Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V3 - Read Post 3451 Page 139

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I'll have the time to play Pokemon for the next two weeks, and I'm not necessarily the most skilled, but I just want to point out that Infernape actually isn't that bad in this meta. I can say for now though that Infernape has been working quite well for me. I actually run Hasty nature and I may tell you guys my current Infernape spread in the future (I could right now but I want to wait until I have more time to actually play so I can confirm how useful it is via replays) but basically it allows Infernape to actually live a +2 Dragon Pulse and OHKO Serperior. (Albiet since I'm assuming you're investing Infernape in the offensive stats only make sure you have a defogger for Rocks) You still beat Mega Scizor and Bisharp especially with Mach Punch so imo it's generally more worth it. Also Infernape is a much bigger threat to Celebi than Keldeo is.

Gunk Shot is also nice to try out too since it makes Mega Altaria (as well as really any other fairy but more specifically Mega Altaria) because it prevents Mega Altaria from coming in and makes both the offensive and defensive spread on Mega Altaria less threatening than if you were using Keldeo. Moves like Hidden Power Ice for faking out Landorus-I/Gliscor and the versatility still means Infernape has a niche over Keldeo. Not saying to move him up or down right now, since I am unable to play for a bit and I've been playing this game in short spurts. Just informing you guys because hey this thread is discussing Infernape and how can I not be a part of it?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
The only reason why I would see anyone using Mega-Latios is if they run a physical Dragon Dance set to surprise their opponents. Its 130 Attack and 110 Speed in tandem with 100 / 120 Defenses are nothing to take lightly. It also has access to Outrage, Earthquake, and Roost to heal itself.

Other than that, it's utterly outclassed by its non-Mega form when it comes to dissing out special attacks without taking up a Mega slot.

The only reason why I would see anyone using Mega-Latios is if they run a physical Dragon Dance set to surprise their opponents. Its 130 Attack and 110 Speed in tandem with 100 / 120 Defenses are nothing to take lightly. It also has access to Outrage, Earthquake, and Roost to heal itself.

Other than that, it's utterly outclassed by its non-Mega form when it comes to dissing out special attacks without taking up a Mega slot.
Its still not really worth it since its ouclassed by virtually any other dragon dancer in OU (ZardX, Altaria, Mega Gyarados, Dragonite...) so even in that single niche its severly outclassed by other Dragons

Its still not really worth it since its ouclassed by virtually any other dragon dancer in OU (ZardX, Altaria, Mega Gyarados, Dragonite...) so even in that single niche its severly outclassed by other Dragons
I would argue it certainly has some niche as a D-dancer due to it's nice bulk and it's exclusive Zen Headbutt STAB. Of course, this is all in theory, and I actually think LO Latios hits harder on the physical side than M-Latios, so...

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Fortunately for Mega Latios' chances of being usable as a DDer over standard Latios, it does hit harder than LO Latios. Technically.

0 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 159-187 (46.6 - 54.8%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Latios Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 166-196 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Of course, this discounts that LO Latios runs timid and a DD Mega Latios would probably run at least some Attack investment.

The main advantage Mega Latios has going for it over some other DD users is its incredibly good special attack. Even with a -nature, it can still run a special attack to hit physically bulky mons very hard. And it's also not weak to SR even in base form, unlike some of the other common DDers. I haven't really used it much though, so I'm unsure if it's actually very effective.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DD Mega Latios isn't particularly good. However, I don't think that Latios is on D level as it seems to fit in better with stuff like Zygarde than it does with Salamence. Mega Latios is definitely better than Salamence. However, I'd be all for a drop to C- as it fits better with Zygarde than it does with the stuff in C.

Also one other thing: why is Emboar even ranked. What does it do that Infernape doesn't do better? I just don't understand the logic behind it, as fully physical is garbage, its too slow to run scarf effectively without having Tyranitar's saving graces as a slow scarfer, mixed is 100% outclassed by Infernape and its bulk is mediocre. Sucker Punch is hardly a reason to use this shit as Sucker Punch's main targets in the metagame either set up on Emboar or are forced out by it. Emboar is literal garbage and really shouldn't be ranked - especially as high as C-.

Also I support the Shuckle unranking. Sticky Web sucks in OU and Shuckle's main niches are gone. As a multi-hazard Custap lead it is outclassed by Forry and Skarmory, it is somehow more passive than Chansey and it is so slow that its Encore isn't reliable as enough people know not to get greedy v.s. Shuckle.

Scizor is still up for discussion about moving up right? I think it should based on its ability to fit Mega Scizor's role to a reasonable degree. Take the LO SD set, with the same moves and EVs as standard offensive Mega Scizor. Less base stat bulk and Life Orb recoil, but it actually has a higher damage output and can nail some critical KOes at +2 that offensive SD Mega Scizor doesn't like Mega Venusaur and Mega Sableye. This also extends to bulky SD with Lefties compared to bulky Mega Scizor, etc to varying degrees. Not that regular Scizor is anywhere near as effective overall, but the gap from A+ to B seems too large in this case. Oh, and CB is still very good.

p2

Banned deucer.
DD Mega Latios isn't particularly good. However, I don't think that Latios is on D level as it seems to fit in better with stuff like Zygarde than it does with Salamence. Mega Latios is definitely better than Salamence. However, I'd be all for a drop to C- as it fits better with Zygarde than it does with the stuff in C.

Also one other thing: why is Emboar even ranked. What does it do that Infernape doesn't do better? I just don't understand the logic behind it, as fully physical is garbage, its too slow to run scarf effectively without having Tyranitar's saving graces as a slow scarfer, mixed is 100% outclassed by Infernape and its bulk is mediocre. Sucker Punch is hardly a reason to use this shit as Sucker Punch's main targets in the metagame either set up on Emboar or are forced out by it. Emboar is literal garbage and really shouldn't be ranked - especially as high as C-.

Also I support the Shuckle unranking. Sticky Web sucks in OU and Shuckle's main niches are gone. As a multi-hazard Custap lead it is outclassed by Forry and Skarmory, it is somehow more passive than Chansey and it is so slow that its Encore isn't reliable as enough people know not to get greedy v.s. Shuckle.
Emboar literally destroys walls. Reckless lets it break pretty much anything that doesn't resist it and it has more powerful coverage than Infernape (but they do different things, so idk why you're comparing them outside of typing).
It's more comparable to Victini and the things that set it apart are its typing which allows it to check a bunch of threats like Bisharp and a neutrality to SR.

Somebody that's used Emboar can easily tell you more about why it's ranked, because I haven't used it at all to be honest.

In addition to what fleggumfl said, Emboar actually isn't too slow to run Scarf as it outspeeds everything unboosted aside from Weavile (which it beats 1 on 1 anyway), Talonflame (which it would never stay in on or try to revenge kill) and the 6 Megas from Lopunny and Manectric up. It's a decent revenge killer for select fast mons and its Flare Blitz can clean against offensive teams. Scarf isn't too bad against Stall either as Reckless + 123 Attack hit hard enough even unboosted.

There's also the SubPunch set, which is actually really nice and gives Emboar the longevity that it lacks on the other sets. This set can afford to run Toxic to cripple walls that it can't break through without a boosting item like Slowbro and Sucker Punch is less risky on this set.

I'm not sure where the idea that Sucker Punch is bad on it is coming from. Sucker Punch is really handy to have on the Life Orb/Expert Belt and SubPunch sets for the Lati twins, Gengar, (Mega) Alakazam, Mega Metagross, Starmie and even just for getting damage off of faster threats that don't resist it like Landorus and Excadrill.

While the rise of Rocky Helmet Garchomp and Lando-T + Heatran cores are making the metagame a bit less desirable for it right now, it's fine in C-. It should probably move up to C or so once conditions get a bit better for it.

We talking about emboar?

C- / C

Emboar has as many cool factors as it does flaws. For 1, it's a pretty good Scarf Revenge Killer! Seriously the thing's Flare Blitz is an extremely strong revenge ko. It also outspeeds quite a bit of the OU metagame, and beats out some of the things that outspeed him. Weavile is annihilated by Superpower, there's Talonflame, but you shouldn't consider leaving Emboar in on Talonflame anyway since the things Brave Bird kills you twice, and Mega Bunny, while can KO Emboar with High Jump Kick, He can guaranteed OHKO with Super Power and even a -1 Superpower.

-1 252 Atk Emboar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 266-314 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Oh yeah the SubPunch Set... I never really found a use for the set, as all it usually runs is Focus and Sucker Punch for attacking (from what I've faced on the RU ladder). It does Head Charge if you seriously think you can take on Talonflame, and Will-O-Wisp / Toxic for crippling, but I find better support pokemon for those roles

- C- / C

We talking about emboar?

C- / C

Emboar has as many cool factors as it does flaws. For 1, it's a pretty good Scarf Revenge Killer! Seriously the thing's Flare Blitz is an extremely strong revenge ko. It also outspeeds quite a bit of the OU metagame, and beats out some of the things that outspeed him. Weavile is annihilated by Superpower, there's Talonflame, but you shouldn't consider leaving Emboar in on Talonflame anyway since the things Brave Bird kills you twice, and Mega Bunny, while can KO Emboar with High Jump Kick, He can guaranteed OHKO with Super Power and even a -1 Superpower.

-1 252 Atk Emboar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 266-314 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Oh yeah the SubPunch Set... I never really found a use for the set, as all it usually runs is Focus and Sucker Punch for attacking (from what I've faced on the RU ladder). It does Head Charge if you seriously think you can take on Talonflame, and Will-O-Wisp / Toxic for crippling, but I find better support pokemon for those roles

- C- / C
SubPunch always runs Flare Blitz...Otherwise Reckless would be worthless. This is SubPunch (credit to Jaroda)
Emboar @ Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch / Wild Charge / Toxic

Also, a few more things. Scarf Emboar shouldn't be staying in on Mega Lop unless you're anticipating an Ice Punch for your Gliscor/Landorus. Emboar doesn't have to stay in on Talonflame to hit it; a Wild Charge or Head Smash on the switch is a dead bird and on Band/Life Orb sets, Flare Blitz still does a ton. Status moves aren't restricted to support mons. Emboar is a wallbreaker first and foremost and Toxic helps break down the walls it can't beat with raw power on SubPunch. I don't really understand what this post brings.

We talking about emboar?

C- / C

- C- / C
Yeah congrats, you can OHKO a weavile with a 4x super effective move, and you can also OHKO mega lopunny with a super effective STAB move... even at -1!! So powerful!!

And then you realize that weavile outspeeds even scarf emboar and KOs with a combination of Knock off + low kick (lowest rolls) after SR (which means that emboar can't even switch in safely), and that mega lopunny also outspeeds you and has a 94% chance to OHKO you with hjk after SR...

Yeah sorry if I sound rude but I think your post was kind of pointless.

We talking about emboar?

C- / C

- C- / C
If we're talking about scarf revenge killers, all that comes to mind is that this thing is outclassed by scarf Diggersby; however,

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 135-160 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
VS.

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 144-170 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You'd find that it hits marginally harder than Diggersby, but its STABs either have crippling recoil or lower stats, and it often can't stay in too long, but it's still viable nonetheless, this thing is one of Scizor and Ferrothorn's worst enemies, and Mega Metagross is outsped by Scarf and despises Flare Blitz, all in all, it's a decent wallbreaker, but in this metagame plagued with Mega Diancie and Mega Altaria, it can't do its job too effectively, so it should stay right where it is.

I disagree with unranking shuckle, Sticky Web may not be as good as it used to be, but it has the usable little niche of having encore and infestation, while being bulky enough to take some hits. Unlike Skarmory and Forretress, it isn't prone to being trapped by the evil Magnezone and being limited to 1-2 layers of hazards. If your opponent leads with Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie, you can just as easily trap them with infestation, then force them out by switching in the appropriate counter and gaining momentum by setting up as they are forced out.

Emboar isn't really that good lol. If you're looking for a wallbreaker, infernape is 10 times better due to it's better coverage, power due to being able to run LO, and speed. If you want a scarf reckless user, staraptor and even mienshao are much better because they actually outspeed relevant threats with a scarf. Emboar was really overhyped due to reckless but it honestly can do nothing that other mons can't do better. I'd rather have it moved to D tbh and that's just because it has a really small niche as a halfway between nape and raptor, though even then it doesn't do it particularly well.

Emboar isn't really that good lol. If you're looking for a wallbreaker, infernape is 10 times better due to it's better coverage, power due to being able to run LO, and speed. If you want a scarf reckless user, staraptor and even mienshao are much better because they actually outspeed relevant threats with a scarf. Emboar was really overhyped due to reckless but it honestly can do nothing that other mons can't do better. I'd rather have it moved to D tbh and that's just because it has a really small niche as a halfway between nape and raptor, though even then it doesn't do it particularly well.
It seems you're acting like it can only carry a Scarf? Life Orb Emboar is very viable despite the recoil and hits way harder than Nape could dream of. Expert Belt and Flame Plate can be used if the recoil's too much. It also has the advantage of being able to stay in on the Lati twins, MegaZam, weakened Mega Meta and others thanks to Sucker Punch, which Infernape can't do with Mach Punch. It's good against the various frailer faster mons too.
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 156-185 (51.8 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 144-170 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-312 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 245-288 (81.9 - 96.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 239-283 (74.9 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 221-262 (69.2 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 309-367 (119.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 286-338 (110.4 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Emboar run Adamant as well, turning the 2HKOs on Latias into OHKOs after SR and OHKOing Latios every time.

Band Emboar, while harder to work with, is most certainly viable and actually has no truly safe switch-in with Flare Blitz / Superpower / Wild Charge alone (with Head Smash obviously being very helpful). Band does have trouble getting in versus offensive teams thanks to lack of reliable priority, but being a Bisharp and Tyranitar check helps and when it does get in, either something dies or is severely crippled. Against Stall, it gets more opportunities to come in and Flare Blitz things. Various cores (like the common Lando-T + Heatran + Rotom-W) can be troublesome against Band, but it really comes down to prediction and the mentioned core can all be 2HKOed by Head Smash.

You didn't address SubPunch, which is honestly really difficult to compare to anything, as it plays nothing like Infernape, Staraptor, or even Conkeldurr. This set addresses any concerns one would have with longevity, gives it a strong Fighting STAB that it can stay in after using and really capitalizes on its ability to force switches. Sucker Punch and Toxic also work really nicely on this set.

Going back to Scarf, Emboar's really only failing to outspeed boosted threats and certain Megas. If you want to revenge kill Dragon Dancers, then Emboar's obviously not going to be your choice lol. Emboar has enough to outspeed Torn-T and below, which is just enough to be a good Scarfer. I could understand if Greninja was still here, but without it, Scarfboar has just enough speed to fight against relevant threats and hit fairly hard while doing so.

And overhyped? It was underhyped if anything. Most people looked down on Emboar at release. Outclassed by Infernape and Staraptor? Not really. Infernape may be difficult to switch into, but Emboar's raw power makes it even harder to find a switch-in for and its priority is stronger on the Life Orb set. Outlcassed by Staraptor? Good comparision, yes, especially since Brave Bird has a slightly better typing than Flare Blitz, but Emboar isn't Stealth Rock weak, has an easier time dispatching Steel types that may need removing for the team and Band hits harder (particularly with its coverage) while Scarf is much faster than Band Raptor. Emboar may not deserve to move up right now, but it shouldn't move down either, much less be unranked. Its niche has been solidified.

If you want replays of it in action, I don't have any recent ones right now, but I'll try to gather some. Regardless, here are some older ones from February that I found. Not all of them are high ladder/high level play.

Jaroda w/ SubPunch:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206392643
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206392643
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206403818

Me w/ Scarf
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-203917724
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-203920079

Sets for reference and calcs for each:
Emboar @ Choice Band
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe (40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with Adamant is viable)
Jolly/Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower / Hammer Arm
- Head Smash / Grass Knot

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 217-256 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 201-237 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 210-247 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 216-254 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 408-482 (102.5 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 204-240 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 304-358 (100.6 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 185-218 (61.4 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 274-324 (91 - 107.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 297-351 (75.3 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 156-184 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 260-307 (73.4 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 261-307 (61.7 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 432-510 (102.1 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 204-240 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
24 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 230-272 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0- SpA Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 292-348 (74.1 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
24 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Emboar @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA/HP / 232 Spe (252 Atk / 40 SpA/HP / 216 Spe with Adamant/Naughty is also viable)
Naive / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower / Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot / Wild Charge
24 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 169-200 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
24 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
24 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 244-289 (58 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-312 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 419-493 (106.8 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 305-360 (86.8 - 102.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 226-266 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
24 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 255-302 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 650-767 (92.3 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 153-181 (47.3 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Garchomp: 199-234 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 175-208 (43.6 - 51.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 354-419 (88.2 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
24 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 406-478 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 211-250 (59.6 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 242-286 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 235-278 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly/Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Head Smash / Grass Knot

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 271-321 (90.6 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 271-321 (81.6 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 288-339 (87.5 - 103%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 129-153 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 260-306 (99.2 - 116.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 260-306 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 129-153 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 320-378 (106.3 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 105-123 (43.5 - 51%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 123-146 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 248-292 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Emboar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 207-244 (64 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 226-267 (57.8 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Emboar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 378-446 (96.6 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 378-446 (96.6 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Emboar Superpower vs. 56 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 422-498 (104.1 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 56 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 252-297 (62.2 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 474-558 (162.8 - 191.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 237-279 (85.5 - 100.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Emboar @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch / Wild Charge / Toxic

Link to the thread that was apparently locked for unknown reasons: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/emboar.3524715/

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah. I would never consider using ScarfBoar. It is plain bad, and there is literally no reason to run it over Expert Belt.

You lot have won me over and I withdraw my statement that it should be unranked. However, I do still feel that its niche as a wallbreaker is too small for it to be in C-, and IMO it should be in D as it is exactly like Salamence in the regard that it has a small niche over its competition.(Defog+Intimidate+Roost+no Pursuit weakness+other resistances from typing for Salamence, Reckless (i.e. insane power) for Emboar)
Link to the thread that was apparently locked for unknown reasons: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/emboar.3524715/
For the same reason as most low-ranking 'mons probably: its niche being too small to warrant an entire thread on it.

With so many knock off users everywhere now, Chansey really seems to struggle in ORAS OU. At least, that's my experience, as someone who's had to break a lot of Chanseys.

As much as I love mega Glalie, base 100 speed doesn't seem to cut it nowadays.

Edit: I saw talk of Scizor. They tend to go down in one hit to flamethrower from my Clefable while failing to OHKO it with bullet punch.

Last edited:
Chansey doesn't generally stay in on anything that can possibly carry Knock Off bar stuff like Serperior who don't use it that much. Blissey still dies to any Knock Off coming from a decent attack, so the comparison is mostly lefties coverage and salvageable special attack. To be honest, I'd rather use Porygon 2 lord duck over Blissey if you wanted to use Blissey with BoltBeam, and even then the fat pink blob family has no reliable normal STAB and that's why they use Seismic Toss. Porygon 2 has Trace, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Tri Attack, good defenses, reliable recovery, and pure normal typing. While Blissey might tank slightly better than Pory2 on the special side Pory2 has better mixed bulk and doesn't die to the slightest nick of a physical attack. Although my comparison might not be the best, I'm mainly pointing towards the statement in one of the posts about Blissey about how it has decent special attack. That argument is alright, but I prefer Pory2 for the slightly better offensive presence. Although the pink blobs are in general better for tanking hits, besides physical for Pory.

Edit: I saw talk of Scizor. They tend to go down in one hit to flamethrower from my Clefable while failing to OHKO it with bullet punch.
Not to be rude, but. 'Oh my god, a move that's times four effective on something does significant damage!' While this wasn't really much of a point don't use a Pokémons obvious weaknesses that everyone should know about. Also...

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 344-408 (87.3 - 103.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 254-302 (64.4 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 296-352 (86.2 - 102.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 212-252 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 248-296 (88.2 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Clefable is a soft check, after prior chip damage or an SD it's done.

Not to be rude, but. 'Oh my god, a move that's times four effective on something does significant damage!' While this wasn't really much of a point don't use a Pokémons obvious weaknesses that everyone should know about. Also...
(Damage calcs were here in the original post)
Clefable is a soft check, after prior chip damage or an SD it's done.
Magic Guard Clefable ignores stealth rocks.

While an opponent gets up SD, under the assumption they've forced me to switch, Clefable proceeds to OHKO with flamethrower. More than likely, I've already got a calm mind under its belt.

While an opponent gets up SD, under the assumption they've forced me to switch, Clefable proceeds to OHKO with flamethrower. More than likely, I've already got a calm mind under its belt.

Not all Clefable have Magic Guard, and that's under the assumption you haven't used Clefable to do what it does earlier in the match, tank hits. In about 90% of all circumstances Clefable will have taken prior chip damage switching into something and if rocks aren't up, Flamethrower can still fail to OHKO Scizor (especially bulky Scizor, other may fail due to prior chip damage) in some cases even with minimal bulk investment. And as you saw, bulky Mega Scizor tanks Flamethrower. Also most likely you wouldn't have a CM up, because Scizor would pressure you enough and even then you'll be chipped down enough to get revenged.

Anyway, this is my last response to these posts.

Martin

To add to Gallade's point, why would a Scizor set up on a Clefable. That's just asking for trouble...

Sure the clefable risks heavy damage, if it stays in, but there is no point having a Scizor risk eating a Flamethrower for the sake of setting up on something which it comes in on to kill quickly anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)