Other ORAS OU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Alexwolf
OP adapted from Aerow
Pictures belong to respective owners

Oras OU Role Compendium

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role. Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, recommend it in your post.​

For those who don't understand what all the terminology means, like Wallbreaker and Pivot: tinyurl.com/qzb9k99

Click on a Pokemon to go to its analysis!
Mega Pokemon:

Wallbreakers:

Stallbreakers:

Pivots:

Defensive:

Offensive:

Spikes/Toxic Spike Users:

Rock Users:

Suicide Leads:

Hazard Removal:

Choice Scarf Users:

Priority:

Trappers (Pursuit, Magnet Pull, etc.):

Flying-Type Checks:

Dragon-Type Checks:

Setup Sweepers/Passers:

Swords Dance:

Dragon Dance:

Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:

Rock Polish / Agility:

Other Set Up:

Last edited:
I know it'd be a fucking massive job, but as this is a reference guide perhaps it would be beneficial to make each picture into a link to the Pokémon's analysis, so people using this can immediately understand why, say, Dragalge is a good wallbreaker or why Mega Aerodactyl is a good birdspam check.

I know it'd be a fucking massive job, but as this is a reference guide perhaps it would be beneficial to make each picture into a link to the Pokémon's analysis, so people using this can immediately understand why, say, Dragalge is a good wallbreaker or why Mega Aerodactyl is a good birdspam check.
Yeah, I said I will do that when I have time in the OP... Thanks for the suggestion n_n

I find it hilarious that there's a list just for checking ONE specific Pokemon.
On that note, suggest other things worthy of checking. Right now it's only bird spam and greninja, but suggest other types and pokemon to check.

Approved by Alexwolf
OP adapted from Aerow

Pictures belong to respective owners​

Oras OU Role Compendium

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role.

Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn’t been added to the group, recommend it in your post. Feel free to tell me anything I’ve missed. There’s probably going to be something I left out or just didn’t consider.​

edit: Going to add links to Pokemon analyses on each Pokemon's icons when I have time.​

Mega Pokemon:

Wallbreakers:

Stallbreakers:

Pivots:

Spikes/Toxic Spike Users:

Stealth Rock Users:

Hazard Removal:

Greninja Checks: (most of these are only checks if Greninja lacks a certain move)

Choice Scarf Users:

Priority:

Trappers (Pursuit, Magnet Pull, etc.):

Flying-Type Checks:

Setup Sweepers:

Swords Dance:

Dragon Dance:

Calm Mind:

Quiver Dance:

Nasty Plot:

Rock Polish / Agility:

Other:

Note: This list is of the pokemon that best fit their roles. I know “X Pokemon” gets Stealth Rock, but it’s not going to be in the Stealth Rock group because it is too niche of a role and there are other things that fit the stealth rock role better. Unless you really need “X Pokemon” to use stealth rocks, use another Pokemon from the group.

In short: I can’t put everything that can do “X role” in the “X role” group. It’s only for the best of the best.
This is really good. Great work. Maybe add Manaphy to stallbreakers? :]

How is Mega Latias (or is it Mega Latios?) a stallbreaker?

I would like to see Mew there which is a very popular stallbreaker.

I find it hilarious that there's a list just for checking ONE specific Pokemon.
TBH the lower tiers have a checks section for specfic (non-broken) Pokemon so it's not that wierd.

Would a VoltTurn section be a good idea? Also, I would add Mega Pinsir to the wallbreakers and SD sections.

Great resource we have here. I don't see much more to add, maybe a sleep move users category could fit somewhere but thats w/e.

Gothitelle needs to be in the trapper section, imo, it's so much better than wobbuffet, because it gets rid of stuff faster and takes a bit less prediction.

TBH the lower tiers have a checks section for specfic (non-broken) Pokemon so it's not that wierd.

Would a VoltTurn section be a good idea? Also, I would add Mega Pinsir to the wallbreakers and SD sections.
The pivot section is already kind of a volt-turn section. I don't wan't to clog the post up with everything that learns volt-turn, but hey I'll think about it. Maybe a good volt / u turners section would be nice.
Adding Mega Pinsir.

Gothitelle needs to be in the trapper section, imo, it's so much better than wobbuffet, because it gets rid of stuff faster and takes a bit less prediction.
It's already there, also they kinda do different things so I'm not intent on taking out Wobbu

How is Mega Latias (or is it Mega Latios?) a stallbreaker?

I would like to see Mew there which is a very popular stallbreaker.
Added mew

This is really good. Great work. Maybe add Manaphy to stallbreakers? :]
Thanks, Adding Manaphy

Where is Mega Abomasnow? as it is as good as wallbreaker as camerupt is
It's not on the viability ranks so I wont add it. I would only add it if it was a relevant wallbreaker in OU and had a solid niche, which it doesn't really

Last edited:
I think Rain Offence should be added but I'm not sure how it should be done: Kabutops under setup sweeper and priority or just put it under a new section "Rain".

Nice thread. Very helpful. Cant wait for all the analysis's.

Edit you need a Section for Clerics or Wish Support if such a thing can be added. Things Like chansey, Blissey, Latias, Mega Lopunny, Sylveon, Clefable and Umbreon (Tho no ranked) could all easily fit there.

Last edited:
I think Rain Offence should be added but I'm not sure how it should be done: Kabutops under setup sweeper and priority or just put it under a new section "Rain".
I agree that'd be pretty cool, though where do you draw the line on Pokemon to include on rain teams? MHeracross is often used (for example) but that might be because of roles it's already listed as having as opposed to benefits it gets specifically from Rain. Judgment call perhaps.

Win Conditions is probably *way* too broad, but something on Late-game Cleaners might be nice, since they are sort of their own category, since they're not all setup sweepers and not all setup sweepers are late-game cleaners. After that, I'd agree something that separates VoltTurn from Pivots would be a good idea, since speedy volt-turners aren't always pivots (saving Manectric, who's included because of Intimidate). Drypassing might be something to consider also, though you've already got Sylveon - MLop drypasses or passes subs more than occasionally.

This is a lot of work for one person to do, though. Anything people can help with, in the form of copy-pasteable text? Some sort of formalised description of the roles would be super handy to refer to in the future and would help newbies out a lot, similar to the rank descriptions in the Viability threads. "Stallbreakers are blah blah blah and typically appreciate blaaaaah, used on team type blah"

EDIT: I forgot to mention Dedicated leads :/ there's not a lot of them, and they have become less viable since gen 4, but they *do* exist and it *is* a team role. Shame Lead Mamoswine kind of sucks lately.

Can we add Donphan to the hazard removal list?

Seriously, though, I think Mew should be added to hazard removal. It gets Defog and is not weak to Stealth Rock, which is always a good combo.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, here's a few things I have to point out.
  • Skarmory itself does not break stall, I'd remove that
  • Mew unfortunately cannot break stall anymore since the cornerstone of stall in ORAS is mega sableye which hard stops mew.
  • You could really argue the same about gliscor, as it really cannot to crap to mega sableye.
  • Jirachi is much better as a pivot or revenge killer, unless flinching everything to death counts as stallbreaking.
  • Add clefable to stallbreaking, because it has very few answers on defensive teams and stuff like tentacruel is really easily worn down and clef can run stored power to run through them.
  • Crobat is unviable in OU, please remove that from both sections its in.
  • Roserade is unviable and irrelevant in OU, I'd remove that
  • I'd add a Keldeo checks section, as its really important to have a switch in for that on every team.
  • Probably add a Dragon-type check section, as mega zard x, mega altaria, lati@s, etc are are very threatening and require at least one or two checks.
  • Crawdaunt is a bad dragon dance user, it is much better off using swords dance. There are so many Pokemon that outspeed it even after a DD its kinda sad.
  • Infernape's nasty plot set is really only viable in UU, whereas here in OU it is much better off with a suicide lead or mixed attacker set.
  • Yes to mega garde as a wallbreaker.
  • Rotom-w is an awful choice scarf user, I would never use that over the defensive set becuase the decrease in bulk is really sub optimal.
  • SD Weavile is meh, it really needs 4 attacks.
  • Disagreeing with CM Mega Zam, it also really needs 4 attacks or 3 + (protect / sub / encore)
  • Add mega absol to pursuit trappers, it is a decent user of the move.

• Mew unfortunately cannot break stall anymore since the cornerstone of stall in ORAS is mega sableye which hard stops mew.
  • You could really argue the same about gliscor, as it really cannot to crap to mega sableye.
  • Jirachi is much better as a pivot or revenge killer, unless flinching everything to death counts as stallbreaking.
  • Add clefable to stallbreaking, because it has very few answers on defensive teams and stuff like tentacruel is really easily worn down and clef can run stored power to run through them.
  • I'd add a Keldeo checks section, as its really important to have a switch in for that on every team.
  • Probably add a Dragon-type check section, as mega zard x, mega altaria, lati@s, etc are are very threatening and require at least one or two checks.
  • Crawdaunt is a bad dragon dance user, it is much better off using swords dance. There are so many Pokemon that outspeed it even after a DD its kinda sad.
  • Infernape's nasty plot set is really only viable in UU, whereas here in OU it is much better off with a suicide lead or mixed attacker set.
  • Rotom-w is an awful choice scarf user, I would never use that over the defensive set becuase the decrease in bulk is really sub optimal.
  • Disagreeing with CM Mega Zam, it also really needs 4 attacks or 3 + (protect / sub / encore)
Cool, adding it all and will add the dragon checks when I can

Can we add Donphan to the hazard removal list?

Seriously, though, I think Mew should be added to hazard removal. It gets Defog and is not weak to Stealth Rock, which is always a good combo.
Done

I agree that'd be pretty cool, though where do you draw the line on Pokemon to include on rain teams? MHeracross is often used (for example) but that might be because of roles it's already listed as having as opposed to benefits it gets specifically from Rain. Judgment call perhaps.

Win Conditions is probably *way* too broad, but something on Late-game Cleaners might be nice, since they are sort of their own category, since they're not all setup sweepers and not all setup sweepers are late-game cleaners. After that, I'd agree something that separates VoltTurn from Pivots would be a good idea, since speedy volt-turners aren't always pivots (saving Manectric, who's included because of Intimidate). Drypassing might be something to consider also, though you've already got Sylveon - MLop drypasses or passes subs more than occasionally.

This is a lot of work for one person to do, though. Anything people can help with, in the form of copy-pasteable text? Some sort of formalised description of the roles would be super handy to refer to in the future and would help newbies out a lot, similar to the rank descriptions in the Viability threads. "Stallbreakers are blah blah blah and typically appreciate blaaaaah, used on team type blah"

EDIT: I forgot to mention Dedicated leads :/ there's not a lot of them, and they have become less viable since gen 4, but they *do* exist and it *is* a team role. Shame Lead Mamoswine kind of sucks lately.
I'll work on all of this

Nice thread. Very helpful. Cant wait for all the analysis's.

Edit you need a Section for Clerics or Wish Support if such a thing can be added. Things Like chansey, Blissey, Latias, Mega Lopunny, Sylveon, Clefable and Umbreon (Tho no ranked) could all easily fit there.
Will work on it sometime soon

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The only thing I'm going to disagree with right now from that list is Gliscor because granted it doesn't stall-break M-Sableye itself (it sort of can though with SD added to its arsenal) but it has the ability to stall-break a bunch of other stuff. I'd still keep Gliscor under stall breakers as well as pivot.

It's a lot to look over right now so can't really elaborate further but definitely put Amoonguss under pivots section and definitely put Azumarill under Stallbreaker and Set up Sweepers. Take it out of others cause it provides those two and everything else it's on in terms of utility and Other makes it feel like they're not even useful or threatening. Cloyster is a set up sweeper btw and Manaphy is simply a stallbreaker so no need for them be in others section either.

Edit: Oh and take Togekiss off of hazard removal and put it under stallbreakers. Its best set is the Nasty Plot one and you can literally just flinch defensive cores to death so this has the potential to break stall. The reason for removing off of hazard removal is because it's simply a mediocre Defogger that now lacks one of its best traits that it can provide in the tier and provides too many switch in opportunities for threatening stuff with this set.

Regular Gyarados should be added to the Greninja checks section. The RestTalk SDef set avoids the 2HKO from all of Greninja's moves, including the rare Grass Knot. Thanks to Intimidate, it avoids the 2HKO from Gunk Shot as well. Hazard removal is required of course.

216 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 152-179 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 136-161 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- 63.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Altaria should be added to the pivots section imo. Its unique typing lets it switch in safely to a ton of threats, especially if you invest in its bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)