard.

Ice Fang OHKOs Dugtrio(apparently that joke of a Poke can survive something-namely Dactyl's Crunch,) and is also good for all those grass types you may see(Vileplume, Venusaur, Victreebell, etc.) and anything else weak to ice and not dark or rock, such as the rock/ground crew, tho they all take pitiful damage from a weak physical attack.

Rock Slide is the main move, ofc. Probably don't need to defend it except to say it's better than Stone Edge. More accuracy, and a 30% chance to flinch, which Dactyl can easily abuse.
252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 136-162 (104.6 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you're willing to sacrifice Rock slides accuracy, stone edge can be used as a replacemant for both crunch and rockslide, freeing up a moveslot for taunt. Or maybe just replace ice fang with taunt instead, as it has basically no usage outside dugtrio.

252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 136-162 (104.6 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you're willing to sacrifice Rock slides accuracy, stone edge can be used as a replacemant for both crunch and rockslide, freeing up a moveslot for taunt. Or maybe just replace ice fang with taunt instead, as it has basically no usage outside dugtrio.
Maybe...though I'm not sure. Plus Stone Edge is more like an 80% chance to OHKO Zam cause of accuracy. Ice Fang also has quite a nit of use outside of Dugtrio, granted it won't OHKO many of its targets, several of which can OHKO back, but still. Nidoking/Queen, DNite(think it's a harder hit than Rock Slide. At the very least five more accuracy,) Golem, Rhydon, Venusaur, ummm...I think that's about it. So less use than the other moves, but not useless. And if I were to get rid of it I think I'd like Aqua a Tail for the 4x SE on Golem and Rhydon, higher damage on Nidos, and still KOing Dugtrio(well, 90% of the time.)

My question was more about Chansey, since the set I'm using isn't working. I think Chansey itself is ok, but the moves aren't. Maybe I could replace Counter w/ Seismic Toss and Aromatherapy w/ Swagger. Or I could add Taunt somewhere. Is Healing Wish a good move for it?

Is Stored Power/ Minimize/ Calm Mind/ Moonlight a good set for Clefable? Mine is Unaware with max physical bulk. I think I should maybe get rid of Calm Mind.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/kantoclassic-326196478
This is kinda fun.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Dragonite, Aerodactyl, clefable, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Zapdos. Thanks. :-)
Just curious, how do you beat shell smash Cloyster with your team? Besides not letting it smash at all.

Edit: Nvm, unaware clef one v ones it

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been playing this quite a bit, just some first impressions here!

-As its been said, Clefable is probably the big center of the metagame. I've mostly seen Unaware Clefable, since it can stop big sweeping threats such as Gyarados and Dragonite, but Magic Guard is no joke either, since it makes a mockery of Toxic Chansey. There's also the Minimize + Cosmic Power set, which is extremely annoying to face without any way to phaze, since it can totally sweep you with Stored Power!

-Of the Psychic-types in this metagame so far, I'd say Alakazam and Starmie are the biggest threats. I feel like a lot of people aren't using Alakazam to its fullest potential though. I've just been seeing a lot of CM + 3 attacks, but the Alakazam sets that give me the most trouble by far are the ones that use Substitute with Encore or Disable, since those are less vulnerable to surprise sucker punches.

Starmie isn't as fast and powerful as Alakazam, but taking priority better has been a life saver against stuff like Dragonite, and Starmie's coverage is superb! It also gets Rapid Spin, which unlike other battle spot metagames, is very relevant here since we're playing in a 6v6 metagame. Most people use Natural Cure Starmie, which makes sense, but Analytic isnt bad either: Starmie tends to force switches out from some of the frailer stuff like Gengar, so that extra damage on the switch can be very handy! Also, watch out: Starmie DOES learn Minimize!

-Unlike RBY, I feel that having a Poison Type is actually fairly important, due to Clefable being freaking everywhere. Nidoking is the obvious choice for most teams: It can slam Clefable with Poison Jab (though this isn't a OHKO), it has valuable priority in Sucker Punch, and Sheer Force lets it use special moves well such as Earth Power, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam. It does suffer from 4mss however.

Gengar is also excellent, despite its problems with Calm Mind Clefable. You CAN use Clear Smog as a weapon against that however, and Gengar's access to Will-O-Wisp is very valuable!

Venomoth isn't really that great at checking Clefable, but I think its an extremely under rated threat at the moment, because Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance is EXCELLENT stuff! You can even use Baton Pass over Sludge Bomb to potentially set up other sweepers! It's been making an appearance on most of the teams I've been making, because its just so damn good at using Sleep Powder.

Venusaur isn't the best at checking Clefable, but that Grass-typing comes in handy against Heat Waveless Zapdos, and of course it has Sleep Powder and an immunity to said Sleep Powder, which can be a life saver!

Some Stuff I may test out

-Curse Muk. It probably gets stopped by more Pokemon than Nidoking, but it does take special hits better, and also gets Shadow Sneak, meaning it can smack Alakzam after some a bit of damage.

-Some people have also brought up Weezing. Weezing does get Will-O-Wisp which is always handy against physical threats but the lack of physical Poison moves is gonna be a problem against Calm Mind Clefable.

-Jynx. Jynx is ultra frail on the physical side and its a bit slow, but Lovely Kiss sounds excellent against slower threats! The Stealth Rock weak is also annoying, but it can at least use Dry Skin to screw up Water-types.

be careful. Cloister can still 2 hit KO clefable'
252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 80-95 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Don't know if most are specially bulky or not, but particularly on Darkrising's team physically bulky Clef makes sense-every Poke on that team has a higher base SpD than Def, even if it's by a slim margin.

EDIT: wait that's you lol. Seems like you're telling yourself to be careful...ok then

Updated the compendium on page 4 with "Trappers" such as Arena Trap Dugtrio and Block/Mean Look + Perish Song Gengar and Lapras (might be a bit too gimmicky but it's quite effective when it works) and "Stat Boost Removers" such as Clear Smog and Acid Spray users.

Before anyone asks, I'm NOT adding Magnet Pull Magneton because it's useless in this meta. Use Sturdy please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)