OptiMons [Slate 22: Gen 4] {Voting}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Chilling Body (30% freeze on contact.)
Stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 115 Def / 115 SpA / 125 SpD / 88 Spe
Added Moves: Air Slash, Scald
Summary of Changes: +15 Def, +20 SpA, +3 Spe

Articuno's Japanese name is Freezer, yet, it has no more of a shot of freezing than any other Ice Pokemon. A new Ability will whip Articuno into shape. It can now disable Pokémon for a brief time, making it a big potential help on several possible teams. Freezing is an unreliable status effect, so it's really something Articuno can make its own. Scald will help it with Rock-types, and give it an additional burning ability.

Moltres [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Flame Body
Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 95 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 123 Spe
Added Moves: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Energy Ball, Air Slash
Summary of Changes: +5 Def, +33 Spe

Moltres essentially becomes a special Talonflame. It can use a couple of new special dragon moves by dipping into its phoenix heritage a little. Energy Ball covers its Water and Rock weaknesses. It can run Specs fairly well thanks to increased Speed.​

Last edited:

Articuno [Optimized]
Stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 110 Def / 115 SpA / 125 SpD / 85 Spe
Added Moves: Freeze Breath (freezes, has 80% accuracy), Air Slash, Scald
Summary of Changes: +10 Def, +20 SpA

Articuno's Japanese name is Freezer, yet, it has no more of a shot of freezing than any other Ice Pokemon. A new Ability and move will whip Articuno into shape. It can now easily disable Pokémon for a brief time, making it a big help on several possible teams. Freezing is an unreliable status effect, so it's really something Articuno can make its own. Scald will help it with Rock-types, and give it an additional burning ability.

Moltres [Optimized]
Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 95 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 115 Spe
Added Moves: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Energy Ball, Air Slash
Summary of Changes: +5 Def, +25 Spe

Moltres essentially becomes a special Talonflame. It can use a couple of new special dragon moves by dipping into its phoenix heritage a little. Energy Ball covers its Water and Rock weaknesses. It can run Specs fairly well thanks to increased Speed.​
I don't get how Moltres became a special Talonflame in any way considering it lacks Talonflame's one main thing, Gale Wings :P
also I absolutely hate the idea of making freeze more prevalent in any way because it's a dumb effect that makes RNG decide games even more than it does now.

I didn't even play Pokemon until Gen 6 but I thought this was a cool idea:

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Filter/Ancient Aura (Any of Articuno's moves that existed in Generation 1 have the power, accuracy, effects and mechanics they did in Generation 1) [Ice Body HA]
Stats: 90/85/100/125/125/85
Added Moves: Hydro Pump, Psychic, Explosion
Summary of Changes: +30 Special Attack (It now has the stats it had in Gen 1 ignoring EVs and natures and stuff)

Articuno now has a 120 BP, 90 Accuracy STAB Ice move with Blizzard under Ancient Aura. Since Steel didn't exist in Gen 1, it didn't resist Ice, so Articuno is troubled a lot less by Steels and can tear Celesteela and Skarmory to pieces. The same goes for Psychic, which is still a 90 BP Psychic move but now has a 30% chance to lower both the opponent's special stats one stage, and Dark isn't immune. Hydro Pump is a 120 BP coverage move with its usual 80 accuracy that can really hurt anything weak to it, especially since Articuno's Special Attack has skyrocketed. Explosion has only 170 BP in Gen 1, but it halves the opponent's defense to basically do double damage, making it an excellent nuke. Hyper Beam is physical, but sort of makes up for it by recharging whenever it scores a KO, making it a fair option.

Unfortunately, Articuno's defensive typing hasn't changed in the slightest and it still gets really hurt by SR and has hardly any resistances. Its speed is still quite slow without an Agility boost, too, which hinders its sweeping ability. Still, with these changes Articuno should be able to return to the OU threat it was in Gen 1.

It should be noted that other abilities still affect its Gen 1 moves, so Hydro Pump can't hit something with Dry Skin for example.

Articuno
Abilities: Snow Warning / Magic Bounce / Magic GuardDazzling
Added Moves: Aurora Veil, Mirror Coat, Counter, Whirlpool
Articuno has a lustrous body of ice that should have some associated magic properties. Also it can now trap and try going for the mean look/sheer cold combo

Moltres
Abilities: Drought / Regenerator / No Guard
Added Moves: Inferno, Focus Blast, Eruption
Drought is there to match with Articuno but is in general a fairly useful support and STAB boost. Regenerator because Ho-oh. It is also said to be capable of whipping up large firestorms which I imagine should be pretty hard to evade.

Last edited:
Articuno
Abilities: Snow Warning / Magic Guard / Magic Bounce
Added Moves: Aurora Veil, Mirror Coat, Counter, Whirlpool
Articuno has a lustrous body of ice that should have some associated magic properties. Also it can now trap and try going for the mean look/sheer cold combo

Moltres
Abilities: Drought / Regenerator / No Guard
Added Moves: Inferno, Focus Blast, Eruption
Drought is there to match with Articuno but is in general a fairly useful support and STAB boost. Regenerator because Ho-oh. It is also said to be capable of whipping up large firestorms which I imagine should be pretty hard to evade.
Magic Guard is banned on this slate.

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Slush Rush (HA)
Stats: 90/85/90/135/90/90
Added Moves: Aeroblast
Summary of Changes: + 40 SpA, -35 SpD, +5 Spe, -10 Def
Description:

In the original games, Articuno was set up to be one of the most powerful attackers in the format. With access to the best move in the game in Blizzard and phenomenal special attack, it would have been incredibly powerful if not for its low speed. We'll patch these stats, but will keep both Articuno and Moltres at 580 BST to match Zapdos.

In more recent generations, it's appeared as a more bulky mon due to its nerf in SpA after the SpA/SpD split. This isn't it's best use though, due to its crippling Rock weakness. So, it only makes sense to optimise it along the specially offensive side, either as a decent Choice user or with an agility or z-hail style set. Slush Rush allows it to abuse its 'signature move' Blizzard as powerfully as possible, so fits best with his general theme.

Moltres [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Reckless (HA)
Stats: 80/140/90/85/85/100
Added Moves: Flare Blitz, Brave Bird
Summary of Changes: + 40 Atk, -40 SpA, +10 Spe, -10 HP
Description:

With Articuno as the Special attacker, and Zapdos as the bulky mon, Moltres needs a unique identity in the bird trio, and so comes out as our Physical attacker. Fire/Flying has formidable coverage in Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, so although I was originally tempted by Rock Head, Reckless allows it more power to fuel this identity.
HP:​

Articuno [Optimized]
Stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 115 Def / 115 SpA / 125 SpD / 88 Spe
Added Moves: Freeze Breath (freezes, has 80% accuracy), Air Slash, Scald
Summary of Changes: +15 Def, +20 SpA, +3 Spe

Articuno's Japanese name is Freezer, yet, it has no more of a shot of freezing than any other Ice Pokemon. A new Ability and move will whip Articuno into shape. It can now easily disable Pokémon for a brief time, making it a big help on several possible teams. Freezing is an unreliable status effect, so it's really something Articuno can make its own. Scald will help it with Rock-types, and give it an additional burning ability.

Moltres [Optimized]
Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 95 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 123 Spe
Summary of Changes: +5 Def, +33 Spe

• 1: I'm very certain you can't make new moves in this pet mod.
  • 2: Even if you could, Freeze Breath is broken. Consider lowering Accuracy to 50%. Also, what type is it, what category is it, What's it's Z effect?
  • 3: How the crap would Articuno use Scald?

I'll accept the criticism, but if you dislike a submission, don't vote for it.
  • 1: I'm very certain you can't make new moves in this pet mod.
Wishes said we could create signature moves on the first page.
  • 2: Even if you could, Freeze Breath is broken. Consider lowering Accuracy to 50%. Also, what type is it, what category is it, What's it's Z effect?
Ice and Status. Z-Freeze Breath would raise Defense by 1. 15 PP.
  • 3: How the crap would Articuno use Scald?
Same way it uses Water Pulse, Water Gun, and Bubble Beam.

I'll accept the criticism, but if you dislike a submission, don't vote for it.

Ice and Status. Z-Freeze Breath would raise Defense by 1. 15 PP.

Don't you think Freeze Breath sounds too similar to Frost Breath? Also, again, the Freeze status condition in my opinion (which a fair few people seem to share) should not have a high chance to happen with ANY move because it's too RNG based.
Especially not with 80% accuracy. That is flippin broken.

The difference between Scald and the other water moves is that Scald is hot, and therefore does not mix well with the Ice typing.

Don't you think Freeze Breath sounds too similar to Frost Breath?
Yes, but I'm not too concerned.
Also, again, the Freeze status condition in my opinion (which a fair few people seem to share) should not have a high chance to happen with ANY move because it's too RNG based.
Especially not with 80% accuracy. That is flippin broken.
I've already nerfed it down to 65, but too low and it's not enough of an improvement to Articuno.
The difference between Scald and the other water moves is that Scald is hot, and therefore does not mix well with the Ice typing.
Again, not too concerned. Emboar can use Scald despite it being a Fire-type.

Yes, but I'm not too concerned.

I've already nerfed it down to 65, but too low and it's not enough of an improvement to Articuno.

Again, not too concerned. Emboar can use Scald despite it being a Fire-type.
It's not about the power of the move, it's about how RNG based it is. That's why I don't like Freeze Breath. It's kinda like Swagger.

Sorry, I completely missed that.
Yahooboo does have a point in the fact Scald is boiling water (not even the Ice-Types that are part Water get it) and Emboar gets an excuse because again, Scald is boiling water. Honestly, a lot of Ice-types use Water Pulse, and I could predict they would learn Water Gun and Bubble Beam as well if they existed in Gen I.

I'm just going to say it. Giving Articuno a freezing option of anything over 10% [think Ice Beam, Blizzard, etc] is absurd and I don't like the idea. It makes Articuno have a niche that's like giving something 80% accuracy Fissure. It's not right. Now if you had a move that would be like a reverse Scald which has a 10% chance to freeze Water-types only, then that would be different, but as I see it, no, that's not optimizing Articuno, but simply making a watered down aspect that's watered down on purpose a little too strong. Sorry Ninetales Dragons, but I'm going to have to ask you to remove that. I like the rest of the submission though, but I do not think the move is a good idea at all.

Scald really doesn't improve Articuno that much anyways so I don't see the point in arguing over it, so I'd suggest we drop it please. I'm glad we're getting a ton of submissions but pointless banter back and forth doesn't advance the discussion or make any submissions better honestly.

Voting will open tonight, keep the awesome submissions coming and thanks for the interest guys!

canno

formerly The Reptile
Articuno: The Reptile, Yoshiblaze
Moltres: The Reptile, TheTapDancer

Didn't want to self-vote that hard but there was a lack of keeping the bird's stat spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)