Other ORAS OU Role Compendium V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Haunter

OP adapted from Aerow

Pictures belong to respective owners

Oras OU Role Compendium V2
(now with even more roles!)

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role. Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, recommend it in your post.

For those who don't understand what all the terminology means, like Wallbreaker and Pivot: tinyurl.com/qzb9k99

Click on a Pokemon to go to its analysis! (coming soon)​

Mega Pokemon:

Wallbreakers:

Stallbreakers:

Pivots:

Defensive:

Offensive:

Spikes/Toxic Spike Users:

Stealth Rock Users:

Suicide Leads:

Hazard Removal:

Choice Scarf Users:

Priority:

Trappers (Pursuit, Magnet Pull, etc.):

(magma storm)

Setup Sweepers/Passers:

Swords Dance:

Dragon Dance:

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Rock Polish / Agility:

Other Set Up:

Baton pass:

For those wondering, the difference between this compendium and the old one is that now because I have some more space I can add any roles your hearts desire. Go wild.

Last edited:
==CHECKS AND COUNTERS==

Keldeo checks:

Mega Metagross counters checks:

Landorus-T checks: (these are able to check both scarf and defensive sets, some lose to double dance)

Mega Sableye checks:

Flying-Type Checks:

Dragon-Type Checks:

Mega Lopunny checks:

Gengar checks:
(av)

Landorus-I checks:

Revenge Killers and/or Late Game Cleaners:

==WEATHER==

Weather Inducers:

Rain abusers:

Sand abusers:

Last edited:
Mega Absol should be added to MSableye checks, one of the few physical attackers that can set up on it and terrorize the stall team behind it.

Megallade for wallbreakers, at +2 only MSableye, Megabro, and Unaware Clef can comfortably take a hit.

I think I misinterpreted wallbreakers, sorry.

Last edited:
This looks good so far. Are you planning on arranging each section in an approximate order of viability?

As for additions, Calm Mind Landorus is definitely worth including under the wallbreaker category. Staraptor is also a good Choice Scarf user. Celebi could be added to the Stealth Rock setters, and possibly Bisharp. Sharpedo could be added to the other set up because of Speed Boost. Gliscor could be added to Swords Dance users, and Celebi to Nasty Plot users. Chansey probably needs to be included under defensive pivots, as there's no Walls category.

You need a section for clerics/wishpassers. Basically pokemon who support the team through moves such as wish, heal bell and healing wish. The shrotlist can include full on clerics like Clefable, Sylveon. Chansey, Blissey, Healing wishers like Latias, Jirachi, Lopunny, Diancie or even just Pure wish passers like alomolola. Having a shortlist would be good for newer players looking for a healer so they dont end up stuck with junk like florges or Mega Audino. Heck you could even have Niche cleric section for stuff like Vaporeon (Cleric who can get a garanteed 2hko SPDEF gliscor after rocks with 24evs in SPATK using scald as well as hard walling mono water attackers where as alo cant.) tho this would optional given the obvious preference towards ranked stuff.

Regardless tho good resource :)

Last edited:
You should probably add Mega Glalie, Mega Gallade, Mega Charizard X (although not a 'pure' wallbreaker like it's Y counterpart), & maybe Pangoro in the wallbreakers section. Also, a Support role should be added, with which you should put Whimsicott, Clefable, Chansey, Alomomola, Tyranitar, Politoed, Latias, Wobbuffet, & Hippowdon in. Regular Diancie should be added to Stealth Rock user section, add Mega Metagross to Trappers (Pursuit), add Hydreigon to Choice Scarf users and to Wallbreakers (Life Orb), Mega Beedrill to offensive pivots (not sure if just spamming U-turn would let it slide into offensive pivots for that reason), and Thundurus should possibly be added to Wallbreakers for it's mixed Defiant set, but I'm not too sure. A Glue section for things like Mega Venusaur and Landorus-T should be added. Physical and Special Wall sections need to be added for stuff like Skarmory & Chansey. A Tank section would be nice too. Hone Claws + Roost Mega Aerodactyl should probably be added to the Other Setup Sweepers section. Jirachi is a decent scarf user so that should be added there too. A Swift Swimmer/Sand Rush user section should happen as well.

Hope I helped. By the way, you're doing a good job so far. :]

Edit: An Anti-Offense section would be cool.

2nd Edit: Oh and add Gothitelle to Wallbreakers. ^_^

3rd Edit, lol: A section for Mega Lopunny checks needs to be added since it's currently sitting alongside the current big three meta-defining threats in S Rank right now.

Last edited:
Add Tentacruel in Keldeo's check and add M-Altaria in Stallbreaker like I said in old thread because of the MonoDDattacker set with Heal bell/Refresh who can set up easily on stall like Chansey , Rotom-W , M-Sableye , Slowbro , Chesnaught , Mandibuzz , Gliscor , Zapdos , Empoleon , Klefki , Vaporeon , Alomomola , so like every stall team without Skarm/Heatran/Ferro or when they are gone.

I agree for a cleric/wishpasser section and add Alomomola and Chesnaught as a Lando check but Lopunny's check section seems like too much , this 'mon doesn't really mean the meta actually , but I would like to add inside Slowbro (and Mega) Landorus , Hippowdown , Metagross , Altaria , Talonflame , Dragonite, Alomomola , Skarmory and Chesnaught.

Last edited:
You could probably add Gliscor to SR users as it is quite a common set; apart from that:
  • Stallbreaker Mew should probably be listed under stallbreakers.
  • Flygon still has a niche as a defogger resistant to SR and immune to other hazards, so that should probably be listed under Hazard Removal.
  • M-Metagross uses BP quite often, it should be added to the Priority users section too.
  • Might wanna add RP TTar to the RP/Agility section.
  • There are quite a few Lando-T checks in this week's Victim of the Week thread (Alomomola, Mega Scizor etc.) that should also be listed.
  • Don't know if you want to do this, but the Sub-Salac BD Chesnaught might be worth listing under 'Other Setup' :P
  • Azelf is one of the most common SR users on HO, so that should probably go under SR.
  • Specs Sylveon is one of the best wallbreakers in the current meta, so you might want to put that under the Wallbreaker section.
Cheers for making and maintaining the thread! Keep up the good work! :]

Last edited:
This looks good so far. Are you planning on arranging each section in an approximate order of viability?
Nah, that would be unnecessary. The sections are just in random order whilst the pokemon themselves are alphabetical and i'm keeping it that way. Also I added all of your suggestions except sharpedo cause it isn't really a setup sweeper, more of a cleaner.

Now that i think about it, a cleaner/late game sweeper section would be quite nice. Might add one.

You should probably add Mega Glalie, Mega Gallade, Mega Charizard X (although not a 'pure' wallbreaker like it's Y counterpart), & maybe Pangoro in the wallbreakers section. Also, a Support role should be added, with which you should put Whimsicott, Clefable, Chansey, Alomomola, Tyranitar, Politoed, Latias, Wobbuffet, & Hippowdon in. Regular Diancie should be added to Stealth Rock user section, add Mega Metagross to Trappers (Pursuit), add Hydreigon to Choice Scarf users and to Wallbreakers (Life Orb), Mega Beedrill to offensive pivots (not sure if just spamming U-turn would let it slide into offensive pivots for that reason), and Thundurus should possibly be added to Wallbreakers for it's mixed Defiant set, but I'm not too sure. A Glue section for things like Mega Venusaur and Landorus-T should be added. Physical and Special Wall sections need to be added for stuff like Skarmory & Chansey. A Tank section would be nice too. Hone Claws + Roost Mega Aerodactyl should probably be added to the Other Setup Sweepers section. Jirachi is a decent scarf user so that should be added there too. A Swift Swimmer/Sand Rush user section should happen as well.

Hope I helped. By the way, you're doing a good job so far. :]

Edit: An Anti-Offense section would be cool.

2nd Edit: Oh and add Gothitelle to Wallbreakers. ^_^

3rd Edit, lol: A section for Mega Lopunny checks needs to be added since it's currently sitting alongside the current big three meta-defining threats in S Rank right now.
K, I'll work on most of your suggestions a bit later. Dont count on some of these being added though, I'm still undecided about having a wall section, support section, etc. I'm not having a mega lopunny checks section either, its not really something you have to prepare for like the other pokemon are. Either way, thanks n_n

Mega Absol should be added to MSableye checks, one of the few physical attackers that can set up on it and terrorize the stall team behind it.

Megallade for wallbreakers, at +2 only MSableye, Megabro, and Unaware Clef can comfortably take a hit.

I think I misinterpreted wallbreakers, sorry.
Mega Audino should be removed from the OP as it is currently considered unviable in the OU Metagame.
Add Tentacruel in Keldeo's check and add M-Alt in Stallbreaker like I said in old thread because of the MonoDDattacker set with Heal bell/Refresh who can set up easily on stall like Chansey , Rotom-W , M-Sableye , Slowbro , Chesnaught , Mandibuzz , Gliscor , Zapdos , Empoleon , Klefki , Vaporeon , Alomomola , so like every stall team without Skarm/Heatran/Ferro or when they are gone.

I agree for a cleric/wishpasser section and add Alomomola and Chesnaught as a Lando check but Lopunny's check section seems like too much , this 'mon doesn't really mean the meta actually , but I would like to add inside Slowbro (and Mega) Landorus , Hippowdown , Metagross , Altaria , Talonflame , Dragonite, Alomomola , Skarmory and Chesnaught.
done, done and done.

You might want to separate Spikes and Toxic Spikes in to two seperate lists, and simply list the same Pokemon under both if it learns the two. Looking good otherwise!

It might also be a good idea to include a weather section, with three sub-sections for sun/rain/sand abuse (leaving out hail as it's not really OU viable, in addition to there being a lack of Pokemon that benefit from it).

It would look something like this;

Weather inducers;
-Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Minetales, Politoed, Charizard-Y, Azelf, Clefable, Whimsicott, Cresselia...

Rain abusers;
-Manaphy, Swampert-M, Thundurus, Azumarill, Keldeo, Kingdra, Heliolisk, Toxicroak, Omastar, Kabutops...

Sun abusers;
-Charizard-X/Y, Diancie-M, Heatran, Venusaur-M, Victini, Camerupt, Entei, Volcarona, Heliolisk...

Sand abusers;
-Tyranitar, Landorus-I/T, Excadrill, Diancie-M, Jirachi, Hippowdown, Gastrodon, Garchomp...

I'm sure tere are more.

Last edited:
Haxorus to Swords Dance and Dragon Dance
Manaphy to wallbreakers/stallbreakers
Entei, Infernape, Toxicroak and Kabutops to priority. Possibly Dugtrio as well since it gets Sucker Punch. Mega Gallade gets Shadow Sneak but it's not usually very useful.
Entei to wallbreakers
Venusaur to other setup (it gets Growth)
Toxicroak to Swords Dance
Scizor and Mega Metagross are viable Pursuit trappers
I don't know if they're viable enough to mention but Forretress and Cloyster both get Spikes, Tspikes and Rapid Spin. Forretress also gets Volt Switch, which makes it something of a pivot, as well as Stealth Rock.
Crobat has a stallbreaker set as does Mew.
Skarmory and Mandibuzz to Mega Metagross checks
Mandibuzz to Landorus-T checks
Politoed to Mega Sableye checks thanks to Perish Song

You might want to add a Mega Diancie checks section as it is very threatening. Scizor/Mega and Mega Metagross can go on this list.

M-Diancie is not really that good (at least , he is not even OU) , i don't think a section Mega Diancie's check would be usefull, if we should add one , that would be Lopunny.

M-Diancie is not really that good (at least , he is not even OU) , i don't think a section Mega Diancie's check would be usefull, if we should add one , that would be Lopunny.
I agree Lopunny is worth an add but I think you're really underestimating Mega Diancie. It has amazing mixed attacking stats and coverage to match, a good speed tier and a great ability that, among other things, keeps it from being checked by priority Thunder Wave. Thanks to Rock Polish, it can't even be reliably revenged by scarfers. All it needs is a turn to Mega Evolve and it becomes a huge threat.

Last edited:
I know Diancie is good , I mean she is not really good to have her own section , they are so much stuff who are way better than Diancie in OU who don't have section like the DDancer such as Altaria , ZardX , Gyara and stuff like Clefable , Azumarill , Bisharp , Thundurus , Scizor.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Garchomp and Jirachi to Choice Scarf Users
Entei, Mega Lopunny and Dugtrio to Priority

I would definitely add a cleaner section, because that is a major role. Also, add Entei to priority because it gets Extremespeed and can really threaten opposing teams with Sacred Fire once it's in.

is there a reason Mew isn't in the stallbreaker section?

EDIT: you should probably add trappers like Goth and Mag too

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Please do not put Crobat or Forretress anywhere on this list. They're terrible mons in the OU metagame. In regards to creating sections for certain threats just go off of S rank. Creating a section for everything that people feel is a threat under S will just waste too much space and is redundant. Don't put Venusaur under other. Nobody uses Growth on a consistent basis to warrant it and it's a gimmicky option on every single variant of it, including the very specific sun offense with Char-Y. Clefable is not a weather inducer as someone mentioned above among many others. Stick with either auto setters like Politoed and maybe a few others like Thundurus and Azelf. In regards to setters just list them as weather setters since hail is non existent and Sun is technically only used on Char-Y to begin with. All in all Wolfenstein you know what you're doing so just avoid the very gimmicky options and stuff that doesn't make sense.

Pursuit Banded Scizor is a trapper.
Mega gallade can be considered a wallbreaker.
There's that one stallbreaker talonflame set.
Choiced goth with rest is also a stallbreaker
Does lopunny with fake out count as priority?
I might add more to this post so yeah.

Celebi should probably also be in the Nasty Plot section.. Nasty Pass set can be quite easy to pull off with its bulk and the synergy it has with several receivers (Mega Houndoom, Keldeo, Mega-Diancie)

Also the Stallbreakers section is looking quite empty at the moment. Gengar, Talonflame, Mew, are all are fairly common and effective stallbreakers who deserve a mention.

Great job on the list so far!

Is it worth it to add separate sections for Band/Specs users, or is it already implied that most Scarf users can run Band/Specs as an alternative?

Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Mega Garchomp under SD users
  • Quagsire under Mega Metagross checks
  • Gyarados under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Gardevoir under Mega Sableye checks
  • Ferrothorn under Landorus-T checks
  • Rhyperior under Dragon-type checks (best counter to Zard X)
  • Toxicroak under priority
  • Toxicroak under Keldeo checks
  • Pangoro under wallbreakers
  • Zygarde under Other Set Up (Coil)
  • Salamence under Choice Scarf users
  • Salamence under Dragon Dance
  • Dragonite under Keldeo checks
  • Latias-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Sceptile-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Glalie under wallbreakers

Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Mega Garchomp under SD users
  • Quagsire under Mega Metagross checks
  • Gyarados under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Gardevoir under Mega Sableye checks
  • Ferrothorn under Landorus-T checks
  • Rhyperior under Dragon-type checks (best counter to Zard X)
  • Toxicroak under priority
  • Toxicroak under Keldeo checks
  • Pangoro under wallbreakers
  • Zygarde under Other Set Up (Coil)
  • Salamence under Choice Scarf users
  • Salamence under Dragon Dance
  • Dragonite under Keldeo checks
  • Latias-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Sceptile-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Glalie under wallbreakers
Isn't Salamence generally outclassed as a Dragon Dancer tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)