Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Facade DD Roost +coverage attack on Mega Altaria seems better with max SpD and max HP as opposed to max HP and max Atk imo. It seems like it would be really good since SpD checks or even hard walls and sets up on many really threatening or just ubiquitous special attackers such as ZardY, Keld, Thundurus-I, Rotom-Wash(Facade says fuck burns), Lati@s, Mega Mane, MegaZam, Raikou, Starmie, Crocune, Kingdra, Alomomola, Mega Amphy, MegaDoom, and Zapdos. That's just the S, A, and B ranks too. A fully Specially Defensive set I think would just be overall more useful, reliably taking care of much more threats and still being able to sweep. The power drop does mean you need to set up more DDs that with max HP max Atk, but the SpD investment with the insanely good typing and great bulk more than makes up for that imo since it will just give you so many opportunities to set up as you check, counter, or even hard counter a ridiculous amount of OU mons.

>tfw gf intends steelix to be the sand team mega but mence takes it's place

realtalk what does mence benefit from sand?
I don't think it benefits from sand but anecdotally the most common teammates I'm seeing of Mence are the sand core. I used Scarftar on my M-Mence team and it seems like a good pair and if you're using T-Tar you may as well use Drill.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it's more that sand benefits from MMence b/c it checks MHera, Keldeo, YZard and Grass types in general and also uses Lando-T as setup fodder.

also it is MMence and makes every team automatically much better by its mere presence on it obviously.

Last edited:
Trying to build a basic Rain Core; aside from offensive Megapert, would the Offensive or Specially Defensive Politoed work better as a partner, and would Special Kingdra round it off?

Why Kabutops; doesn't Swampert already cover the Physical side? Thought Kingdra'd be needed for special in the same way kabu+king is run
I like life orb ludicolo for it's coverage to be honest. Grass, fighting, and ice coverage is great for water and it can be a secondary setter if you'd like. Very few things can wall both it and Swampert anyway.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
Yeah, Ludicolo isn't a bad idea at all. Might as well as replace Kingdra if you can afford to forgo Dragon coverage.

Besides, it depends if you're using Politoed+Rain Dance Mega Swampert or Mpert without Rain Dance, in which case a second setter could be a good idea (like Rain Dance+Uturn Damp RockTornadus-T) to give Swampert more turn to do his things, especially if it's the PuP variant.

Why Kabutops; doesn't Swampert already cover the Physical side? Thought Kingdra'd be needed for special in the same way kabu+king is run
The whole purpose of rain is to wear down the same pokemon with redundant breakers. MPert comes in, weakens the defensive pokemon, then kingra comes in, and gets walled by the special pokemon. Or, Mpert comes in, and after weakening the defensive pokemon, kabutops comes in, breaks it, then sweeps the rest of the team.

Straight from the Pokemon Dictionary:
Double Dragon
A strategy revolving around using two or even three Pokemon with a similar set of checks. The idea is that while one of the Pokemon can be used to weaken the enemy's checks, the other(s) can power through the weakened checks and sweep. Although the name originated with multiple Dragon-types on a team strategies in DPP, some people extend it to other types of Pokemon as well.

Soo... this is why I would use Kabutops over any special attacker.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd probably go with Keldeo instead of Kingdra or Ludi on a rain core. Keldeo provides good offensive presence even outside of rain, which the others really don't, and means you're not constantly beholden to your rain countdown.

Politoed/Swampert/Keldeo/Ferrothorn is probably where I'd start if I were building a rain core.

Yeah, Ludicolo isn't a bad idea at all. Might as well as replace Kingdra if you can afford to forgo Dragon coverage.

Besides, it depends if you're using Politoed+Rain Dance Mega Swampert or Mpert without Rain Dance, in which case a second setter could be a good idea (like Rain Dance+Uturn Damp RockTornadus-T) to give Swampert more turn to do his things, especially if it's the PuP variant.
Was thinking on the set recommended in the doc

Offensive Swift Swim

########

name: Offensive Swift Swim

move 1: Waterfall

move 2: Earthquake

move 3: Ice Punch

move 4: Superpower / Stone Edge / Rain Dance

ability: Swift Swim

item: Swampertite

evs: 206 HP / 252 Attack / 52 Speed

nature: Adamant

What would you guys say are the differents roles Altaria fills and what it's best set so far might be? I want to run it, but I'm not sure what roles it can fill or what to run with it.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
Was thinking on the set recommended in the doc
Well I'd use PuP instead of Superpower but that's just me.

With rain dance I'd go Swampert/CBzor to pivot/Phisically Defensive Rotom-W/Damp Rock Politoed/Ludicolo/Skarmory with Defog.
Without Rain Dance I'd go more Swampert/Politoed/Damp Rock Tornadus-T/Kabutops/Ferrothorn/bulky Latias or something similar.

Just curious, are +2 neutral nature 52 speed really enough to outspeed relevant threats? You'll reach 378 in rain which seems a tad low, especially if we consider new things like Megasceptile (dang), Lopunny, Beedrill (if it outspeed, a free U-Turn before it goes into someething like Ferro won't be appreciated). Obviously other Swift Swimmers and things like M-Alakazam are going to surpass you no matter what, but what are the targets? I think it is worth to think at least up to Greninja (and that is not enough), then speed creeping above depending on the rest of the team.

What would you guys say are the differents roles Altaria fills and what it's best set so far might be? I want to run it, but I'm not sure what roles it can fill or what to run with it.
It's a really interesting wall and sweeper. The typing is amazing and the bulk is solid. Personally, I like the special wall set with heal bell, roost, return, roar. It's a nice check to CM slowbro and resists many common special types like fire, water, and electric.

no offense to the guy that made them but a lot of sets on the doc are really subpar. like srsly swampert needs to outspeed sceptile, the sceptile evs for heatran are wrong etc
Fair 'nough. I was starting to doubt them after seeing him write 'mega camerupt is a weaker darmanitan'

I think I've optimized Altaria checking both Zards.

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 216 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Return / Facade
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Calcs:
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Altaria: 148-175 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Altaria: 124-147 (35 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 176-210 (52.8 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You win as long an you switch in on the Dragon Dance.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria in Sun: 149-176 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria: 99-117 (27.9 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria: 135-160 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 118-139 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 177-208 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I know, lol Air Slash. But that's the only other attack that crosses 24% damage. You can always flinch hax Alt to death. Stalling out the Sun turns is probably your best option, but it can also be worked around (especially with some Blast miss hax).

Rocks have to be kept off the field, but that's probably as close as you'll see in one set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)