Lower Tiers ORAS RU Role Compendium V2

[14:45:00] +ryoma nagare: Scyther to offensive pivots and fighting + psychic checks ig
[14:45:14] +ryoma nagare: torterra seems butt with venu around tbh take out imo

Don't really think Omastar can afford to run t-spikes on suicide leads with Venusaur around since Steath + Spikes, water STAB and Ice coverage are that important. It could stay anyway :p

don't see much reason to keep mag as a trapper with mlix gone; it doesn't trap regi and esca that well either imo

lol @ stunfisk

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[14:45:00] +ryoma nagare: Scyther to offensive pivots and fighting + psychic checks ig
[14:45:14] +ryoma nagare: torterra seems butt with venu around tbh take out imo

Don't really think Omastar can afford to run t-spikes on suicide leads with Venusaur around since Steath + Spikes, water STAB and Ice coverage are that important. It could stay anyway :p

don't see much reason to keep mag as a trapper with mlix gone; it doesn't trap regi and esca that well either imo

lol @ stunfisk
Added Scyther to pivots, fighting type checks, not sure if it is a psychic check per say but I added it to trappers. Technician pursuit :oooo
Torterra can stay imo, not sure if it is ranked but rock polish is pretty cool and SR beats other SR setters and has a chance against flygon to beat it 1v1.
Removed omastar from t-spikes, is never running that honestly.
Magneton still can trap key mons like escav for certain setup sweepers and, funnily enough, opposing magnetons so it can stay still.

Meloetta isn't a fighting check, remove it from that section. Also remove Stunfisk.
Did.

RIP Homiedino dream. Stunfisk has been removed. Debating if I should remove the rock resists section with tyrantrum gone.

Fire-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Duggy'd Be Cool to add to this list

Water-type checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Psychic-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Scyther fits in the offensive section of this.

Fighting-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Wallbreakers:

Offensive Trick Room Diancie. Also, Sneasel.

Stallbreakers / Taunt Users:

Block Registeel? It certainly messes with stall teams. Ask Take Azelfie if you're suspicious since I've never used it.

Pivots:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Revenge Killers:

Choice scarf users:

Cleaners (Naturally fast mons, speed boost, gale wings):

Rock Polish Rhyperior, and maybe RP Aggron for Cleaners. Braviary and Drapion for Scarf users. Also Dugtrio can revenge kill stuff so maybe put it in Cleaners? idk

Trappers:

Priority:

where is ambipom

Phazers (Roar / Dragon Tail / Whirlwind / Circle Throw):

Uxie's Yawn sorta counts for this

Haze / Clear Smog Users:

Clerics:

Wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Healing Wish:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Omastar also gets Toxic Spikes.
I actually removed it at first cause it has been AGES since Ive seen toxic spikes omastar but eh, guess it wont to add it back

Ok

*crackle knuckles*

- Dugtrio doesnt really count as a check since it barely switch into a select amount of Pokemon and none of those are fire types. It cant even get rid of emboar and houndoom reliably so Im really iffy on that.

- Scyther cant really switch into psychic-types like at all, unless it is bulky eviolite but not too sold on that set, but eh having pursuit + STAB U-turn + knock off + being faster than most of them naturally can do the trick. Eh, Im adding this

- Sneasel is not a wallbreaker, neither is offensive trick room diancie. Both are cleaners, one conditioned by trick room.

- Im not adding block registeel to anything.

- Rock Polish Rhyperior and Aggron arent naturally fast by any chance, they are conditioned by a setup move (rock polish) and they are already in that section. Adding choice scarf braviary and scarf drapion. Dugtrio can be a cleaner yes, will add the latter 3.

- If ambipom gets out of D/E rank, it can get in the compendium

- Phazing isnt the same as using yawn.

Ty very much for your input, guys n_n

Remove Sand from Weather Abusers and from Weather setters, since none of the mons listed aren't on the viability rankings and are quite frankly shit.

Add Registeel to Status Absorbers, since Rest is still a fair option on it.

Add Hariyama to Fire checks because Thick Fat.

Add Slowking to defensive Psychic checks since it can check most Psychics besides Hoopa.

Add Braviary to Wallbreakers, since Band is still a fair option and is very powerful.

Ludicolo to Scald switch-ins sounds good to me, since it 4x resists and is special.

Combusken to Baton Pass in Boosting Sweepers, since it can pass like +2 or +3 speed to a wallbreaker like Aggron or Absol and wreck.

Also replace every Gastrodon sprite with the East one, since it is clearly the superior sprite.

MrAldo

Hey
Remove Sand from Weather Abusers and from Weather setters, since none of the mons listed aren't on the viability rankings and are quite frankly shit.

Add Registeel to Status Absorbers, since Rest is still a fair option on it.

Add Hariyama to Fire checks because Thick Fat.

Add Slowking to defensive Psychic checks since it can check most Psychics besides Hoopa.

Add Braviary to Wallbreakers, since Band is still a fair option and is very powerful.

Ludicolo to Scald switch-ins sounds good to me, since it 4x resists and is special.

Combusken to Baton Pass in Boosting Sweepers, since it can pass like +2 or +3 speed to a wallbreaker like Aggron or Absol and wreck.

Also replace every Gastrodon sprite with the East one, since it is clearly the superior sprite.
- Sounds fair
- Nah
- Yes, Yama is dope
- Mmm, eh, guess thats ok
- Braviary wasnt on wallbreaker section before? nice catch
- Sure
- Combusken isnt ranked my G Nvm, just checked. Ok
- Absolutely

Thanks for your input *thumbs up*

Oh another thing I wanted to mention in that post was, Rock Resists really has no point in being there anymore since Tyrantrum is gone. I mean Aggron is still here so the section **could** be useful stall and semi-stall teams that want to see what their options are of checking it, so that could warrant keeping it. But for balance or offense it's not useful.

Whether or not that section is removed, I want to suggest adding another section to this Role Compendium: Venusaur Checks, offensive and defensive. Venusaur is one of the best Pokemon in the tier right now and while most people don't have problems checking it, a certain check might fit better with their team than another. Some checks might include Braviary, Fletchinder, Delphox, and Emboar (all offensive, Emboar could be defensive), Registeel (def), Bronzong (def), Drapion (both), Garbodor (def), and Escavalier (both).

Rock Resists isn't a thing on the list.

But I do agree a section at least dedicated to Grass checks would be nice, since there are a lot of good offensive Grass types right now.

Rock Resists isn't a thing on the list.

But I do agree a section at least dedicated to Grass checks would be nice, since there are a lot of good offensive Grass types right now.
No it was there before, I think Aldo removed the section though.

Also I think Venusaur is by far the most threatening of the Grass-types in the tier so I think such a section should be named "Venusaur Checks", but I wouldn't mind a general Grass-type Checks section either.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
No it was there before, I think Aldo removed the section though.

Also I think Venusaur is by far the most threatening of the Grass-types in the tier so I think such a section should be named "Venusaur Checks", but I wouldn't mind a general Grass-type Checks section either.
you can check the role compendium for specific venu checks. The role compendium should be used for more broader roles, like "fighting type checks"

MrAldo

Hey
^ *Check compendium

Removed Tangrowth, RIP (Im still mad)

Didnt add Slurpuff and Shaymin for obvious reasons, lol.

Torterra to Stealth Rock setters offensive
Jynx to Choice Scarf users. If Mesprit is there, then Jynx should too, Jynx has an actually viable scarf set
Registeel to status absorbers and maybe Scald switch-ins

MrAldo

Hey
Torterra to Stealth Rock setters offensive
Jynx to Choice Scarf users. If Mesprit is there, then Jynx should too, Jynx has an actually viable scarf set
Registeel to status absorbers and maybe Scald switch-ins
- Torterra is sadly not ranked so cant really add him back until it gets ranked again, Im still pending some cleaning on the compendium regarding that but eh... laziness :V
- Ok, seems fair
- This is iffy to me but I guess the curse rest talk set does just that. I dont know about scald switch-in just yet.

Thanks for the input *thumbs up*

Scrafty to stallbreakers imo (DD Shed Skin with Drain Punch / Rest pulls it weight pretty well imo)
With that said also add Scrafty to Scald Switch-ins due to Shed Skin again
Scrafty really only checks Slowking so it should probably be removed from Psychic checks. Meloetta will probably just click Hyper Voice if it's a Choice Specs variant and any others still carry Focus Blast anyway. Sigilyph can fall back on its Flying-type STAB / Dazzling gleam if it has it; sort of the same case with Delphox, but Fire Blasts, instead.

Ok on a less Scrafty-related note (but still tied to Scrafty in a sense), in a tier filled with threatening Dark-types like Drapion, Sneasel, Absol (to an extent), and the RegiMola breaking God known as Scrafty, I feel like a section with dedicated Dark-type checks / Knock Off switch-ins would be nice to have.

Oh yeah I've been seeing Choice Scarf Absol being pulled off rather decently a tad so maybe add it to CS revenge killers?
Lanturn to Scald switch-ins too.
And not seeing Smeargle in Stealth Rockers triggers me argh (could fit in offensive since peeps run Explosion, Nuzzle, etc)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Remove Gastrodon from fire-type checks, haze/clear smog, Scald switchins, and Curse sweepers cuz of it being unranked.

Hitmonlee could be dropped in Bulk Up. although Gurdurr usually does it better, Having that high speed and Sucker Punch is pretty cool to beat typical Gurdurr checks while also pressuring bulky teams that use Mola by Bulking Up on a Protect. Ban Me used this set for a long time and i found myself using this in a team recently.

Lilligant got ranked some time around Combusken ranking and should be added to other or create a new section for Quiver Dance.

Articuno hardly ever runs Haze so it could be dropped from that section.

Lilligant to Water checks of course

Adding a Grass checks section should probably be considered since Venusaur and Virizion ravage the tier and there are a few others like Rotom-Mow and Sceptile but I definitely think it's an influential type and deserves its own section

Maybe a bad mons section to discourage players looking back at this from using those Pokemon.

Sorry this is all scrambled up I just kind of looked and notice random things

MrAldo

Hey
Scrafty to stallbreakers imo (DD Shed Skin with Drain Punch / Rest pulls it weight pretty well imo)
With that said also add Scrafty to Scald Switch-ins due to Shed Skin again
Scrafty really only checks Slowking so it should probably be removed from Psychic checks. Meloetta will probably just click Hyper Voice if it's a Choice Specs variant and any others still carry Focus Blast anyway. Sigilyph can fall back on its Flying-type STAB / Dazzling gleam if it has it; sort of the same case with Delphox, but Fire Blasts, instead.

Ok on a less Scrafty-related note (but still tied to Scrafty in a sense), in a tier filled with threatening Dark-types like Drapion, Sneasel, Absol (to an extent), and the RegiMola breaking God known as Scrafty, I feel like a section with dedicated Dark-type checks / Knock Off switch-ins would be nice to have.

Oh yeah I've been seeing Choice Scarf Absol being pulled off rather decently a tad so maybe add it to CS revenge killers?
Lanturn to Scald switch-ins too.
And not seeing Smeargle in Stealth Rockers triggers me argh (could fit in offensive since peeps run Explosion, Nuzzle, etc)
Not enough Scrafty tbh
- Done
- Done
- Checking one Psychic type, and disregarding the usage of psychic coverage, is quite enough tbh. Plus Chople Berry allows it to handle Meloetta to an extent. It can stay there.
- A Dark Check / Knock Off Absorber section can definitely be a good idea. I will get to it later on (if more people agree on it, thats extra motivation)
- I dont like choice scarf absol, may as well add scarf houndoom if that were the case and thats maybe too much leniency...
- Lanturn, yay
- Stealth Rock Smeargle sucks, deal with it fam.

Remove Gastrodon from fire-type checks, haze/clear smog, Scald switchins, and Curse sweepers cuz of it being unranked.

Hitmonlee could be dropped in Bulk Up. although Gurdurr usually does it better, Having that high speed and Sucker Punch is pretty cool to beat typical Gurdurr checks while also pressuring bulky teams that use Mola by Bulking Up on a Protect. Ban Me used this set for a long time and i found myself using this in a team recently.

Lilligant got ranked some time around Combusken ranking and should be added to other or create a new section for Quiver Dance.

Articuno hardly ever runs Haze so it could be dropped from that section.

Lilligant to Water checks of course

Adding a Grass checks section should probably be considered since Venusaur and Virizion ravage the tier and there are a few others like Rotom-Mow and Sceptile but I definitely think it's an influential type and deserves its own section

Maybe a bad mons section to discourage players looking back at this from using those Pokemon.

Sorry this is all scrambled up I just kind of looked and notice random things
Understandable enough

- Done. RIP Gastro
- Not adding bulk up Hitmonlee
- Oh, I must have missed Lilligant getting ranked. Added to that and Water type checks section.
- Articuno is just there to have something on that section, otherwise it is looking really empty. May as well remove it if everyone is fine with it.
- Nah, not quite sure about the grass type section.
- The viability rankings exists for the bad mons

Thanks a lot :D

Edit: Made some ninja additions with regular Steelix there. Defensive Stealth Rock setter, flying resist, Roar user.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shit to add Xatu to

- Defensive Fighting Checks
- Defensive Pivots
- Haze Users (it can run it since last slot is pmuch toss up and ends up being toxic a lot just to wear down shit)
- Status Absorbers (Bounces back status moves)

Also, maybe add a small thingy saying what setup move the mons in "other" use in small text like putting this by linoone: (belly drum)

MrAldo

Hey
Shit to add Xatu to

- Defensive Fighting Checks
- Defensive Pivots
- Haze Users (it can run it since last slot is pmuch toss up and ends up being toxic a lot just to wear down shit)
- Status Absorbers (Bounces back status moves)

Also, maybe add a small thingy saying what setup move the mons in "other" use in small text like putting this by linoone: (belly drum)
Done. Thanks :)

Edit: Except for the small text, will think about cause I have to do it for every Mon in that section if thats the case :V

Hariyama to Defensive Fire checks, Fletchinder to offensive Fire checks

Why not add Diancie to defensive Psychic checks? It checks Meloetta okay as well as Sigilyph and Delphox​

Remove Trevenant from Water checks it's getting unranked prolly and I think it dropped to NU though don't quote me on that

Mega Camerupt should be in offensive Stealth rock users too not just defensive ya nub

Sneasel to Wallbreakers

And Dianxie and Aromatisse to status absorbers, they've got dat Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)