Project ORAS NU Research Week #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting this because I have a shit ton of work to do during the weekend and a farm league battle so I won't be lurking the forums as much. I tested Sub-Roost Swanna pretty extensively playing around 32 games although I would've liked to play more. I peaked at 1470 (http://imgur.com/LXCuaS4) and basically went downward spiral due to haxy matches and tilt. The ladder was especially annoying when I would get only 8 points when I won and lose around 30 points when I lost.

Here is the team I used: http://pastebin.com/MPUD7Lyr
Here are a couple of close matches where Swanna was da MVP: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199903416
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199906800

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Scald

My opinion upon testing: Lol I lied. Even though, Swanna was the member the team was based around, Malamar ended becoming the MVP most of the games. My theorymoning on using Scarf Tauros to trap Rotom was pretty stupid as most times I ended up 1) doing measly 70% to it 2) Getting burnt instead 3) Free set up for Gatr. Anyway the team is more of a balanced because I felt like Swanna shines on it the most. Sub- roost Swanna was a big surprise on the ladder because honestly no one fucking expects it. It shined the most against bulky offense and balanced teams where its dual stabs could break through walls. Although Lanturn was a big ass bitch, scald burn, spikes and volt switch meant I could sub and roost and stall it out. It could set up subs against shit like Seismitoad and Prinplup and with the help of T-spikes stall out a lot of walls. One thing that disappointed me was that its speed tier. Its not as fast as it was in BW2 NU and hence gets easily revenged unless you're behind the sub; but even then it gets beat by Pyroar's Hyper Voice which was pretty shit. Anyway people need to use this beastly set more because honestly Swanna sucks as a defogger despite the hype. Definitely a fun poke to use 6/10.

funny story i actually did all my laddering on snuggles n fluff and then i realized i have not to many games for my swanna alt, that being said i fucked around and lost all the rating on this account anyways
For my pokemon I picked out a swanna and a raichu but only one set for each of them really did anything. My swanna was an offensive defogger with petaya berry cuz why not and it also seemed like a good idea since it was a bit lacking offensively. I have roost defog surf and hurricane which i'm pretty sure is standard, as well as having wasted some evs for speed when i could have paced it for base 95's but thats just hindsight. It worked very well and did its job of defogging every game that I used it as a defogger, but i could never sweep a team with it since it would either not get the kill or be beat by special walls. after playing a lot of games with it i would say this is its best set but life orb over petaya of course, since its the best offensive defogger in tier. So in the end swanna was mostly a defogger and a revenge killer who could never secure a sweep, but even with other sets like rain dance, scarf, and mixed it never saw any more progress than this set. i wont go into detail about the rain dance sets and stuff since that just did awful and i lost most of my matches with that set. btw great for steelixes since i saw those about 90% of the time.
  1. Swanna @ Petaya Berry
  2. Ability: Hydration
  3. EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  4. Timid Nature
  5. - Hurricane
  6. - Surf
  7. - Defog
  8. - Roost
http://pastebin.com/KWbGp41u thats the team btw your welcome

anyways my other pokemon this week was very interesting, raichu. this lil beast of a rat encored and plotted the hell out of nasty things like the slutty lil mouse he is. I actualy only tried one set cuz everything else he would do is kinda dumb since it looks statwise like a set up sweeper.
I got encore for just stuff like switching in on subs or rocks and just for the sake of fun, coupled with nasty plot so my big pika could get off some damage, and lastly two attacking moves in tbolt and grass knot for once again mega steelix since focus blast sucks butts. while i could talk about its moves i think its more important to say swannachu make a great core with grass electric to flying water coverage as well as covering weaknesses. People wouldnt volt switch my swanna since they thought raichu would switch in and suck it up and basically didnt use any electric moves on my while raichu was alive, which is almost to say its like a repelent to volt switching (and swanna resists uturn :D) which shut down stuff that got switch initiative and momentum like scarfed rotoms and stuff. even things you would expect to be great counters like mega steelix which gets ohoked by +2 grass knot and hariyama which most likely will fake out which you can encore to force out. raichu was great until it came to stuff like how i said rotom gets countered but rotom takes tbolts and grass knots and then i saw a ton of vileplumes which i would need swanna or rupt to kill, basically i got forced out alot of raichu. maybe volt switch instead of encore would help since i can still get off big damage from nasty plots and keep my raichu alive. anyways raichu was a beast set up sweeper, electric blocker, revenge killer, encore-er while i used it but it only got a couple of sweeps.
  1. Raichu @ Life Orb
  2. Ability: Lightning Rod
  3. EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  4. Timid Nature
  5. - Encore
  6. - Nasty Plot
  7. - Thunderbolt
  8. - Grass Knot
all in all my core of raichu swanna was pretty good especialy raichu since it pressured players to predict around it, but it could only do so much when it came to bulky pokemon and they only realy did their job but never went above and beyond that. kinda a disapointing research week for my swanna since raichu completely outshined it (HAHAH IM SO FUNNY). btw sorry for no pictures but my comp just couldnt handle it.

So I'm figuring I should post my peak and my most successful Swanna team.

So I peaked at 1486 with 33 wins and 8 losses.
Swanna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Night Shade
- U-turn
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Stealth Rock

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

So for this team I wanted to try specs Swanna. Specs Swanna's hurricane hits really hard, the only reason I'm using HP Bug is because this team is weak af to Malamar and I wanted a good way of checking it, on any other team I would advise not using hp bug lol. Swanna's movepool isn't great anyways so I feel like HP Bug isn't a waste. T-wave Xatu slows stuff down for tales/swanna. Thunder Fang on Steelix is to lure in Mantine so Swanna can spam its special attacks easier. So yeah this is a funky team, p weak to Pyroar but oh well can't win em all.

My peak was 1406 which then got lost because of a bunch of misplays from my part coupled with bad luck, but I guess it's worth giving my opinion on what I used even if I don't have the time to ladder this week anymore.

Piloswine was my Pokémon of choice.
I used the standard Eviolite Tank set, as I strongly believe, after some runs with different sets, that this is the only set it can pull off in the current NU metagame. As others have already pointed out, Piloswine is a reliable Rock Setter and a little niche in being able to survive some spammable Fire attacks when at full HP, then strike back accordingly. I found that Piloswine can also work as a decent check to lead Archeops, or Archeops generally, yet it gets worn down easily.
The usual saying is that Priority Ice Shard is nice to pick off weakened opponents, but it rarely works in battle, as Piloswine is more useful at taking hits early on and weaking targets itself for others rather than being worth the struggle to keep it until late-game. The one huge flaw I found in Piloswine, though, is that its typing leaves it very weak to maybe some of the most common walls; e.g. Vileplume, Mantine, Hariyama, Seismitoad; and your tank against a wall is never the best idea. Even if it can ditch out a decent hit against those, it more often loses more by trying to stand in their way.
What little extra usefulness Piloswine may have had was in the Mega Glalie era, as I remember using it quite succesfully, but that is gone.

The team I used was as follow:

Piloswine (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Mantine (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Haze

Gourgeist-Super (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind
- Roost

I decided it could work well in a bulky team holding together two wallbreakers, in the form of CB Sawk + Specs Typh, and opening opportunities for them. Mantine's slot was originally filled by Lanturn, but I quickly realised Water Absorb + Ground immunity helped me more than Volt Absorb + Ground weakness. Gourgeist-Super shined a lot with this team, stopping a bunch of physical attackers that may have been troublesome otherwise, and Xatu was there to pressure opponents to predict the Magic Bounce and sometimes win CM Wars against Audino if I had previously misplayed the two main offensive Pokémons. Piloswine was far from being the MVP of the team, but it sure helped weakening opposing threats that underestimated its bulk.
All in all, Piloswine is a fun Pokémon to use, yet I wouldn't recommend it most of the time over the other Rock Setters with a superior typing and utility. But damn, this pig looks awesome. :]
Here are some replays where Piloswine managed to pull its weight:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199215142
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199694781
And one where it is obviously rendered almost useless by a common wallcore of Mantine + Vileplume:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-200781254

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Peaking at 1511 ELO, 32-5 record and 21 on the ladder (not going to bother trying to go higher with serp now being a thing).
Not going to post team yet (will probably use for this week's SPL Farm league team) but it was one of the most fun teams to use in awhile (you will see why when I post the team, I might make an RMT about it I had that much fun :0)

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- Signal Beam/ Focus Blast/ Thunderbolt

I guess fairly self explanatory. First off, Static is not the better ability to lightening rod (not that there are a ton of electric types to begin with, but at the very least raichu will not be taking many physical hits with life orb and low defenses), however, it is the mandatory ability in order to run surf. And the para is obviously helpful when received lol. Volt switch is pretty much standard except for sub nasty. Also good move to use on stuff like Rhydon, seismitoad, and 2 ground megas to bluff scarf early on (from there you can switch out to preserve potential for scarfer as especially for my team, as it would not be surprising if raichu was my scarfer, or go for the ohko/2hko while you predict rocks). Grass knot hits primarily seismitoad or rhydon. Surf destroys camel and does a massive chunk to mega-steelix. Surf is also nice to get a guarantee kill against specs typhlosion and non scarfed pyroar. Signal beam is primarily there for malamar because it's annoying. Focus blast + surf guarantees the kill on specially defensive mega steelix that switch in (with stealth rocks up, raichu has a very chance to 2hko specially defensive mega steelix with 2 surfs) and hits a few things like kangaskan? Thunderbolt is for more reliable stab and would let you be more at ease to not rely on a roll for volt switch to kill a weakened specially defensive gurdurr like in my last match smh.

Congrats to Shuckleking87 for winning Week 3 with a ladder rank of 1511!

This weeks mons are Mega Audino, Gourgeist-Small, Poliwrath, Accelgor. So get cracking and signups close on Monday!

I've always wondered about Gourgeist-Small, but never quite enough to actually use it. This seems like as good a time as any.

Alt: BetterAWalrus

Sorry, I was a little busy so i forgot about the last research week but..

using: Accelgor
alt: nofux (I've used the alt before, but haven't played any NU games with it. Hope that's okay)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
using Accelgor

not signing up for an alt because i already laddered with an accelgor team and i dont want to do it again smh <_<

but may contribute something somehow =)

And with that sign-ups are closed for this week. Be sure to post your ladder ranking before Friday!

Let's get some discussion going with these pokes. How useful are these Pokemon in ORAS NU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame?

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Audino is easily the best pokemon this week, and I would even argue it's a Top 10 Threat, but it's extremely rare because people are too busy abusing M-Steelix and M-Camerupt smh. While it's undoubtedly most hyped up set was CM RestTalk, which is a good sweeper on its own right, my favorite M-Audino sets are the less standard, more immediately offensive sets, especially this one:

Audino (F) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 84 SpA / 32 SpD or 248 HP / 64 Def / 164 SpA / 32 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast/Surf
- Wish
- Protect

I posted this set on New/Creative/Underrated Movesets thread (though with a different EV spread, credit to Can-Eh-Dian), and it's been performing fantastically in general. The choice between the two EV spreads comes with the choice of the coverage moves, with the first 2HKOing 252/0 M-Steelix and the second 2HKOing Ninetales. It's a fantastic team supporter and glue with Wish, a great lure with its chosen coverage, and it checks most of the meta due to fantastic bulk and recovery. The 32 SpD Evs can be invested into defense, but it's nice to avoid the 2HKO from Scarf Typh's Eruption, and you can also use a more offensive spread and still do very well.

I've been using this set in everything, especially in balance and bulky offense, and it just provides so many defensive, offensive, and supportive capabilities that it's insane it's not more common. It's also a stop to Malamar, which is great because that thing's cancer to slow teams.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Ok so Accelgor's Life Orb set is pretty good. I know some people already know of this set, but some people seem to think Spikes lead is its only set so there. It's been getting more common on the ladder, too, and while ladder =/= viability, its usable nonetheless.

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Spikes

Life Orb Bug Buzz hits a lot of threats for neutral damage, so that's a good go-to STAB. It also dunks Malamar if you have problems (some people seem to complain a lot about him) Focus Blast sucks and it's the main reason I won't be using it in situations where I'd be salty if I lost due to misses (laddering tryhard / in an otherwise important game), and that's why I won't be laddering with it lol but it hits Mega Steelix, Bouffalant, Pyroar, etc. much harder than you would with any other move. Modest Nature gets you KOs and you won't miss the speed.

Other than the first two, you can mix-and match. Spikes allows Accelgor to do something on obvious Hariyama switch-ins. Energy Ball 2HKO Mismagius, and hits Water and Ground. Sludge Bomb will cover Mega-Audino if that's a big problem for your team otherwise for some reason, but it's obviously not intended as a switch-in. Encore is probably more useful against enemy setup, or just for locking the enemy into a move and sacrificing Accelgor so that you can set up with something else. Hidden Power is there but it kind of doesn't do enough in most cases. Maybe HP Electric can try to 2HKO the Water/Flying defoggers who will often directly switch into Accelgor.

Ok so Accelgor's Life Orb set is pretty good. I know some people already know of this set, but some people seem to think Spikes lead is its only set so there. It's been getting more common on the ladder, too, and while ladder =/= viability, its usable nonetheless.

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Spikes

Life Orb Bug Buzz hits a lot of threats for neutral damage, so that's a good go-to STAB. It also dunks Malamar if you have problems (some people seem to complain a lot about him) Focus Blast sucks and it's the main reason I won't be using it in situations where I'd be salty if I lost due to misses (laddering tryhard / in an otherwise important game), and that's why I won't be laddering with it lol but it hits Mega Steelix, Bouffalant, Pyroar, etc. much harder than you would with any other move. Modest Nature gets you KOs and you won't miss the speed.

Other than the first two, you can mix-and match. Spikes allows Accelgor to do something on obvious Hariyama switch-ins. Energy Ball 2HKO Mismagius, and hits Water and Ground. Sludge Bomb will cover Mega-Audino if that's a big problem for your team otherwise for some reason, but it's obviously not intended as a switch-in. Encore is probably more useful against enemy setup, or just for locking the enemy into a move and sacrificing Accelgor so that you can set up with something else. Hidden Power is there but it kind of doesn't do enough in most cases. Maybe HP Electric can try to 2HKO the Water/Flying defoggers who will often directly switch into Accelgor.
Also since a ghost is pretty mandatory with spikes, the combo of Bug+Ghost coverage puts a lot of offensive pressure on opposing Psychics so that your own Fighting or Psychic can have an easier time and are much more effective. Also with modest, you can't outspeed Scarf Mesprit which is a bummer. Highly underated mon though and people should use it more.

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Spikes

I actually run the same set but with Encore > EBall, since you get a lot of utility even on offensive Accelgor with Encore due to its insane speed tier.

http://i.imgur.com/sy28jeY.png Peak proof, 1471, 52-18

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Phantom Force/Rock Slide/Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp/Pain Split

I didn't want to try Gourgeist-Small without taking full advantage of its speed stat, so I originally invested fully into it. In practice, this didn't help me with anything except outspeeding some Rapidash variant without max speed I ran into around 3 times, so eventually I moved points into defense while leaving enough to outrun max speed base 95s. The HP investment is for maximum recovery.

I messed around with options like Destiny Bond and Magic Coat for support moves, but Gourgeist-Small definitely seems most effective as a fast SubSeeder. If you can get it onto the field safely and get a Sub up, you can use Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp to slowly wear down the opponent while taking advantage of its speed tier to keep hiding behind Substitutes. Leech Seed and Leftovers make up for most of the health lost by creating a substitute. Phantom Force creates an extra turn for recovery, which can be especially fun when you're already behind a Sub. Rock Slide hits Fire types and Xatu that may try to come in on Gourgeist, while also allowing you to add its flinch chance to the list of infuriating things you can do. Foul Play is another good option. I found that opponents would often try and get Swellow and Zangoose in safely on Gourgeist, and Foul Play can punish that. Pain Split can be used instead of Will-O-Wisp to abuse Gourgeist's low base HP, and it works well in combination with Sub.

Getting Gourgeist-Small in safely almost always involves prediction and/or risk. It can often switch in on Uxie, Granbull and Ferrothorn, but hates the status conditions they could potentially inflict on him, things like Sandslash, Kabutops, Golurk and cleric Audino could Knock Off Leftovers, etc. When given a good opportunity to set up, it can be very annoying and effective, but generally didn't act as a key player during my matches.

I found it surprisingly effective against weather teams, however. The variant of Uxie commonly used on weather teams is very unthreatening to Gourgeist, and its SubSeed shenanigans can stall a few weather turns, while Will-O-Wisp stacks with Life Orb damage on Swift Swim/Chlorophyll users to make them go down quicker.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-202651026 - Getting momentum off Golurk and harassing it and Ludicolo, outspeeding Nasty Plot Jynx, good summary of its strengths
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-201238219 - The beginning of the match showcases what Gourgeist can do given momentum against an ill-prepared team or inexperienced player, but obviously isn't impressive
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-201716692 - Preventing Accelgor from getting off Final Gambit, burning Swift Swim Life Orb Ludicolo to make it easier to manage, stopping Kabutops from finishing my team by outspeeding and threatening Will-O-Wisp

in case I can't post this tomorrow for whatever reason imma give an update now.

http://prntscr.com/5svhi3 only at 1221 elo with 8 games right now because school is not nice, but I'll give my thoughts on accelgor anyway so I actually contribute something. so far my impressions of it are really positive. He is a great revenge killer and late game cleaner with the life orb set and can put in work against most of the meta. I'm using it on a rain team so he isn't always the MVP compared to ludicolo or kabutops, but he does a great job against anything my rain can't handle early on like malamar, cradily, seismitoed and even forroseed to a certain extent. He is also a great check to serperior, one of the best offensive checks if you ask me and I encourage people to use life orb accelgor if you need an offensive check to serperior. I tried the spikes lead set too and honestly I'm not fond of it. I feel the life orb one has a better offensive presence and provides more momentum while still being able to support with spikes or encore, plus it's nice to keep it alive for the late game because it deals with threats like malamar and serperior. Hazard control also helps it, but I've never felt it to be 100% necessary. If anything, your own rocks + spikes will help accelgor more than keeping hazards off your side of the field because it appreciates the extra chip damage.

here's the team I've been using: (http://pastebin.com/UHaPpaaC) pastebin for anyone who actually wants it

Pretty much standard rain + random Accelgor. A very autopilot team as rain teams always are. To be honest there are definitely better options to use other than accelgor on this team, but that doesn't mean it won't put in work. It seems to be a nice backbone to kabutops and ludicolo which deals with whatever they struggle with nicely early on so they can sweep later.

All in all, accelgor is a great pokemon, especially the life orb attacker set. Being a check to both serperior and malamar (some of the biggest threats) is what really makes it stand out in my opinion and even though I didn't use it all that much on this alt, it really does a lot of work from what i've seen in the past. It's a great revenge killer and late game cleaner on hyper offense teams and can support the team too. rate 7/10 for now

Im gonna try and get in like 20/30 more games if possible so I dont give an opinion on something I barely used.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ferroseed doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot for your team, its just sort of there. I would replace it with something that can actually take advantage of the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)