[Online Competition] Scrappy Skirmish

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Speaking of: Any hard counters in the meta? It causes major issues for my team.

I'm testing Dragonite, but he can't do anything major to it without a boast.
Mamoswine and Weavile are some of the best options for Zapdos.

Also sign ups are open so everyone that plans on participating remember to sign up!

Mamoswine and Weavile are some of the best options for Zapdos.
Makes sense. I tried the Rhydon evolution line, and let's just say it was a disaster in both cases.

I luckily have a Weavile freshly breeded from the Spooky Cup, but I'll probably look at the Swine a bit harder since it can usually tank a hit or 2 and strike back hard.

Weavile usually goes down if something even sneezes on it.

Last edited:
Any Pokémon with a pentagon marking can be used, meaning that Pokémon that are only obtainable in Pokémon X and Y are usable as well as stuff that can be found in OR/AS.
This is directly from the Pokemon Global Link website:

• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black,Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2,Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Poké Transporter cannot participate in this competition.

• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black,Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2,Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Poké Transporter cannot participate in this competition.
Interesting.

I'm almost assuming this tour is going to be flooded with them just like Rotoms.

Seeing as I'm essentially building my team around stopping it, it would be quite hilarious if he can't even participate. But I think if they were going to do that, they might as well just banned him.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

I really hope it's just a mistake. I've got plenty of pokemon that I've bred in XY and my planned team uses some of them.

Wow thanks for pointing that out guys! I just noticed that...It looks like I won't be participating in this one haha! I've got a lot of school stuff going on this week(especially), was going to go with what I had. This is very disappointing hope this doesn't become the norm

Although it says that on the unofficial regulations page, if you actually go to the official notes and regulations page when you register it says
"Eligible Pokémon are restricted to those that you caught, hatched from Eggs, or received as a Mystery Gift in Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire."
Pokémon that have been brought from Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 using Poké Transporter cannot be used"
If it were ORAS only I think it would have been mentioned more clearly since this would be the first one.

You guys almost made me flip a table if it only allowed pokemon bred in ORAS. All of my pokemon are bred in X because it's easier to get hidden abilities in Friend Safari IMO.

Anyway, my team is almost ready, and now I have access to ORAS move tutors so I'm hoping I'll do better.

You guys almost made me flip a table if it only allowed pokemon bred in ORAS. All of my pokemon are bred in X because it's easier to get hidden abilities in Friend Safari IMO.

Anyway, my team is almost ready, and now I have access to ORAS move tutors so I'm hoping I'll do better.
Agreed.

That would suck if true even though my current team would celebrate with no Zapdos, but it also means I would have to breed at least 4 Pokes again which would completely suck and all but end any chance of me participating in this tournament.

Edit: But looking at how bad this team is sucking, it might be for the best anyway

Last edited:
I should probably make a RMT thread but I just want some quick advice because there isn't much time until the competition starts.
This is my tentative team:
  • Jolly Metagross (Clear Body) [Metagrossite] with Iron Head / Zen Headbutt / Protect / Substitute
  • Bold Volcarona (Flame Body) [Rocky Helmet] with Rage Powder / Overheat / Bug Buzz / Protect
  • Jolly Breloom (Technician) [Life Orb] with Spore / Mach Punch / Bullet Seed / Protect
  • Modest Milotic (Competitive) [Leftovers] with Scald / Icy Wind / Recover / Protect
  • Bold Togekiss (Serene Grace) [Sitrus Berry] with Follow Me / Air Slash / Tailwind / Roost
  • Jolly Weavile (Pressure) [Focus Sash] with Fake Out / Icicle Crash / Knock Off / Low Kick
I think I should have Taunt somewhere in there. Also, I may be overdoing it with almost every Pokemon having Protect.
Any recommendations? Any major weaknesses the team has? I'm thinking that maybe I could replace Breloom or Weavile with a Prankster, either Whimsicott or Liepard.

I should probably make a RMT thread but I just want some quick advice because there isn't much time until the competition starts.
This is my tentative team:
  • Jolly Metagross (Clear Body) [Metagrossite] with Iron Head / Zen Headbutt / Protect / Substitute
  • Bold Volcarona (Flame Body) [Rocky Helmet] with Rage Powder / Overheat / Bug Buzz / Protect
  • Jolly Breloom (Technician) [Life Orb] with Spore / Mach Punch / Bullet Seed / Protect
  • Modest Milotic (Competitive) [Leftovers] with Scald / Icy Wind / Recover / Protect
  • Bold Togekiss (Serene Grace) [Sitrus Berry] with Follow Me / Air Slash / Tailwind / Roost
  • Jolly Weavile (Pressure) [Focus Sash] with Fake Out / Icicle Crash / Knock Off / Low Kick
I think I should have Taunt somewhere in there. Also, I may be overdoing it with almost every Pokemon having Protect.
Any recommendations? Any major weaknesses the team has? I'm thinking that maybe I could replace Breloom or Weavile with a Prankster, either Whimsicott or Liepard.
Alright, as I can see, your team doesn't need 2 redirectors, so you can probably replace one of them. In terms of taunt, I'd slap it on weavile over low kick as M-Kang is banned.

In terms of a prankster user, I'd replace one of those redirectors.

I made several mistakes, but I was still fortunate enough to finish day 1 7-3. I didn't notice any trends in common pokemon except Altaria. I barely saw anything else more than once, which is a nice feeling since it's been a while since there was a competition that wasn't dominated by a select group of powerhouses. Good luck to everyone else this weekend.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I made several mistakes, but I was still fortunate enough to finish day 1 7-3. I didn't notice any trends in common pokemon except Altaria. I barely saw anything else more than once, which is a nice feeling since it's been a while since there was a competition that wasn't dominated by a select group of powerhouses. Good luck to everyone else this weekend.
still breeding my gastro thought it sarted 15th smh

lol, I'm still breeding too. Thought it started Friday night.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh shit has this started?? I thought it was next weekend LOL. I have not built a team at all but I did register, so guess I'll throw together some things I have on cart already based on the usage stats of Special Season 11 (lucky I have both Metagross and Zapdos) and try my best!

ethan06 you know it was now??

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Nope, I completely missed it as well :'(
Well since I'm too lazy to get a Charti Berry I locked in Safety Gogges Volc :)
EDIT: I also did 3 games yesterday and am um 2-1. First one was Mega Pert and I let my opponent get free damage on my Gastrodon which allowed Pert to finish it off so I played poorly. Game 2 was lost to a Knock Off crit putting Gastrodon in Icicle Crash KO range. Final game was a 4-0 sweep with Goodra, Zapdos

Last edited:
Is there any way to unlock your Battle Box mid competition? I accidentally locked in a Mega Metagross that I forgot to EV train... :(

I see a "Cancel Participation" button but I assume that will prevent me from competing at all? Or can I cancel and re-enter?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Is there any way to unlock your Battle Box mid competition? I accidentally locked in a Mega Metagross that I forgot to EV train... :(

I see a "Cancel Participation" button but I assume that will prevent me from competing at all? Or can I cancel and re-enter?
There isn't any way to do this. The Cancel Participation button will probably not let you reenter (never tried to do this myself). That's very unfortunate.

You won't be able to cancel and re-enter. Did this myself once and found out the hard way that I de-registered myself completely.

Already had someone ragequit on me; they must've flipped their wifi switch cause they were losing, as it counted as a win for me (and my Wifi was fine). -_-

I don't get why people do that. If you're gonna lose, either play till the end of forfeit. Sheesh.

Went 8-2 on the first day...not bad. One loss was due to my opponent getting 4 crits in a row. O.o I was like "okay, I can still win this as long as they don't get back to back crits"...next thing I know, back to back crits. -_-
Oh, well...I don't think it's a bad score for the first day. At least all my items worked properly this time.

I've seen a couple Ditto, and a lot of Arcanine and Serperior.

Edit:
So...I have a question/problem. I did careful calcs before the tourny started, and determined that my normal-type 'mon, with the EV spread I had on it (248 HP/96 Def, Adamant Nature...I like bulky + hard hitting)...
...should have lived various fighting type moves.

In one of the battles I lost, an Arcanine used Close Combat on me, and OHKOed my pokemon without a crit when my HP was at 100%.
According to the calcs, the highest roll possible for a 252 Atk Adamant Arcanine with Close Combat (with Life Orb, and this one wasn't Life Orbed) is 95.8%. Yet, it one-shotted me.
Any possible explanation on how that happened?

I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Last edited:
Already had someone ragequit on me; they must've flipped their wifi switch cause they were losing, as it counted as a win for me (and my Wifi was fine). -_-

I don't get why people do that. If you're gonna lose, either play till the end of forfeit. Sheesh.

Went 8-2 on the first day...not bad. One loss was due to my opponent getting 4 crits in a row. O.o I was like "okay, I can still win this as long as they don't get back to back crits"...next thing I know, back to back crits. -_-
Oh, well...I don't think it's a bad score for the first day. At least all my items worked properly this time.

I've seen a couple Ditto, and a lot of Arcanine and Serperior.

Edit:
So...I have a question/problem. I did careful calcs before the tourny started, and determined that my normal-type 'mon, with the EV spread I had on it (248 HP/96 Def, Adamant Nature...I like bulky + hard hitting)...
...should have lived various fighting type moves.

In one of the battles I lost, an Arcanine used Close Combat on me, and OHKOed my pokemon without a crit when my HP was at 100%.
According to the calcs, the highest roll possible for a 252 Atk Adamant Arcanine with Close Combat (with Life Orb, and this one wasn't Life Orbed) is 95.8%. Yet, it one-shotted me.
Any possible explanation on how that happened?

I'm still scratching my head on that one.
Your EV's aren't calibrated for Level 50 - either 252 or 244 will give full stat points, assuming an HP IV of 31.

You might also have not done your calculations for Level 50 Pokemon. I recommend using Nugget Bridge's Damage Calculator, as it sets Pokemon to Level 50 by default.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)