Project oras ru research week #4 (researching hariyama, mega banette, and torterra , see post #49)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I lost all of my teams this week, so I didn't get to do as much laddering as I would have liked. Escavalier did rather well. One of the odd things about it is that it's a defensive steel type that isn't a rocker, which can put a bit of a strain on teambuilding. This is part of the reason it does so well with Seismitoad. I was getting tired of fighting Abomasnow + Rotom-Frost and I don't really care for Toad on heavily defensive teams, so I paired it with Mega Steelix. It did okay, but the strain it put on team building made it so that I didn't have a good way to break through Alomomola. Of course the next team I built without Escavalier lost to Slowking, so I'm still trying to find a balance in this tricky meta.

I like Hariyama and Torterra, so I'll probably do one of those. I should probably focus on getting reqs first though. If I participate this week, I'll edit this post with a mon and alt.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Question

Would be ideal to ladder for this during the suspect test? Given the nature of the suspect test and how is the only ru ladder available I will just like to make sure that doing research during the suspect is good. Sorry I couldnt ladder for the previous one :/

phantom

Banned deucer.
suspect test ladders tend to be much more competitive than the normal ones. if anything, you'd get more out of laddering in the suspect ladder where there's a handful of decent players you're bound to run into as opposed to the normal ambipom spam you usually see. in other words, you can test the pokemon vs good teams to see if it's actually proficient. research week in a suspect ladder is pretty ideal imo and i wouldn't give up the chance if i were you.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Welp, sadly I doubt I will be able to test them all unless there is an extension of some sort (please!) but I managed to test hariyama:

Pretty impressive results, in 10 ladder games during the suspect and it provided really satisfactory results so far. Hariyama only truly really fit on balance, and can suffer competition from other bulky fighting types like gurdurr or poliwrath, poliwrath more directly since it does check the same mons that yama would check but the valuable difference it has yama is way less passive dealing with threats, can afford to give up hp investment thanks to its gargantuous hp stat and can run max attack to do actual damage (and hits pretty hard) so this mon could easily be a balance staple with a much more active presence dealing with threats, with mega abomasnow dropping there is more incentive in running hariyama now. Lovely mon. Some cleric support (wish and heal bell ideally) but heal bell along works tbh.

Pretty viable but rather exclusive on balance, otherwise mons like gurdurr or poliwrath are better options. Managed to make a cool team with it that has been functional so far (it loses to durant sadly, gonna try to adjust it later).

The set Ive been using
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 Def / 136 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Fake Out
- Close Combat

EVs let it live specs psychic from meloetta 100% of the time and it becomes a general amazing tank. Fake out is mostly for scout purposes and disrupting leads like accelgor, heavy slam hits fairies and lot of stuff pretty hard, knock off is knock off and close combat being a great fighting STAB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)