Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Ok so on Sand Rush Excadrill, I always feel that is fast enough in the sand, but could it be possible to run an Adamant one or is Jolly always the nature that should be run?

Ok so on Sand Rush Excadrill, I always feel that is fast enough in the sand, but could it be possible to run an Adamant one or is Jolly always the nature that should be run?
Adamant is the preferred nature afaik, Jolly is only if you have a severe weakness to other sand builds and want to retain a Life Orb or other, non Air Balloon item, to reduce the likelihood of speed ties with opposing Excadrill. Exca's so fast in sand that more power is preferred.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Jolly is better imo the power difference isnt that noticible and jolly will let you outspeed and kill heatran outside sand along with a whole bunch of other stuff like adamant megacham or whatever.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
What are some special attackers that appreciate Screech Dugtrio weakening and trapping Chansey and Clefable, and can also appreciate Duggy trapping mons like Mega Diancie and Heatran?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What are some special attackers that appreciate Screech Dugtrio weakening and trapping Chansey and Clefable, and can also appreciate Duggy trapping mons like Mega Diancie and Heatran?
Zardy appreciates all of those trapped bar maybe Clefable, but Manaphy likes Chansey and unaware fable gone (unaware doesnt ignore screech drops)

Has anyone got a replay of the Vincune set doing work? So much hype about it but haven't actually seen it first hand

Cheers!

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Good spread for SubSD Salac Cobalion ?
24 HP / 232 Atk / 252 Spe

Stolen from False.'s SubCM Coba spread and modified to have Atk>SpA, I assume it stops something breaking it's sub. Max speed is important to tie with Keldeo

Reactions: AOJ
what is mega aggron's niche i swear it has shit
doesnt matter how metallicaly thicc it is when you are cockblocked by waters and stall. even an innovative lord such as myself couldn't find a way to make it work

you are best off using a set of heavy slam / toxic / stealth rock / filler, pairing it with vincune, and then pretending like it did something after handing out some Ls when in reality it was just there to make you look like the cool kid on the ladder

The main issue I have with mega Aggron is the monotype change, yes I know you lose a lot of weaknesses and 2 dual weaknesses, but losing one of the best offensive stabs in the game with rock just makes me feel cheated.

Aggron is kinda dumbed down to be a mono attacker from that point on and it's best bet is firing of thunder waves and setting up rocks, for all of heavy slam worth he is walled hard by anything water or steel unless he parashuffles, wich other pokemon can do better, or fires off unstabbed piss weak coverage moves.

Yes Aggron sucks hard, at least mega Audino got wish...

Hey guys, this is probably a noob question but if a Pokemon with Technician uses Fury Cutter consecutively, will it only double the base power for the first turn or will it continue to double? That is, if I use it over and over, will the base power be 60 -> 120 -> 240 -> 480 or 60 -> 80 -> 160 -> 320?

Also, how does STAB factor into this, if, for example, I used Technician Scizor?

Last edited:
Hey guys, this is probably a noob question but if a Pokemon with Technician uses Fury Cutter consecutively, will it only double the base power for the first turn or will it continue to double? That is, if I use it over and over, will the base power be 60 -> 120 -> 240 -> 480 or 60 -> 80 -> 160 -> 320?

Also, how does STAB factor into this, if, for example, I used Technician Scizor?
It doubles each time, maxing out at 160 BP, so you're looking at 40 > 80 > 120 > 160 > 160 etc etc

STAB and Technician do not add to the base powers of the move, as they are multiplied in afterwards. So if you were to use Technician Scizor, you would always get STAB on it, but only get the Technician boost on the first hit.

All that said, please don't use Fury Cutter Scizor.

Having not played the game for a long time (since February) due to life and now trying to get back into it, I am aware of strategies such as BP going round the block again. My question is,what is the structure and weaknesses of the BP archetype currently, and are there any other notable trends I should be aware of? Like I know Clefable, Latios, Landorus-T etc are still the best, but it's things like Sand being popular, or new especially popular sets/old sets that have resurged, that sort of thing. EG Mixed Chomp is now > Tank Chomp (I think?). If you can give me a quick sentence (even a few mon names) of how to prepare for these too, I'd be grateful. If I know what to look for I should be able to fill in the gaps myself. Thanks guys.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Having not played the game for a long time (since February) due to life and now trying to get back into it, I am aware of strategies such as BP going round the block again. My question is,what is the structure and weaknesses of the BP archetype currently, and are there any other notable trends I should be aware of? Like I know Clefable, Latios, Landorus-T etc are still the best, but it's things like Sand being popular, or new especially popular sets/old sets that have resurged, that sort of thing. EG Mixed Chomp is now > Tank Chomp (I think?). If you can give me a quick sentence (even a few mon names) of how to prepare for these too, I'd be grateful. If I know what to look for I should be able to fill in the gaps myself. Thanks guys.
To start, Baton Pass struggles against strong neutral STAB attackers like Zen Heaadbutt Metagross, and the metagame is very interesting. In many cases the metagame is a lot more offensive, with teams like CTC's birdspam and Wally's Mega Meta HO popping up, but other fat teams like Tele's Double Defog Dugtrio Stall and Ox's Gastro Balance/Semi-Stall have popped up indicating that the metagame is kind of a mixed bag right now. Additionally, a ton of new sets that have popped up during the first few cycles of OLT. The most notable examples of these are; Omfuga's Rest Mega Heracross, Vinc's Substitute+Protect Suicune, Screech Dugtrio, Stealth Rock Clef, and Specs Latios come to mind in terms of newly resurged or founded sets. Additionally in terms of move choices, Surf is the most common coverage choice on Latios, a lot of random mons on stall have been running Toxic like Skarmory and Suicune, Keldeo has found a few more fillers for its main sets in Toxic and Endeavor, and probably some other stuff. Reading through this thread and lurking on threads like the VR and metagame discussion can also get you a general idea of what's going on in the metagame, but I also recommend watching high ladder OLT games as well as late-round Smogon Tour games.

What's a good Water type for Sand teams? I'm kind of stuck on which I should go for. I was thinking Azumarill since it covers my teams weaknesses but I might not have the right team for it.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
What's a good Water type for Sand teams? I'm kind of stuck on which I should go for. I was thinking Azumarill since it covers my teams weaknesses but I might not have the right team for it.
It depends on the team's weaknesses, but Keldeo and Manaphy are often seen with sand since they appreciates TTar trapping the Lati twins.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
What's the best hazard remover to pair with Volcarona nowadays? I was thinking Latias since it Defogs and checks Keldeo really well but I heard Starmie is pretty good with Volcarona as well

What's the best hazard remover to pair with Volcarona nowadays? I was thinking Latias since it Defogs and checks Keldeo really well but I heard Starmie is pretty good with Volcarona as well
Excadrill is also good because it kills Fire-types like Heatran, the Mega Charizards (if scarfed), and random stuff like Mega Altaria and Rotom-Heat. Scarf Drill can also check birdspam with Rock Slide.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I want to build a new team around Mega Zard X, who are good teammates that can support him really well?
Assuming you're referring to the Dragon Dance set (the Will-O-Wisp variant works better with other mons), the Pokémon Matchmaking Thread's got you covered. Please note that this information is a bit outdated, but it should still work well enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)