Ladder ORAS 1v1 [3v3 Team Preview]

I submitted a 6v6 version of 1v1 into OM submissions a few days ago, in response to the randomness on the ladder. Check it out when it gets approved.

That proposal, funnily enough, sounds similar to what I had thought of while constructing my OM. Anyway, those changes sound pretty good. I lost over 300 points yesterday in 1v1 laddering because of bad match ups (and hax). I definitely feel I can do better with these new changes implemented.

Yeah, I support this proposal. It takes out a huge luck element from the game and forces you to strategize not only during teambuilding, but also in the game itself.

I actually also like the counterteaming nature of the metagame. It forces you to play a bit and figure out the current ladder trends, and then alter your strategy as necessary. But that is still possible with this version of the 1v1 metagame. I'd like to see this happen.

Yeah, I'll miss getting 1hko'd by Zard-Y and then queuing up with my Gyarados hoping to run into the same guy. It can be really fun when the ladder gets infested by a bunch of random shit that counters your usual stuff, then creating a bunch of new sets that take advantage of all the chaos.

I think these new changes will stabilise the meta but still allow a lot of our older strats to survive.

I like this proposal; I've often found myself swapping between two pokemon that cover different things as I ladder, which this proposal will end. In the meantime, I'd like to present a set I've been using for a while:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse
- Iron Head
- Metal Burst
- Rest

This looks somewhat like the normal Metal Burst Aggron at first glance, but this set also functions as a boosting mono-attacker. This set beats most of the common pokemon in the meta (and many of the uncommon ones) quite handily, except for Mega Charizard Y (Air Slash + Fire Blast koes), Mega Charizard X (but only if it has Will-O-Wisp, which most do, unfortunately), and Mega Venusaur (only with Sleep Powder). The basic idea here is to Metal Burst against frailer, more powerful attackers, and to set up against bulkier threats. Now, against these frail attackers, most people will opt to use a weaker attack first in order to break Sturdy, and then attempt to finish you with a stronger attack. However, this will not work because of your Aggronite. The first turn out, you shouldn't be Mega Evolving in order to preserve Sturdy unless you're up against something that obviously won't be able to finish you in one hit (e.g. Porygon2, Mega Venuaur, etc.). This also maintains the illusion that you're just a normal Aggron trying to abuse Metal Burst. However, on the second turn, Mega Evolve in order to use Mega Aggron's superior bulk and typing to survive whatever attack they throw at you next. For example, Choice Specs Greninja 2hkoes normal Aggron with Dark Pulse, but Mega Aggron's added bulk lets it survive 2 Dark Pulses, even if the first one was taken as normal Aggron. Against bulkier Pokemon, Aggron can simply Curse up, using Rest as neccesary, and defeat nearly everything with a +6 Iron Head. Rest makes it a lot easier to win PP wars, as the two turns spent sleeping, you aren't using PP. Rest also ruins most strategies that rely on passive damage, like Leech Seed (haha fuck you Whimsicott) and burns. The EV spread maxes out special bulk, and makes Earth Power from Kyu-B only a 3hko, allowing you to beat it with Metal Burst/Iron Head. Investment in Attack or Defense isn't needed, because you don't usually need to attack until you're boosted, and at that point investing in Attack makes little sense, as you already attain all the koes you need. Investment in Defense isn't needed either, because Aggron already has a titanic Defense stat (it lives a +2 Mega Garchomp EQ with no investment), plus investing in Defense lowers the damage you deal with Metal Burst from physical attackers. For example, Mega Heracross deals barely enough damage for you to KO it with Metal Burst when it uses Close Combat with the given spread. However, with investment in Defense, you miss the KO with Metal Burst and then he outspeeds and 2hkoes you. The reason this isn't true for special attacks is that (Mega) Aggron's Special Defense is poor enough that it needs the investment in order to survive the attacks in the first place. Sassy nature and minimum speed try to insure you go last, which is crucial (Metal Burst fails if you go first). I've managed to get to #7 on the ladder using purely this set (screenshot http://prntscr.com/3wwydp ), so I think it's been pretty successful. Get out there and give it a try!

Adding on, this is how the set fairs against some of the more common pokemon in the metagame, in no particular order:
Kyurem-B: Win. They 3hko with Earth Power while you 2hko with Iron Head/Metal Burst.(You should Mega Evolve the first turn here, as Teravolt overrides Sturdy.)
Dragonite: Win. Either they bring you down to Sturdy with EQ and you KO with Metal Burst, or they use a different move and you Mega Evolve and begin setting up.
Mega-Mawile: This one is a bit tricky, but you lose only if they have perfect prediction. If they attack without boosting with SD, you win with a combination of Metal Burst/Iron Head. If they begin boosting with SD, Spam Metal Burst while throwing in the occasional Curse, they win only if they have Fire Fang (which is kinda shitty) or if they attack while you Curse.
Greninja: Win. You survive Hydro Cannon due to Sturdy and 1hko back with Metal Burst, and Dark Pulse does not 2hko.
Aegislash: Win. Shadow Ball only 4hkoes as long as they don't get a SpD drop, while Metal Burst 3hkoes.
Jirachi: Win. Iron Head only deals like 9% to Mega Aggron, so you can boost up and Rest off the damage, unless you are very unlucky.
Togekiss: Win. Iron Head has a 75% chance to 1hko max HP Togekiss and it only 3hkoes with Fire Blast.
Swagger Lvl 1 Magnemite: You will win this most of the time due to confusion not doing very much, unless, again, you are very unlucky.
Whimsicott: This depends entirely on if they have Taunt, since you can't 1hko with Iron Head, and Taunt will prevent you from Resting. If they don't have Taunt, you win 100%.
Mega Venusaur: If they have Sleep Powder, you lose. Otherwise, you win due to Leech Seed+Giga Drain not doing enough to stop you from stalling out all of Giga Drain's PP with Rest.(I suppose you would lose to HP Fire or Earthquake, but I've yet to see either of those moves.)
Mega Charizard Y: You lose to Air Slash+Fire Blast unless you are insanely lucky and both roll ABSOLUTE minimum, in case you win.
Mega Charizard X: You lose most of the time, but if they don't have Will-O-Wisp, you can Curse alongside Dragon Dance and win as normal Aggron if they have Flare Blitz over EQ, or Curse as Mega Aggron while they Dragon Dance if they have EQ.

Last edited:
Am I the only who thinks Perish Song should be banned ? With the right set, very few viable things can counter Perish Song Azumarill (Taunt loses to regular Huge Power Azumarill, it can survive two unSTABed Poison Jabs from most pokes thanks to Sitrus Berry...). That said, other Perish Song users (Murkrow, Lapras) are fine, but AzuPerish is really annoying. Well, I guess it will be much less useful with a Team Preview.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Am I the only who thinks Perish Song should be banned ? With the right set, very few viable things can counter Perish Song Azumarill (Taunt loses to regular Huge Power Azumarill, it can survive two unSTABed Poison Jabs from most pokes thanks to Sitrus Berry...). That said, other Perish Song users (Murkrow, Lapras) are fine, but AzuPerish is really annoying. Well, I guess it will be much less useful with a Team Preview.
Perish Song makes the user lose...

Actually, if you are slower than the opponent (or faster idk), and the opponent faints before you, the perish song user wins. So yeah it's like 50/50 but it really sucks.
It's not 50/50 since you can run speed-decreasing natures and 0 Speed IV (or even a Lagging Tail) to make sure you go last.

Pikachuun

Actually, if you are slower than the opponent (or faster idk), and the opponent faints before you, the perish song user wins. So yeah it's like 50/50 but it really sucks.
It's under the self-ko clause as it's used by the last Pokemon. Tbh it should actually fail because said clause, but a loss is good enough unless you're aiming for perfect accuracy to the clause :p

It's under the self-ko clause as it's used by the last Pokemon. Tbh it should actually fail because said clause, but a loss is good enough unless you're aiming for perfect accuracy to the clause :p
I haven't played 1v1 in a while, so I don't know how things work now. Is the Self KO Clause still a thing? And if so does it effect Parish Song? It isn't mentioned in the OP, and I remember this post:
I've unbanned all the banned moves because there are no more ties on PS.

FINAL GAMBIT ACCELGOR GO!

Edit: This is to test the moves in 1v1. It will be decided later on if anything should be banned.
And since then Final Gambit and Explosion have been banned, but what about everything else?

Pikachuun

I haven't played 1v1 in a while, so I don't know how things work now. Is the Self KO Clause still a thing? And if so does it effect Parish Song?
I believe it is a thing in battle formats on X/Y. I need to double check though. For now...
Bulbapedia said:
The player automatically loses if his last Pokémon uses Selfdestruct or Explosion. Destiny Bond and Perish Song also fail when used by the last Pokémon.
So yes, perish song falls under the self-ko clause, as does destiny bond.

So, before the Perish Song change I'll post this, another set that everyone will hate:

Wigglytuff @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest
- Thunder Wave

The Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are to make it even slower. Uses Perish Song, then uses Protect, Rest, Protect. Thunder Wave is the filler move, but I might replace it with Knock Off to deal with the Probopass running rampant here.

the set could work vs. more defensively oriented mons, but powerful attackers such as Zard-Y, Mega-Pinsir, and Kyu-B can muscle past the set even with significant defensive investment.

So, before the Perish Song change I'll post this, another set that everyone will hate:

Sassy Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest
- Thunder Wave

The Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are to make it even slower. Uses Perish Song, then uses Protect, Rest, Protect. Thunder Wave is the filler move, but I might replace it with Knock Off to deal with the Probopass running rampant here.
I think that you would benefit more from running leftovers than chesto berry, as you already have to not be 2hkoed in order to use rest in the first place, and leftovers could possibly let you turn some 2hkos into 3hkos with use of protect.

I think that you would benefit more from running leftovers than chesto berry, as you already have to not be 2hkoed in order to use rest in the first place, and leftovers could possibly let you turn some 2hkos into 3hkos with use of protect.
Sitrus Berry will heal more than Lefties, so it's the item of choice on Perish Trappers.

Sassy Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest
- Thunder Wave

Running T wave on something that tries to be slower than the opponent is a really, really bad idea. Probopass isn't an issue since it cannot kill you before Perish Song does, so KOff is only useful against things with a Macho Brace/Laggin Tail. Encore deals with Sword Dance/Dragon Dance, you should use that instead.

In fact, just leave PerishTrapping to Azumarill.

I realized that I had problems with stallers, so when I found this unconventional thing (not as unconventional as steelix but still), it beat alot of the old pokemon I had trouble with:
Introducing PP stall Deoxy-S

Deoxys-S@Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 spd (outspeed base 100 scarfers)
Other possible EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 spd (scarfchomp)
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Protect
- Recover
- Taunt

Basically all you need to do is to keep a countercoater and this and call it a day. Choice users get stalled out by pressure, as for stall users, taunt them, waste all their attacks, and watch them struggle. And unlike some other pp stallers, battles with this take around 10 or 20 turns. However, you get beaten by non-choiced attackers, but countercoaters work mostly for those.

Also something completely irrelevant on how to own a heatran:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-136808070
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-136807684 (two different people)

I played quite a bit of the new 1v1 earlier, and I really, really like it.

One thing that's really good in this newer metagame is the use of lures. Different from in 6v6 play where lures are things that try to beat things that they normally wouldn't, lures here are all about your Team Preview and making your opponent think that one of their inferior choices is actually their best one. For example, on the team I'm currently using, all three of my Pokemon appear to lose to bulkier spreads of Charizard (one is Greninja which beats no bulk Charizard). However, I'm running Protect Mega Pinsir, which beats Charizard as long as it hits Giga Impact by using Protect on the turn that it Mega Evolves and then outspeeding it the following turn. I've managed to "lure" my opponents into using Charizard quite a bit, only to beat them with Pinsir.

It's an entirely different kind of playstyle, and it is one that I really, really enjoy. You'll still get counterteamed after playing against the same people so many times, but it's much more predictable and easy to play around when you can see what the opponent might bring before you battle (tonight I had someone try to counter team me with Mega Lucario only to lose anyways and another person try to counter team me with Rotom-Heat only for me to bring Greninja). But there's room for more innovation in the metagame, which is really, really nice because old 1v1 was super stale.

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi,
I Would suggest That People who have 3 pokemon in 1v1 will only face People Who has also 3 pokemons or else some people Dont know about it like i was battling a guy he was using one pokemon having no idea of 3 pokemon Preview so i would suggest people who dont will face 1v1 battle with 1 pokemon at Preview.

Hi,
I Would suggest That People who have 3 pokemon in 1v1 will only face People Who has also 3 pokemons or else some people Dont know about it like i was battling a guy he was using one pokemon having no idea of 3 pokemon Preview so i would suggest people who dont will face 1v1 battle with 1 pokemon at Preview.
Not to be rude, but if you start using 3 Pokemon too you won't be at a disadvantage.

Hi,
this is good for someone who missed the old surprising 1v1, i supported.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)