OPEN DISCUSSION - Gym Concerns and Issues

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Leader Rediamond has resigned. We will be running Bug Qualifiers around the same time that we run poison Qualifiers.

In addition, we have decided that in the event that a gym leader is DQed, and that no Badge can be rewarded, the other player of the match can choose one of the following;

• Queue Jump - the player's next gym match where they are the challenger will take the highest priority in the Gym Queue, in front of all other reffings.
  • Temporary 3rd Gym Slot - The player can, at one point, challenge a gym when they have two challenges active or queued, effectively having three gym battles concurrently.

We're extending these out to Frosty, Canis Majoris, Birkal, and Rainman Legends, due to recent DQs. If you feel you have been missed, let the gym committee know.

Quick question, which may or may not have been answered already but I can't find anything on the subject so I'll ask anyway.
I'm assuming qualifiers aren't self-reffed? Because if this is the case, will we have open referee signups like we do for tournaments? When will they open? Will we require that refs are white-listed as per the tutoring program, or can any random dude ref the qualifiers, like on tower matches? Food for thought.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I can't answer the first part, but I can answer the last part: Gym Qualifiers are considered Gym Battles (as far as prizes go including), so only registered refs can ref them. But registered refs aren't white-listed (Registered need reffing 101 and white-listed reffing 202).

Technically self-ref can't be used for Gym Matches, including Gym Qualifiers, since they are restricted iirc to 2vs2. BUT I don't really care, so I may turn the blind eye if the committee feels like having them self-reffed. Although it would be better if the joy work is spread in more than one person (specially considering that the same person will need to give high-level orders on all battles).

Maybe we should overwork the evaluator as much as possible with reffings too so that he gives shitty orders and doesn't murder the applicants

*ahem* Well, the rest of what I was going to say has already been rendered moot, so... Thanks for answering my question, I guess?

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Also, would people who apply for a particular gym be kept from qualifiers for other gyms?
This should probably be addressed at some point. As it stands, only one of the 3 open qualifiers have more than one applicant. I don't know if allowing users to apply for multiple gyms would improve the lack of participation, but it certainly could not be hard to judge. If user X applies to both Dark and Grass, it would be easy enough to place hir in the gym sie performed better in and ignore hir for the other one.

Oops sorry, I never got around to responded to the above posts. I'm not really opposed to letting people run for multiple qualifiers. My only concern would be it might mean there would be too many matches for the examiner to keep up with (but I also think it would be fine :P). It's maybe a little too late to try it for this round, but if other people weigh in and nobody has any serious complaints, we can definitely try that next time.

Also, if anyone would be willing to ref matches for the qualifiers starting next week, please let the committee know (or post here). As of now we will need 5 refs. Due to their relative importance these will count as gym matches, and thus be given the extra pay associated with them.

Frosty

=_=
I don't see any problems in people running multiple qualifiers. As long as they are simultaneous (or however it is spelled).

Willing to ref a dark and/or dragon match.

Can I ref TSRD's match?

Well, given the fact that it was me who brought up this dumb subject in the first place, I feel the need to elaborate a bit more. What concerns me is the scenario where someone with a large enough pool of mons to choose from has to choose between two or three gyms to apply for. Do they run for the gym that they are most prepared for, or the one with the weakest competition? What happens if the two best players both want the same gym, therefore one eliminates the other and the second gym is filled with a sub-par candidate (or, at the very least, a not-so-great one)? Letting people run for multiple qualifiers allows everyone to showcase their skills and to make sure that the absolute best options are picked. I know this probably won't come up often, if at all, but I'd feel better knowing that whoever won faced the best competition podsible.

Frosty

=_=
I suppose I better let people know now so they can get ready.

I am stepping down from Fire Gym Leadership. While the gym was fun (for me at least), I need to do less stuff here and Fire Gym is one of the few things I can let go without much problems. Also waiting for refs to appear and opponents to move (and having to order on 2 more tough matches is a drag) is starting to piss me off. Dunno when qualifiers...maybe with bug, poison and fairy? I dunno.

I intend to stay on the leadership until the new leader is ready to be up and running (so I will deal with the queue). I also intend to stay if, by any chance, no one tries for Fire. But if you want to burn people, the stage is all yours.

Can I ref TSRD's match?
Elevator Music YellowAdminSilver What do you two think about this? We're on the 15th but ASB is in a bit of a reffing drought.
Frosty has had to load himself down with a ton of reffings from the tower so I really don't want to make him do this as well.

I would certainly trust YAS to ref my match and I would be more than willing to ref his. What do you two think or do you have refs already lined up EM?

Frosty

=_=
I said it to Emma: if the option is to have you ref each other's battle, I would prefer to just let Emma self-ref. If there aren't enough people willing to ref, then I suppose the show must continue somehow and in that situation self-reffing ought to be considered.

Sure, there are like 5 battles that will need reffing, so I suppose it should be best to mix self-reffings with other people reffing (include contestants if that ends up being necessary). Whatever ends up being faster so I have my opponents asap <_<.

I'll hate myself for this.

Will ref one qualifiers match. Just don't make it doubles or I swear I'll kill myself.

Well, given the current state of affairs and the fact that we're apparently going to have to ref each other, I guess I can ref one of the Dragon matches. Not ideal obviously, as anyone who's seen me stumble through my LLAMA match can tell, but crappy reffing > no reffing. Not gonna volunteer for Grass tho because I tried doubles once and almost died.

I'll do one of whatever (Grass is fine if needed, I don't like doubles but I can ref them if needed).
Might as well, one more won't hurt now that I've taken on reffing a few tower matches too.
There goes trying to focus on Quals above all else. =/

Easiest to put this here. A note about the DQ time I forgot to put for the qualifier matches:

We'll say 3 day DQ, I'm not actually gonna DQ people here though. In theory how much the candidate johns shouldn't affect whether we find them to be the "most skilled" or not. BUT, it probably will end up being factored into our decision, so I'd strongly recommend that all the candidates stick within 3 days for ordering. :)
TSRD YellowAdminSilver AOPSUser deadfox081 Canis Majoris
Frosty tavok

I'd like to step down from the Ice Gym. ASB just doesn't give me the same kind of fun it used to, and ordering in gyms is practically a chore now. It's pretty plain to see that, especially from my last few matches, my battling skills are not at the level a GL's should be anyways, so I think the time is right for a new Ice leader. It was fun for a long time, but now... not so much.

Sorry everyone, but there's one less easy gym now.

If the Gym Committee really wants me to clear the queue before leaving, I suppose it's possible, but, you know... rather not.

Posting for a couple reasons.

Firstly, if anyone has any feedback they'd like to give on the current qualifier method, please share. Can be on anything: the Pokemon in the pools, general format of the matches, only being able to participate in one, how shitty I've played, whatever.

Though one thing I would like to ask (especially to those that participated in the qualifiers, but anyone can respond) is if the one month between posting the examiner's pool and the start of the qualifier was a good amount of time? Or should it have been less time? More time?

Secondly, we'll need to start the qualifiers for Poison, Bug, Fairy, Fire, and possibly Ice (plz dont leave us ww ;_;) soon. We've decided to post the examiners' pools for those qualifiers on August 15th. Which tentatively means these qualifiers would start September 15th, but if we decide to change the length of time between pools being posted and qualifiers starting this will change. Anyone interested in signing up for these types, please post here (and include whether you'd like the qualifier(s) you're participating in to be singles or doubles). As implied by the last sentence, you can sign up for as many qualifiers as you'd like, though obviously you can only be picked as leader for one type.

On that note, since I'm stepping down from Fairy I'd like to apply for Bug. I want to do singles.

Well I kinda liked the format (though I never did the previous one so I can't say if it was better/worse). I liked seeing the "examiner" pool for example.

I guess if there was one thing I would say about this current Quals is that it's kinda alot of unknown regarding the outcome.
Deadfox lost but had some good (and bad) plays. Should he be worried or not, ect... Hard to say. With the other method you at least knew when you had lost/won.

As for length of time, it's hard to say. It was too long for me but then I had been building toward it since well before the Quals were announced.
YAS would probably say it was too short (but again he had no time to prep as a newer palyer).
How would an established player (who wasn't focused on it like I was) feel? Well maybe someone else can provide that answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)