Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Adding Magneton checks could be optimal, it's one of the best mons in the tier rn lol. (even if it might just be everything with earthquake)
Well, the ones that outspeed, wouldn't call Rhydon a great Magneton check!

Okay Bolts here we go for my first look at this:

Gabite and Cradily --> Defensive Stealth Rock setters.
Definitely add Fletchinder --> Offensive fire type checks, maybe defensive as well (I'm aware there's a cool eviolite set).
I'm shaky about Garbodor in Malamar checks, I mean I know it technically does, but after a few boosts it doesn't. Malamar tends to beat it 1v1 unless haze, but that's not exactly common.
Kabutops and Magneton --> Normal type checks, self explanatory.
Mega Audino should DEFINITELY be in fighting type checks.
Add Magneton --> Psychic type checks.
Also remove Quagsire from psychic type checks, the title doesn't specifically say "calm mind psychic types" and a lot of them carry Giga Drain/GK/EBall to deal with Quagsire since it stayed in NU.
Add Kangaskhan to wallbreakers, not sure why this wasn't already there.
Add Uxie to pivots.
Add Mesprit to Calm Mind sweepers, and remove Carbink, people shouldn't be given the idea that's viable.

Can't think of anything else, hope this helps things.

I would like to nominate Carracosta as a Defensive Stealth Rock user.
Carracosta is a solid SR user currently that besides rocks offers a chek for Fletchinder, Archeops, Sneasel and Normal Spam. I think the turtle deserves to be listed in this area.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, the ones that outspeed, wouldn't call Rhydon a great Magneton check!

Okay Bolts here we go for my first look at this:

Gabite and Cradily --> Defensive Stealth Rock setters.
Definitely add Fletchinder --> Offensive fire type checks, maybe defensive as well (I'm aware there's a cool eviolite set).
I'm shaky about Garbodor in Malamar checks, I mean I know it technically does, but after a few boosts it doesn't. Malamar tends to beat it 1v1 unless haze, but that's not exactly common.
Kabutops and Magneton --> Normal type checks, self explanatory.
Mega Audino should DEFINITELY be in fighting type checks.
Add Magneton --> Psychic type checks.
Also remove Quagsire from psychic type checks, the title doesn't specifically say "calm mind psychic types" and a lot of them carry Giga Drain/GK/EBall to deal with Quagsire since it stayed in NU.
Add Kangaskhan to wallbreakers, not sure why this wasn't already there.
Add Uxie to pivots.
Add Mesprit to Calm Mind sweepers, and remove Carbink, people shouldn't be given the idea that's viable.

Can't think of anything else, hope this helps things.
Adding Cradily, but not Gabite since its not on the viability rankings. I've seen Gabite have some success but I just want to keep things consistent with the VR.
Somewhat iffy on Fletch as a fire check since the two most relevant fire types apart from itself are pyroar and magmortar, and acro cant kill either from full while they both KO in return.
Yea garb isnt a great malamar check, I agree.
Agree with everything else.
Added costa to defensive rockers.
Split up a bunch more of the sections into offensive and defensive.
Removed the "mega pokemon" section because the different sections are supposed to show your options for that role on a team, and well there's just one.

Hey Friends, i would like to nominate Servine as a Boosting Sweeper, contrary + a strong Stab Leaf Storm is really cool.

are there rly no good options for trick room? I assume musharna is an obvious in this scenario, but I can't see trick room being that bad of a strategy in a tier with hariyama

are there rly no good options for trick room? I assume musharna is an obvious in this scenario, but I can't see trick room being that bad of a strategy in a tier with hariyama
Trick room should be a bit better after departure of Mega Camerupt because it could use your trick room and counter sweep lol.Though it meant trick room also lost a powerful user in itself. Musharna is a cool trick room user and you have other options like Ursaring, Marowak, Exeggutor etc. Then you have good trick room setters like lead carbink. It's a legit strategy but full on trick rooms have rarely been successful in NU. The 5 turns just doesn't cut it vs bulky teams and there aren't many good trick room setters tbh. I think its a legit strategy though and I can see something like Eggy sweep end game with trick room in this offensive meta we have right now.

Reactions: 2MN

Nominating Aurorus for Choice Scarf User.

Choice Scarf + Blizzard w/ Snow Warning is an incredibly powerful set. With this high BP STAB, in addition to its other coverage moves, Aurorus is a huge threat to many teams.

Reactions: nv

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated everything with above comments, added Golurk to wallbreakers and split up hazard control into offensive and defensive.

Orphic

perhaps
Okay so some more suggestions here for you bolts!

These are big IFs:

• If Magneton stays, add it to choice scarf users. Maybe add it to wallbreakers? And potentially pivots too if you feel like it.
  • Add Gallade to set up sweepers under swords dance and bulk up. Maybe add it to taunt users?
  • I'd certainly add Mesprit to offensive Malamar checks.
  • Personally, I'd remove rampardos from weather setters, when does it ever set up sandstorm? At a stretch, if others agree, remove mantine too, but that's actually been used so that can stay if people think it should.
  • Add Pinsir to choice scarf users for sure.
  • I think we need to be pickier with the "priority" section, for instance lots of things get sucker punch like Xatu, but I dont think that warrants a place on the list, therefore Huntail also shouldn't be on that list.
  • I may be wrong about this but since the end of the Typhlosion/Camerupt meta, is the fire checks section that relevant for just Pyroar and Magmortar really? You can ignore this completely, but I'm feeling like if Magneton stays then Electric/Magneton checks is more relevant. Fire checks can stay, but electric will need a spot on the list.
This is a tight thread you got going here, harder for me to find stuff each time! Keep up the good work bolts n_n

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
okidoke
  • Magneton is already in wallbreakers, but I'll add it to scarfers.
  • I'll add Gallade to those areas, but I doubt it'll be here for very long lol.
  • Yea Mesprit is a solid offensive malamar check, added that.
  • Yeah, meta covered what I was going to say about rampardos, althought its not really a rain setter its moreso just for sun teams and its a decent suicide sun / sr setter.
  • Dont really agree with scarf pinsir, doesn't sound that great since it would much rather appreciate the power boost from life orb, and if I were to go with choiced pinsir (which on its own is somewhat unappealing since you lose the ability to run sd or stealth rock) I'd go with cb. On that note, added Pinsir to wallbreakers.
  • Not going to remove it yet, but I am leaning towards removing the Fire-type checks section since they're much less prominent than they used to be and I dont think you need to prepare as heavily for them in teambuilding.
  • Removed Xatu from offensive hazard control but I'm iffy on offensive Pelipper.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, appreciate them.

Orphic

perhaps
The psychic type checks section needs updating a bit.

Uxie to defensive checks.
Claydol to (offensive?) checks.
Musharna to defensive checks.
Mesprit to offensive checks.

Just something to keep you ticking over bolts n_n

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The psychic type checks section needs updating a bit.

Uxie to defensive checks.
Claydol to (offensive?) checks.
Musharna to defensive checks.
Mesprit to offensive checks.

Just something to keep you ticking over bolts n_n
The reason for the Psychic-types check section is mainly to keep in check CM Psychic-types. All of the mons you listed are set up fodder for most CM Psychic-types, assuming you were talking about pivot Musharna.

Sneasel checks:
  • Carbink (defensive) resist knock and eats icicle crashes all day
  • Weezing (defensive) high physical bulk (better than Garbodor's) retaliates with sludge/flame or will'o
  • Monferno (off/def) priority revenge kill / resists stabs and has recovery (guys try this thing ._.)
  • Avalugg (defensive) takes like 0 from anything :^)
  • Torkoal (defensive) same as ice table but can retaliate with lava plume :o
  • Bulky fletch (defensive) maybe an offensive check too, resists icicle crash with gale wings roost, dosent mind knock off + sneasel isn't going to enjoy acrobatics and will'o
Sun Abusers:
  • imo jumpluff should be removed. With 110 speed Chlorophyll isn't overall that useful. Faces stiff competition on a spot on a sun team as there's usually better abusers
  • Vileplume?
  • Leafeon?
  • Fire types (Pyroar, Magmortar) ?
Fighting-type Checks:
  • Rotom-Fan, high bulk, not weak to knock off and has flying stab
  • Vivillon (offensive)
Malamar Checks:
  • Nominating Samurott (Megahorn=ded malamar)
  • Vivillon :3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Sneasel checks:
  • Carbink (defensive) resist knock and eats icicle crashes all day y
  • Weezing (defensive) high physical bulk (better than Garbodor's) retaliates with sludge/flame or will'o y
  • Monferno (off/def) priority revenge kill / resists stabs and has recovery (guys try this thing ._.) I'll add it if it moves up, see below (it outspeeds base 80's by one point so I could see it doing something also has tpunch + solid dual stabs as well as prioity)
  • Avalugg (defensive) takes like 0 from anything :^) see below, it actually is a good check to non low kick sets
  • Torkoal (defensive) same as ice table but can retaliate with lava plume :o see below
  • Bulky fletch (defensive) maybe an offensive check too, resists icicle crash with gale wings roost, dosent mind knock off + sneasel isn't going to enjoy acrobatics and will'o y, sd fletch (max attack) is also a good offensive check since acro kills with a small bit of prior damage but defensively it certainly works too
Sun Abusers:
  • imo jumpluff should be removed. With 110 speed Chlorophyll isn't overall that useful. Faces stiff competition on a spot on a sun team as there's usually better abusers agreed
  • Vileplume? eh, I think offensive plume is pretty bad on its own and even so effect spore is still the best ability imo
  • Leafeon? y
  • Fire types (Pyroar, Magmortar) ? I see what you're going with here, but what I'm aiming to put in those sections are mons which are directly abusing sun because of their ability (all of the ones there now have chlorophyll and the rain abusers have swift swim). However, sun teams from what I understand generally have some free slots so I could see those fitting, I'll add them.
Fighting-type Checks:
  • Rotom-Fan, high bulk, not weak to knock off and has flying stab y
  • Vivillon (offensive) y, banded sawk's cc can still do like 50% tho lol
Malamar Checks:
  • Nominating Samurott (Megahorn=ded malamar) y
  • Vivillon :3 y
Replies in bold, thanks for the suggestions.
Note to everyone who wants to nom stuff, from now on I'm going to keep everything in the compendium only C rank and above so it doesn't get too cluttered.

Fire-type checks

I would suggest Poliwrath, Floatzel and Barbaracle as offensive fire type checks and Shelgon and Zweilous as defensive checks.

Taunt User/Stallbreaker

Floatzel and Weezing

Hazard Control

Avalugg

Fighting-Type Checks

Archeops, Articuno, Exeggutor and Swellow as offensive checks.

Psychic-Type Checks

Haunter and Pinsir

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
Fire-type checks

I would suggest Poliwrath, Floatzel and Barbaracle as offensive fire type checks and Shelgon and Zweilous as defensive checks.

Taunt User/Stallbreaker

Floatzel and Weezing

Hazard Control

Avalugg

Fighting-Type Checks

Archeops, Articuno, Exeggutor and Swellow as offensive checks.

Psychic-Type Checks

Haunter and Pinsir
Agree with these and Pyroar should be in taunt users too, can't believe that went untouched for ages.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with some of Brick Small's list (mostly the 'blank-type checks' part). Like for example I really don't like the idea of adding Haunter or Pinsir to Psychic checks just because they can hit it super effectively, because neither can actually switch in, so you're never going to be adding either of those when you specifically need a good Psychic-type check (even an offensive one). Generally when I'm looking for 'checks' in teambuilding I'm looking for something that can at least switch in once, since otherwise it's just a revenge killer rather than a direct check. Now don't get me wrong, revenge killing is a fine way to deal with threats in real battle scenarios, but when I'm looking for SPECIFIC checks in teambuilding (which I assume is what this thread is trying to give) I'm looking for something more than just that.

So yeah I don't think Haunter or Pinsir should be added personally, and going off of that I don't agree with Archeops / Cuno / Swellow as Fighting checks either (although Eggy is sorta ok I guess since LumRest can take hits somewhat well). Don't agree with Poliwrath or Barbaracle either since they can't switch into any non-Choiced Fire attacks without just dying next turn to a coverage move, so they're not really checks either. The rest are alright though

And I guess in a similar boat I don't like Mawile being in offensive normal checks or Rhydon in offensive Fire checks either. Mawile isn't a switchin to any Normal-type since all it can do is Sucker Punch and die to a coverage move. Offensive Rhydon's also a pretty bad Fire check for similar reasons as Barbaracle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)