ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Last updated by DHR-107 on September 12th
Contact DHR-107 or Stellar if new info is available

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

"Pokémon fans first enjoyed Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version when it launched in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance. Now, a whole new generation of Pokémon fans will experience the dramatic storyline that unfolds in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire."
Rules
  1. Only discuss aspects of the games that have been directly or indirectly confirmed.
  2. No competitive discussion — the OU forum can allow it if that is what they wish.
    Failure to follow the rules listed above will result in deletion and/or infraction.

Primal Evolutions
At some point in ORAS, Groudon and Kyogre will revert to their Primal states via Primal Evolution.

Type: Ground / Fire

Type: Water

Mega Evolutions
ORAS expands on the mystery of Mega Evolution by providing new formes to old Pokémon.

Type: Grass / Dragon
Ability: Lightningrod

Type: Water / Ground
Ability: Swift Swim

Type: Rock / Fairy
Ability: Magic Bounce
Stat Changes: +Atk / -Def / +SpA / -SpD / ++Spe

Type: Dark / Ghost
Ability: Magic Bounce
Stat Changes: +Def / +SpA / -Spe

Type: Steel / Psychic
Ability: Tough Claws
Stat Changes: +Atk / +Def / +SpA / +SpD / ++Spe

Type: Dragon / Flying
Ability: Aerilate
Stat Changes: ++Def

Type: Dragon / Fairy
Ability: Pixilate
Stat Changes: +Atk / +Def / +SpA

Type: Normal / Fighting
Ability: Scrappy
Stat Changes: +Atk / +Spe
New Moves: High Jump Kick

Type: Water / Psychic
Ability: Shell Armor
Stat Changes: +Def / +SpA

Type: Normal / Fairy
Ability: Healer
Stat Changes: +Def / +SpD
New Moves: Misty Terrain

Type: Fire / Ground
Ability: Sheer Force
Stat Changes: +Atk / +Def / +SpA / +SpD / -Spe

Type: Water / Dark
Ability: Strong Jaw
Stat Changes: +All

Type: Psychic / Fighting
Ability: Inner Focus
Stat Changes: +Atk / +Spe

Updated Gym Leaders & Elite Four
The gym leader roster remains relatively unchanged from RSE; however, these powerful trainers do receive stylish design updates.
It seems their gyms have undergone makeovers as well!

Super Secret Bases
Secret Bases return for the first time since the original Ruby and Sapphire. You are now able to share secret bases via QR code.
In addition to new decorations, you can also populate your secret base with Secret Pals, NPCs you can battle.

Contests
Contests return to their original forms focusing on a Pokémon's ability to generate appeal based on its moves. A new character, Lisia, shows the player character the ropes with her Altaria. It is now possible to Mega Evolve during a contest as long as the Excite meter is full. Pikachu receives special moves based on the contest costume it is wearing.

Trainer Hordes
Horde Battles make another appearance, but this time there's a twist: you can fight multiple trainers at the same time!
These battles will function generally the same as horde battles in XY.

This thread will be locked if one week elapses without new information being released.

Thanks, Stellar, I was going to complain about it when I couldn't because of the lock.

Btw, someone said about the Battle Frontier, the part on the map where it is is covered by clouds, the same way as Kiloude was covered by them pre-XY release.

Great to see a clean thread again. The OP looks really nice, thanks for that Stellar.

I would like to discuss Trainer hordes a bit more.

Spread attacks are (Edit: have been) rare before Norman, so Trainer hordes might be a better challenge if we get them this early. Expecting a level gap of around 20, they might still get tough if you have to fight with single target attacks.

Utility attacks like Sand Attack, 75% accuracy after one hit sucks already but everything lower gets really tough to beat, and Supersonic, two Supersonic have a chance to hit at least once of nearly 80%, might get that much more annoying if you have to deal with more than one at a time while only eliminating one Pokemon per turn.
This makes switching absolutely unrecommendable, so leading with your strongest Teammember and therefore heavily leveling it, will be encouraged once more...

Mightyena hordes would be a cool upgrade for later parts of the game, even though GameFreak often decides to give out unevolved Pokemon to grunts. Golbat hordes would be another story since Rock Slide usually comes superlate and Surf might not kill them. Lets see what Gamefreak will give us :)

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Utility attacks like Sand Attack, 75% accuracy after one hit sucks already but everything lower gets really tough to beat, and Supersonic, two Supersonic have a chance to hit at least once of nearly 80%, might get that much more annoying if you have to deal with more than one at a time while only eliminating one Pokemon per turn.
This makes switching absolutely unrecommendable, so leading with your strongest Teammember and therefore heavily leveling it, will be encouraged once more...

Mightyena hordes would be a cool upgrade for later parts of the game, even though GameFreak often decides to give out unevolved Pokemon to grunts. Golbat hordes would be another story since Rock Slide usually comes superlate and Surf might not kill them. Lets see what Gamefreak will give us :)
I have no doubts Gamefreak will give us access to at least one Global move by the time Hordes start appearing. Vivillon had access to Struggle Bug which dealt with hordes pretty well. Remember that we had a badge before hordes in XY, so I would be surprised if hordes started appearing before then (Like Audino's didn't appear until after 1 badge in BW).

Also: Dear god no not Mightyena hordes... Make sure you bring a special attacker. Intimidates everywhere!

Also: Dear god no not Mightyena hordes... Make sure you bring a special attacker. Intimidates everywhere!
They probably wouldn't be as crazy as to put 5 intimidate Mightyena trainers in one horde battle? ...Would they...? *shuddering*
I would think that there would be more scope for combinations of pokemon, like they tried with Zangoose/Seviper and Roggenrola/Carbink etc in XY. Plus not all mightyena's have intimidate now, unlike in RSE.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh god Mightyena Trainer Hordes... Five Intimidates in a row will blunt every physical attacker severely until they switch out...

Of course they are beatable with Special Attackers. If it comes early enough, you can simply lead with Milotic as well and turn the entire point of five intimidates into an "oh crap" situation for the horde hahaha.

Golbat Trainer hordes on the other hand will be even more annoying with five chances to confuse you and things like Flying-STAB to damage you with while you hit yourself in confusion...

Though while no one will be looking forward to those sort of Trainer hordes, I would love to see such annoying Trainer hordes in the game. Anything to make the game just that little bit more difficult, especially for those who will play ORAS with Exp. Share turned off, like me (Assuming Exp. Share will keep its XY effect which I reckon it will).

You just better hope you have your Spread attackers ready by that time haha

It would be cool if Gamefreak decided to change up the rosters of the grunts. X/Y's grunts had a relatively diverse list of 8 Pokemon lines. The Plasma grunts used even more Pokemon lines. It might not be too far-fetched to see the same thing happen to the Magma/Aqua grunts considering how the Hoenn dex might be expanded. It would be kind of sad to still see them using only the Poochyena, Zubat, and Carvanah/Numel lines.

If it does happen, I can see various additions like Lombre to the Aqua grunt roster. A hoard of Swift Swim Lombres with Rain Dance would be pretty hilarious to see.

What exactly classifies as 'competitive discussion' in this thread?

I don't play competitive Pokemon on Smogon because a lot of the new and interesting things end up getting banned.
I've realized that it frustrates and annoys me because I play for a different reason. That is, to have fun.

But when I see a Pokemon the first thing I think about is how I might use it. Because, well, that's what you do with Pokemon.
So is it off-topic to comment on MegaSpinda's (lol) new potential awesomeness as a Contrary Trick Room sweeper?
Or can we only comment on how cute it looks?

Thanks.

There's a very simple way to balance trainer hordes: Don't bring them into play until after Norman. You'll have Surf at that point, and problem solved.

Just for fun: Where do they put the TM for Flamethrower? It was Game Corner-only before, but that's probably going to get thrown out, and there's already alternate slots for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt (Abandoned Ship/New Mauville).

I don't play competitive Pokemon on Smogon because a lot of the new and interesting things end up getting banned.
I've realized that it frustrates and annoys me because I play for a different reason. That is, to have fun.

But when I see a Pokemon the first thing I think about is how I might use it. Because, well, that's what you do with Pokemon.
So is it off-topic to comment on MegaSpinda's (lol) new potential awesomeness as a Contrary Trick Room sweeper?

Thanks.
Discussing a pokémon's role in your team is one thing. Shoving up tons of damage calculations to say why pokémon m is going to be better than pokémon n to do to x thing is not to be here.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It would be cool if Gamefreak decided to change up the rosters of the grunts. X/Y's grunts had a relatively diverse list of 8 Pokemon lines. The Plasma grunts used even more Pokemon lines. It might not be too far-fetched to see the same thing happen to the Magma/Aqua grunts considering how the Hoenn dex might be expanded. It would be kind of sad to still see them using only the Poochyena, Zubat, and Carvanah/Numel lines.

If it does happen, I can see various additions like Lombre to the Aqua grunt roster. A hoard of Swift Swim Lombres with Rain Dance would be pretty hilarious to see.
I'd love to see them not only increase their rosters, but also utilize weather more. A team magma team could be more diverse if they had stuff like Solrock, Torkoal and Slugma, or if they started making weather oriented teams with a few abusers, like Growth Numel or even Solar Power Helioptile.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Thanks.
Discussing a pokémon's role in your team is one thing. Shoving up tons of damage calculations to say why pokémon m is going to be better than pokémon n to do to x thing is not to be here.
Pretty much this. If you talk about the mon and it's role in the game vs certain gym leaders/E4 that's fine. Please don't start making calcs against Heatran/Garchomp/Talonflame etc because they are really not relevant at all. Go talk to an OU mod/Mentor about those sorts of things or go to Showdown. They will likely be far more accepting. Also: Don't bring up stupid ideas for Megas like Spina (dear god gamefreak do not do this to me).

OK, that makes sense.
Pretty much this. If you talk about the mon and it's role in the game vs certain gym leaders/E4 that's fine. Please don't start making calcs against Heatran/Garchomp/Talonflame etc because they are really not relevant at all. Go talk to an OU mod/Mentor about those sorts of things or go to Showdown. They will likely be far more accepting. Also: Don't bring up stupid ideas for Megas like Spina (dear god gamefreak do not do this to me).
LOL. MegaSpinda was a joke (but now I kind of want them to do it just for the heartattacks that would ensue).
Anyway, thanks for the clarification both. I'm not interested in calcs etc. Just needed to know where the line is.

When you see a Pokemon with a certain ability or new move you automatically think about what it will be able to do in battle.
So I needed to know if saying something like "loss of Regenerator sucks but at least Shell Armor will help MegaSlowbro CM more reliably" is OT.

Last edited:
Anyhow, new contest mechanics. They... look pretty damn interesting; and the whole other clothing thing makes me wonder if alternate clothes'll be available in ORAS altogether.

I wonder if every mega-evolution will get some flashy contest-animation, god seeing slowbro or pinsir trying to act cute would utterly amazing.

So, I remember in an interview that one of the features that wasn't able to be implemented in X/Y was a Pokemon Translator. Note that this is possibly the only Rustboro invention not seen in any game. 3rd gen also introduced the concept of the Dream World. Do you think we will see either feature in ORAS?

Do you guys think the Safari Zone would be updated to include Audino, Bunneary, or any other pokes that weren't in original RSE Pokedex?
Sure...post-game. (like in Emerald) So far it seems that there's only nine new slots in the Hoenn Pokedex from the originals, and they're all accounted for with (pre) evolutions of Pokemon that were in the original games such as Magnezone and Froslass. For now, I'd rather stick to what we know for certain or is all but confirmed, and just because a non-Hoenn Pokemon has a Mega Evolution doesn't necessarily mean it appears before the post-game if it's even obtainable in the game at all.

Sure...post-game. (like in Emerald) So far it seems that there's only nine new slots in the Hoenn Pokedex from the originals, and they're all accounted for with (pre) evolutions of Pokemon that were in the original games such as Magnezone and Froslass. For now, I'd rather stick to what we know for certain or is all but confirmed, and just because a non-Hoenn Pokemon has a Mega Evolution doesn't necessarily mean it appears before the post-game if it's even obtainable in the game at all.
They could pull a Platinum and throw every new entry to the regional dex after Deoxys like how all the new Platinum entries were after Manaphy. B2W2 also had a disorganized dex where the genies, musketeer trio, and pseudos were stuck in the dex in the order you would see them. It could happen again in ORAS for all we know. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really don't care for my physical attackers if GF adds Mightyena hordes because I can just switch out. What I'm really scared of is the possibility of Intimidate activating five times in any battle before I can even do anything. Might as well use Repels all the time only to avoid that bullshit. I'd rather have D/P's slowass battles than that.

I'm not sure if we'll even GET the safari zone. It's been a retired feature since BW and it does conflict with the convenient, easy nature of the recent games. Instead, I'd expect it to be replaced with the Friend Safari.

I have no doubts Gamefreak will give us access to at least one Global move by the time Hordes start appearing. Vivillon had access to Struggle Bug which dealt with hordes pretty well. Remember that we had a badge before hordes in XY, so I would be surprised if hordes started appearing before then (Like Audino's didn't appear until after 1 badge in BW).

I think the reasoning isn't really a badge thing but more a level-location thing. you can't get into horde battles until the wild Pokemon (trainer Pokemon) in the area are a high enough level that the horde equivalents in that area can be significantly lower than them.

Like all the wild Pokemon on route 104 are levels 5 and 6 or something so there's no way to have the hordes be 10 levels lower. In XY hordes appear everywhere that the wild Pokemon are around level 10 or higher. So if the general level curve around the areas of Hoenn remains the same then we probably won't see horde until Route 110. or like maybe Granite Cave or something. And likewise you probably don't get into horde battles with Team Aqua/Magma until after you arrive at Staleport City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)