1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Open The Floodgates

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by andreds, Oct 13, 2012.

1. andreds

andreds

I've actually thought of Salamence over when I had Haxorus. Though I try not to have too many pokemon which use Choice Items. Other than that, that Salamence setup seems really versatile.

Regarding Landorus, I've actually seen him on rain teams, though he's usually used before someone brings out Politoed. I've had situations where my opponent and I have been down to our last pokemon and they've had Landorus and I have Genesect. Though I don't know if maybe their ev spread was different. But I manage to pull out in the end.

I'm not sure who Landorus would take the place of. I've actually been interested Thunderus/Tornadus. But I can't have anymore stealth rock weaknesses.
  2. Ghetsis

Ghetsis

You should try them out, you do have a spinner which might make it easier. Tornadus-T is a beast or you can run Tornadus-I with prankster. I have him on my team and Prankster + Rain Dance always wins me the weather war if I lose my Politoed. This is extremely useful against Sandstorm teams, especially those with Stoutland.
  3. CTC

CTC The Lord Shepherd shall guideth ye cattle
    is Smogon Frontier's Stadium Baronis a Past WCoP Winner

Hi Andreds! I got your request and thought I'd come take a look! I like the team alot, and in the first version of me and GarytheGengar's team we had volc + loom + gene and it was a great combo! I see great offensive energy here. However, despite being powerhouses, none of your offensive pokes can take a beating bar toed and nite with ms intact. This team is very weak to thunderus T once it gets up an agility, which is easily achieved on forretress. Moreover, the team is weak to rain offense in general, with only 2 water resists and 1 being too frail to be considered a resist. I can see rotom wash doing a number on this team. I see the weak link as forretress, because it is simply lackluster as a spinner this gen. For example, deo-gar offense effectively neuters the whole team, and forretress can't do a thing about it. I think with your only scarfer being that slow, drag mag also does a number to you. To remedy rain and drag mag, I would recommend the standard offensive starmie over forretress, as in rain nothing sets up on it. Also a team with volc AND nite cannot afford too many offensive members, because then there'd be a lack of momentum to spin and you'd be sacking a poke to strong hitters due to the lack of resistances. I would recommend sp def rotom wash over volc to act as a sponge/pivot, helping either nite or loom sweep by weakening bulky grounds/steels and volt switching on psychics. With an offensive starmie and nite, sun wont be a big problem, and loom/starmie do well vs sand, as ttar will not enjoy a lo hydro to the face. Gene imo is still a bit slow to be the only scarfer but with the priorities and starmie aka best spinner in the meta atm, you'll do fine.
    Hope I helped!
  4. andreds

andreds

Thanks for the suggestions, CTC! Something I hate usually is having more than two pokemon that share the same typing. With Starmie, Rotom-W and Politoed, that is three pokemon that share a grass weakness.

Though I'm guessing with this being a rain team, it wouldn't really matter. Another thing. With Starmie taking the place of Forretress, (while I do still have rapid spin) I now no longer have someone to lay out the stealth rock/spikes. Would this Tentacruel setup work in place of Starmie/Forretress?

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Evs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    -Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Protect

Rain Dish + Black Sludge + Protect has made going against opposing Tentacruels a nuisance for me. Not sure, but I think he could help.

One more very important question. Genesect is very versatile so I was thinking of changing his moveset. I've seen a few with Giga Drain and Flamethrower (which I believe is mostly used for opposing Genesects, and with my ev's, I won't be fast enough to knock them out anyways.) Compared to the moveset I'm running currently, how will that benefit me?

I'm thinking Giga Drain could be a great replacement for Iron Head (since that move is mostly for Terrakion anyways and I can do a lot of damage to him while gaining health.)

Lastly, personally I'm not a fan of the choice items, lol. I was thinking of maybe changing Genesect's choice scarf to an Expert Belt maybe? He has enough moves that are super effective against other pokemon. Just a thought.
  5. GaryTheGengar

GaryTheGengar believe me sweety I've got enough to feed the needy

Hey man, got your request to rate this. Sorry for being almost a week late, been pretty busy.

Anyway, nice team you've got here. Looks like you and all the other raters have addressed most everything, but I'll try my best to help. I don't really see what DD nite does for you, as it isn't really going to be sweeping much in the current team. It also compounds your SR weakness, which forretress isn't always going to be able to spin away. I'd change it to a band set, which would help you vs sun, as well as being a very useful revenge killer, as band extremespeed is pretty valuable this meta. Speaking of forrey, I don't find it to be too effective of a spinner really. I'd suggest running tentacruel over it, who is a much more effective spinner. You lose a defensive steel, but forretress isn't really contributing much. To make up for your loss of stealth rock, I'd advise replacing genesect with a specially defensive jirachi. Not only does this give you a sponge to draco meteors, which you are weak to, but it gives you a counter to tornadus-t, which is absolutely huge. Your current team is weak to it at the moment, as it is a check to your volcorona, can switch in for free against forretress, and check your loom. You lose a scarfer, but I think the changes to dragonite, in addition to your scarf politoed, would be all the revenge killing you need. Again, I apologize for taking so long to rate your team. Good luck bro!

Sets

Show Hide
    Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

Show Hide

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Waterfall
    - Superpower

Show Hide
    Tentacruel (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
  6. andreds

andreds

Possible final updates have been made to the team. We are now in the post Genesect era.

Thanks, a lot for the help man! The Jirachi suggestion came just in time. One thing that's helped me a lot with Dragonite is that EV spread. It proved to be useful.

Thanks a bunch man!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)