Project ORAS NU Discussion / Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Kecleon will be a really good mon once Protean + tutor moves arrive. Not sure how it will impact the meta, but we all know it'll show it's face a lot

Pangoro finally gets the moves it needed for it to not be completely garbage. Iron Fist becomes a usable ability

Gourgeist with synthesis/foul play is an odd case. It already wants to use will-o + leech seed, so you're a stuck with foul play/synthesis/sub/protect/disable/phantom force/rock slide to fill it's last 2 slots. I feel like the super variant will use synthesis, whilst small will choose to not use, as smallgeist will continue to do what it does best, outspeed what you need, and substall them out.

Gourgeist with synthesis/foul play is an odd case. It already wants to use will-o + leech seed, so you're a stuck with foul play/synthesis/sub/protect/disable/phantom force/rock slide to fill it's last 2 slots. I feel like the super variant will use synthesis, whilst small will choose to not use, as smallgeist will continue to do what it does best, outspeed what you need, and substall them out.
I think it will take some time playing before we know what the best Gourgeist set will be, but I think it's pretty safe to say most Gourgeist sets will look something like:

- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis / Protect
- Leech Seed / Disable
- Attacking Move (I'd probably use Foul Play, but it will definitely depend upon the meta/personal preference)

Honestly, you don't need Leech Seed. Think about all the defensive Pokemon that learn Leech Seed and a recovery move in NU--Ludicolo, Vileplume, Roselia, Exeggutor, Torterra, Tangela etc. Of these, only Exeggutor and occasionally Tangela run just Leech Seed, and that's because they have another form of recovery (Harvest, Regenerator). Everything else runs either just Synthesis or both. I think Gourgeist will probably run both because it generally has the room for both, but I don't see Substitute being that necessary unless you're running SubSeed on Gourgeist-Small. I also don't think you'll ever want to use two attacking moves because Gourgeist does have a decent amount of different options. SubDisable sounds fun too, especially on Gourgeist-Small, but then you're really torn for moveslots because you have to choose two of Leech Seed, Synthesis, Will-O-Wisp, and an attacking move, which isn't an easy choice to make.

Either way, Gourgeist definitely improves with the new move tutors. It'll be cool to see how it adapts because the usage it sees right now is criminally low.

I think it will take some time playing before we know what the best Gourgeist set will be, but I think it's pretty safe to say most Gourgeist sets will look something like:

- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis / Protect
- Leech Seed / Disable
- Attacking Move (I'd probably use Foul Play, but it will definitely depend upon the meta/personal preference)

Honestly, you don't need Leech Seed. Think about all the defensive Pokemon that learn Leech Seed and a recovery move in NU--Ludicolo, Vileplume, Roselia, Exeggutor, Torterra, Tangela etc. Of these, only Exeggutor and occasionally Tangela run just Leech Seed, and that's because they have another form of recovery (Harvest, Regenerator). Everything else runs either just Synthesis or both. I think Gourgeist will probably run both because it generally has the room for both, but I don't see Substitute being that necessary unless you're running SubSeed on Gourgeist-Small. I also don't think you'll ever want to use two attacking moves because Gourgeist does have a decent amount of different options. SubDisable sounds fun too, especially on Gourgeist-Small, but then you're really torn for moveslots because you have to choose two of Leech Seed, Synthesis, Will-O-Wisp, and an attacking move, which isn't an easy choice to make.

Either way, Gourgeist definitely improves with the new move tutors. It'll be cool to see how it adapts because the usage it sees right now is criminally low.
I think the best Gourgeist set will be something like
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed / Foul Play / Shadow Sneak / Protect

For whatever reason Dusknoir has more usage than Gourgeist Super, why?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I looked through some trainer teams in the ORAS Research Thread, and found this:
Glalie (Ability: Inner Focus) (Moves: Protect/Ice Shard/Hail/Freeze-Dry)
So not only is Mega Glalie a powerful offensive Spike setter (with base 500 BP Explosion, like the good ol' days~), but it can be a very potent all-out attacker as well. Glad to see that base 120 SpA not going to waste.

Hell, regular Glalie can make use of this too @3@

I looked through some trainer teams in the ORAS Research Thread, and found this:

So not only is Mega Glalie a powerful offensive Spike setter (with base 500 BP Explosion, like the good ol' days~), but it can be a very potent all-out attacker as well. Glad to see that base 120 SpA not going to waste.

Hell, regular Glalie can make use of this too @3@
To be fair, at the beginning of XY, Tornadus had Aeroblast in the Battle Test thing in Lumiose, but it turned out not to get it from any source in-game. It's possible that Glalie won't actually get Freeze-Dry, though it's also possible that it could. We'll have to wait and see of course.

As for its competitive implications, it's worth noting that most defensive Water-types in NU have a secondary typing that makes them neutral to Ice (Seismitoad, Pelipper, Mantine, stray defensive Ludicolo, etc.), but it would be nice for what I can only imagine is a guaranteed OHKO on physically defensive Seismitoad, as well as Poliwrath, Qwilfish, and offensive Water-types (Feraligatr, Samurott, Carracosta). Should be interesting if it does get it.

If Glalie will get Freeze-Dry (and I personally find this likely, considering this is the way it hunts) then a Naive nature will be the choice like with some Mamoswines in OU. There are plenty of bulky water types here that otherwise are pretty good answers to M-Glalie, having a way to beat them may end up with our beloved big head leaving NU.

Also, WHY DO YOU KEEP NOT LEARNING FUCKING HEAD SMASH?!

Me and Can-Eh-Dian had a fun battle, here's the replay: link. Pangoro is really strong, like really strong. Knock Off hits like hell and is very hard to switch into, with its high base power and Pangoro's raw power it will definitely be good. I'm testing Trick Room for now with Swords Dance Pangoro, what truly can say they switched into +2 Knock Off lol? For comparison of its power, Bisharp has 125 Attack and Pangoro has 124, nearly identical. Very cool Pokemon and I'm excited to use it when the time comes ^_^.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Here's some stuff:

1) Do you guys think the metagame will change a lot in ORAS? Will Offense become more popular with new Mega such as Glalie and Pidgeot?

2) Besides the Mega Evolutions, do you think some Pokemon will see more usage in ORAS? Will Drain Punch / Knock Off Pangoro and Knock Off Malamar be enough for them to see more usage? etc.

3) What sets do you guys think these Mega Evolutions will run?

4) Will Trick Room be viable with Mega Camerupt?

5) Will Mega Audino even be good oO

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
the meta will change a fuckload, to be blunt. even just beyond the obvious "ooo shiny" with the new megas, a lot moveset changes with tutors will have a big impact and even make some stuff legal that wasn't before (looking at pangoro, kecleon, malamar, chatot etc).

no, tr won't truly be viable and camerupt will probably be the worst of the megas we have (but still pretty solid). it just takes so much effort on a team to actually get it to function well - and only for a couple turns, at that. best case scenario has you being KOed as you set TR which is near impossible unless you have like burn dmg ticking over since TR is always last. next best is to faint right after, with explosion / being KOed / healing wish / what have you, then to switch to your preferred mon (camerupt). i just don't think camerupt has the punch to justify serious TR teams though i am most definitely willing to be proven wrong!!

yes, mega audino will be fine. not great, not applicable in all situations, but has enough advantages and potential that it's worth running on a serious team if built properly.

i'll probably post some sets tomorrow. oO

OH BRING BACK FLYING GEM SO MY BOY ARCHEOPS CAN WRECK SHIT

e2: also drain punch slurpuff = meta

Last edited:
I honestly think that Mega Camerupt will be quite the contrary: fantastic. Sure, its low base Speed sucks, but it is fantastic at what it does: wallbreaking. A simple set of Fire Blast / Earth Power / Hidden Power Electric / Filler does a great job of hitting everything. Fire Blast and Earth Power nuke all the things, and Hidden Power Electric allows it to smack Mantine as it switches in; Mantine is OHKOed by it after Stealth Rock or a bit of prior damage. This hits everything in the metagame neutrally and carries a ton of firepower. Seriously, Fire Blast OHKOes pretty much everything. I went through the viability ranking thread, and this is what I found:
OHKOed by Earth Power
Hariyama
Dragalge
Kabutops
Rhydon
Seismitoad [252 / 252+ is 2HKOed by Earth Power just barely, every other set gets blasted apart]

OHKOed by Fire Blast
Mesprit
Archeops
Mismagius
Rotom
Sceptile
Audino
Cryogonal
Vivillon
Xatu
OHKOed by Fire Blast or Earth Power
Feraligatr
Ferroseed
Kangaskhan
Pyroar
Samurott
Slurpuff
Typhlosion
Uxie [Unless running 252 / 252+, but even then it will have to not have taken ANY previous damage]
Liepard
Lilligant
Crustle
Gorebyss
Gurdurr
Jynx
Klinklang
Sawk

I know that a wall of "this does this" is by no means an argument, but it's more so to demonstrate the sheer force ( ;o ) of Camerupt and its moves. OHKOing everything in the A-, A, A+, and S Rank is nothing to shrug off. It's impossible to switch directly into. However, its low Speed and common weaknesses truly hold it back. It definitely won't be the best, it definitely won't be the worst. It could even just sound good on paper and perform horribly for all I know, I do know it at least looks good atm.

AV Thick Fat Hariyama exist bro. here's your counter. - sg

Earth Power 2HKOes after Stealth Rock unless I'm missing an EV spread thingy ?_? - unf

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Drain Punch Slurpuff is easily one of the best buffs, allowing it to OHKO most of the Steel-types if they're weakened or if Spikes are stacked.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 224-264 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - note that most Steelix aren't fully physically defensive

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 264-312 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Not to mention that the recovery allows Slurpuff to keep itself out of Fake Out range from the likes of Kangaskhan.

I think Mega Camerupt will be really strong as well, as a slow but powerful af wallbreaker. Agreeing with zeb that it won't make TR all too viable. Maybe a mini-TR core of OTR Eggy + MegaRupt or SR+Boom Carbink + MegaRupt is the farthest I would go.

As for Mega Audino, a set that looks something like Wish / Calm Mind / Heal Bell | Protect / Dazzling Gleam could be worth looking into, with a physically defensive EV spread. Normal / Fairy isn't a terrible physically defensive typing and Mega Audino's bulk isn't too shabby. I can imagine using this set midgame to pass Wishes and be annoying while sweeping up stuff late game. Not anything particularly eye-catching but it's a decent set I guess.

Honestly I think Mega Steelix is the worst Mega. I can't see a very good reason to take up a mega slot and depriving it of Leftovers or Sheer Force; please correct me if I'm wrong.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly I think Mega Steelix is the worst Mega. I can't see a very good reason to take up a mega slot and depriving it of Leftovers or Sheer Force; please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure if I can even debate whether or not it's the worst mega overall, but I think it's pretty neat. Wish it had a better ability, though.

252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 270-320 (76.2 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Steelix: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Steelix-M: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nearly uninvested Steelix-M has the same Defense as max/max neutral natured standard Steelix, and rivals max/max+ standard Steelix. That's pretty fantastic on its own, because that means Steelix-M can afford to run investment in other stats. Considering that specially defensive 'lix is probably the best set overall, the fact that Steelix-M could run a specially defensive set and boast nearly the same physical bulk as the physdef standard variant is phenomenal.

252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 278-328 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix-M: 221-260 (62.4 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not shabby, either.

Where I really think Mega Steelix shines is with the boosted Attack - it actually punches stuff way harder after tanking a hit. Like, way harder. (Running 240 Attack to stay in line with my 252 / 240 / 12 spread above; honestly Steelix-M has a lot of potential fluctuation with its spreads to accommodate for w/e.)

240+ Atk Steelix-M Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 369-435 (131.3 - 154.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240+ Atk Steelix-M Earthquake vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 174-205 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
240+ Atk Steelix-M Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 198-234 (59.6 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
240+ Atk Steelix-M Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 262-309 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (nearly outdamages 252 atk adamant cc on mega lix; easily does with yama at -1)
240+ Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (122 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 204-240 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
240+ Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 160-189 (66.3 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I dunno, it seems like a solid check to a lot of things (Klinklang, Kangaskhan, normals, Mesprit, etc) and slams everything back pretty hard. Plus, when you're nearly done for, you've always got the nice escape button in Explosion to net a KO on just about everything. Has its disadvantages just like Audino-M, but seems reasonable enough. I'd use it on some teams.

Punchshroom

Earth Power 2HKOes Thick Fat AV Yama after Stealth Rock unless I'm missing an EV spread thingy ?_?
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Earth Power vs. +1 128 HP / 128 SpD Hariyama: 190-225 (41.21 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Earth Power vs. +1 4 HP / 252 SpD Hariyama: 163-193 (37.9 - 44.88%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

I think you're just missing the item.

Mega Camerupt will hit like an absolute bastard, there is no denying that. MegaCamel can easily take advantage of the opponent's defensive links like, oh say poor poor Ferroseed, and really let the opponent have it. Sheer Force Fire Blasts and Earth Powers are going to be nuts to switch into for nearly any unresisted mon, so nearly every team has to watch its step. Its speed is still going to be its main issue though, as Pokemon that manage to switch into Camerupt's attack and survive can retaliate before Rupt can move again. Luckily the bulk increase can mitigate that problem, meaning only Water-types can really check MegaRupt; most Ground-types will not enjoy Rupt's attacks at all.

Talked about Mega Glalie already, but for real this is only going to boost offense even more. Spikes, Taunt, good ol' 500 BP Explosion that has enough power to OHKO Ferroseed 3/8 of the time hot damn, Refrigerate Return / Double-Edge, Earthquake, still holding out on Freeze-Dry. This is one sick lead/anti-lead, and is a competent attacker outside of that too.

I feel Mega Pidgeot is fairly mild as far as Mega Evos go. RU probably won't steal it from us since they have Moltres to worry about, which seems far more threatening than Mega Pidgeot could ever be despite the fact that it relies on inaccurate moves. Mega Pidgeot's power is certainly not overwhelming, though its speed and the fact that Hurricane can cause confusion can prove to be annoying. I think it would come down to whether NU's Flying resists, such as Lanturn, Probopass, Rotom, Rhydon, and bulky Archeops are enough to keep Pidgeot in check.

Mega Steelix's defensive boosts do a number of things for it. First, it now has ~the same physical bulk as invested Steelix. Second, its special bulk sees a substantial increase. SpD Steelix is where it's at right now, and being a much more efficient wall that maintains invested Steelix's physical bulk is good news for it. Sucks that it loses Lefties though, but it does weaken Knock Off at least :/

Knock Off is only going to be more common than ever, and we can expect a slight spike in Pangoro and Malamar usage, now that they can confidently spam their STAB knowing that Granbull and especially Slurpuff would not like the outcome. The fact that both can boost their power makes those STAB Knock Offs even more potent.

Mismagius looks more interesting now since it knows Mystical Fire. This swings the matchup against Cryogonal greatly in Mismagius's favor especially considering the SpA drop, and allows it to bypass problematic Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Pawniard much more easily. Pyroar still switches in easily, but at least its attacks can be weakened so teammates can dispatch of it with greater ease. Be warned that unboosted Mystical Fire does not OHKO Pawniard, meaning it will activate Defiant @_@.

Synthesis Gourgeist is yet another bone thrown to aid the spinblockers in their war against the spinners. It's still not walling Cryogonal, but it's going to take a huge dump on Kabutops and Sandslash unless they have Toxic. Synthesis is also going to allow Gourgeist to wall threats such as Feraligatr, Hariyama, and Rhydon with much greater ease. The meta still isn't particularly favorable for it atm, but it's something.

Kecleon is going to see a substantial boost in viability. It rivals Kangaskhan in power and special bulk, but has STAB on all of its moves, mainly its priority moves Fake Out & Sucker Punch. Its greatest issue, being the lack of coverage moves to abuse Protean with, is all but resolved, and gives it a way to hit bulky Rock- and Steel-types again without having to resort to special coverage moves. Kangaskhan does still have Scrappy to allow its Normal-type moves, most notably Fake Out, to land consistently, but Kecleon isn't restricted to having Double-Edge as a mandatory move; it can use almost any decently powered move as its STAB, such as Knock Off, Drain Punch, elemental punches, Aqua Tail, anything, and chances are it will be viable depending on the team. Kangaskhan is more well-rounded, but Kecleon is undoubtedly more versatile and can be tailored to handling particular problematic threats (as long as they aren't physically attacking monsters) better than Kangaskhan, which makes it far trickier to predict. As if we needed another priority spammer in the mix.

Water Shuriken Accelgor #newmeta

Last edited:
Pangoro will definitely more usage now that it gets Drain Punch and Knock Off. DP is really nice on something like Pangoro as it can make better use of Iron Fist, and it'll allow it to heal some of the damage that it will most likely take as slow as it is. Knock Off as already mentioned, hurts like hell coming off a STAB 124 attack stat. Don't know if Pangoro will be A rank materiel, but it will definitely be more used and better this time around.

To be fair, at the beginning of XY, Tornadus had Aeroblast in the Battle Test thing in Lumiose, but it turned out not to get it from any source in-game. It's possible that Glalie won't actually get Freeze-Dry, though it's also possible that it could. We'll have to wait and see of course.

As for its competitive implications, it's worth noting that most defensive Water-types in NU have a secondary typing that makes them neutral to Ice (Seismitoad, Pelipper, Mantine, stray defensive Ludicolo, etc.), but it would be nice for what I can only imagine is a guaranteed OHKO on physically defensive Seismitoad, as well as Poliwrath, Qwilfish, and offensive Water-types (Feraligatr, Samurott, Carracosta). Should be interesting if it does get it.
Freeze-Dry would be huge; something like Seismitoad would go from being neutral to Ice to becoming 4x weak.

To put it another way, Modest Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry 2HKOs 252/252+ Mantine, and that's a guaranteed OHKO with SR. The only real Water-type that sees real use and won't be 2HKO'd is likely Lapras (admittedly doing a very good job of it).

Punchshroom

Mega Pigeot
Sorry if you think this will be NU you are wrong this is easily going RU. No Guard with Hurricane and Heat Wave? Decent boost to speed and spatt? Access to Defog, Roost, U-Turn? Yeah this going up a tier and even if it's walled by bulky Rock types this is why you have 5 other pokemon
Already mentioned this, but the main reason Mega Pidgeot would struggle to shoot up to RU is because of the presence of Moltres, which for the most part is way harder to deal with despite the accuracy of its moves.

Aurorus you my good dinosaur are moving up a tier...why? Hyper Voice plus already existing Power Gem
I think you meant Earth Power over Power Gem, because Aurorus still does not get the latter. Regardless, it's extremely wishful thinking to believe it will 'move up a tier' simply because it has a slightly stronger STAB and new effective coverage because it is still haunted by its low speed and weaknesses; only if it fixed its initial speed to a drastic degree would RU even look at it.
Barbaracle is not a Stealth Rocker and I feel Dual Chop is a nice niche move
The fuk are you using Dual Chop for? Barbaracle already gets Dragon Claw anyway.
Braviary getting Zen Headbutt almost makes me want to run a Sheer Force + LO set
Tyrantrum now has Iron Head fairy-types beware
....You realize these things aren't NU right?
Dragalge gets Icy Wind that seems pretty damn cool
(not NU but Emboar getting Zen Headbutt is nice)
Frogadier getting Gunk Shot is amazing, as well as Ice Punch
Quilladin
gets Drain Punch and Low Kick

Malamar
gets Knock Off big whoop there nothing special
Lol I like how you noted these extremely inconsequential attacks on these Pokemon (especially Ice Punch Frogadier when Ice Beam hits pretty much everything harder), then shrug off something significant like Knock Off Malamar.

Vivillon gets Giga Drain so it can't be walled by Seismitoad, Rhydon, etc
Already gets Energy Ball js

I Personally want to bring into your minds the possibility of mega-audino being a tier threat in its own right.
We have to consider that audino through mega-evolving hasn't gained much and people who are stall diehards will continue to use audino's regular form as it is still a fantastic cleric and wishpasser with regenerator.
Therefore, we can't really consider mega evolution for mega audino as a stronger more powerful version of Audino, but an alternate forme it can possess.
Personally when I saw mega Audino stats the first Mon that came into my mind was spiritomb, and how similar the stat distribution was like. As well know, when spiritomb was in nu, one of its primary sets it like to run was crotomb. Possibly one of the hardest mons to kill at the meta after it got a couple calm minds going. I take a look at mega-audinos weaknesses and its only weak to one more type, boasts higher defensive stats, has slightly higher speed at the cost of lower special attack.
What this leads to in my mind, is a quite similar "crodino" set. The beauty is that when holding Audinite, Audino cannot be tricked (insert choice item) which unless you have several boosts under your belt, renders cro -mons useless.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss/Dazzling Gleam

Another thing Audino gets over its rivals is passive recovery in the form of of draining kiss. I believe that is a huge trait as it allows it to avoid 2hkoes from hard hitting physical attackers Like Choice Banded Adamant Sawk, which should be a surefire 2hko in most circumstances (bar ridiculously low rolls on both moves)

252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 192-226 (46.8 - 55.1%) (I changed the stats)

Audino is able to draining kiss on the turn Sawk CC's and rather than just missing out on the ko with gleam, recover loads o HP back with draining kiss and dodge the 2hko from cc as a result.

Of course this Mon comes with its problems, its completely walled by [insert steel type ] and can be setup on faster by loads of SD mons putting huge defensive pressure on your team. Not to mention it loses p much all cm wars and can be phased easily.
But, I can see this Mon becoming a top tier threat in oras nu just the same way crotomb did, you didn't know what it was, until it was too late.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Camerupt is a monster, the bulk it gets through Mega evolving coupled with Sheer Force and powerful dual STABs means that it is going to wreck face. I recently used it on a troom team and it just tore things up, quite excited to use this on the ladder and its pretty much guarenteed a KO or 2HKO any time it comes in.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock

Fire Blast is obviously the power house, Earth Power provides accuracy and power against Rock-types, Rock Slide is for any flying rock type (looking at bulkops lol) and honestly its just cause there isn't any real coverage options it gets, and Will-O or Stealth Rock is for w/e utility fits your team.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Ancient Power is probably a better move over Rock Slide. It hits harder (bc more SpA investment and stuff) and KOs Pelipper / Bulky Archeops after SR and it allows you to keep your Modest nature meaning your base 40 Spe pre-Mega isn't useless. Also, it doesn't miss :)

Also you guys probably know this already but Mega Camerupt is also really good outside of TR. it's bulky enough to take hits and powerful enough such that it forces a lot of switches and gets a lot of free opportunities to smack stuff. It can come in on a lot of stuff eg. Slurpuff, Electric-types, Fire-types, Weezing, a lot of walls. Use it if you haven't already.

--

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass] / U-turn

Mega Pidgeot is also an extremely fun Mega and shouldn't be underestimated. Rock-types without SpD investment are actually 2HKOed by Hurricane: Kabutops, Carracosta, and Archeops all get 2HKOed after SR and the first two do, like, 30% with Aqua Jet iirc. It's really good when paired up with SR and Spikes because it can then spam Hurricane and beat all the Rock- and Steel-types anyway. It's faster than Swellow too, so it can outrun and 2HKO a lot of stuff.

Punchshroom

Ancient Power is probably a better move over Rock Slide. It hits harder (bc more SpA investment and stuff) and KOs Pelipper / Bulky Archeops after SR and it allows you to keep your Modest nature meaning your base 40 Spe pre-Mega isn't useless. Also, it doesn't miss :)
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Ancient Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 116-138 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- 73.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Sheer Force Camerupt Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 222-262 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That is probably the main reason MegaRupt would consider Rock Slide. MegaRupt really doesn't need Ancientpower for other targets because Sheer Force Fire Blast just hits that goddamn hard.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 184-217 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 197-232 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Pidgeot's faster than Swellow too, so it can outrun and 2HKO a lot of stuff.
Mega Pidgeot: 121
Swellow: 125

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
I guess it's a mater of preference then. I prefer to OHKO Pelipper and Archeops before they Roost / force me out, but I can see why you would use Rock Slide.

Also oops, but point is that Mega Pidgeot is fast :)

Aurorus getting Stealth Rocks, Earth Power, and Hyper Voice are pretty huge easily making it viable thought still having a terrible defensive typing. Offensive with Rock Polish or Stealth rock support sounds neat,

Mega Pidgeot I feel will only have that one Hurricane + Heatwave set but it could be a decent Defogger in the tier and I would love to try just for kicks a Work Up set

Mega Beedrill has a decent amount of sets to run from a SD + dual STAB to a Roost + Knock Off set it's likable

Belly Drum Slurpuff will now probably be the best set (above CottonGuard+CalmMind) because Drain Punch it now has all it needs to wreck whatever whenever it wants

I think Pangoro will be very interesting with this set :

Pangoro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge / Earthquake

Drain Punch + Iron Fist will became op + STAB Knock Off. Gunk Shot for Fairy/Grass types, Stone Edge OHKO Archeops, EQ hit harder Lanturn than Drain Punch/Knock Off. I'll like this Pangoro

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aurorus getting Stealth Rocks, Earth Power, and Hyper Voice are pretty huge easily making it viable thought still having a terrible defensive typing. Offensive with Rock Polish or Stealth rock support sounds neat,

Mega Pidgeot I feel will only have that one Hurricane + Heatwave set but it could be a decent Defogger in the tier and I would love to try just for kicks a Work Up set

Mega Beedrill has a decent amount of sets to run from a SD + dual STAB to a Roost + Knock Off set it's likable

Belly Drum Slurpuff will now probably be the best set (above CottonGuard+CalmMind) because Drain Punch it now has all it needs to wreck whatever whenever it wants
Mega Beedrill will probably only have one set considering it dies to every non-Mach Punch priority move, as well as scarfers that surpass it in speed. Swords dance may be cool, as people may think you are running protect and try to get the free switch, but roost is a huge waste of a moveslot. U-turn / Poison Jab / Drill Run / Protect seems like the best set to me with maybe Knock Off > protect if you are feeling bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)