Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Alexwolf

With the OU metagame settling down (cliché phrase, I know), I thought it would be beneficial to discuss how the new mega evolutions coming in less than two months could affect the metagame. With four megas' stats being revealed today, I thought now was right for the thread. Anyway...

ORAS Megas

Mega Beedrill

Typing: Bug/Poison
Ability: Adaptability
Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145
New Moves:

Mega Pidgeot

Typing: Normal/Flying
Ability: No Guard
Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121
New Moves:

Mega Slowbro

Typing: Water/Psychic
Ability: Shell Armor
Stats: 95/75/180/130/80/30
New Moves:

Mega Steelix

Typing: Steel/Ground
Ability: Sand Force
Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30
New Moves:

Mega Sceptile

Typing: Grass/Dragon
Ability: Lightning Rod
Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145
New Moves:

Mega Swampert

Typing: Water/Ground
Ability: Swift Swim
Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70
New Moves:

Mega Sableye

Typing: Dark/Ghost
Ability: Magic Bounce
Stats: 50/85/125/85/115/20
New Moves:

Mega Sharpedo

Typing: Water/Dark
Ability: Strong Jaw
Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105
New Moves:

Mega Camerupt

Typing: Fire/Ground
Ability: Sheer Force
Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20
New Moves:

Mega Altaria

Typing: Dragon/Fairy
Ability: Pixilate
Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80
New Moves:

Mega Glalie

Typing: Ice
Ability: Refrigerate
Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100
New Moves:

Mega Salamence

Typing: Dragon/Flying
Ability: Aerialate
Stats: 95/145/130/120/90/120
New Moves:

Mega Metagross

Typing: Steel/Psychic
Ability: Tough Claws
Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110
New Moves:

Mega Latias

Typing: Dragon/Psychic
Ability: Levitate
Stats: 80/100/120/140/150/110
New Moves:

Mega Latios

Typing: Dragon/Psychic
Ability: Levitate
Stats: 80/130/100/160/120/110
New Moves:

Mega Loppuny

Typing: Normal/Fighting
Ability: Scrappy
Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135
New Moves: High Jump Kick

Mega Gallade

Typing: Fighting/Psychic
Ability: Inner Focus
Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110
New Moves:

Mega Audino

Typing: Normal/Fairy
Ability: Healer
Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50
New Moves:

Mega Diancie

Typing: Rock/Fairy
Ability: Magic Bounce
Stats: 50/160/110/160/110/110
New Moves: Earth Power

Happy discussing!!

Last edited:
I posted a topic on this earlier and it was locked. But I will say this - Mega Altaria looks to be pretty great. Good typing with a bunch of resistances and a DD set is viable. It can run EQ, Return (the strongest physical fairy move technically).

I'm gonna have to say Beedrill just because it looks cooler.

Right away, some things that interest me. First off, Mega Sharpedo could wreck stuff with Protect and Speed Boost 1st turn, Mega 2nd turn, Crunch things to death. I'm also really interested in Mega Lopunny - literally unresisted STAB HJK and Return combo plus ~100-120 Attack looks fantastic.
Set:
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Cute Charm
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Return
-High Jump Kick
-Healing Wish
-Fake Out / Power-Up Punch

Here's a set I made a while back for Camerupt. Sheer Force boosts all of these moves too. This thing will be great on TR teams thanks to its reduced speed:

Camerupt @ Camerupt's Mega Stone - Quiet Nature (Sheer Force)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 4 Sp. Defense
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Roar

Right away, some things that interest me. First off, Mega Sharpedo could wreck stuff with Protect and Speed Boost 1st turn, Mega 2nd turn, Crunch things to death. I'm also really interested in Mega Lopunny - literally unresisted STAB HJK and Return combo plus ~100-120 Attack looks fantastic.
Set:
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Cute Charm
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Return
-High Jump Kick
-Healing Wish
-Fake Out / Power-Up Punch
This looks interesting as well. I'm doing a shiny ORAS megas project and the set I have is just about the same, except it's Return / HJK / Ice Punch / Fake Out and Jolly instead. Notably, HJK can hit Sableye for super effective damage, which will be especially handy if it turns out to be used in the same tier as megalop.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I posted a topic on this earlier and it was locked. But I will say this - Mega Altaria looks to be pretty great. Good typing with a bunch of resistances and a DD set is viable. It can run EQ, Return (the strongest physical fairy move technically).

I'm gonna have to say Beedrill just because it looks cooler.
I agree! Also, resisting Fire, Fighting, and Grass, and being immune to Dragon and Ground makes it the only thing that counters both Charizards!

Also btw I added your google doc to the OP.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Calling it here, Mega Salamence will be the first one banned. Also I feel like, depending on Megagross' stats, agility Megagross will be really good. Beedrill, Audino, and Glalie probably has the least potential sadly, please prove me wrong though Gamefreak.

Honestly, I think Mega Altaria could be a big OU threat assuming its stats are decent. The ability to run both a physically destructive Fairy sweeper (Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Return or Frustration) or be a decent wall (Fairy/Dragon really only fears Ice and Fairy given the general lack of unexpected Poison and Steel attacks) makes it a fairly variable threat. I did some testing and I think it was about +20 defence would make it a viable Charizard X wall and its typing will typically hold off Charizard Y's Fire Blasts until Drought wears off. Its offensive STABs gives it the threat to break down all but Steel and you can work around that if you'd like.

I suspect a Sharpedo Speed Boost/Mega Evolve after a turn strategy will be a clean up threat.

I really want Mega Swampert to work out in stall. I'd love a non-Quagsire Water/Ground alternative and it looks like it can switch into a Charizard-X and OHKO it with Earthquake on a nearly fully defensive build (88 attack EVs invested).

I agree! Also, resisting Fire, Fighting, and Grass, and being immune to Dragon and Ground makes it the only thing that counters both Charizards!

Also btw I added your google doc to the OP.
Oh, that's awesome, thanks! I'll be sure to update it with new sets and such as suggests are made.

Calling it here, Mega Salamence will be the first one banned. Also I feel like, depending on Megagross' stats, agility Megagross will be really good. Beedrill, Audino, and Glalie probably has the least potential sadly, please prove me wrong though Gamefreak.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said here, except Beedrill. Beedrill will probably be an RU-UU Mega, and Adaptability U-turn is pretty sweet. Also gets Knock Off. Audino, I agree with, and Glalie is kinda meh as well because of its bad physical movepool (return, explosion, eq, iron head, crunch. that's it). Megamence looks to be a counterpart to Altaria, in a way, since they both have viable DD sets and Mence gets more defense, while Altaria is already good with SpD.

And I think I'll add 88 Attack EVs to Swampert as well. On the doc that is.

Mega Glalie looks pretty promising, having base 120 attack, base 100 speed, and Refrigerate + Spikes, and while it is a rather modest BST, I would definitely be interested in testing it out. Spikes / Return / Earthquake / Taunt might not be a bad spiker in UU or something, but I would definitely try it out in OU to see if it works.

Mega Sceptile might be okay, but eh.... Grass / Dragon is ass coverage and Swords Dance will probably be ass because of Talonflame.

Looking at Mega Swampert, I would rather use Kabutops on a rain team because Life Orb Kabutops hits harder, is faster, and does not take up a Mega Slot, though Water + Ground is not coverage itself.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd say of all the new ORAS Megas, Mega Salamence is almost definitely going to get banned. As Mega Pinsir has shown us, Aerilate Returns are pretty ridiculous, and Mega Salamence could bring the Aerilate Return spam to whole new level. It's definitely going to get a good increase in Defense, which will help it a lot along with its typing, as this allows Salamence to nab Dragon Dance boosts with relative ease. Aerilate Returns in tandem with Earthquake and possibly Outrage will hurt, and this makes Salamence a massively threatening sweeper. Salamence should also gain a bit more Speed which makes it even better. I'm sure literally the only way to stop this thing once it has set up will be like either Ice Shard or Prankster Thunder Wave.

Mega Metagross is something I'm really interested in, however, and I think it will give Metagross a chance to do well again in OU imo. It gets a lot of Speed and great, high, well rounded stats so it should be a pretty good Pokemon. It will probably make a nice bulky sweeper with great Speed and possibly Agility, and Tough Claws boosted Meteor Mashes and Zen Heabutts are strong stuff. Ice Punch and Thunder Punch boosted by Tough Claws will also give really nice coverage. Obviously Ferrothorn (you could run Hammer Arm!) and Skarmory still wall it, but it will be a pretty cool Pokemon that I'm definitely excited to use.

Mega Swampert looks kind of promising, as it makes a nice bulky Ground-type and it hits pretty hard. It has SR and it can run Superpower to smash Ferrothorn, plus it takes on Charizard-X and Thundurus like a boss. It also looks pretty awesome on rain teams as it hits hard so it can sweep well, has Superpower to smash Ferrothorn, and is a rain sweeper that is immune to T-Wave and Volt Switch. Its Speed is good for a Swift Swim user, faster than Omastar so it should be very good on rain teams.

Mega Latis will just be ordinary Latis without LO recoil and a little more bulk. That's basically all they will be. They will be just as good as the ordinary Latis except at the cost of a Mega Slot and probably hit just as hard since the normal Latis can (and should) hold a Life Orb. That is all.

That's all for now, more to come later.

mega swampert is going to wreck shit. its attack is almost as high as mega gyaras, its bulk is greater than mew's, it outspeeds almost everything besides other swift swimmers under rain

prepare yourselves for sum gastrodon/ludicolo action

rip mega manectric

edit: also, while swamp learns no boosting moves, it does learn PuP, and while it's no swords dance, at +1 swamp 2hko's phys def venu and ferrothorn (aka no free switch ins)

Last edited:
Well, of course Swampert will be fantastic with a great ability for rain teams, a good defensive typing with that bulk and that huge attack stat. I think it will become a real threat with a set like this:

Swampert@Swampertite
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP ( EVs customizable for what you want to spped creep with SS boost)
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Superpower

This will be a great set with very good speed and power united with a neat coverage.

Edit: Ninjed by Rosenfeldus

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm really interested in that Mega Altaria, it's looking really, really good atm. No stats released, but we already saw from Gardevoir the power that Pixilate has. Altaria will be doing a bit less than Gard I think, but it will be played more defensively anyway. The movepool it has is astounding, and its defenses, while they aren't great, they're decent already. Moves such as Heal Bell, Cotton Guard, Hyper Voice, Roost, Return, Dragon Dance give it a huge variety of options to use. Personally, I'm going to use the defensive set (mostly bc that's my playstyle, but whatever <.<), as Dragon/Fairy typing is really, really good. Weak to Fairy, Ice, Poison and Steel. Weakness to Fairy can be a bit annoying, but imo it won't be that crippling. Poison attacks are almost nonexistent, only seen in Gengar. Steel is usually used by Scizor and Excadrill, who are admittedly some top threats in the current meta. However, Altaria's looking to be more specially based anyway. Also, having a tank that doesn't mind being trapped by Goth is amazing for bulky teams. However, Wobbufett will have to be played around, as pretty much nothing without a phazing or Turning move, or Taunt, hates to be trapped by it. It could be an outstanding member for S/F/D cores, as pretty much all of its weaknesses are covered by Steel types, and it has an amazing amount of resistances in Bug, Dark, Electric, Fighting, Fire, Grass, Water. That is literally almost every single common attacking type I've seen bar Ice and Steel. And as Aragorn previously mentioned, being able to hard counter both Charizard formes is really, really great. Overall, looking great defensively Altaria! o3o

Even offensively, it might be a bit of an issue. It has great attacking moves on both spectrums, in Draco Meteor, Earthquake, Hyper Voice, Return, Fire Blast, etc. It also has Dragon Dance, a great boosting move, and it has a lot of potential to run it along with a mix set. It could also run a tank Roost + 3 Attacks set, while I feel this may be slightly inferior. I might elaborate on this later, but here are some sets I've been thinking of trying out once ORAS gets released:

Defensive set:
Altaria @ Altarite (is that what its called lol)
Ability: Cloud Nine (could be good against sand and rain)
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 SpDef/ 4 Spe (will be changed once stats are released, to speed creep some threats)
-Hyper Voice
-Roost
-Heal Bell/Tailwind/Toxic
-Haze/Cotton Guard/Substitute

Offensive set:
Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine (natural cure can be used if it somehow gets burned/para'd on the switch)
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Draco Meteor/Fire Blast
-Roost/Earthquake

Well, that's all I have for now. Lots of slashes bc games haven't been released, stats haven't been released, etc etc. I feel like this is going to be somewhere close to the second Mega Char X, with less weakness to SR and an arguably better typing. Please do criticize these sets right now, I want to get immediately into the ORAS meta and start playing!

Edit: Edits about offensive set have been made.

Last edited:
Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine (natural cure can be used if it somehow gets burned/para'd on the switch)
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Dragon Claw/Draco Meteor
-Earthquake/Fire Blast/Roost
Dragon Claw is completely redundant, it does not hit anything notable. Draco Meteor hits Landorus-T, and Fire Blast Ferrothorn and Skarmory, both of which are more useful than Dragon Claw.

Welp, go to school and I come back to see Mega Steelix and Mega Glalie.

God, just cant wait to get my hands on both now. With Steelix's stats, I find it funny its another slow assaulter, but idk. It will be an interesting thing I guess. Its just gonna be more seen how it does in practice for me cause with how Mega Gar has fallen off of people (not saying it bad but how little its used) I wonder how Steelix will do.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some notable things with those new MEvos:
  • Mega Altaria walls both Mega Charizard X and Y, which is neat
  • Mega Camerupt is a great check to Electric-types not named Rotom-W, Bisharp, Victini, and Mega Charizard Y, all quite threatening Pokemon. How well it could check them depends on its stat distribution. Such a shame that Lava Plume is useless with Sheer Force though, otherwise Mega Camerupt would be an amazing Mew check
  • Mega Swampert under rain will bent OU to its knees, as unlike the other Swift Swimmers, it has amazing bulk, only one weakness, is not locked in a single move, and doesn't suffer Life Orb recoil. Being immune to Thundurus's Thunder Wave is huge as well. All in all, Mega Swampert under rain seems unwallable, and has tons of versatility thanks to its amazing movepool (Ice Punch, Ice Beam, Superpower, Low Kick, Stealth Rock, Stone Edge)
  • Another great offensive check to Volt Switch users and tons of offensive Pokemon in general in Mega Sceptile. Able to check Keldeo, Azumarill, Landorus, Greninja, Thundurus, Rotom-W, and more is amazing for offensive teams. Also, great coverage between Dragon / Grass / Fighting coverage, giving it plenty of room for versatility on the last slot. This thing seems on par with Mega Manectric, minus Volt Switch and checking birdspam and plus the ability to check some other very important threats and have better sweeping potential with two strong STABs, better coverage, and the ability to go mixed
  • Mega Lopunny has an incredibly spammable move in HJK, and if it gets even the smallest of Speed boosts it can do an amazing job against offensive and balanced teams. HJK / Return / Ice Punch / Healing Wish seems like it would be its best set, and it just does so many things, so prepare your Fighting resists guys. Having 105 Speed before MEvolving also helps a lot, making it able to outspeed plenty of Pokemon even before MEvolving

Last edited:
Also, if anyone has any suggestions for sets on the doc, it's greatly appreciated. It's currently being redone at the moment, so please excuse its informal appearance.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to Mega Pidgeot. I mean, it's ability means Stone Miss won't be missing, but 100% accurate Hurricane? Imagine if this thing gets Focus Blast. It would have perfect coverage with Hurricane, Heat Wave and Focus Blast. (Maybe some sort of HP as a filler)
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to get much of a boost in Speed, but imagine if all of those 100 base stats were thrown into Special attack. 160 Special Attack would be brutal.
Also inb4 Mega Mightyena cause if it doesn't happen I'm going to hunt somebody down
Even 101 speed is still not entirely THAT bad, but a small increase could do it some good I agree.

And Steelix seems like....a more offensive Meggron or so. It just looks so pretty with the crystals and all.

Also alexwolf, even if lava plume doesn't get its burn anymore, I still think it be hurting mew to hell and back with that pure power of a Fire Blast

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even 101 speed is still not entirely THAT bad, but a small increase could do it some good I agree.

And Steelix seems like....a more offensive Meggron or so. It just looks so pretty with the crystals and all.

Also alexwolf, even if lava plume doesn't get its burn anymore, I still think it be hurting mew to hell and back with that pure power of a Fire Blast
- 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This calc is assuming 135 SpA for Mega Camerupt. Mew can easily PP stall Fire Blast if specially defensive but at least Mega Camerupt can threaten physically defensive sets and act as a pivot for Mew in general, which is nice. Hit Mew a couple of times and force it to Recover, and then bring in a Pokemon able to threaten it.

Mega Sceptile

Typing: Grass/Dragon
Ability: Lightning Rod
Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145
Tons of potential here. It can go pure special with Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast and HP Rock, or physical with Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Earthquake and Swords Dance. You can also mix those options. I'm really going to love this one. That shouldn't surprise you if you look at my post history, I love Mega Aero and Mega Manectric as well.

Mega Swampert

Typing: Water/Ground
Ability: Swift Swim
Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70
This has beast written all over it. It doesn't even need rain to be effective. 100/110/110 bulk and one weakness, along with 150 Attack? A bulky tank set could be ridiculous between Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice Punch/Superpower could work. I could also see a Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice Punch/PuP set that grinds away and punishes slower teams at +1 or +2. Interesting potential with a CroCursePert set, similar to Suicune. Overall this might be like Houndoom, decent without it's preferred weather, but in the Rain (or Sun for Doom) look the heck out.

Mega Metagross

Typing: Steel/Psychic
Ability: Tough Claws
Stats:
New Moves:
"Mega Metagross also has a greatly increased Speed stat, with additional increases in its Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, and Sp. Def, making Mega Metagross primed for both offense and defense." per Serebii Aragorn the King

haven't seen a post on bro, so i'll post first.

mega slowbro is not as bad as it seems. i see ppl whining and being like "FK YOU GAMEFREAK IT LOST REGENERATOR."

shell armor isn't that good but still has it's merits. crits are annoying af and especially stall (and bp (BAN ME PLEASE)) players should know this. one crit can change the whole match which sometimes causes you to have a loss. so what i'm saying is mega bro should be used on stall teams. and if you still want regen, you can always decide to not m-evolve it.

but then most ppl would say that is quite pointless cuz it takes your mega slot. the thing is, bro has cm which is actually quite viable since he is p bulky. so you cm to fk and crits can't negate it's boosts and bro can function like a bulky cmer that doesn't get FKING CRIT'D IN THE BALLSACK LIKE CROCUNE AND DIES.rip crocune 2014-

basically, if you use bro i think you should not m-evolve it and use it like a normal stall (BAN ME PLEASE) and then during late-game, you wreck shit with cm + scald :D. gl fgts.

get shrekt

Slowbro @ slowbrahite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- filler​

EDIT: YOU GUYS READY TO GET COCKSMACKT? CUZ THIS RPAIST HAS 180 DEF BISHES THIS THING WILL RAPE YOUR ASS NON-BELIEVERS. screw chil pills mofo
SLOWBRO RAPE TRAIN STATS: 95/75/180/130/80/30

Last edited:
- 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This calc is assuming 135 SpA for Mega Camerupt. Mew can easily PP stall Fire Blast if specially defensive but at least Mega Camerupt can threaten physically defensive sets and act as a pivot for Mew in general, which is nice. Hit Mew a couple of times and force it to Recover, and then bring in a Pokemon able to threaten it.
Yah, its a bit of recover stalling is all which is not the most ideal for Mew to begin with. Also 135 is only a 30 boost but gain, cant claim lot till we see stats sadly (cause as far as I know his weren't confirmed were they?).

Still, of all the Megas, I still fear Mega Gross. Never thought I'd see a Tough Claws mon reliably weild Grass Knot.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dragon Claw is completely redundant, it does not hit anything notable. Draco Meteor hits Landorus-T, and Fire Blast Ferrothorn and Skarmory, both of which are more useful than Dragon Claw.
Ok, thanks for telling me. I'll edit out Dclaw and put Dmeteor as the first slash. Tbh, I feel like the only thing Altaria has over Mence offensively is bulk, and maybe typing. I think it would be better as a bulky attacker rather than a full offensive threat. I'm slashing Roost as the first option in the fourth slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)