Other ORAS OU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I'm going to disagree with right now from that list is Gliscor because granted it doesn't stall-break M-Sableye itself (it sort of can though with SD added to its arsenal) but it has the ability to stall-break a bunch of other stuff. I'd still keep Gliscor under stall breakers as well as pivot.

It's a lot to look over right now so can't really elaborate further but definitely put Amoonguss under pivots section and definitely put Azumarill under Stallbreaker and Set up Sweepers. Take it out of others cause it provides those two and everything else it's on in terms of utility and Other makes it feel like they're not even useful or threatening. Cloyster is a set up sweeper btw and Manaphy is simply a stallbreaker so no need for them be in others section either.
Agreed, except the "Other" section is for set up sweepers with other means of setting up, like belly drum, shell smash and tail glow in their case. So I'm not saying other is the useless secion it would just be a waste to make sections just for one pokemon which is why they are all together

Regular Gyarados should be added to the Greninja checks section. The RestTalk SDef set avoids the 2HKO from all of Greninja's moves, including the rare Grass Knot. Thanks to Intimidate, it avoids the 2HKO from Gunk Shot as well. Hazard removal is required of course.

216 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 152-179 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 136-161 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- 63.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Altaria should be added to the pivots section imo. Its unique typing lets it switch in safely to a ton of threats, especially if you invest in its bulk.
Good points, I'll add them
Can we add Rhyperior as a bird check and rocks user?
Already there bro

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd remove Greninja and Victini from the Scarfer section. ScarfNinja was only any use while MegaMence was still here, and Victini is better off with it's stallbreaker set, Sub + PuP, or even a standard LO/Specs/Band attacker.

On that note, add Victini to the Stallbreaker section.

Ferrothorn beats non HP fire greninjas. Specialy defensive Rotom W beats non HP grass greninjas.

also Greninja has his own check list. Just saying.

Here are some changes that I suggest:
  • Mega sceptile should be counted as greninja check, it can easily switch in on hydro pump
  • Thundurus should go under priority, because of prankster t-wave
  • Same thing for sableye and klefki
  • I think keldeo should go under wallbreakers
  • Hippodown for SR users
  • Dragonite under priority (e-speed)
  • Mega Houndoom under set up sweepers nasty plot
  • Ditto under choice scarf users lol
  • Smeargle to spikes/toxic spikes users and SR users
  • Hydreigon to choice scarf users
  • Mega diancie for calm mind set up sweepers
  • amoonguss under pivots section because of regenerator
  • Hawlucha under swords dance set up sweepers
  • Suicune under greninja checks (if no grass knot)
  • Doublade as flying-type checks
  • Gengar as choice scarf user
  • keldeo as CM user
  • Manaphy as CM user
  • Kyurem-black as choice scarf user
  • mega gallade and mega medicham under other set up sweepers (bulk up)
  • zard x under swords dance set up sweeper (SD + tailwind set)
  • Excadrill as SD user (SD sand rush sweeper)
  • kabutops as swords dance user
  • froslass as spikes user
  • Shuckle and azelf as SR users
  • Tornadus as priority user (prankster rain dance and taunt)
  • Gastrodon as greninja check
  • Mega absol as swords dance user
  • landorus-t under rock polish user, and SD user (double dancer lando-t) same thing for terrakion (double dancer terrakion)
yeah sorry if this list was a little (just a little) bit too long :]
and sorry if some of these changes have been made / suggested already
edit: also, is shedninja considered a pivot?

Last edited:
So to update; I added analyses to almost all of the pokemom so you can click them to find out how to use the pokemon. Added the keldeo checks section and dragon type checks section and added most of your suggestions.
I will add all (most) of the suggestions I haven't read yet tomorrow or whenever I can.

Also thanks for that short list husky, I'll add it all :p Shedinja is a pivot, sure, but I wont add it cause it's not on the viability list and no one ever uses it seriously

Yeah, for some reason scizor is there too. Haven't really heard of or seen any agilizor sets, although it would be pretty cool on paper combined with SD.

U forget:

Raikou in flying types checks
Keldeo in wallbreakers (with the choice specs)
Mega slowbro in calm minds
Mew (taunt/wow/koff/) in stallbreakers
Garchomp in swords dance

Also i would add:

Suicide lead list (azelf, garchomp, terrakion, landorus therian, mew, galvantula, shuckle, smeargle)

And a "offensive pivots" and a "defensive pivots" list. Hyper offensive teams prefer pokemons like raikou or landorus, instead of slowbro and vice versa, etc.

For those wondering, agility scizor and gliscor are there because they baton pass them, not because they sweep with agility themselves (the same goes for mew)

U forget:

Raikou in flying types checks
Keldeo in wallbreakers (with the choice specs)
Mega slowbro in calm minds
Mew (taunt/wow/koff/) in stallbreakers
Garchomp in swords dance

Also i would add:

Suicide lead list (azelf, garchomp, terrakion, landorus therian, mew, galvantula, shuckle, smeargle)

And a "offensive pivots" and a "defensive pivots" list. Hyper offensive teams prefer pokemons like raikou or landorus, instead of slowbro and vice versa, etc.
Good suggestions, I'll add them all tomorrow

A couple of things to add:
  • Gliscor is a viable Stealth Rock setter, so I recommend including that under the SR section.
  • CB Scizor can be used as a pursuit trapper, so I recommend including that under the Pursuit Trappers section.
  • I am a bit on the fence about Heatran being a dragon check, given that most dragon's now carry EQ, including Latios and M-Altaria, so I'm not sure its such a great check anymore.
  • Scarfed Magnezone is still viable due to its increased bulk and power, so I recommend including that under the Scarfers section.
  • Specs Sylveon is a very viable wallbreaker that is rising in usage, due to the prevalence of Mega Sableye, so I recommend including that under the Wallbreakers section
That's about it for now, cheers for making this thread :]

I would also add Entei and Terrakion under priority, Entei for obvious reasons and Terrakion since is does run Quick Attack from time to time to get low HP KO's. I suppose Prankster users should also be listed under there too unless they get their own category. Metagross and Medicham should be added too now that I think about it since (Mega) Medicham uses bother Fake Out and Bullet Punch from time to time while (Mega) Metagross uses Bullet Punch especially since the mega gets it boosted with Tough Claws.

How is this thread different from this one?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-teambuilding.3523054/

Is it just that this thread is more specific?
That thread is sort of a project where people post their sets and what they do, how to use them, etc. so newer players can learn about each specific pokemon. This is basically just a list of the best pokemon and the roles they perform and is very basic. The only real difference is that this is for people quickly looking for stuff to put on their teams whilst that is a community thing for people to post good and relevant sets to use on a pokemon and how to use them... Also mine just links the pokemon to their smogon analyses and has pretty sprites.

Btw, I will add all of your suggestions later today (tomorrow for the Americans) I have to do irl stuff. Stay tuned, will add a weather section and a few more sections like defensive and offensive pivots and a suicide lead and support section

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fair enough.

What makes Magneton more viable than Magnezone as a trapper? Is it the speed? or the extra bulk the evolite provides? Sorry if that wasn't a very good question.
With a choice scarf it outpseeds jolly talonflame and greninja which scarf magnezone cannot. Yeah, the speed.

I know it's not the most common but I feel Gengar should be listed as a viable Scarfer as well. It may not have the high-powered STAB's of the more popular choices (Latios, Terrakion, Pony etc) or the utility of Landog or ScarfTar, but it has a few neat toys like Trick and Destiny Bond that allow it to stand out. Also a great speed tier for a scarfmon and awesome neutral coverage with it's STAB moves alone.

Alright good to know. Ideal ev spread would then be 252 speed with a timid nature. I haven't come across any scarfed magnetons in OU, though.
Because it's generally worse than magnezone, only Greninja weak teams should use it because jolly talonflame isn't that common.

Update time:
Took a hell of a long time, but finally added the analyses to every pokemon. Also had to get rid of the weather section because I didnt reserve space like the idiot I am. I didnt think it mattered though, the weather section is very linear anyway and consisted of one or two pokemon per sub category so it was kind of just taking up space. Depending on the space I have left I might be able to add like one or two more categories (perhaps a walls section or something). Added all of your suggestions besides the ones I didn't think were good/necessary. I want to keep the list very general and stay clear of any unnecessary categories like weather (because it is very two dimensional). I also found support to be a bit unnecessary. Perhaps a cleric/wish passer section would be cool, but again i probably wont have space for it and this list is mainly important stuff you should have at least one of on every team, unlike cleric support and weather which you don't really need.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys

edit: For some reason the greninja and keldeo check list got deleted, I'll add it back soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)