Operation Desert Storm

Introduction //

What's up everyone? Hopefully you're all having a good summer. So I've basically only been playing UU since it came out, OU just got old way too quickly. So far, this has probably been my most successful UU team. I'm not quite sure what it peaked at, because every time I start getting kind of high on the ladder, I have like five battles in a row where my opponent critical hits every turn and smashes my ranking. I really wish that was a joke. -_-" Anyway, Sandstorm teams have been my favourite to play since Gen IV already, and they're obviously really strong in current OU, so I figured why not see what they can do in UU. I'm still waiting for Sand Rush Sandslash to be relased, because I've used that thing in DW UU and it's fucking ridiculous. But until then, a different sweeper will get his turn to shine on this team. Shine like a star, you could say. ;D Blah blah, I ramble too much. Here's the team, folks.

Team Building Process //

Well, since this is a Sandstorm team, I figure the first Pokémon is a no brainer. There's only one cute little fella that sets up a permanent sandstorm in UU. As a bonus, he also sets up rocks! Hippopotas gets the automatic first pick.

Moar hazards = moar better, so next I wanted somethign that could set up some sort of Spikes. Originally I thought about using the annoying SubSpiking Cacturne set I used on my Gen IV NU Sandstorm team, but I felt like I wanted something that could actually take a hit. I decided to look into Toxic Spikes instead, and instantly fell in love with the next team member. Number two is Nidoqueen.

Next up I needed something to deal with bulky waters, as so far this team is looking to have trouble with them. I glanced at Gastrodon at first, but with my sweeper in mind, adding another quadruple Grass weakness seemed bad, so I went for Storm Drain Cradily. It's immune to Water, and can use super effective STAB moves against Water.

With the defensive core set, I needed some firepower. Obviously I needed to look no further than UU's only legal Sand Rusher, and one of my favourite new Pokémon... Stoutland!

Now comes the crux of the team, two set-up sweepers that can really put my opponent in a bad spot. The first is Sigilpyh, with Magic Guard and Psycho Shift it can spread burns while being immune to status, and it also resists or is immune to every type that my second sweeper is weak to, except for one. The second sweeper, and the 'star' of the show, is Shell Smash Omastar. With already amazing defense, and the sand to patch up the mediocre special defense, this bod mon has no trouble finding one turn to set up and rip through the opponent's team.

The team was working well for awhile, but Hail proved to be a pain in the ass time and time again, and Cradily's weak HP Fires weren't cutting it against said teams. I decided to take a step back and re-evaluate the team. After doing so, I thought of something. I know a Pokémon that can check Hail AND bulky waters. And so, Cradily was cut for Empoleon.

- Operation Desert Storm -

Hippopotas @

Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/100 Atk/92 Def/64 SpD
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Slack Off
Yawn

Description:
Although the team preview feature has all but abolished the concept of a lead, Hippopotas tends to lead the charge nine times out of ten. Unless there's a situation where it's just going to be really bad to lead with Hippopotas, it's my go-to lead. Not only does it set up the permanent sandstorm which greatly aids the team, it can also lay down Stealth Rock, the importance of which I shouldn't have to explain. Earthquake is its STAB move, and keeps the baby hippo from being complete Taunt-bait. Stealth Rock forces my opponent to take residual damage every time they switch, which is very key since it strips 25% off Abomasnow and its Hail-bringing ability. Slack Off allows Hippopotas to heal 50% of its max health, and Yawn acts as either a sleep inducing move, or a pHazing move, depending whether or not my opponent chooses to switch after their Pokémon becomes drowsy. Eviolite is pretty obvious for the item, proving a 50% boost to both defenses. The EV spread is where I'm having some trouble. Max HP for sure, but then I didn't really know where to go from there. Currently I've got some EVs in both defenses, and it's actually useful, as coupled with Eviolite, it allows Hippopotas to take certain Scalds and unSTABbed Ice Beams. The rest is in attack just for a bit of extra kick, but I'm thinking they may be better placed in the defenses.

Possible changes: I've tried both Toxic and Roar in place of Yawn, but I haven't found either of them as good. I've already got Toxic Spikes on the team, and Empoleon can Roar, so I feel like Yawn is the best option. If this is untrue, please let me know. Would a coverage move like Rock Slide be better? It seems like it'd be fairly weak though. >_< Also, PLEASE help with my EV spread, I know that's not the best it can be doing!

Nidoqueen @

Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/252 SpA/96 Spe
Toxic Spikes
Earth Power
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Description:
The second Pokémon on the team, and the other half of my entry hazards is an offensive Toxic Spikes Nidoqueen. Her goal is to get the two layers of Toxic Spikes down, while keeping offensive pressure on my opponent. Toxic Spikes is the crux of the set, as the Toxic poison combined with the Sandstorm damage will wear down my opponent's Pokémon, making them easier to KO. Earth Power is Nidoqueen's STAB move, and reaches something stupid like 228 base power once you factor in STAB, Sheer Force, and Life Orb. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are excellent coverage moves, providing Nidoqueen the infamous BoltBeam combo. These three moves provide perfect neutral coverage except for Shedinja, which is a non-issue as it dies from Sandstorm damage at the end of the turn anyway. I went with Life orb over Leftovers since Sheer Force blocks Life Orb recoil on the moves it boosts (read: all of them) so I figure Nidoqueen may as well hit as hard as she can. The EV spread is copied from the analysis, and it's worked well so far. I've thought about sacrificing some speed or some power for more bulk, but as of now I like what I've got.

Possible changes: Not much really. Flamethrower is there, but I get better coverage with the moves I have. Some defense or special defense EVs maybe?

Empoleon @

Ability: Torrent
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Scald
Flash Cannon
Grass Knot
Roar

Description:
This here is my pride and joy. This bad boy replaced Cradily as my check for bulky waters since it can also check Hail, too. A 4x resistance to Blizzard, as well as an immunity to Toxic are two of this metallic penguin's biggest selling points. If you follow the UU forums on here (specifically the Sand Discussion Thread), then you're sure to have read about me going on about this Empoleon set already. Scald is your main STAB move, with a solid 80 base power and perfect accuracy, backed up by a 30% burn chance. It can cripple physical attackers, as well as burn Steel and Poison type Pokémon that don't care about Toxic Spikes. Flash Cannon is a move not usually seen on Empoleon, but is actually one of the main reasons I'm using it. With the current nature and EV spread, it OHKOs Scarf Abomasnow and max HP Froslass 100% of the time. It also 2HKOs 252 HP/252 SpD Abomasnow 100% of the time with Stealth Rock. Once Abomasnow is down, I switch Hippopotas back in and have weater control for the rest of the match. Flash Cannon also OHKOs the dreaded Mamoswine, but it's never going to switch into Empoleon anyway. The third move slot is for Grass Knot, to deal with other bulky waters. It hits things like Milotic, Slowbro, Suicune, and Walrein hard while Empoleon laughs at any attempt that have at hurting him outside fo the rare Hidden Power Electric. Finally, Roar is in the last slot to stop things like CroCune from setting up on Empoleon, as well as for shuffling the opponent's team to make sure everything steps on those Toxic Spikes. Leftovers is the item because Empoleon is the only Pokémon with wings that doesn't learn Roost, so this is the only way for it to heal. Even Dodrio can learn it, and it doesn't even HAVE wings. For the EV spread, I have HP and special attack maxed out, with the rest in special defense. Originally I had a Calm nature, but Modest was needed to obtain certain KOs.

Possible changes: This is my baby, so I'm probably not going to change much here unless maybe a better EV spread is mentioned? I've thought about ditching Roar for Ice Beam, but I feel like having a pHazing move is more important.

Stoutland @

Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Return
Crunch
Fire Fang
Wild Charge

Description:
Stoutland is cute and waggles its ears at you. Just look at the animated sprite. Sorry, I just felt that needed to be said. With that out of the way, we get to one of UU's finest sand abusers. With an attack stat of 328 and a speed stat of over 500 in the sand, it's no wonder this hound is on the team. Return is the STAB move of choice, hitting hard with no drawbacks and excellent accuracy. Crunch nails those pesky Ghosts that think it's funny to try to switch intro Return. Fire Fang is for hitting Steel types, as well as completely dismantling Abomasnow. Wild Charge rounds out the coverage by providing a strong attack to hit bulky waters with. I went with a Life Orb instead of a Choice Band, because I like being able to switch attacks. So many times do I hit something with Return, and then switch to Crunch on the next turn because I know the Ghost is coming in. The spread is pretty simple, max attack with an Adamant nature to hit as hard as possible, and max speed to outrun basically everything. The rest is in special defense so Porygon-Z doesn't get a special attack boost with Download.

Possible changes: There are some changes I'm considering. For one, I've toyed with the notion of dropping Wild Charge for Pursuit, so things like Mismagius are fucked either way. Die to Pursuit if you switch, or get eaten by Crunch if you stay in. I really like having a second Electric attack though. I've also thought about Retaliate, since Stoutland makes a great revenge killer, but I feel like again Wild Charge is the only potentially disposable move, and I tend to find it pretty useful.

Sigilyph @

Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SpD
Psycho Shift
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Roost

Description:
I both love and hate this thing. I love it when it sets up all over so many different things, but I hate it when my opponent scores a critical hit on it every other battle and I just about put my foot through my computer monitor. He resists Grass and Fighting, and is immune to Ground, all three of which Omastar is weak to. They're both Electric weak, but I've got two immunities in Nidoqueen and Hippopotas. Psycho Shift is an awesome move, as it allows Sigilpyh to shift its burn onto anything else, which is great for neutering physical attackers. I just have to make sure not to hook up Heracross looking for Guts. Cosmic Power is the boosting move, raising both defenses by one stage each use. After even two of these, Sigilyph is tough to take down. Stored Power is Sigilyph's only attacking option, but it's the only one it needs, as after it accumulates a few Cosmic Power boosts, Stored Power will just steamroll everything, even resisted. Roost is in the last slot to provide a way to stay healthy while gathering stat boosts. Flame Orb is the item, since Sigilpyh doesn't take burn damage thnaks to Magic Guard, this will block status as well as allow Sigilyph to spread the burn to others. For the EV spread I maxed out HP, put a little in defense, and the rest in special defense with a Calm nature, since a burn halves an opponent's attack stat.

Possible changes: I am considering dropping some defensive EVs in favour of speed. With 120 speed EVs, Sigilyph would outpseed Jolly max speed Mamoswine and be able to burn it before it can get off an Icicle Crash. From there is just alternates between Roost and Cosmic Power. I'm not sure that sacrificing that much bulk would be worth it though.

Omastar @

Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk/30 SpA
Shell Smash
Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power

Description:
Finally we reach the star of the show. Omastar is an amazing sweeper in UU. With a naturally base 125 defense, and the base 70 special defense receiving a 1.5x boost from the sandstorm, it's not hard for Omastar to find a turn to come in and use Shell Smash, and proceed to shit all over my opponent's team. Shell Smash is the name of the game, giving Omastar +2 in both attacking stats as well as speed. The -1 to each of the defenses is negated with the White Herb, meaning Omastar doesn't sacrifice any of its hit-taking abilities when going for a sweep. I went with Surf over Hydro Pump because I hate missing in critical situations, and with Omastar's massive special attack, Surf is plenty strong. Ice Beam nails the Grass and Dragon type Pokémon that resist Omastar's Water-type STAB. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the coverage, hitting all the Water types that resist the other two moves. White Herb is my preferred item over Life Orb because I don't want to sacrifice any of Omastar's bulk after it sets up. The spread is pretty simple, max special attack to hit as hard as possible, max speed and a Timid nature to be as fast as possible, with the rest in special defense for a bit of extra bulk.

Possible changes: I've toyed around with Hidden Power Rock, but then you have nothing to hit Waters. There's AncientPower over Ice Beam, but then Grass types walk all over you. I feel like it's best to leave it as is.

Final Thoughts //

Well, there you have it. My UU Sand team. There's definitely some issues on my mind, such as the fact that I have no spinner or spin blocker. But I'm not seeing anything to cut. Is it that big of an issue? If there's anything else you see, PLEASE point it out! Thanks in advance for all the awesome advice I know I'll get! Cheers folks! :heart:

PS. Did you notice how I made the icon be the dude wearing sunglasses? It's actually the Go Goggles that you need to enter the sandstorm in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. ;D

id change empoleon set i bit like this?

Empoleon @Leftovers
Modest Nature
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Flash Cannon
-Aqua Jet

yes aqua jet it has saved me games and KOes any ways Scald why? That ugly bird-like thing already spreads enough burns so surf is a better option :P

Nice team but I would go with Bulldoze over EQ because it is not going to hit much and Bulldoze has that -1 Speed each time its used.

Also go with Choice Band on Stoutland. You want that thing to stay in as long as possible and yes you will have to switch if Missy comes in on Return but the added power is worth it. I use the same exact set otherwise.

I am actually going to try this team just for the fact that the day and time I was born was Desert Storm.

I have toyed with Sand in UU and managed to peak at 200 so I know a thing or two.

I would quickly like to point out that 4 of your 6 members are the same on my sandstorm team, I guess its true that all SS teams look similar but regardless its a very good team (Just like mine ;) ).

I really like your empoleon and nidoqueen core but, you seem to lack a dedicated physical and special wall. Stroutland basically serves as a check to any thing without a resistance or high physical defense but with Stoutland dead I can see your team being crippled by a strong attackers like NP Mismagius or an opponents Stoutland. Im not sure what kills the EVs on Empoleon and Nidoqueen are allowing you but i might add some defense to Nidoquuen and Special Defnse to Empoleon. Then again, it depends on how cautiously you play with Stoutland; Speaking of, Life orb really cuts its survivability; and it is the glue to your team. Due to this you might wanna consider putting Choice Band on there.

Lacking that physical and special wall it should be a priority to get some priority. Maybe aqua jet on Empoleon to help with Hone claws Flygon who seems like a real nuisance to your team. That would be instead of Roar which I suppose you could fit on hippopotas.

Im actually really disapointed now because I wanted to post an RMT but our teams are way to similar :P. Goodluck with your team!

Consider adding Choice band to stoutland for the extra firepower. Half your team is weak to ice, so keep that in mind. Other than that the team is nice.

Consider adding Choice band to stoutland for the extra firepower. Half your team is weak to ice, so keep that in mind. Other than that the team is nice.
actually with empoleon and stout it does not haz a problem with ice and i cant think of a bulky ice type in UU

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Ughh, I really hate the idea of locking Stoutland into one move, but since Choice Band has been suggested by three people already, I'll try it out. :P

@ Cloud 8: The EVs on Empoleon are specifically for Abomasnow, that's why he has all that special attack. I'll try moving some HP in special defense though. On Nidoqueen, I just copied the EVs from the analysis to be honest, so I'll see how it goes cutting some special attack EVs for defensive ones.

Thanks guys, keep it coming! :3

You could try Drapion as a Toxic Spiker instead of Nidoqueen if you want to help with your ice weakness. Once your waters are KO'd you might have a problem with ice, so try Drapion out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)