Resource ORAS RU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by atomicllamas
OP adapted from Aerow

ORAS RU Role Compendium

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS RU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role.

Below, we have the various roles an ORAS RU team might want a Pokémon to fill. For each of these roles is a list of Pokémon which can fulfill that role; all of the Pokémon listed can work at least somewhat viably as a performer of the role, but they have been ranked very roughly by how viable it would be to use a Pokémon for said role in the current metagame. If there is a Pokémon which is not listed which can perform well in a certain role, please feel free to post about it, and we may add it. However, this thread is not meant to be a place for discussion about the viability of Pokémon in general, unless a Pokémon's placement is drastically off - we have a metagame discussion thread and Viability Rankings for that.

Mega Pokemon:

Stealth Rock users:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Spikes users:

Toxic Spikes users:

Hazard Control:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Fire-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Psychic-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Fighting-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Wallbreakers:

Stallbreakers / Taunt Users:

Pivots:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Choice Scarf users:

Trappers:

Priority:

Clerics (Wish / Healing Wish / Heal Bell):

Boosting Sweepers:

Swords Dance:
Bulk Up:
Nasty Plot:
Calm Mind:
Shell Smash:
Dragon Dance:
Rock Polish:
Curse:
Baton Pass:
Other:

Broken:

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I thought that something like this would help newer players understand what each Pokemon does in the tier and what the essential elements of teambuilding in this tier are. If you have suggestions for pokemon that should be moved / added / removed from sections, let me know - I think I got a pretty good outline of the important stuff down.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a couple of quick things I've noticed that I think you should add boltsandbombers:

Kabutops as a Moltres Check (AV set came into existence almost solely for that)
Slowking as a Pivot (almost any Slowking set can do this to some degree thanks to Regenerator)
You may also want to add a section for Choice Scarf users. This would include Moltres, Rotom-C, Meloetta, Hitmonlee, Mesprit, Braviary, and Emboar among others.

Just my initial thoughts. Cool idea for sure btw.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Just a couple of quick things I've noticed that I think you should add boltsandbombers:

Kabutops as a Moltres Check (AV set came into existence almost solely for that)
Slowking as a Pivot (almost any Slowking set can do this to some degree thanks to Regenerator)
You may also want to add a section for Choice Scarf users. This would include Moltres, Rotom-C, Meloetta, Hitmonlee, Mesprit, Braviary, and Emboar among others.

Just my initial thoughts. Cool idea for sure btw.
Thanks! There's a lot of stuff to cover, I knew I wouldnt get it all.
I really dont want to add braviary as a choice scarfer because its so weak :s

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
your supposed psychic-type checks include a fuckton of set up bait for both cresselia and reuniclus. i'd remove them or mention that (steelix, zong, and registeel. the later can set up curse along their cm tho, so you might want to keep that)

separate spikes and toxic spikes users, due to their different nature. also, i'd add roselia to the spikes setters, just because ru is lacking in defensive spikes setters, but you might as well just hold on to those you've got. i also don't think that camel is on the same level as all of the other pivots, since it's easy to wear down unless paired up with alomomola or any wish user (in which case, those probably work better as pivots anyways)

add eel to moltres checks and possibly remove seismitoad (unless ppl are running sdef seismitoad, which i heavily doubt, cause being a cool offensive sr setter was the main attraction about it during late XY)

carbink should go on moltres checks and sr setters. remove moltres from set up sweepers, agility is ass (unless you're talking about sunny day)

those are the changes i'd make at a first glance, might be wrong about some tho

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
your supposed psychic-type checks include a fuckton of set up bait for both cresselia and reuniclus. i'd remove them or mention that (steelix, zong, and registeel. the later can set up curse along their cm tho, so you might want to keep that)

separate spikes and toxic spikes users, due to their different nature. also, i'd add roselia to the spikes setters, just because ru is lacking in defensive spikes setters, but you might as well just hold on to those you've got. i also don't think that camel is on the same level as all of the other pivots, since it's easy to wear down unless paired up with alomomola or any wish user (in which case, those probably work better as pivots anyways)

add eel to moltres checks and possibly remove seismitoad (unless ppl are running sdef seismitoad, which i heavily doubt, cause being a cool offensive sr setter was the main attraction about it during late XY)

carbink should go on moltres checks and sr setters. remove moltres from set up sweepers, agility is ass (unless you're talking about sunny day)

those are the changes i'd make at a first glance, might be wrong about some tho
I mean, steelix can roar them out so I guess its a soft check, but I'll remove zong because most psychic-type setup mons are either substitute users or magic guard and zong is passive as shit.
Yeah I'll remove toad and add rock with eyes, thx.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As i mentioned over VM i'd add Skuntank to hazard control and Psychic-type checks and change Moltres checks to just a general "fire-type checks" section. Moltres is really threatening but it's not like its the only relevant Fire-type in the tier.

As Arikado mentioned you should *definitely* add Pangoro to wallbreakers, i'd add Mega Camerupt, Hitmonlee, Magneton, Clawitzer, and Exploud too off of the top of my head

Add Durant to set up sweepers either in Other or in a new section for Hone Claws.

I'd also add a section dedicated to trapping consisting of Dugtrio, some common Pursuit Pokemon such as Drapion, Escavalier, and Skuntank, and *maybe* Magneton.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
As i mentioned over VM i'd add Skuntank to hazard control and Psychic-type checks and change Moltres checks to just a general "fire-type checks" section.

As Arikado mentioned you should *definitely* add Pangoro to wallbreakers, i'd add Mega Camerupt, Hitmonlee, Magneton, and Exploud too off of the top of my head
Added all of those already :o (except I forgot exploud lol)
edit: got that too

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Sandslash to SR Setters / Doublade Checks

Add Emboar to wallbreakers

Add Druddigon and possibly Dragalge to Fire-type checks

Add Tyrantrum and possibly (ehh...) Pangoro to Choice Scarf users

Amazing work here, boltsandbombers!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pearl. told me some changes he'd like you to make on Skype, but he had to go eat dinner and asked me to post the changes for him.

add regular Audino and Tangrowth to pivots

Add Heliolisk to Doublade checks

Add Sawk and Gallade to wallbreakers

Piloswine could *possibly* be added to Stealth Rock setters (not quite as relevant as the other mons on the list but it's actually p. solid given it's an extremely bulky SR setter that beats every single Defog mon and has a great STAB combination on top of it)

Barbaracle and Chatot could *possibly* be added to Shell Smash users and Nasty Plot users, respectively. Gallade could be added to the Swords Dance and Bulk Up sections too. (these two aren't really too relevant)

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Pearl. told me some changes he'd like you to make on Skype, but he had to go eat dinner and asked me to post the changes for him.

add regular Audino and Tangrowth to pivots

Add Heliolisk to Doublade checks

Add Sawk and Gallade to wallbreakers

Piloswine could *possibly* be added to Stealth Rock setters (not quite as relevant as the other mons on the list but it's actually p. solid given it's an extremely bulky SR setter that beats every single Defog mon and has a great STAB combination on top of it)

Barbaracle and Chatot could *possibly* be added to Shell Smash users and Nasty Plot users, respectively. Gallade could be added to the Swords Dance and Bulk Up sections too. (these two aren't really too relevant)
Curse Mega Steelix for set-up sweepers?
Added all except for the stuff on the last line, I dont really think that chatot / barbaracle / sd / bu gallade are relevant enough.
Iffy on curse mega steelix.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Add Meloetta to Psychic-type checks, SpD perish song beats all of those, Sub CM also beats at least Reuniclus.

This might just be me, but I personally don't think that Doublade is centralizing enough in this meta to deserve its own section of checks, especially when a lot more threatening things do not.

Also, I'd add Tyrantrum and Registeel under boosting sweepers, and Jellicent to Fire-type checks/pivots.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
This might just be me, but I personally don't think that Doublade is centralizing enough in this meta to deserve its own section of checks, especially when a lot more threatening things do not.

Also, I'd add Tyrantrum and Registeel under boosting sweepers, and Jellicent to Fire-type checks/pivots.
That's a reasonable point - can I have some more input on that?
I'll add those, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)