Resource ORAS OU Metagame Discussion

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Iirc Haze+reliable recovery is Milotic's niche and beyond that it's basically Suicune lite and isn't really "bad" so much as outclassed, so if you need a hazer run that. Haze Quag also does a pretty good job of stopping everything on these types of teams and stops every power boister short of multiple speed-boosted Espeon or Xatu and those which can OHKO unboosted due to its ability to ignore power boosters while resetting their stats.

Actually, +1 Speed Espeon with Calm Mind and Stored Power is incredibly threatening. It is the only reason it's used on BP.
ok but are we not stretching by saying that a 4 turn strategy (turn 1 scoli-tect, turn 2 scoli-pass, turn 3 espeon calm mind, turn 4 espeon +1 stored power) that ultimately is beaten by a lot of steels is OP? and if someone has let more than that happen (say +3 espeon, for example), then that's just their fault for letting a mon get 4 boosts, same as any other setup-mon.

Please familiarize yourselves with BP dudes. One of Infernal's posts in the OLT discussion thread. Specifically:
used by Confide, Googly, and Floppy - Although they were also seen using a few other squads, these three qualifiers were some of the main players to use BP during the cycle. This team appears to be the main BP squad running around and is centered around using Scolipede to pass as many boosts as possible to the appropriate member. Like this replay shows, some variants are even purposefully using Female on Scolipede with Attract to potentially immobilize foes and gain free turns. The receivers are all scary after being passed 1. speed boosts, and 2. a higher chance to score critical hits assuming Scolipede has activated its berry. Espeon is the staple, abusing boosts with Stored Power and possessing Magic Bounce to stop any status or phazing attempts in their tracks. Mega Hera and Manaphy are two of the most potent offensive threats in the tier, mainly held back by their speed. Being passed speed boosts by Scolipede fixes this to an extent and makes them all the more dangerous. Replays can be found by searching 'LT4Q Floppy' and 'LT4P Googly' here.
It's not just Espeon when you've got shit like Mega Heracross and Manaphy that can also get boosts passed to them.

Norne people are qualifying for OLT with BP so it's not a low ladder gimmick. And the Goth ban had nothing to do with BP.

Last edited:
ok but are we not stretching by saying that a 4 turn strategy (turn 1 scoli-tect, turn 2 scoli-pass, turn 3 espeon calm mind, turn 4 espeon +1 stored power) that ultimately is beaten by a lot of steels is OP? and if someone has let more than that happen (say +3 espeon, for example), then that's just their fault for letting a mon get 4 boosts, same as any other setup-mon.
Okay, so you bring in your steel expecting Espeon to come in... I just baton pass my speed/sub into like a Mega Heracross or Manaphy and now what? You sack multiple mons to stop the thing brought in because your prediction was wrong. Now Scolipede comes out again; you've sacked your Espeon answer (and if not, you've sacked like 3 mons) and Espeon can now sweep. Baton Pass + Speed Boost is broken, always has been, always will be

Edit: Ninjaed

Please familiarize yourselves with BP dudes. One of Infernal's posts in the OLT discussion thread. Specifically:
It's not just Espeon when you've got shit like Mega Heracross and Manaphy that can also get boosts passed to them.
OK, now that things aren't in a vacuum I can see this thing working as a pseudo permanent double dance.

But just listing Espeon on a vacuum is a big stretch.

Norne people are qualifying for OLT with BP so it's not a low ladder gimmick. And the Goth ban had nothing to do with BP.
Before BP and gothitrap ban both could be used to remove anything threatening the chain, this is why I listed it.

But yes I'm aware they where exclusive of each other, all I'm saying is that some CB pokemon have a really good match up vs most of Scolipede pass chains provided the double switch.

Im not undermining this thing.

Last edited:
Okay, so you bring in your steel expecting Espeon to come in... I just baton pass my speed/sub into like a Mega Heracross or Manaphy and now what? You sack multiple mons to stop the thing brought in because your prediction was wrong. Now Scolipede comes out again; you've sacked your Espeon answer (and if not, you've sacked like 3 mons) and Espeon can now sweep. Baton Pass + Speed Boost is broken, always has been, always will be

Edit: Ninjaed
Incorrect. The discussion was about espeon being the answer to roar phazing, so if it's not espeon that came out, whatever you switched into just got roared. the steel was in response to espeon, not anticipation.

I have a lot of problems against SD Bisharp, can anyone list Counters(with the moveset) for it.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Thx in advance!

Quagsire is the best Bisharp counter in the game in my opinion.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

There are more, Hippowdon is one for example.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 153-183 (36.4 - 43.5%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 308-363 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not to mention if Hippo already took 1 Knock off, the second one will obviously do even less.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

The 112 Spdef is to counter Mega mane, but if you're really that scared of Bisharp you can run Max HP max def Impish.

There are a lot of checks to Bisharp Mega Lopunny,Mega Heracross,Keldeo(can also be used as a counter with the RestTalk set),Tyranitar,etc. Basically anything that's faster and resists Sucker Punch.

Hope I helped! :]

Quagsire is the best Bisharp counter in the game in my opinion.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

There are more, Hippowdon is one for example.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 153-183 (36.4 - 43.5%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 308-363 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not to mention if Hippo already took 1 Knock off, the second one will obviously do even less.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

The 112 Spdef is to counter Mega mane, but if you're really that scared of Bisharp you can run Max HP max def Impish.

There are a lot of checks to Bisharp Mega Lopunny,Mega Heracross,Keldeo(can also be used as a counter with the RestTalk set),Tyranitar,etc. Basically anything that's faster and resists Sucker Punch.

Hope I helped! :]
I agree that Quagsire is a counter but Hippo I think is more of a Check

Physically defensive Infernape is pretty much the one true counter that doesn't get destroyed 30% of the time by Iron Head if the Bisharp user feels lucky and unlike Quagsire it can actually take on other top tier threats such as Weavile and Scizor. Not the greatest mon in the metagame overall, but good at handling certain Steel and Dark types. Also Grass Knot Bish destroys Quag Stall

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bisharp is one of the Pokemon that if you are looking for "counters" you will have a really hard time trying to find them cause extremely powerful knock off means it can easily wear down its own checks and extremely powerful priority means it just impossible to counter in a practical sense, only quagsire really comes to mind in terms of counters (and possibly extremely phys def variants of mega scizor with superpower but thats uncommon and potentially suboptimal) so yeah.

There are good checks tho:

Keldeo, Breloom thanks to Mach Punch, Rocky Helmet Garchomp, Hippowdon, Terrakion is a shaky check due to iron head but a check nonetheless, Hydreigon is a good one that has seen a rise in popularity lately, Mega Diancie is also a good check, Mega Lopunny.

Basically dark resists and phys def mons not weak to steel. Only stall has the luxury of having guaranteed Bisharp switch-ins so yeah, play around it.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion also exists if you wanna rock that way. Aside from Quag it's easily the best hard counter to Bisharp in the game (I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that Cobalion is worse than literally anything in C+ downward and it is actively better than almost half of B-, so idk why it's ranked as low as it is but yeah trust me when I say it's the best hard counter on BO/balance).

Resttalk Keldeo is probably the most consistent bisharp check outside of its cuz Cobalion that also has decent offensive pressure, although sometimes the sleep talk rolls screw you over. If you want you can run 252 hp 252 def to become a counter but that spread is super niche and you lose out on power.

e @ below posts: i did say niche but it's still viable on certain teams and also talonflame isn't switching in on a scald. It's not the best mon but I thought it worth a mention. The max defense spread is more of a joke just to show it can technically counter it. When I said most consistent (and like i said resttalk screws you sometimes) I meant as a mon that still has some offensive firepower unlike quag or defensive nape, but still I do concede it's been awhile since I've used it and the rise of Tang and Amoong hurt it a lot.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quagsire, Cobalion, and Defensive Infernape are by far the most consistent Bisharp checks in the tier and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Restalk Keld is insanely unreliable because it can get screwed over by restalk roles, Hippo cant check +2 Bisharp if it gets flinched once by Iron Head, and everything else is pretty much a check.

I would also argue that Mega Gyarados is one of the best Bisharp checks in the tier. Even though it's intimidate activates Bisharp's defiant and it has a stealth rock weakness before mega evolving, Bisharp can't even OHKO it at +3 with stealth rock on the field.

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 209-247 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 209-247 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Meanwhile, an Earthquake from a jolly Gyarados can OHKO Bisharp more than 80 percent of the time after stealth rock, and it's standard set always lets it outspeed Bisharp. Adamant Gyarados will always OHKO Bisharp, even without stealth rock.

Jolly: 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 248-292 (91.5 - 107.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Adamant: 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 272-322 (100.3 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chesnaught is also an excellent Bisharp check, and I consider it to be on the level of Infernape as a Bisharp counter. An uninvested Drain Punch can always OHKO Bisharp and Bisharp has to be at +4 to have a chance to OHKO Chesnaught after rocks.
+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 341-402 (89.7 - 105.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Chesnaught also has neat tools like spiky shield to rack up chip damage on Bisharp, roar if you wnat to use it as a phazer, and it has recovery options such as leech seed and synthesis. Even though Chesnaught's slower than infernape and cobalion, it can tank hits better than Infernape can and it's reliable recovery makes it a more consistant check than Cobalion, who I found can get worn down pretty easily.

I can't believe how baton pass team got so much usage and attention. This teams is so bad!

It doesn't have solid psychic resist, or dragon, or fairy. Or ghost. Like it's beaten by so much... People put attract on scolipede to save their days but still it doesn't cover enough. I give you example how to beat it.

SubHera and Sub Gardevoir. Of course even normal form of these two beat this kind of team very hard because Scolipede is pretty much forced to protect and you can safely put your sub on it. At this point you have so much advantage over BP team.

and others.... JUST KEEP SAPMING MOVE THAT THEY DON'T RESIST. If you click zen hedbutt/dragon claw/psychic/etc. every turn they can't get free sub and pass it and their attacker is seriously weaken. Especialy something like SD chomp, or Medi can hurt them a lot. Just don't give them free turns.

Taunt them before they can do anything. Or t-wave them, or encore.

Or set up along side them, with sub.

They don't deal well with any offensive steel types... Basically this team is one big gimmick, praying that you will get your opponent gender right and shout down them with attract.

Make all your Pokemon female. I Unfortunatly never got up to high ladder and faced bp there ( I faced couple times at 1500 Elo ) but for some reason people are using female Scolipede.

Martin

Make all your Pokemon female. I Unfortunatly never got up to high ladder and faced bp there ( I faced couple times at 1500 Elo ) but for some reason people are using female Scolipede.
It's cause there are more forced males than there are forced females, and all the notable forced females are used as setup bait by either Scolipede or it's teammates anyway.

Also, as someone who's played at least 200 games using Scolipass, out of that list of "stops" only three of them actually work consistently in practice.

Noone in their right mind lets you set up alongside Scolipede with something that is naturally faster than it if it's at +0, and if it gets a sub up on said setup the Scoli user wins anyway as soon as they successfully BP away a sub vs. Dragonite or if they get 2 boosts ahead of it vs. anything else, and the post seems to assume that nothing can function without BP boosts if they absolutely need to which is most certainly not the case. It also neglects other variants of BP existing and the fact that Megahorn variants of these teams also exist, and anything that's a recipient is gonna be fat enough to take a hit from these unresisted attacks anyway (assuming you can't get a sub up prior) so you aren't realistically winning with that method. All of those Taunt users barring Thundy (virtually nonexistent) aren't realistically getting a Taunt off vs. Scolipede 'cause a) noone in their right mind switches Scolipede in on a Pokémon with Taunt if it needs to pass more than one boost (and if it's not been revealed yet it just gets scouted with tect anyway), and b) they are all slower than 28+ Scolipede at +1 aside from Talonflame who isn't using fucking Taunt unless sub is already up (in which case it's not beating Scoli anyway 'cause it just tects and then brings in a recipient for free). Only Gardevoir (loses to MMeta teams), MHera and taunt fucking Thundy are consistent stops to this team, as all the others lose to one thing or another on the many (and I really mean many) different variants of the archetype.

It's cause there are more forced males than there are forced females, and all the notable forced females are used as setup bait by either Scolipede or it's teammates anyway.

Also, as someone who's played at least 200 games using Scolipass, out of that list of "stops" only three of them actually work consistently in practice.

Noone in their right mind lets you set up alongside Scolipede with something that is naturally faster than it if it's at +0, and if it gets a sub up on said setup the Scoli user wins anyway as soon as they successfully BP away a sub vs. Dragonite or if they get 2 boosts ahead of it vs. anything else, and the post seems to assume that nothing can function without BP boosts if they absolutely need to which is most certainly not the case. It also neglects other variants of BP existing and the fact that Megahorn variants of these teams also exist, and anything that's a recipient is gonna be fat enough to take a hit from these unresisted attacks anyway (assuming you can't get a sub up prior) so you aren't realistically winning with that method. All of those Taunt users barring Thundy (virtually nonexistent) aren't realistically getting a Taunt off vs. Scolipede 'cause a) noone in their right mind switches Scolipede in on a Pokémon with Taunt if it needs to pass more than one boost (and if it's not been revealed yet it just gets scouted with tect anyway), and b) they are all slower than 28+ Scolipede at +1 aside from Talonflame who isn't using fucking Taunt unless sub is already up (in which case it's not beating Scoli anyway 'cause it just tects and then brings in a recipient for free). Only Gardevoir (loses to MMeta teams), MHera and taunt fucking Thundy are consistent stops to this team, as all the others lose to one thing or another on the many (and I really mean many) different variants of the archetype.
I'm leading Mega Zam and geting boosts laong side you. Wht's your counterplay?

I'm leading talon. You can't sub, you can't pass because priority BB. What's your counterplay?

I'm leading LO Zam and spaming Psychic. You can't pass sub, everything gets over half HP on swith maybe beside manaphy which don't even always 2HKO. What about offensive chomp, which also forces break of the sub? Or if id SD on protect? Even Max HP Heracross takes ton from +2 dragon claw.

Of coures none of this mon is autowin but good lead against BP team is half of success and using one of these is definitely something worth attention

Also you assume perfect prediction on taunt etc. but it's much more like 50/50.

Martin

I'm leading Mega Zam and geting boosts laong side you. Wht's your counterplay?

I'm leading talon. You can't sub, you can't pass because priority BB. What's your counterplay?

I'm leading LO Zam and spaming Psychic. You can't pass sub, everything gets over half HP on swith maybe beside manaphy which don't even always 2HKO. What about offensive chomp, which also forces break of the sub? Or if id SD on protect? Even Max HP Heracross takes ton from +2 dragon claw.

Of coures none of this mon is autowin but good lead against BP team is half of success and using one of these is definitely something worth attention

You lead Talon I hard switch to Thundurus. You lead Zam I make a strategic sac. Of course this is assuming that you lead Scolipede as opposed to immediately leading off with a breaker that can beat these things. The way the style works is that it creates a scenario where you can have Scoli safely sub up. VS Hera and Gardevoir it is harder, and at the end of the day it is matchup based (that's the entire draw of the style, in that it can often win or lose a game on team preview similarly to wonder trio, and it wins more times than it loses), I'll give you that, but Talon and Zam simply are not consistent stops to this at all. The taunt 50:50s stop being 50:50s as soon as you get +1 speed because if you sub as they come in you protect and then go to something else to eat the taunt, whereas if you don't it is almost always a better play to go to what you want to bring. If it's offensive chomp you can literally go to Hera with little-to-no repercussions 'cause you live a +0 Fire Fang and OHKO or significantly cripple back with Pin Missile. The Scoli player is at an advantage in the setup war scenario because it only needs to win one 50:50 whereas the opponent needs to win multiple in a row (including the one on the turn Scolipede uses BP) to not lose to whatever comes out, and this is completely huge. You don't need "perfect prediction" because Scolipede is almost completely autopilot, and in the small number of prediction cases around 90% of them can be rendered in favor of the Scoli player by speed boosts.

I've played all of these matchups multiple times and they are managable; the reason why "specific prep" for BP is so hard is because most stops are not consistent, and that is all that I wanted to highlight in my post rather than acting like it can't be beaten by these things. They make it a little harder, I'll give you that much, but they are made significantly more managable by the nature of the style to the point that consistent isn't the kind of word that I'd attatch to the vast majority of those Pokémon.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm leading Mega Zam and geting boosts along side you. Wht's your counterplay?

If you lead megazam, it's very hard to sack tankchomp, that is really only used for msciz and birds then go back into scoli, get a speed boost and revenge zam with megahorn. If you see a talon, you almost always lead with tankchomp to get up rocks to pressure it, offensive chomp is funny because you can just bp into mhera and ohko, go into mana and beam, or just sack ur tankchomp for helmet recoil. The difference is that certain offensive boosters have to win multiple 50/50s (sd on tect/sub) whereas scoli really only has to win the one on the bp, assuming that you won the 50/50 to break the sub lol. Obviously these mons have decent MUs vs the team, but it's not even close to an autowin lol.

Edit: Ninja'd by Martin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)