Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'll just sum this down with some of the stuff coming off my mind-

Mega Gallade:
Pros over Mega Medicham
  • Better movepool with cool stuff like swords dance, knock off, taunt, etc
  • Far more limited switchins after a boost (only like, 2 or something lel)
  • 110 Speed > 100 Speed, letting it function as an actual sweeper outside of wallbreaking
  • Better Bulk
Cons over Mega Medicham
  • Less immediate power without a boost.
  • One click on that phazing move is all it takes
  • No Fake Out + Bullet Punch

Mega Medicham:
Pros over Mega Gallade:
  • Immediate power
  • Doesn't really get affected much by phazing
  • Fake Out + Bullet Punch are sort of meh but makes for a good anti-lead
Cons over Mega Gallade
  • Frail
  • Inconsistent
  • Base 100 is pretty slow compared to 110

Well at least Medi does have a couple of things over Gallade, but unless you really don't like being phazed out of that +2, i really don't see Medi having a justified reason to take up a mega slot that Lopunny Gallade could be using instead.

Wait, why is it 0 Def too...? It should look like this: +1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 151-178 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So even if rocks are up, Mega Gyarados has to flinch.

The context of the discussion was whether or not Mega Audino could take hits from other Megas. It can, and when checking those Megas, it would also run movesets optimized to beat them. For example, why are we switching into DD sweepers and not packing Thunder Wave? What business would a physically defensive Pokemon have switching into Mega Gardevoir? Who runs Fairies with Toxic when their prime switch-ins are Steel types?

Granted, each of these Megas would have a way to circumvent Mega Audino, whether it would be with Substitute, Taunt, Will-o-Wisp, etc., so Mega Audino would be a shaky check to those offensive Pokemon at best. Which is why I mentioned that it may find a home on stall teams where Mega Audino's flaws are mitigated somewhat by teammates that can cover its weaknesses and allow it the flexibility to check the Pokemon it wants to check, rather than trying to do everything at once as a standalone wall.
What. Calcs obviously showed that Mega Audino can't even safely check those Pokemon. Why would you use your Mega slot for a shitty check when you can use something actually good like Mega Slowbro, M Venusaur, or M Sableye. Even stuff like M Aggron, Steelix, and M Salamence seem like better defensive Megas. Audino has to use Wish + Protect without Lefties which really sucks dick when burned / poisoned / sandstorm / leech seeded. It also means without Lefties something like Roar Heatran can switch in and rack up residual damage while Audino can do nothing besides slowly die.

Audino's problem #1 is that it's a mega. If it was just an evolution sure, it might see use. But no it's basically a decent at best mon that is only usable on stall forcing you to NOT run any of the actually good defensive Megas. What does Audino do that Slowbro doesn't? Don't just say "it's a Fairy" because lol, we have a lot of Wish passing Fairies. Cresselia has better defenses, about the same offenses, lefties, a useful ability and doesn't take up a Mega slot.

Problem #2 is it has pretty much no offense unless it's hitting something Super Effective and even then Audino is looking at a 3HKO. Wish + Protect is mandatory alongside probably STAB and Toxic. This thing is not only passive as hell but also predictable.

It's bad.

With that difference in speed, as well as the differences in sweeping potential (see Alex's post) it's very hard to pretend Gallade won't be better than medicham in just about every way for the first few weeks. The only thing that Gallade can't work around is fake out, but the 100 speed tier will be pretty horrible for such a frail pokemon that one niche move won't make a difference.

Lol, fake out might even be a hindrance on the off chance a gallade on the opponent's team has steadfast instead of Justified

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think MGallade really outclasses MMedi par se, imo the latter has enough advantages over the former to justify still being used on quite a few teams. Obviously, MMedicham has way more immediate power backing it up, which makes it a bit less prediction-reliant. MMedi can pretty much spam HJK and guarantee it'll do damage, MGallade on the other hand has to play around fighting resists such as Lando-T and Talonflame a lot more. MGallade's main STAB just isn't isn't quite as spammable as MMedi's. Also there are few defensive Pokemon MMedicham can beat which Gallade can't get past, such as Clefable, Skarmory, Phys Def MZor, Alomomola, Phys Def Hippowdon, and Regular Gyarados. It also suffers from a bit of 4MSS : while MMedi can just run dual STABs and dedicate its last 2 slots to whatever the hell it wants, MGallade needs to choose between Knock Off for Psychics and Ice Punch for bulky Grounds and MAltaria, otherwise it can't fit Swords Dance which is one of its main selling points. I can see quite a few teams still preferring MMedi over MGallade, probably more offensive ones that just want something that can hit almost anything very hard without wasting any time.

That being said, I won't pretend MGallade isn't ridiculously good, far, far better than I could've possibly imagined even after the stats were released. Definitely up there with MAltaria and MMetagross as one of the best megas ORAS has given us.

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What. Calcs obviously showed that Mega Audino can't even safely check those Pokemon.
You must be looking at the wrong calcs then, because I've actually proved that Mega Audino avoids the 2HKO or from most current and potential OU megas, who, in return, will take a Thunder Wave and be crippled for the rest of the match. And no, it's not going to use Toxic because Toxic on a defensive Fairy is useless when their prime switch-ins are Excadrill, Heatran, and Mega Venusaur. I didn't even list it as an option for the fourth moveslot in my original post. Stop talking about Toxic.

As far as its raw viability goes, I'm not interested. I only did these calcs as a request to a poster who wanted to discuss Mega Audino's ability to take hits from other Mega Pokemon. The poster also had a Mega Audino avatar, so I imagine this discussion won't reach them either.

jack$on

Banned deucer.
One mega that has got close to 0 recognition so far is mega diancie. Mega diancie is actually a solid asf mon, checking dangerous threats like birds and mega mence, lati's ect as well as having a great offensive typing, decent enough movepool, good speed and great offences. I decided to make a team that abuses it.

upload_2014-10-21_19-37-27.png
upload_2014-10-21_19-37-51.png
upload_2014-10-21_19-42-39.png
upload_2014-10-21_19-38-27.png
upload_2014-10-21_19-42-29.png
upload_2014-10-21_19-41-36.png

http://pastebin.com/qygSD7Gh

So the team is ofc built around diancie. A partner that stood out immediately was offensive speedy heatran. Steels are the bane of diancies existance, so the choice seemed logical. I also got my rock setter early on. Keldeo and lando i were dangerous, latios is such a good mon and glue, so it was my go to mon. Sand, bisharp, rain (mostly mega swamp) and azumarill stood out as very dangerous, what better to use as a grass pivot then tangrowth. I then wanted a water to have an FWG core, I also wanted something good for offence, Greninja is the best non-mega pokemon in ORAS no doubt (it'll get suspected but ill stop here) and just provided nice speed, coveredge and power. Lastly, set-up looked dangerous, there was a slight ground and flying weakness, as well as fast mons being a pain, so speed control t-wave thundurus was a logical choice. Lastly, I realised that this meta was extremely fast paced and dangerous, so I changed latios to a scarf set.

This team has proved really effective, and has one me a few OU room custom tours (tho they don't mean much) and has proved really quite effective vs friends.

I dont generally save replays, but here is on replay of the team working, if I get more ill paste them here

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-175488749

Weavile is scary ;_;

Attachments

Last edited:
Pidgeot's going to get walled by Heatran, though. Unless it have HP Ground and a modest nature, it just can't get Heatran. Chansey would likely wall it, too.
Actually Heatran has to be careful for HP Ground that Pidgeot can in fact use for Rocks and Electrics even outside Heatran
252 SpA Pidgeot Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 192-228 (49.8 - 59.2%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeot: 178-211 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeot: 280-331 (90.9 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Also, although (for now) Pidgeot can't learn Nasty Plot, many people may be forgetting that Pidgeot can learn (subpar) Work Up from BW to boost the special attack

At +1 SpA Mega Pidgeot, Specially Defensive Heatran can't switch into Hurricane, because HP Ground will KO the next turn
+1 252 SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 98-116 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Pidgeot Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 288-340 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also at +1 things start to get harder to wall, standard Rhyperior can't switch in Hurricane because it dies
+1 252 SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Rhyperior: 223-263 (52.5 - 62%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even physically defensive Rotom-W becomes unreliable, which means it will leave Pidgeot after the Volt Switch continue the run as it can't switch back again or die to Hurricane
+1 252 SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 131-154 (43 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeot: 188-224 (61 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course it isn't any Mega Mence or something but it's always fun to boost the SpA :D

And also beware of confusion! I'm not counting it, it may turn the tables and make Mega Pidgeot "rampage" easier.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Actually Mega Steelix pairs really well with Trick Room Regenerator Slowking or Jellicent. Both of these are great answers to Keldeo, really interesting how Jellicent in particular is immune to two of Steelix's weaknesses. Outside of these TR setters, Gyarados interestingly enough handles all of Steelix's weaknesses while Steelix is immune to Electric and can set up Sandstorm for Steelix too. A weird pairing for sure but a SpD Gyarados with Resttalk could potentially go a long way since it can absorb burns and Spore for Steelix.
why wouldn't you just use a mega camerupt in that case; its far more powerful than steelix with way more threatening coverage and it beats every electric mon that exists bar rotom-w basically lol. Also TR+mega rupt eruption is ridiculously strong lmao, it also handles grasses a lot better.

why wouldn't you just use a mega camerupt in that case; its far more powerful than steelix with way more threatening coverage and it beats every electric mon that exists bar rotom-w basically lol. Also TR+mega rupt eruption is ridiculously strong lmao, it also handles grasses a lot better.
Woah hold up there, Mega Steelix and Mega Camerupt are two entirely different beasts. You want a more tankier physical trick room Mega, go with Steelix. You want ridiculous mega special trick room power, go with Camerupt.

I actually think mega gallade and mega diancie are two of the better megas coming if I were to just look at what they have. Diancie getting the speed and attack boosts was well worth losing the defenses for them, she has a pretty good type for offensive reasons and will be able to still be somewhat bulky thanks to keeping a decent amount of d. She'l probably be a mega I try sooner rather than later. (So long as I don't fall in love with Slowbro or Beedrill) Gallade is looking scarier than most to me at the moment. 110 attack is nothing to laugh at, not to mention huge attack and access to priority and SD. They are both looking like great offensive choices if you want to pick some megas a lot of people probably won't be using as much at first because of mega mence and all. Well Gallade will probably get some attention, I don't see Diancie getting much though, even though she will probably deserve it.

The influx of fast & powerful megas may change the way priority users fit into a team
Talonflame is great for checking Mega Beedrill, Sceptile, Lopunny and gallade. These mons are frail and weak to flying so bird doesn't really need a CB
CB scizor may see a return, bullet punch 2HKOs 252hp/252def Mega Audino, does around 70% to 252hp/252def Mega Altaria, and OHKOs Diancie and Glalie most of the time. Does not take up the mega slot either
Mega Metagross is a new powerful bp user, although it's still weaker than cb technician scizor and should really just run meteor mash with that 110 spe
Mega Sharpedo benefits greatly from aqua jet, waterfall is more powerful but aqua jet prevent talonflame from easily revenge killing the shark
Breloom and conk's mach punch are the best in stopping a sharpedo sweep, especially breloom who resists aqua jet and can 1 hit KO sharpedo
Now if only the three new -ate users get extreme speed, event is our only hope right now unless something like Entei+Sacred Fire happens

To be perfectly honest I would have prefer some of these MEvos to be actual evolutions with lesser stats, especially Altaria, Sharpedo and Camerupt who can totally just get a regular evo much like many gen II mons did in gen IV.
The lack of items and the competition for the mega slot really hurts a lot of these perfectly viable mons.

gallade is realllllly damn good, i been testing on showdown with this squad and it plays like a dream, although if i called this team mine i'd be lying as it is literally a rehash of one of the most standardass medicham teams out there, but nonetheless way better:

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 220 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

The influx of fast & powerful megas may change the way priority users fit into a team
Talonflame is great for checking Mega Beedrill, Sceptile, Lopunny and gallade. These mons are frail and weak to flying so bird doesn't really need a CB
CB scizor may see a return, bullet punch 2HKOs 252hp/252def Mega Audino, does around 70% to 252hp/252def Mega Altaria, and OHKOs Diancie and Glalie most of the time. Does not take up the mega slot either
Mega Metagross is a new powerful bp user, although it's still weaker than cb technician scizor and should really just run meteor mash with that 110 spe
Mega Sharpedo benefits greatly from aqua jet, waterfall is more powerful but aqua jet prevent talonflame from easily revenge killing the shark
Breloom and conk's mach punch are the best in stopping a sharpedo sweep, especially breloom who resists aqua jet and can 1 hit KO sharpedo
Now if only the three new -ate users get extreme speed, event is our only hope right now unless something like Entei+Sacred Fire happens

To be perfectly honest I would have prefer some of these MEvos to be actual evolutions with lesser stats, especially Altaria, Sharpedo and Camerupt who can totally just get a regular evo much like many gen II mons did in gen IV.
The lack of items and the competition for the mega slot really hurts a lot of these perfectly viable mons.
Aqua jet sharpedo is only good vs talonflame if you force them into rocks otherwise the most you do is 80% to 0/0 talonflame. You could run an adamant sharpedo with 252 atk/180 def/76 spe to have a 37% of not being ohkod by choice band brave bird and outspeed after 1 speed boost.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think MGallade really outclasses MMedi par se, imo the latter has enough advantages over the former to justify being used. Obviously, MMedicham has way more immediate power backing it up, which makes it a bit less prediction-reliant. MMedi can pretty much spam HJK and guarantee it'll do damage, MGallade on the other hand has to play around fighting resists such as Lando-T and Talonflame a lot more. MGallade's main STAB just isn't isn't quite as spammable as MMedi's. Also there are few defensive Pokemon MMedicham can beat which Gallade can't get past, such as Clefable, Skarmory, Phys Def MZor, Alomomola, Phys Def Hippowdon, and Regular Gyarados. It also suffers from a bit of 4MSS : while MMedi can just run dual STABs and dedicate its last 2 slots to whatever the hell it wants, MGallade needs to choose between Knock Off for Psychics and Ice Punch for bulky Grounds and MAltaria, otherwise it can't fit Swords Dance which is one of its main selling points. I can see quite a few teams still preferring MMedi over MGallade, probably more offensive ones.

That being said, I won't pretend MGallade isn't ridiculously good, far, far better than I could've possibly imagined even after the stats were released. Definitely up there with MAltaria and MMetagross as one of the best megas ORAS has given us.
None of Skarmory, Mega Scizor, Alomomola, Hippowdon, or Gyarados wall Mega Gallade:
  • +2 252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 265-313 (79.3 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 265-313 (77.2 - 91.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 441-519 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 301-355 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +1 252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 285-336 (72.5 - 85.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
The thing about 4MSS is also not true, as CC, Zen Headbutt, and Knock Off is all that Mega Gallade needs, +2 Zen Headbutt easily 2HKOes even the most physically defensive Lando-T after SR. Finally, higher Speed makes Mega Gallade more useful against offense, even though Mega Medicham hits harder, and the prediction point is moot because Swords Dance.

Last edited:
i'm tired and bored af so ll just overview all the new megas aside from ray and primals for obvious reasons

Mega Sceptile, Grass/Dragon, Lightning Rod. 70/110/75/145/85/145
Thoughts: Hrm... in terms of OU, this is a bit of a mixed bag. Literally, it's best set seem to be mixed right now - but seriously, stat boosts seem to be in all the right place. It's ability is obviously only good for cockblocking volt switches and t-waves; no competent player is going to let it get that +1 boost. I'm sure a lot of people are let down by the fact it's not a physical sweeper, but this thing still does work - Naive 176 speed lets you outpace everything relevant that you can possibly outspeed and then you can split the offensive IVs to whatever you like; Leaf Storm, HP Ice/Ground, Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast are all very, very good special options, while you get Outrage, Earthquake and Low Kick on the physical. With this set you can really get off some high-powered outrages and leaf storms to obliterate a lot of 'mon that you outspee with dat base 145, but unfortunately you've got a ton of counters too. Even with that small defence boost you're still relatively frail; scarfers are gonna have a field day with you as are Weavile and Mamoswine, not to mention Birdspam being everywhere. Then when you consider everything else competing for the Mega Slot, I think this thing, while powerful, will achieve a place somewhere in the B ranks.

Mega Swampert, Water/Ground, Swift Swim. 100/150/110/95/110/70
oml this thing is fucking insane. rain dance, waterfall, eq and ice punch/hammer arm wrecks most the entire meta I'm not even kidding. adamant 252 speed outpaces literally everything but a few scarfers but who the fuck cares, you're too busy wrecking everything not called ferrothorn to care. I really don't see many flaws to this thing, easy A ranks, hell might even be S rank (k maybe that's pushing it but for srs this thing's stupid good)

Mega Waifu 2.0, Rock/Fairy, Magic Bounce. 50/160/110/160/110/110
Here's ANOTHER stupid good thing but unlike cute swamp monster thing ain't getting enough attention. But I mean are you kidding me, just look at this thing. Insane STAB, nice coverage with earth power, magic bounce says fuck you to willo and t-wave, offences that make mega zard x jelly, one of the best speed tiers in the meta. Mixed set with Moonblast, Earth Power, Diamond Storm and uh... I dunno calm mind or something is something I'm personally scared for. wrecks birdspam in two, doesn't give a fuck about dragons, wallbreaking prowess is scary. Course, it hates priority e.g. bp and aqua jet more than ever, it'll have trouble megavolving due to her tiny tinnnny base form speed and she'll find it hard going anything more than mixed because ofc they had to make diamond storm physical and not give her play rough; thanks gf. rank's hard to tell; probably hovering somewhere around B and A-

Mega Sableye, Dark/Ghost, Magic Bounce. 50/85/125/85/115/20
dear gf plz stop giving everything magic bounce espeon's crying in her trailer
This thing's hard for me to comment on. It really seems like it's hard to say anything about it without trying it out; I don't think theorymonning's gonna get me anywhere. That said, a lot of people here have said it's really damn good, and considering how good and viable Sableye is as is I find it hard to not claim thing thing as really good, especially for stall. Probably lingering in B+, but that's a really big guess since I just can't find myself saying anything about it. adorabu tho

Mega Metagross, Steel/Psychic, Tough Claws. 80/145/150/105/110/110
Oh look here's ANOTHER thing I don't know what to feel about. Well... at least on paper, this thing seems insane. 145 attack boosted by tough claws backed up with lati speed and some great coverage? sign me the hell up
Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to say much about it. While tough claws with insane attack would usually be amazing, unlike zard x it... eh... doesn't exactly have an impressive STAB combination. Steel has gotten really nice this gen offensively tho; it's gonna slay every fairy not called azumarill and I can honestly see a tough claws set working with some STAB and a coverage move like ice punch or even grass knot. Actually what am I talking about it's STAB is the only possible downfall here and STAB Steel really ain't that bad; it's even got priority, stupid good defences - maybe a tank or stall set would work? A few of these new megas seem to work for stall but also have really high offensive stats. Everything said and done, this thing looks really versatile and really scary, even getting rid of Metagross' biggest new flaw this gen: knock off. Having said all that... I think A- sounds about right for it.

Mega Fluff, Dragon/Fairy, Pixilate. 75/110/110/110/105/80
Looking at those stats, only one word comes to mind - Versatile. Stat Boosts, while seemingly jack of all trades master of nothing, really seem to be in all the right places to let Altaria fill a ton of roles. Dragon Dance, Defensive, Special, Tank... it's got the movepool, it's got the stats, and HOLY FUCK DOES IT HAVE THE TYPING. Dragon/Fairy is honestly what makes this thing; without it Altaria would probably fall apart and go down to the lower tiers. But nope, it decides to get a unique typing which looks to be one of the best ever in terms of defence, get it's offences and defences jacked up and suddenly make our dragon dancing pixilate dreams come true. Easy OU, A rankings for sure.

Mega Lopunny, Normal/Fighting, Scrappy. 65/136/94/54/96/135
Gotta admit, when I first saw this thing in Corocoro, I thought it was going to head for UU. Based on XY's general Mega Stats, I thought it'd be lucky to even get 121 Attack and around the same for speed, making it kinda meh in comparison to everything else. But then just like most every ORAS mega, it's stats surprised the hell out of us when it decided to get stats which makes it look like Mega Man's physically orientated sister. With scrappy, it's STAB coverage is unresisted and with the high based power of Return and HJK, coming off of 136 Attack it's going to hurt. And because of this insane power and unresisted coverage, what else it runs is totally up to you - Ice Punch? Healing Wish? Encore? Sub + Baton Pass? It's incredibly versatile, stupidly strong and most likely whatever you pick will let it be very effective. Only problem is this is a really bad typing offensively, especially with all the birdspam around... and uh... I guess conkeldurr's mach punch??? It's also relatively frail so thank heck it got mega man speed, it's gonna need that. Unfortunately, with all the other Megas around, I don't think it'll be easy to justify an A rank. Way too good for C ranks tho.

Mega Broken as hell, Dragon/Flying, Aerilate. 95/145/130/120/90/120
Oh my fucking lord we're doomed. I give this thing two weeks 'till it gets a suspect, I know we're not allowed to talk about bans but this thing honestly scares me. Hell who DOESN'T it scare? It's about the epitomy of perfection, it's incredibly versatile, stats are all in the right places, it got the perfect ability, Return + Outrage is all it needs and then it just subs, roosts, dragon dances, whatever it wants and there ain't anything you can do to stop it. Maybe greninja can take it out with ice beam before it dances? That's honestly the only thing I can think of that can take this down; nothing wants to face this 1-1. Viable in Ubers, wrecks OU, what can I really say other than one of the best Pokémon in the tier? S-rank for sure.
I'll cover the other 9 later if I care enough. Will really wanna cover sexy sexy gallade tho; and glalie and beedrill just so I can get my final "they're not that good guys" out
then again I'm tired and this was probs shit so

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
gallade is realllllly damn good, i been testing on showdown with this squad and it plays like a dream, although if i called this team mine i'd be lying as it is literally a rehash of one of the most standardass medicham teams out there, but nonetheless way better:

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 220 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
I almost have the same team and Mega Gallade is really good imo. Altaria, Swampert, Gallade, Metagross: can't wait to play with all of them. Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie look cool too and along with new move tutors on chesnaught, florges etc. UU has some great new tools

Just having a look at Mega Gallade vs Mega Medicham right now.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 936-1104 (145.7 - 171.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 620-732 (96.5 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 680-804 (105.9 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 1362-1604 (212.1 - 249.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolly Cham is about 1.5X more powerful than Jolly Lade, but I can't really think of any particular KOs 'cham gets that 'lade wouldn't, and of course Gallade is faster, gets more coverage, get Swords Dance which as you can see lets it reach INSANE power, gets status moves, gets better priority, while it hasn't got the best defences ever and dies to birdspam it's not frail as hell... if Cham does get KOs that Gallade can't then yeah that gives SOME reason to use it, but all in all I just think Gallade seems the much better and much more viable poke at this moment; the little extra power is literally all Cham has over it. Gallade's getting Right up there with his Mega Waifu

speaking of mega waifu i think garde's time in the spotlight is coming to a bit of a close. she'll still be good, but with mega meta emerging as a popular choice, greninja getting gunk shot, and a bunch of new, faster phys attackers like swamp and lop, she's gonna have a hard time. fortunately she checks mega sceptile and sableye really well, so she's got that goin for her.

Obviously, MMedicham has way more immediate power backing it up, which makes it a bit less prediction-reliant. MMedi can pretty much spam HJK and guarantee it'll do damage, MGallade on the other hand has to play around fighting resists such as Lando-T and Talonflame a lot more. MGallade's main STAB just isn't isn't quite as spammable as MMedi's.
I'm not sure this is what you're impying, but anything that doesn't have Reckless would rather use Close Combat over HJK if given the opportunity. That makes Gallade's CC more spammable than Medicham's HJK considering both heavily dent any resists anyways. You also don't have to worry about hax, Gengar switch-in 50/50s, and possible Protects when using Medi. I wouldn't go as far to say that Medi is less prediction reliant either, Gallade has no drawbacks for guessing wrong (outside of the defense drop from CC), where Medi has 50% if it's health at stake in certain situations.

speaking of mega waifu i think garde's time in the spotlight is coming to a bit of a close. she'll still be good, but with mega meta emerging as a popular choice, greninja getting gunk shot, and a bunch of new, faster phys attackers like swamp and lop, she's gonna have a hard time. fortunately she checks mega sceptile and sableye really well, so she's got that goin for her.
On the other hand, none of the new Megas can really do the whole "specially offensive wallbreaker" thing garde's got going for her (if anyone says glalie I will actually kill them), Mega Diancie does sort of come close but her Moonblast isn't quite as good as Garde's Hyper Voice, doesn't get Will-o-wisp/T-wave... I expect Garde to go down in viability, maybe even to B+ or A-, but she's still got a relatively unique role.

On the other hand, none of the new Megas can really do the whole "specially offensive wallbreaker" thing garde's got going for her (if anyone says glalie I will actually kill them), Mega Diancie does sort of come close but her Moonblast isn't quite as good as Garde's Hyper Voice, doesn't get Will-o-wisp/T-wave... I expect Garde to go down in viability, maybe even to B+ or A-, but she's still got a relatively unique role.
I think part of that goes back to the fact that Garde gives Chansey fits with Psyshock and Taunt. Every special wallbreaker needs a way to get by Chansey and those ways are few and far between. Garde has Taunt and Psyshock, Char-Y has Flare Blitz, Mega Luke had CC, and none of the new Megas have something like that.

I think part of that goes back to the fact that Garde gives Chansey fits with Psyshock and Taunt. Every special wallbreaker needs a way to get by Chansey and those ways are few and far between. Garde has Taunt and Psyshock, Char-Y has Flare Blitz, Mega Luke had CC, and none of the new Megas have something like that.
Except for the fact that Diancie has 160 in both Offences and gets Diamond Storm, and of course Sceptile can go mixed

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
M-Gard will still be a really powerful force in the metagame. The only actual reason it's going to be losing viability is due to the speed creep and nature of some of these mons such as M-Gross. Just like now there's really not a huge amount of options thats wants to be switching into Hyper Voice by M-Garde.

Well we were discussing how to make Steelix work. In TR with either Sand or Curse than it can hit justifiably hard and the point is that its also bulky enough to receive physical retaliation from damn near anything. Steelix won't be chased out by Azumarill or Talonflame for example.

252+ Atk Steelix Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 211-249 (53 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill in Sand: 328-387 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix: 116-138 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Damn, Steelix can potentially OHKO Azumarill in the sand with Heavy Slam, and this isn't factoring that Mega Steelix is likely heavier than Steelix is, who is already heavier than Mega Aggron.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Well we were discussing how to make Steelix work. In TR with either Sand or Curse than it can hit justifiably hard and the point is that its also bulky enough to receive physical retaliation from damn near anything. Steelix won't be chased out by Azumarill or Talonflame for example.

252+ Atk Steelix Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 211-249 (53 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill in Sand: 328-387 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix: 116-138 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Damn, Steelix can potentially OHKO Azumarill in the sand with Heavy Slam, and this isn't factoring that Mega Steelix is likely heavier than Steelix is, who is already heavier than Mega Aggron.
I don't have enough experience with M-Steelix yet but as far as who you would pick for TR it really comes down to what else is being used around it. To me getting both sand and TR seems too much of a chore and I rather just use it with Wish support for something like bulky offense or semi-stall. Curse seems pretty nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)