ORAS OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY AND ALL CURRENT WRITERS MUST READ

Would you guys consider Emboar, and to a lesser extent, Serperior, to get OU analyses? Serperior and Emboar were just treated to an official release of their hidden abilities - Contrary and Reckless, respectively. Serperior still isn't amazing with Contrary, but it does allow it to serve as a decent check to Mega Slowbro, Rotom-W, Mega Swampert, Mega Diancie, and Hippowdon. With a Choice Scarf, it can become pretty scary, able to pick off Greninja with Leaf Storm and boost of of it. Emboar is a lot better-sounding, though, as it has the right movepool to utilize Reckless. Choice Band 252+ Reckless-boosted Flare Blitz annihilates lots of stuff. I'll run some calcs below.

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 238-282 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 415-489 (111.5 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 229-271 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, Emboar's damage output is incredible. Now, don't get me wrong - these are by no means top-tier mons. B rank at most on the ORAS OU viability rankings, imo. They are by no means fantastic, but they do deserve to be considered.
They're not released so even if they were valid for OU analyses they still can't be done due to them not exactly existing

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Serperior will most likely receive an analysis. Emboar most likely will not because getting a little more powerful doesn't fix its biggest issues, which are being slow and having issues with a large amount of common Pokemon.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think of Gourgeist-XL? I think it's a pretty good physical wall, thanks to its ability to counter Mega Metagross mainly. It also beats stuff like Excadrill, Azumarill, Swampert, Scizor, Mega Lopunny, and non-Knock Off Diggersby.

Why I think it's better than it was earlier, when it was rejected, is because a) Mega Metagross exists, b) Mega Swampert exists, and c) it has recovery better than Leech Seed now.

If it gets approved I'd love to take it.

Last edited:
Personally, I always disliked the common notion that Gourgeist-XL was outclassed by its Small variant. I found the former's significantly greater bulk on both sides and good bit more physical power to be more than enough to let it stand out, and the extra bulk was especially apparent when you consider the fact that Gourgeist-S would usually run a lot of Speed investment over Defense (i.e. Life Orb Excadrill usually 2HKOs the onsite Gourgeist-S set, whereas it hardly has any chance to even 3HKO 252/252+ Gourgeist-XL). I remember testing Gourgeist-XL back in the XY metagame on an old stall team, and while I did eventually replace it with Chesnaught, it actually performed quite nicely as a physical tank during the time that I used it. And then, like you mentioned, it does have a few more things in ORAS that help it stand out a little more. I would definitely support a Gourgeist-XL analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)