Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: Lilligant's is superb at setting up Quiver Dances against slower Pokemon bye using Sleep Powder, making it a great Special Sweeper considering it is in a solid speed tier. Quiver Dance lets it get boosts to Special Attack, Speed and Special defense which allows you to sweep reliably with a solid move-pool, and the Special Defense boost helps you set up on a lot of special attackers even without Sleep Powder. Sleep Powder is used so you have free turns to set up your Quiver Dances on things slower than Lilligant or things that can otherwise not harm Lilligant. Giga Drain acts as Lilligant's main STAB and form of recovery, which Lilligant will appreciate if you have taken damage from setting up or from the Life Orb. Hidden Power Fire allows you to break through grass types that resist Giga Drain and are immune to Sleep Powder as well as hit steel types for a large amount of damage so you aren't walled by them. Life Orb is the preferred item to maximize damage, however you can use Leftovers to help you set up on passive enemies so they do less damage to you each turn. The EV's are simple, 252 speed with timid lets you have as much speed as possible to tie with other Lilligants as well outspeed adamant Kangaskhan and Klinklang whilst 252 Special Attack is to max out your damage output. Lilligant is one of the best special sweepers in the meta and uses a lot of upper tier pokemon as setup fodder and is big threat to a lot of play-styles like Bulky Offense and Balance.

Good Teammates: Because fire is such a prominent offensive type in NU, and Lilligant can do nothing about it, teammates that can switch in on hard hitting fire attacks are a great help to Lilligant. A great one is Mega Camerupt, which takes fire hits very easily and threatens Fire-Types, Steel-Types and Poison-Types with Earth Power as well as Ice-Types and bulky Grass-Types with Fire Blast. It also gives Camerupt a free opportunity to set up stealth rocks to help Lilligant clean sweep and wear down Fire-types. Bulky Water-Types like Seismitoad and Prinplup also do this well, being able to switch in on Fire-Type attacks well and get an opportunity to set up stealth rocks for free. It generally appreciates having teammates that can take care of Liepard, which can stop it from setting up with Encore and things that can kill common priority users as they can stop Lilligant from sweeping. A good example of this is Hariyama or Sawk which stops Kangaskhan and Sneasel which can both threaten Lilligant with priority and in general. Hariyama also serves as a fire and ice switch in for Lilligant with thick fat. Lilligant also appreciates anything that can stop grass types, as they often wall Lilligant by being immune to sleep powder and resistant to grass.

What Counters It: Fire-Types in general are the biggest counter to Lilligant as it can do almost nothing to them with Giga Drain or Hidden Power Fire. the most important Fire Type check to Lilligant is Magmortar which is immune to Sleep Powder with Vital Spirit and resists all of Lilligant's moves. It is also countered by Vileplume as Hidden Power fire doesn't do enough to KO to bulky variants and it is immune to Sleep Powder. Xatu is another counter as it is immune to Sleep Powder because of Magic Bounce and resists Giga Drain and it can set up Calm Minds on Lilligant. Assault Vest Muk is also a solid counter, factoring out luck.

Additional Info: Hidden Power Rock is an option over Hidden Power Fire as it helps you sweep past most Fire-Types as well as Xatu and Scyther, but it is more of a niche option.
Some things that should be added in boltsandbombers mention that Sleep Powder is also used to put things to sleep that Lilligant can not OHKO at +1 and can also be used to put hazard setters to sleep first turn. Hidden Power Rock should get a slash after HP Fire as it is still a solid option as fire types are quite prominent along with flying types and scyther. A sentence about Giga Drain allowing it to sweep longer because of the health regain should be added. Lum Berry should be the secondary slash and not Leftovers as getting paralyzed or toxiced ruins Lilligants sweeping chances.

Other than that nice job Wolfenstein !

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated it all, thank you Mont :]

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: Lilligant's is superb at setting up Quiver Dances against slower Pokemon bye using Sleep Powder, making it a great Special Sweeper considering it is in a solid speed tier. Quiver Dance lets it get boosts to Special Attack, Speed and Special defense which allows you to sweep reliably with a solid move-pool, and the Special Defense boost helps you set up on a lot of special attackers even without Sleep Powder. Sleep Powder is used so you have free turns to set up your Quiver Dances on things slower than Lilligant or things that can otherwise not harm Lilligant. Sleep powder also acts as a way for Lilligant to get past things it cannot OHKO by putting them to sleep as well as being a great tool to put hazard setters to sleep on the first turn. Giga Drain acts as Lilligant's main STAB and form of recovery, which Lilligant will appreciate if you have taken damage from setting up or from the Life Orb. This also allows Lilligant to sweep longer because of the health regeneration which allows it to take more attacks. Hidden Power Fire allows you to break through grass types that resist Giga Drain and are immune to Sleep Powder as well as hit steel types for a large amount of damage so you aren't walled by them. Life Orb is the preferred item to maximize damage, however you can use Lum Berry so you don't have to worry about statuses like Thunder Wave and Toxic stopping you from sweeping. The EV's are simple, 252 speed with timid lets you have as much speed as possible to tie with other Lilligants as well outspeed adamant Kangaskhan and Klinklang whilst 252 Special Attack is to max out your damage output. Lilligant is one of the best special sweepers in the meta and uses a lot of upper tier pokemon as setup fodder and is big threat to a lot of play-styles like Bulky Offense and Balance.

Good Teammates: Because fire is such a prominent offensive type in NU, and Lilligant can do nothing about it, teammates that can switch in on hard hitting fire attacks are a great help to Lilligant. A great one is Mega Camerupt, which takes fire hits very easily and threatens Fire-Types, Steel-Types and Poison-Types with Earth Power as well as Ice-Types and bulky Grass-Types with Fire Blast. It also gives Camerupt a free opportunity to set up stealth rocks to help Lilligant clean sweep and wear down Fire-types. Bulky Water-Types like Seismitoad and Prinplup also do this well, being able to switch in on Fire-Type attacks well and get an opportunity to set up stealth rocks for free. It generally appreciates having teammates that can take care of Liepard, which can stop it from setting up with Encore and things that can kill common priority users as they can stop Lilligant from sweeping. A good example of this is Hariyama or Sawk which stops Kangaskhan and Sneasel which can both threaten Lilligant with priority and in general. Hariyama also serves as a fire and ice switch in for Lilligant with thick fat. Lilligant also appreciates anything that can stop grass types, as they often wall Lilligant by being immune to sleep powder and resistant to grass.

What Counters It: Fire-Types in general are the biggest counter to Lilligant as it can do almost nothing to them with Giga Drain or Hidden Power Fire. the most important Fire Type check to Lilligant is Magmortar which is immune to Sleep Powder with Vital Spirit and resists all of Lilligant's moves. It is also countered by Vileplume as Hidden Power fire doesn't do enough to KO to bulky variants and it is immune to Sleep Powder. Xatu is another counter as it is immune to Sleep Powder because of Magic Bounce and resists Giga Drain and it can set up Calm Minds on Lilligant. Assault Vest Muk is also a solid counter, factoring out luck.

Additional Info: Hidden Power Rock is an option over Hidden Power Fire as it helps you sweep past most Fire-Types as well as Xatu and Scyther, but it is more of a niche option.
Nice job, added in :]

Last edited:
i dont see how pelipper/mantine/vileplume are considered feraligatr checks, with the former 2 doing nothing to it but giving it torrent before they die to coverage, and the latter just dying to a boosted ice punch

speaking of which where the burd checks at tho? burd spam is heavily underrated even with the omnipresence of stealth rock in the tier.

i cry that u dont list consider megalix a pivot

plz put regular glalie as a potential spike user and remove its mega sprite from wallbreaker sections

where is the return to top button on this site? scrolling up and down all the time is a pain

you can list hariyama as a wallbreaker with its unused flame orb/choice band set

Duck Tank Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
Evs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
-Scald
-Giga Drain/Ice Beam
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

Role: Physical Wall, Mixed Wall

What It Does: Ludicolo is an underrated physical wall. With the ability to burn 100 of the time through scald, and 3 solid formes of recovery, ludicolo is a great switch-in to those rocks/grounds/steels/waters. Ludicolo also has natural special bulk to help win against psychic types and avoids the 2hko from even LO mesprit most of the time. Scald is mandatory on any bulky water especially physical ones. Burn chance is always nice. The choice between giga drain and ice beam is team dependent. Giga drain beats bulky waters and offensive ludicolo, meanwhile if your team tends to struggle with grass types, ice beam is another option.
Leech seed is what makes ludicolo... well ludicolo (other than its beautiful smile and based dance moves). Leech seed helps u win against calm minders, especially musharna and audino, who are both forces to recover more often (which provides a free turn of lefties/seed). Synthesis is there for a solid recovery in case u cant afford to seed or giga.

Good Teamates: Good teammates include bulky steels (like klinklang or steelix) to ward off flying/poison attacks, or fire types (like flareon or ninetales; fwg in 2 mons) to take bug/fire moves. Poison types also make good teammates because they add a fighting resist as well as remove dreaded tspikes, meanwhile ludicolo can tank psychic and ground attacks for them. Stealth Rocks are mandatory as most of ludicolo switchins are burds.

What Counters It: Vileplume and Cacturne counter non ice beam variants. Rotom-burd can tank a few scalds and force it out with air slashes, as well as scyther (aerial ace, tho fearing burn) or mantine. MARILL. Wallbreakers that it doesnt resist such as sawk or guts/banded yama can force a 2hko if it doesnt get burn or seeds up in time. Cryogonal can switch in all day.

Any Additional Info: You can opt for a specially defensive spread, countering threats such as camerupt or other ludicolo, but they arent as based as this one.
i posted this cuz steelix is everywhere and i like water types

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i dont see how pelipper/mantine/vileplume are considered feraligatr checks, with the former 2 doing nothing to it but giving it torrent before they die to coverage, and the latter just dying to a boosted ice punch

speaking of which where the burd checks at tho? burd spam is heavily underrated even with the omnipresence of stealth rock in the tier.

i cry that u dont list consider megalix a pivot

plz put regular glalie as a potential spike user and remove its mega sprite from wallbreaker sections

where is the return to top button on this site? scrolling up and down all the time is a pain

you can list hariyama as a wallbreaker with its unused flame orb/choice band set

Duck Tank Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
Evs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
-Scald
-Giga Drain/Ice Beam
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

Role: Physical Wall, Mixed Wall

What It Does: Ludicolo is an underrated physical wall. With the ability to burn 100 of the time through scald, and 3 solid formes of recovery, ludicolo is a great switch-in to those rocks/grounds/steels/waters. Ludicolo also has natural special bulk to help win against psychic types and avoids the 2hko from even LO mesprit most of the time. Scald is mandatory on any bulky water especially physical ones. Burn chance is always nice. The choice between giga drain and ice beam is team dependent. Giga drain beats bulky waters and offensive ludicolo, meanwhile if your team tends to struggle with grass types, ice beam is another option.
Leech seed is what makes ludicolo... well ludicolo (other than its beautiful smile and based dance moves). Leech seed helps u win against calm minders, especially musharna and audino, who are both forces to recover more often (which provides a free turn of lefties/seed). Synthesis is there for a solid recovery in case u cant afford to seed or giga.

Good Teamates: Good teammates include bulky steels (like klinklang or steelix) to ward off flying/poison attacks, or fire types (like flareon or ninetales; fwg in 2 mons) to take bug/fire moves. Poison types also make good teammates because they add a fighting resist as well as remove dreaded tspikes, meanwhile ludicolo can tank psychic and ground attacks for them. Stealth Rocks are mandatory as most of ludicolo switchins are burds.

What Counters It: Vileplume and Cacturne counter non ice beam variants. Rotom-burd can tank a few scalds and force it out with air slashes, as well as scyther (aerial ace, tho fearing burn) or mantine. MARILL. Wallbreakers that it doesnt resist such as sawk or guts/banded yama can force a 2hko if it doesnt get burn or seeds up in time. Cryogonal can switch in all day.

Any Additional Info: You can opt for a specially defensive spread, countering threats such as camerupt or other ludicolo, but they arent as based as this one.
i posted this cuz steelix is everywhere and i like water types
Alright, so I really appreciate the effort you put into the post but I feel the set is way too niche. Basically, the vest purpose of that set in this meta would be to check rain teams to some extent, but the only thing it really checks is opposing Ludicolo. I honestly just see it as a niche set that was a thing last gen where weather was permanent and it could do its job better. Overall, its just inferior to the simple Rain Dance set, which you are much better off using. Sorry.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You know tbqh I've never really been much of a fan of how vague the categories are. What I mean by that is there's a lot of Pokemon lumped together with supposedly similar roles when they're astronomically different in practice--for example, putting both Garbodor and Cacturne under the same (vague) classification of "Spikes stacker" gives off the impression that their roles are similar when they're obviously not. I mean there's a lot of different team structures with different requirements and I just don't like the way this thread doesn't make that clear. Not totally sure how to go about that, but you could probably split up each section into smaller ones for offensive and defensive Pokemon and so forth.

edit: iirc there was a somewhat similar project last gen that listed each individual archetype and put mons / roles that each specific one needed. That would probably take a lot of work tho

Also idg why like all the previous entries from the other thread were just c/ped over, a lot of the sets are outdated / not as good in this meta as they used to be plus there's like a million mentions of mons that aren't NU anymore lol

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
You know tbqh I've never really been much of a fan of how vague the categories are. What I mean by that is there's a lot of Pokemon lumped together with supposedly similar roles when they're astronomically different in practice--for example, putting both Garbodor and Cacturne under the same (vague) classification of "Spikes stacker" gives off the impression that their roles are similar when they're obviously not. I mean there's a lot of different team structures with different requirements and I just don't like the way this thread doesn't make that clear. Not totally sure how to go about that, but you could probably split up each section into smaller ones for offensive and defensive Pokemon and so forth.

edit: iirc there was a somewhat similar project last gen that listed each individual archetype and put mons / roles that each specific one needed. That would probably take a lot of work tho

Also idg why like all the previous entries from the other thread were just c/ped over, a lot of the sets are outdated / not as good in this meta as they used to be plus there's like a million mentions of mons that aren't NU anymore lol
So, what do you think I should do? Scrap all the entries from the previous thread? Split up some of the vaguer roles into offensive and defensive mons (like spikers)? I get your points, but I'm not too sure as to what I should change.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Typhlosion is one of the most dangerous pokemon in the tier, slaughtering just about anything with prediction. It can OHKO almost every offensive mon, and its few switch ins tend to lack recovery (notably Hariyama, Sligoo and Lanturn). Eruption is used as its main weapon, as a full health eruption can 2HKO even the bulkiest of non resists, even specially defensive Mega Audino after stealth rock. Fire blast lets typhlosion stay dangerous after it's taken damage, and a blaze boosted fire blast will actually do more damage than a full health eruption. Hidden power grass is amazing coverage alongside fire stab, doing good damage to predicted water and rock type switch ins, letting it smash mons like Seismitoad, Sammurott, Rhydon and Feraligatr on the switch in, as well as getting valuable chip damage on lanturn. Extrasensory is in the fourth slot to hit Hariyama on the switch in, 3HKOing it, and given the lack of recovery, makes it a shakier check. Focus blast can also be used in the fourth slot, to hit other fire types and thick fat miltank, but is not recommended, as Yama is almost omnipresent, and other fire types dislike taking eruptions anyway.

Good Teammates: Typhlosion likes to have hazard control so that it can keep healthy to fire eruptions. It isn't absolutely necessary, however, due to the nature of blaze. Ways to deal with hariyama, switch ins to boosting water types, and entry hazards are all greatly appreciated, making bulky Seismitoad an excellent partner, countering feraligatr kabutops and physical Samurott, setting stealth rocks, taking ground and rock type and luring grass types. Colbur berry Xatu can handle Hariyama, keep hazards of the field, and even with prediction set hazards of it's own. Ferroseed can set spikes or stealth rocks, handle water types, and spread paralysis (Typhlosion can almost single-handedly beat a paralyzed offense team). Prinplup can check offensive water types (be wary of lum berry) and defog away hazards. Other teammates that pair well with Typhlosion are mons that it supports, almost every offensive mon in the tier likes the wallbreaking power that Typhlosion brings, with Feraligatr and Lilligant especially loving having grass types pressured and walls broken open, easing their sweeps greatly.

What Counters It: Hariyama is the tier's most common fire spam check, and it can handle hariyama fairly well, although its lack of recovery means it can't switch in very often. Lanturn can take three of any attack and scare it away with STAB water moves. Sliggoo takes even less from it's attacks, but is less threatening in return. Because of how prediction reliant Typhlosion is any core of resists can force mindgames and hinder it's effectiveness. Typhlosion is handled most easily with hazards and water priority, especially from feraligatr.

Any Additional Info: Typhlosion is a fairly simple mon, and it's EV spread reflects this, it really just wants power and speed, so no other spread is recommended. Typhlosion is at its most threatening in the early to mid game, where it can do huge ammounts of damage, weakening the opponent's team. A choice scarf set also exists, but is not as good, because the power of choice specs is what really sets it apart. I would strongly recommend this pokemon to newer players, because of how straightforward and effective it is.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Typhlosion is one of the most dangerous pokemon in the tier, slaughtering just about anything with prediction. It can OHKO almost every offensive mon, and its few switch ins tend to lack recovery (notably Hariyama, Sligoo and Lanturn). Eruption is used as its main weapon, as a full health eruption can 2HKO even the bulkiest of non resists, even specially defensive Mega Audino after stealth rock. Fire blast lets typhlosion stay dangerous after it's taken damage, and a blaze boosted fire blast will actually do more damage than a full health eruption. Hidden power grass is amazing coverage alongside fire stab, doing good damage to predicted water and rock type switch ins, letting it smash mons like Seismitoad, Sammurott, Rhydon and Feraligatr on the switch in, as well as getting valuable chip damage on lanturn. Extrasensory is in the fourth slot to hit Hariyama on the switch in, 3HKOing it, and given the lack of recovery, makes it a shakier check. Focus blast can also be used in the fourth slot, to hit other fire types and thick fat miltank, but is not recommended, as Yama is almost omnipresent, and other fire types dislike taking eruptions anyway.

Good Teammates: Typhlosion likes to have hazard control so that it can keep healthy to fire eruptions. It isn't absolutely necessary, however, due to the nature of blaze. Ways to deal with hariyama, switch ins to boosting water types, and entry hazards are all greatly appreciated, making bulky Seismitoad an excellent partner, countering feraligatr kabutops and physical Samurott, setting stealth rocks, taking ground and rock type and luring grass types. Colbur berry Xatu can handle Hariyama, keep hazards of the field, and even with prediction set hazards of it's own. Ferroseed can set spikes or stealth rocks, handle water types, and spread paralysis (Typhlosion can almost single-handedly beat a paralyzed offense team). Prinplup can check offensive water types (be wary of lum berry) and defog away hazards. Other teammates that pair well with Typhlosion are mons that it supports, almost every offensive mon in the tier likes the wallbreaking power that Typhlosion brings, with Feraligatr and Lilligant especially loving having grass types pressured and walls broken open, easing their sweeps greatly.

What Counters It: Hariyama is the tier's most common fire spam check, and it can handle hariyama fairly well, although its lack of recovery means it can't switch in very often. Lanturn can take three of any attack and scare it away with STAB water moves. Sliggoo takes even less from it's attacks, but is less threatening in return. Because of how prediction reliant Typhlosion is any core of resists can force mindgames and hinder it's effectiveness. Typhlosion is handled most easily with hazards and water priority, especially from feraligatr.

Any Additional Info: Typhlosion is a fairly simple mon, and it's EV spread reflects this, it really just wants power and speed, so no other spread is recommended. Typhlosion is at its most threatening in the early to mid game, where it can do huge ammounts of damage, weakening the opponent's team. A choice scarf set also exists, but is not as good, because the power of choice specs is what really sets it apart. I would strongly recommend this pokemon to newer players, because of how straightforward and effective it is.
Added in, nice job.

Kecleon @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak/Knock Off

Role: Revenge Killer, Priority, Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Kecleon is arguably one of the most underrated Revenge Killers or Physical Sweepers in all of NU. Kecleon has potentially 3 priority moves in Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak. It has good type coverage due to Protean and is also good for faking out moves would be super-effective, but aren't due to a simple Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch. Fake Out is for revenge killing and also lets it do damage on its first turn in. Sucker Punch is good for hitting hard and also allows you to get a type switch into things that want to hit hard. Drain Punch is Kecleon's only recovery which it needs desperately if it is running Life Orb, it also allows Kecleon to hit hard against most types. Shadow Sneak is good as it is priority and also gives you a type switch into Ghost, which allows you to cancel Fake Outs or Fighting moves from Pokes like Hariyama or Gurrdurr. Knock Off is a viable option, but it removes a type switch.

Good Teammates: Kecleon fits in with most comps and also has the ability to fair on its own against most Mons due to Protean. Kecleon doesn't have amazing defenses, so anything that Kecleon can switch out to that can take a hit for it will help. Baton Passers or Wish Passers give it the recovery it needs in Wish or more damage in stats. Otherwise, Kecleon's main job is to Revenge Kill or sweep anything that can't take its hits.

What Counters It: Weezing is a very strong counter against Kecleon as it has the ability to take all of its moves well and also return with Sludge Bomb and Will-O-Wisp, which will severely cripple it. Vileplume is also a great counter as it can tank all of Kecleon's main damaging moves, and can return with a Sleep Powder and Sludge Bomb. Kecleon has a hard time against anything that can take its hits relatively well and hit back harder, and Kecleon also has a problem with slow speed for Drain Punch.

Any Additional Info: Knock Off is a OK alternative to Shadow Sneak, but it loses Priority and also loses another type change in Ghost. Leftovers is a viable option as it gives Kecleon recovery outside of Drain Punch, but Life Orb is almost always better as it wants the damage. I'll try to update this section with a battle of Kecleon if I see or can get one myself.
Looks good for the most part, but I'm not too sure with the move slashes.

This is what I'd go with:
-Drain Punch
-Knock Off
-Sucker Punch
-Fake Out / Shadow Sneak

If you need some explanation let me know, but I just feel for the most part that Knock Off is more useful than Shadow Sneak.

Also, lefties isnt that great, and while this may seem weird I suggest making AV the first slash and then Life Orb. With its massive SpD and an AV, Kecleon can stomach many strong special attacks, but LO is good too for obvious reasons. Make these changes and I'll add it in.

Mind if I reserve swords dance serperior and weather setter liepard and uxie? I'll have them done much faster this time. :]

Also, When writing these should I call weather setters support, or should I fit them in their own category?

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Mind if I reserve swords dance serperior and weather setter liepard and uxie? I'll have them done much faster this time. :]

Also, When writing these should I call weather setters support, or should I fit them in their own category?
Like I said earlier, you don't need to reserve stuff just post them whenever you have the entry done.
Idk about the second thing, dw about it too much.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Return / Wild Charge
- Substitute
- Shift Gear

Role: Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Klinklang is a physical sweeper that utilizes a unique move "Shift Gear" to boost its attack by 1 stage and speed by 2 stages. Gear Grind is Klinkllang's primary STAB, while the secondary coverage move will be either Return or Wild Charge. Return is usually better than Wild Charge because Wild Charge only hits bulky waters like Prinplup and Feraligatr harder while Return is better neutral coverage. Substitute lets Klinklang dodge status, and can really make Klinklang a threat to more passive teams because you can turn walls such as Ferroseed into setup fodder. The EV spread lets you outspeed neutral natured base 80's such as Kabutops and Mesprit, which is really neat because you can outspeed Kabutops in rain after a Shift Gear. Klinklang's great typing is what lets it setup on most of the metagame, you can setup for the most part on Scyther, Vileplume, Ferroseed, Cryogonal, Kangaskhan, Mesprit, Musharna, Swellow, and Uxie. Although intimidate isn't very common in NU, Clear Body prevents people from sacrificing Granbull to lower Klinklang's attack.

Good Teammates: Good teammates are those that can check Klinklang's checks and Counters. For example, Hariyama would be a good teammate because it checks fire types. Pokemon that lure in and KO Seismitoad are good too, so an expert belt Rotom would be good because Rotoms are usually assumed to be scarfed and Rotom can go for HP Grass and KO Seismitoad. Pokemon that check Mega Steelix are good too, Mantine switches into earthquakes and threatens Mega Steelix with scald.

What Counters It: Seismitoad and (Mega) Steelix are counters that can always switch into Klinklang and threaten Earthquake/Earth Power. Gurdurr can also switch into any attack and drain punch.

Any Additional Info: If the opponent has a counter like Seismitoad it's best to to just go for an attack on the switch instead of trying to setup. This weakens Seismitoad for later in the game when Klinklang can sweep.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Stallbreakers / Taunt Users:

bro those two dont do the same things..

barbaracle can sr

pyroar isnt a darm wallbreaker

like if you agree!
smh just sucking up for likes zzz
bring that up with Montsegur - he told me to group them like that so idk, but I can see your point.

Mont Edit: I actually told you that Mismagius goes under both of them cause it can stallbreak

Last edited by a moderator:
You are missing some spike/tspike users: budew, delibird, dwebble, maractus, pineco, roselia, quilladin and whirlipede. I might not have the best knowledge of the nu tier but I just wish to maintain the integrity and accuracy of your list. Have a wonderful day. :D

yea adding weather supporters might be a good idea. Add samurott under priority user plox. also since when was kanga a wall breaker lol

hey one quick idea, how about addinga section dedicated to revenge killers like popular scarfers, kanga, kadabra etc

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem/Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Role: Defensive Pivot/Hazard User

What It Does: With All the psychic types in the tier, Probopass can usually find multiple safe switch ins during the match after which it can either use a slow volt switch to bring a teammate in safely or cripple something with either t-wave or toxic. T-wave is a move Probo will use to support his team while toxic is going to be used to wear down most ground type switch ins. His stab move of choice Is most likely going to be power gem to beat opponents like Swellow and Pyroar while stealth rock is there for obvious utility. flash cannon is an option over power gem if your team doesn't care about bird mons but the only thing it has over it is the possible sp def drop.
Probo's typing really complements the capabilities of a special pivot. Physical defensive is out of the question with his 4x ground and fighting weakness and the abundance of those types as coverage moves.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can't come in directly but love a slow volt switch instead are good teammates for Probo. Typhlosion being a good example since it also appreciates Probo's stealth rock support. Something frail that needs a toxic orb activated is also a good option. Zangoose and Swellow being prime examples.

Probo himself needs something that can take care of fighting and ground types. Xatu is a pretty decent option here since it can beat/cripple a lot of Probo's counters and it can complete the pivot core if you're choosing for u-turn on his set.

What Counters It: This set gets countered by the numerous ground types in the tier. Mega-Steelix can block the volt switch and force probo to switch although some people might be hesitant to send Steelix in on Probo because it might run the trapper set that counters Steelix. Seismitoad is another example but this one can be worn down with toxic damage if it’s a problem for your team.

So blocking volt switch with a ground type is one way to deal with this set. On the other hand any fighting type that can come in on any move of Probo that isn't volt switch or t-wave can just proceed to either knock it down to sturdy range or just flat out KO it.

Any Additional Info: An offensive pivot is also an option with a different EV set, probably earth power over t-wave/toxic and magnet pull as his ability. This set would be more capable of wearing down/getting rid of Mega-Lix.

Last edited:

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Role: Defensive Pivot/Hazard User

What It Does: With All the psychic types in the tier, Probopass can usually find multiple safe switch ins during the match after which it can either use a slow volt switch to bring a teammate in safely or cripple something with either t-wave or toxic. T-wave is a move Probo will use to support his team while toxic is going to be used to wear down most ground type switch ins. His stab move of choice Is most likely going to be power gem to beat opponents like Swellow and Pyroar while stealth rock is there for obvious utility.
Probo's typing really complements the capabilities of a special pivot. Physical defensive is out of the question with his 4x ground and fighting weakness and the abundance of those types as coverage moves.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can't come in directly but love a slow volt switch instead are good teammates for Probo. Typhlosion being a good example since it also appreciates Probo's stealth rock support. Something frail that needs a toxic orb activated is also a good option. Zangoose and Swellow being prime examples.

Probo himself needs something that can take care of fighting and ground types. Xatu is a pretty decent option here since it can beat/cripple a lot of Probo's counters and it can complete the pivot core if you're choosing for u-turn on his set.

What Counters It: This set gets countered by the numerous ground types in the tier. Mega-Steelix can block the volt switch and force probo to switch although some people might be hesitant to send Steelix in on Probo because it might run the trapper set that counters Steelix. Seismitoad is another example but this one can be worn down with toxic damage if it’s a problem for your team.

So blocking volt switch with a ground type is one way to deal with this set. On the other hand any fighting type that can come in on any move of Probo that isn't volt switch or t-wave can just proceed to either knock it down to sturdy range or just flat out KO it.

Any Additional Info: An offensive pivot is also an option with a different EV set, probably earth power over t-wave/toxic and magnet pull as his ability. This set would be more capable of wearing down/getting rid of Mega-Lix.
Put flash cannon in front of power gem as a slash, its a stronger stab, and has a good chance to drop the d

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I really appreciate the effort you put into the post but I feel the set is way too niche. Basically, the vest purpose of that set in this meta would be to check rain teams to some extent, but the only thing it really checks is opposing Ludicolo. I honestly just see it as a niche set that was a thing last gen where weather was permanent and it could do its job better. Overall, its just inferior to the simple Rain Dance set, which you are much better off using. Sorry.
definitely not niche. it also shits on mega steelix, wears shit down well with scald burns and leech seed, 4x resists water, is cute, etc. it's a very good set, and it's absolutely not inferior to rain dance because they have completely different roles on a team.

Put flash cannon in front of power gem as a slash, its a stronger stab, and has a good chance to drop the d
I'll put it up but they're the same base power and power gem allows you to beat vivillon and other burds better. Also the only notable fairy to hit with flash cannon is granbull (if i'm not missing any) so...

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll put it up but they're the same base power and power gem allows you to beat vivillon and other burds better. Also the only notable fairy to hit with flash cannon is granbull (if i'm not missing any) so...
Mega Dino, but power gem is still better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)