Other ORAS OU SPL Replay & General Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
approved by haunter

Welcome to the OU SPL Replay and General talk thread, a place where you can find the replays of every ORAS OU SPL game. Additionally, this thread will be open so that you guys can talk about the games, ranging from how the teams were built, to the plays made by the players, and everything in between. However, this is not the place to complain, flame, troll, or do anything else of the like. This thread will be strictly moderated, and any posts that do not follow the rules outlined below will be deleted. If repeated offenses occur, further actions may be taken. This is only to improve the quality of this thread, as it is meant to be a place to have fun. As long as you use common sense when posting here, there won't be any issues.

Additionally, some players may visit this thread, so feel free to ask them about their games should they be willing to talk about them. If this happens, it is entirely voluntary, so please, show them respect if they do decide to post here. Don't pester them. Asking questions is fine; demanding an answer is not.

The replays will be updated at the end of every week, when all games have been played.

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 6:
Week 7:

Rules:

1. No Flaming any of the players. This includes bashing them for a team they made, bashing them for the plays they made, or bashing someone for haxing another player. These players are some of the best on Smogon. You don't have to like them, but you should respect them. They don't want to see your bullshit when they visit this thread.
  2. Stay on topic. This thread is for ORAS OU SPL. Any posts that do not pertain to ORAS OU SPL, such as the viability of a mon, other tiers, or anything else that is not ORAS OU SPL, will be subject to deletion.
  3. Do not pester any of the players. This rule ties in with rule #1. If a player decides to post here to talk about one of their games, or to answer some questions about their games, do not pester them. Asking questions is fine. Demanding answers is not. It is up to them to decide if they want to answer them or not.
  4. No Shit talking. As said by steelphoenix in the Ubers thread, "This is not a shit-talking thread; please post all memes, raps, trash-talking, limericks, put-downs, insults, NaCl, aspersions, slights, instances of rudeness, scorn, vilification, obloquy, and other various needlessly complicated ways to express distaste, displeasure, or disgust toward other users in this thread." Take this to heart when posting here.
  5. Keep one-liners to a minimum. These are easily the most annoying posts on any forum. Unless you're bedschibaer, or some other witty poster who averages 30+ likes a post, make sure your posts have substance. They're not funny to the rest of us and we don't want to hear it. Thye clutter up the thread and contribute nothing.
  6. Have fun. This thread is meant to be a place to talk about high level play of the game we all love. There's no need to make this stressful. Just chill out and have fun.
If any issues arise, the OU mods will handle them. Do not minimod. Reverb, AM, and Haunter have pledged their services to making sure this thread runs smoothly.

If there are any problems with the links to the replays, please contact me via PM, VM, or PS. Do not clutter the thread.

Last edited:
Mencemeat vs CyberOdin was a really interesting game, where Fling Gliscor was used. I asked if it was a viable set, and apparently, SD is better since it's more reliable. SD Gliscor beats Mega Sableye anyways, so is there a reason why Fling was used, since SD just seems better.

Reactions: zbr
I believe user Tesung showed amazing teambuilding prowess in his last spl battle vs the legendary PALKIA DIALGA CLASH. I call upon Tesung to give us an insight into his mindset when building such a perfectly matched up team for pdc

well, this week I had midterms, so I figured I wouldnt have very much time to build. As such, I called upon the legendary Falcons bench to create a team for me with a certain mon or 2 (not gonna reveal cuz I might use it later). Users such as IAmGingy tried their best to build me teams, but as expected, they were unable to fulfill their duties. As such, I was forced to abandon my studies for the much more important task of playing pokemon. I then analyzed PDC's style and created the perfect team, full of wonderful innovations. But then, my instincts kicked in, and at the last second I intentionally misclicked the perfect team that won with ease.

Edit:
I actually want to do the purpose of this thread cuz I like this thread. I felt like there werent any amazing battles this week, TDK vs Adam was probly the best, with Adam having the upper hand early until Grass Knot Metagross revealed itself and put in major work, giving hawlucha the chance to win. Otherwise, Sinclair vs chimpact shows that u need an sd gliscor answer in this meta as if that werent obvious, tho sinclair almost came back cuz of a choke. I also liked inflikted reymedy cuz it shows how strong av torn is v offense

Last edited:
ben gay vs Stathakis in week 1 was a very interesting game, as it involved the usage of rather uncommon pokemon such as reuniclus, empoleon, and toxicroak. It takes huge balls to use underrated and uncommon pokemon in a tour, especially one as prestigious as spl, so it was interesting to see how much of a key role toxicroak espcially had in this battle.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going off what Stathakis said, I think it's interesting to see the diversity of Dragalge sets and the ones that are actually gaining popularity. A lot of the initial hype was over how ridiculously hard-hitting the Choice Specs set is, but the set that's actually popular right now is TSpikes, which have proven to be extremely effective in the current metagame and are one of the larger reasons that Tentacruel has seen so much popularity in the tournament so far. A few individuals are even opting for a bulky set, which is really interesting because it's super bulky, countering the likes of LO Gengar, Keldeo, Thundurus, Zard Y, Raikou, and Mega Manectric while laying the ever-useful TSpikes. What makes TSpikes so effective is that a lot of people are opting to run offensive and even balanced builds without hazard removal, either electing that their team doesn't really need it or running hazards of their own without having room for, say, Starmie. TSpikes and hazard stacking in general really punish these teams.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So the match with Tesung and Liberty32 just concluded. It was a pretty well rounded game from the looks of it and I was impressed by the consistency I saw. Rock Polish HP Ice Lando-I is a pretty nice set that takes into account the usage of Landos and Specially Defensive Gliscor and after Talonflame and some checks were out of the way it as able to get Tesung the victory. Granted a Stone Edge miss happened with Hippowdon that stopped Liberty from removing it but I feel Lando-I's set itself was a good show of what tools it can utilize for lure purposes as well as effectiveness. I can't actually say now in this metagame that there is ever a concrete set for something such as Lando-I. Good game by two great players.

lol at trying to stall out stone edge vs tesung he could prob fire off 100 in a row successfully.

Overall any1 else feel most spl games have been kind of meh? Seems like most games one team has a clear advantage over another that they use to essentially win quite easily. Haven't been that many close games down to the wire. (at least oras ou)

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Forgive me if I'm being obtuse or if I'm missing something really obvious, but in the Ben Gay vs Stathakis game, wouldn't going for a second Drain Punch on the manectric have been a better play? That way he can at least force a 50-50 with the Manectric vs Volcarona situation, but still, great game, one of my personal favourites so far, I loved the bluff Stath pulled with Breloom, playing it as if sash in the beginning which then allowed him to lure Lando and damage it significantly later in the game.

The optimal play from Ben gay would have been to sucker t1, allowing himself to die and set
Up the volca 5050. Once he survived (it was a roll), it was over as stathakis had no reason not to volt switch, a lose lose for Ben. That game was one of the best this spl regardless though. As for the person who talked about landorus, I think rp land is incredibly effective in this meta bs any playstyle, and even if hippo had killed it (it was a roll Cuz I had bulk), it would have weakened it to where manetric swept, showing how good it is as part of a core in weakening shit even if it doesn't outright kill

Looking forward to seeing the games this week, hopefully we will get some innovation

Idk, i for some reason still really liked the idea of double healing wish in that round three match to help get keld do whatever it wanted. I mean, i saw the latios one coming at first but didnt think it be used on him and rachi. Idk why but i still really liked that idea.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this is the right Forum but since there is no SPL talk in Ruins of Alph I'll post it here.
What happened to BW OU? I scrolled back and not a single Ninetales was used, while very few Politoed were used, and Tyranitar is still a solid pick, what happened to Weather Wars? I'm very interested on hearing what Top Players may think about the changes in the Metagame at the moment.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this is the right Forum but since there is no SPL talk in Ruins of Alph I'll post it here.
What happened to BW OU? I scrolled back and not a single Ninetales was used, while very few Politoed were used, and Tyranitar is still a solid pick, what happened to Weather Wars? I'm very interested on hearing what Top Players may think about the changes in the Metagame at the moment.
I'm not in SPL, but as an avid player I'd say that the BW metagame has become a lot less "volatile" in terms of matchup. Sand Balance has become the most prominent playstyle because of its general consistency, and the rise of some certain 'Mons, Stallbreak Mew being the main example, that can beat a ton of playstyles (Weatherless HO, for example, and I'm therefore surprised that so many have been used, but you'll see most of them (like Conflict or Jirachee last week) are using Heatran or something of the sort to check it. Other fat Psychics, such as Reuniclus and Bulky Starmie, have vastly risen in usage as well, and you can see this more in the ST18 usage statistics, but also you can see it displayed in two of the most popular builds in 2014:

/
/
/
/
(fat) /
(fat)
/
(fat) /
/
/
/ (
or
)

Stuff like Gastrodon, Jellicent, FatLoom, and FatMie have contributed to the general decline of Rain and Rain HO, and as you can see the second build in particular has multiple easy answers to Ferro and Celebi, things that I find pretty much any rain HO relies on to remove Gastrodon / Jellicent. Additionally, a lot of offensive Rain 'Mons are bopped by ScarfTar (think Torn, or Anal Starmie), that's a common sight on Sand Balance.

As another example, I know Lyconik's been laddering a lot of BW /kinda/ recently (last couple months or so), and thus is pretty familiar with the "new meta", as shown by his squad (
/
/
/
/
/
) last week. I know he timed out on like, turn 12, but I'd be assuming the Breloom would be some fat Toxic Orb set from the looks of it, which is also another thing that's rising in usage.

Due to these changes, I'd say LO Hydeigon has been another Pokemon making big waves in the meta, as it brutalizes a lot of popular Sand balance squads and can also beat all three of the aforementioned bulky psychics. You could see it being used quite a bit last week, featuring on both Peachy and Ojama's teams. This is another result of the meta taking a more "bulky" turn, since you definitely wouldn't see Hydreigon the more HO-dominated meta about a year and a half ago, and it was typically left aside because of its low speed and the prevalence of fighting spam.

Another thing I think that's changed as far as tournament play goes is Sun. Most of the sun teams (usually in ST) you'll see have been used before, because really there are only a handful of really "great" sun teams (I believe this was said by Sogeking not too long ago), and mostly they'll be something to the effect of 'tales / strong fire / venu / duggy / hazard control / filler, making them pretty predictable in their play (at least, that's what I've found, and I hope others can agree). Additionally, due to the aforementioned decline of rain (which sun generally matches up great against), sun is /generally/ used less. So like, a changing in fat sand builds led to a decline in Rain, which lead to a decline in Sun. Again, this is all general lol

With all that being said, you're more like to see innovation in SPL than other places, so I wouldn't take a lot of things used in SPL as a representation of the "new meta". Since you're only playing 1 person per week, and pretty much every single SPL BWer is well known, people are more like to counterstyle and use specific things depending on who they're playing, since everyone knows each other.

Anyway, I hope that was a kinda decent update on the current meta, I can certainly elaborate on anything I said, and of course there are a lot of things I didn't touch on, but yeah. I obviously don't mean Rain or Sun or Weatherless are like not viable, and there are a ton of cool things you can do with them (rain in particular, I find) but they are somewhat limited by the rise of key 'Mons (like, Mew for weatherless) and you will see less of them in stuff like ST play, where consistency rules over beating specific opponents.

Please forgive the bump, but since SPL is still going on, I hope that this thread is still relevant enough to warrant it.

I'm just curious as to what the SPL players' general views on Mega Sableye are? I just looked at the recent Week 6 usage stats, and it doesn't appear that Mega Sableye was even used, which brings it to only 2 uses in the past 5 weeks. Now, anyone who has seen my recent post in the Viability Rankings thread knows that I think Mega Sableye has been hyped up too much. However, I've still always thought of it as a top Pokemon, so it's surprising to me to see it get so little SPL attention since Week 1. Is there something about the SPL environment that makes Mega Sableye a less optimal choice? Do SPL players not find it to actually be a top Mega like the conventional wisdom would suggest? Is there another reason? And of course, why, why not, all that jazz.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I think it's because pokemon that break Mega Sableye (or defensive builds in general) were used a lot since Sableye got a huge usage in the first week (67% of his total usage was in the first week) I'm talking about pokemon such as SD Gliscor, Clefable, SubCm Keldeo and Landorus.

My questions are for PDC

How did you prepare for the game against Key?

What did you think that you could've done in that game so that you would've come out on top?

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Adam told me what happened since I'm obviously a huge fan of baton piss.. Him and Joey I believed played smash and made a bet. If Joey loses, he uses baton pass. If Adam loses, he uses baton pass. Think it was obvious on who the winner was. Hate Adam for it for bringing it, but still love em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)