Other ORAS Monotype Dragon Team - Choice Army

DD sweeper, Dragonite or Haxorus?

• Total voters

Grand Salad God

Banned deucer.
Hi! This is my first RMT, so don't be too harsh on me if i get stuff wrong. This is my Monotype Dragon-type team and I hope you'll be able to tell me how to improve on my team! BTW, this is MONOTYPE. Don't be a noob and tell me I have too many dragons. All pics from Google and Yahoo.

Let's Begin!

Garchomp @ Focus Sash

Ability: Rough Skin

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Dragon Claw

- Fire Blast

Role: SR setter and Attacker

Garchomp, the lead, SR setter and offense all mashed in one. Seriously, sometimes my opponents have a hard time deciding what moveset I run! Stealth rock is there but I usually don't use it vs Ground, Steel or Fighting teams. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are STAB, Dragon Claw as this set is supposed to Stealth Rock, not Outrage to death. Fire Blast for extra coverage. EVs are simple, but maxed speed and attack are just good. Focus Sash to ensure a layer of Rocks.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs

Ability: Adaptability (duh!)

EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe

Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Sludge Wave

- Hidden Power Fire

- Scald

Role: Fairy Counter and first Choice User

Originally, this was Kingdra, but I could not resist the temptation of Choice Specs STAB Adaptability Draco Meteor. It hits like a truck against anything not Steel or Fairy type. On the other hand, one of Dragon’s Weaknesses is Fairy. Sludge Wave flat-out ANNHIALATES any Fairy not named Klefki or Mawile, in that case HP Fire has been prepared for them (MUHUHUHUHUHA). Scald is for the burn chance and coverage, but I think Hydro Pump would do better as it has more power. EVs, Nature and Specs turn 97 SpA into usefulness. EVs from Smogon so I hope they are good. Would Hydro Pump be better?

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band

Ability: Teravolt

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Fusion Bolt

- Outrage

- Iron Head

- Rock Slide

Role: (Main) Dragon counter, Physical Wallbreaker and second Choice user

Zekrom! Kyurem! DigiFuse!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO RESIST USING THIS? Outrage, 120 Power off the bat plus STAB, Choice Band and hitting off a base 170 Attack NUKES anything that is not Steel or Fairy, or does not have over 150 Def. Not to mention it gets the same thing as Mold Breaker to make sure all feel the pain. Remaining moves are coverage against a few types. EVs and Nature built to Maximise Attack and Speed. I used a Jolly nature over Adamant because he doesn’t need more Attack! What do you guys think? (95 Speed is a little sucky, Jolly helps to fix that).

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Dark Pulse

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Role: Revenge Killer and final Choice user

Sadly, Gen 6 has given Hydreigon, one of my favourite BW Pokémon, little more than a sad 4x weakness to Fairy. However, it is still a good Pokémon and Revenge Killer. I would have chosen Latios, but there is a type redundancy (see below). Nature and EVs are basic but hit hard. Choice Scarf is used to patch up a 98 Speed. I chose Modest Nature because Timid didn’t hit hard enough. Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are strong STABs working brilliantly off 125 SpA, Earth Power to hit Steel types harder and Flash Cannon as a surprise middle finger to Faries, Ice or Rock.

Latias @ Latiasite

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Bold Nature

- Defog

- Calm Mind

- Psyshock

- Roost

Role: Bulky Defogger

Well, Mega Latias may not be seen a lot, but I TRIED. This is like the Smogon offensive Defog with more bulk and a mega. 40 points more SpA is good if you ask me. Mega Latias has brilliant SpD and good Def, so why not try a Bulky Defog? Defog because Dragonite and Kyurem-B hate SR, Roost for more health, Calm Mind to Boost Special Bulk and offense (Soul Dew is banned in OU) and Psyshock to hit physically weaker Pokémon and do damage, albeit this set is walled by Dark and Steel. Although Latias and Chomp don’t fit well with Defog and SR, find me a non-Uber drag-in fact, ANY DRAGON that knows Rapid Spin. YOU CANNOT. The Nature and EVs here are used to try to give her good physical bulk.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry

Ability: Multiscale

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Extreme Speed

- Earthquake

Dragonite, the one dragon in Gen I that a) resembled a dragon and b) was dragon type (Mega Charizard X doesn’t count since they won’t allow it in the Monotype room on this team). He’s a setup sweeper and his ability helps to set up one or two DD’s. Outrage is the main move here, Extreme Speed for priority and Earthquake to hit Steel types hard. Nature and EVs to do as much damage and make him faster. Simple but effective. It’s what a sweeper should be.

Should I use this or Haxorus? Hax is faster, has more attack and is not 4x weak to ice or weak to rock, but his ability and defenses are worse. Please respond to this.

That’s my team, please tell me how to improve it!

Importable: http://pastebin.com/HSc2ezAX

Last edited:

Grand Salad God

Banned deucer.
Naah Fire Fang is too weak. I do love rocks to screw my opponent's swtches, ESPECIALLY as I see a LOT of Fire teams. I can run Swords over Fire Blast, I guess.

I would chose Dragonite over Haxorous. His ability multiscale makes it so he almost always gets off a DD before he can be killed. Hax is good, but dragonite is and always has been an amazing Pokemon. For me, I would use a Critdra somewhere on this team because I love that mon, but your team looks pretty solid. The only thing I would add is that you need a bit more coverage for fire and grass mono-teams. Weather sucks, so maybe an HP on one of your special attackers? I'm not sure. Oh, and you have waaaaay too many dragons.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Cool team! I've always liked dragons :)
Anyway, I personally believe you should go with Dragonite for your DD sweeper. With Multiscale being one of the greatest abilities in the game for Dragonite's purposes and basically giving you a free DD (especially when combined with Lum Berry) it is better than Haxorus imo. It also has useful priority to bop annoying Pokemon who try to revenge kill with priority (especially Ice Sharders) such as Weavile, Mamoswine, and Glalie.

Next, I recommend using Healing Wish over Calm Mind and using Leftovers on Latias. You have sorta mixed the support Latias with the offensive Mega Latias, and I think you should pick one or the other. I obviously recommend regular Latias in a supporting role, since Kyu-B and Dragonite are weak to Rocks and it preserves Dragonite always important Multiscale. Healing Wish is a great move to have access to,and if used correctly late-game, you can bring something like Kyu-B or Dragonite back from the brink of death to fight against, which can often seal matches.

On Dragalge, I would recommend keeping Scald, as the burn chance is nifty and annoying, unless you find it missing crucial KOs. Generally, however, the accuracyand burn chance are better.

Lastly, I would recommend trying Fire Blast over Earth Powering Hydreigon. Access to a strong Fire move is one of its main niches over the arguably superior Latios, so use it :) If you find yourself struggling to kill Heatran, HP Ground over HP Fire on Dragalge is usable, but with EQ on Dragonite and Chomp, as well as it having no recovery, you should be able to wear it down.

This is a really good Dragon team in the current meta, able to hold its own against most of the top tier types, and even in disadvantageous matchups such as Fairy and Steel. Feel free to use however many of my suggestions you want, and have fun in your battles!

Grand Salad God

Banned deucer.
Thanks! the changes REALLY helped, especially on latias. God, the times I needed Latias to revive Kyu-B or Dragonite to clean a team...wow.

I
Usually never get the burn with scald on dragalge though... So I'm using Hydro pump at the moment.

And yes, Fire Blast does work a little better.

Hey there, pretty cool looking team but I'd like to suggest some changes to make it better.

First of all I'd suggest Flamethrower instead of Flash Cannon on Hydreigon, Dragon teams have problems agaisnt steel and Hydreigon just play the role as Steel slayer and I'll suggest Life Orb over Choice scarf.

Damage y/n? (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

I'd also recommend Life Orb or Scarf over Choice Band on Kyurem Black, to the simple reason it can run a quiet great mixed set of Ice Beam/Fusion Bolt/Earth Power/Iron Head/Dragon Claw. Any of these moves would be great.

You should run a Healer Latias on your team with screens, keeps high damage away of your team and gives you the ability to heal any of your Pokemon.

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Defog
- Healing Wish

For your mega choice, I'd run Mega Altaria instead of Dragalge, not many teams have the power to check Mega Altaria and can do great damage against, Fighting/Grass/Dark teams, thanks to it typing and bulk Mega Altaria can set up on a lot of things.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost/Refresh
- Earthquake/Fire Blast

As for Dragonite, I'd recommend Choice Band to tear holes in other teams, accompanied with E-speed which is a great late game cleaner.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Iron Head/Earthquake

This is at least what I see is good for the team, Also if you could update a threatlist that would be good for us to adjust it.

I'd use bulk Chomp as your hazard setter.

Garchomp @ rocky helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
252 HP / 94 Spe / 162 Def
Impish
EQ
Endure
Stealth rock
Dragon tail

Phazes out setup 'mons, deals chip damage on switches, still hits hard from its base attack.

And then you've got something to take a hit :)

For Dragonite, I suggest using Weakness Policy over Lum Berry. Weakness Policy allows you to take an Ice type attack and get a +2 Attack and Special Attack along with the +1 Attack and Speed.

What's the point of having Dragonite with inner focus? Unless one is going up against a mono-normal team with mega-lopunny and ambipom, there is very little reason to not run multiscale ddance. In my opinion, it is the best Dragonite set. With multiscale, you are basically running a band and a scarf that doesn't lock you in after the first turn. It's a lot better. Plus, ddance can't be knocked off.

I'm going to go through each member of your team individually.

Garchomp
Pretty solid set, would not drop special attack whilst running Fire Blast as it hinders your already unreliable 2HKOs of Ferrothorn and Skarmory. I'd also recommend rock coverage on a Garchomp as your team in particular is really lacking in an offensive against Flying types that are omnipresent, including those off the Flying mono.

Dragalge
Ew. While I understand the premise behind running Dragalge to kill fairies I've found that Dragalge is often not as good as the team slot it takes up where you could be running a Latios instead. Also, how many fairies do you honestly expect to find off of the fairy mono? The prevalent ones are Azumarill, Togekiss, and (kill me) Mega Altaria. Latios can do just as well as a Dragalge against the former two and Mega Altaria is better off being hit from the physical spectrum as your physical offense in the Dragon type will always be more reliable. Iron Head on Garchomp/Kyurem is a good answer to Altaria before it sets up, and if it is set up, you're fucked anyway. In terms of the fairy mono matchup, Garchomp and Kyurem can be made to be the key players there. Not many fairies enjoy eating Earthquake from a Garchomp due to their low physical defense (and the same goes for Kyurems and Iron Heads.)

Kyurem-Black
The move choice is excellent if you're doing a full physical spread, and that is an unexpected spread that many don't predict against. If you are to go full physical, I'd recommend Choice Scarf as opposed to Band because Kyurem does not have the speed to keep up ESPECIALLY for the role you're listing it as.

Hydreigon
Hydreigon is your main steel slayer and you do NOT want Hydreigon choiced. An non-choice Hydreigon can run through a steel team with a snap of your fingers when it has Earth Power and Flamethrower. On that note, you should definitely swap Flash Cannon for Flamethrower. To aid in your steel slaughter, you should change from a Choice item to a damage boosting one like an E-Belt or a Life Orb. On top of that, I firmly advocate running Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor on non-choice sets as it's a more consistent option.

Mega Latias
Good set, opportunity cost hurts, which I will go into later in the post.

Dragonite
I use a similar set, except mine is Jolly. I really like this set as it gets around wp predicts but it also fucks over psychic really hard given the right situation and that is a very difficult matchup for Dragon so that's always nice.

CONSIDER THESE ADDITIONS

Mega Altaria

Alongside Latios and Garchomp, I'd consider Mega Altaria a staple in ORAS Dragon. With a much coveted Dragon immunity even though I would have preferred a steel/dragon mega hydreigon ahahahahahaha shoot me, and a huge amount of DDance power and the availability of Frustration (run this over Return, it gets around Ditto,) and you've got yourself quite the mon. Would definitely take over Mega Latias since it's simply better.

Latios
Again, a Pokemon I'd consider a staple. Latios has key coverage that dragon really lacks, ESPECIALLY coming from the special side of things, where Dragon is weaker. BoltBeam rips apart any flying team and devastates water, and Psyshock is very key in the fighting matchup. If you were to run STAB and not say, energy ball, on a non-choice set, go Dragon Pulse, and on Choice, go Draco Meteor. Personally I prefer LO sets as they are able to actually stay in and work through an opponent's team.

Dragalge and Dragonite for Latios and Mega Altaria
Latios performs an excellent niche as a special attacker and Mega Altaria performs much the same function as Dragonite. However, since you run Mega Latias you'd be forced to change it to a normal one or keep one of the mons I suggest you switch and drop Latias. Either is a decent option. I've found that Dragon doesn't need hazard clearing to be successful but it helps immensely, so keep that in mind when making your choices.

You did a really good job building your first Dragon team. I remember my original one wasn't nearly as good (Blizzard Goodra ftw), and I hope you keep up with the type, as it's a lot of fun and we need more players that don't just choice all their dragons.

Grand Salad God

Banned deucer.
I'm going to go through each member of your team individually.

Garchomp
Pretty solid set, would not drop special attack whilst running Fire Blast as it hinders your already unreliable 2HKOs of Ferrothorn and Skarmory. I'd also recommend rock coverage on a Garchomp as your team in particular is really lacking in an offensive against Flying types that are omnipresent, including those off the Flying mono.

Dragalge
Ew. While I understand the premise behind running Dragalge to kill fairies I've found that Dragalge is often not as good as the team slot it takes up where you could be running a Latios instead. Also, how many fairies do you honestly expect to find off of the fairy mono? The prevalent ones are Azumarill, Togekiss, and (kill me) Mega Altaria. Latios can do just as well as a Dragalge against the former two and Mega Altaria is better off being hit from the physical spectrum as your physical offense in the Dragon type will always be more reliable. Iron Head on Garchomp/Kyurem is a good answer to Altaria before it sets up, and if it is set up, you're fucked anyway. In terms of the fairy mono matchup, Garchomp and Kyurem can be made to be the key players there. Not many fairies enjoy eating Earthquake from a Garchomp due to their low physical defense (and the same goes for Kyurems and Iron Heads.)

Kyurem-Black
The move choice is excellent if you're doing a full physical spread, and that is an unexpected spread that many don't predict against. If you are to go full physical, I'd recommend Choice Scarf as opposed to Band because Kyurem does not have the speed to keep up ESPECIALLY for the role you're listing it as.

Hydreigon
Hydreigon is your main steel slayer and you do NOT want Hydreigon choiced. An non-choice Hydreigon can run through a steel team with a snap of your fingers when it has Earth Power and Flamethrower. On that note, you should definitely swap Flash Cannon for Flamethrower. To aid in your steel slaughter, you should change from a Choice item to a damage boosting one like an E-Belt or a Life Orb. On top of that, I firmly advocate running Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor on non-choice sets as it's a more consistent option.

Mega Latias
Good set, opportunity cost hurts, which I will go into later in the post.

Dragonite
I use a similar set, except mine is Jolly. I really like this set as it gets around wp predicts but it also fucks over psychic really hard given the right situation and that is a very difficult matchup for Dragon so that's always nice.

CONSIDER THESE ADDITIONS

Mega Altaria

Alongside Latios and Garchomp, I'd consider Mega Altaria a staple in ORAS Dragon. With a much coveted Dragon immunity even though I would have preferred a steel/dragon mega hydreigon ahahahahahaha shoot me, and a huge amount of DDance power and the availability of Frustration (run this over Return, it gets around Ditto,) and you've got yourself quite the mon. Would definitely take over Mega Latias since it's simply better.

Latios
Again, a Pokemon I'd consider a staple. Latios has key coverage that dragon really lacks, ESPECIALLY coming from the special side of things, where Dragon is weaker. BoltBeam rips apart any flying team and devastates water, and Psyshock is very key in the fighting matchup. If you were to run STAB and not say, energy ball, on a non-choice set, go Dragon Pulse, and on Choice, go Draco Meteor. Personally I prefer LO sets as they are able to actually stay in and work through an opponent's team.

Dragalge and Dragonite for Latios and Mega Altaria
Latios performs an excellent niche as a special attacker and Mega Altaria performs much the same function as Dragonite. However, since you run Mega Latias you'd be forced to change it to a normal one or keep one of the mons I suggest you switch and drop Latias. Either is a decent option. I've found that Dragon doesn't need hazard clearing to be successful but it helps immensely, so keep that in mind when making your choices.

You did a really good job building your first Dragon team. I remember my original one wasn't nearly as good (Blizzard Goodra ftw), and I hope you keep up with the type, as it's a lot of fun and we need more players that don't just choice all their dragons.
THANK YOU.

That was extremely useful. I always overlooked Altaria as a mega and since I can't use mega char or mega mence, That really helped. I thinkI should keep Dragonite though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)