XY OU ORAS Stall Without Set up Sweepers

Introduction
Stall is a play style that I've always admired, but one that I never managed to master outside of toxic stalling. However, I've begun to learn the play style in the Ubers tier and decided to come back to OU. While I did play OU in early XY, much has changed, and I am not as familar with the tier as I should be, so I would like as many suggestions or as big of a threat list as possible.
---->
I was incredibly weak to Mega Sableye stall, so I either had to go from a WoWzard to an SD/BD/DDzard or make the switch to Mega-Sableye.
---->
Empoleon was wonerful, but he did nothing for my Keldeo weakness. Tentacruel was chosen because he can force switches with Acid Spreay to continue to rack up hazard damage, and win against common spinblockers, mainly Sableye.

The Team

Analyses

Inferior Rhydon (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Rhyperior has a talent for setting up rocks and maintaining them on the field. Solid Rock helps it eat up super effective hits more effectively, and Dragon Tail phases anything that has set up or allows me to shuffle to rack up hazard damage. Rhyeperior is my main form of protection against SD Talonflame, who I would otherwise be weak to. Since he doesn't have reliable recovery, Rest with cleric support allows him to continually switch in many times.

I'm Retarded (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

What can I say about this thing? It is incredibly versatile and can stall out burned threats like no tomorrow. A cleric was essential for the team to combat other stall teams and allow use of teammates without reliable recovery via Wish and Rest. Clefable was chosen due to Unaware, as many things love to set up on on half of the members used on stall teams on a switch that they can force out.

Jenny Craig (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Counter

Another invaluable member to the team. Chansey works incredibly well with Clefable, and can save me from a Gengar sweep with a simple PP Stall(mainly Focus Blast). I decided to forgo Toxic on Chansey to opt for Counter, as it is highly unexpected and can normally take out threats like Landorus and Bisharp at the cost of a potential Knock Off.
Chansey's physical bulk is generally ignored, but it can eat up an impressive amount of physical hits, especially when Wish was used on the turn that a special attacker was forced out.

252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 225-265 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 91.7% chance to 3HKO​

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 235-277 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO The wonderful thing about Landorus is that it usually goes for U-Turn, allowing me to OHKO anything that's not a ghost that switches in.

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 318-375 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO

NoHazards5U (Sableye) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Knock Off

I originally had Mega-Charizard X as my mega and burn spreader, but Mega-Sableye can do the same job even better. I actually noticed that Xzard was a massive wincon, even with a fully defensive set, as so many teams are weak to it, but he did little to help against opposing stall. I chose a utility st over the CM set because Knock Off helps identify sets on the switch, and I am not too fond of making him crit fodder.

eat me (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ferrothorn can be the star of the team most of the time. It can habitually set up spikes and force switches with Leech Seed + Protect to further rack in hazard damage. Gyro Ball is chosen over Power Whip to hit Mega-Diancie with certainty, who is a huge threat to this team. The EV spread also allows him to survive a Focus Blast from a Mega-Gardevoir, who is an even bigger threat.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Rest

My original hazard remover was empoleon, as it also had access to roar. Empoleon, however has a bigger weakness to Keldeo, and provided zero switch ins to it. While Tentacruel can still do nothing to a CM Keldeo set, it can switch in on a choiced Keldeo much more comfortably to scout. A physically defensive set is being taken into consideration.
Edit: while it seems odd, I am currently testing a phsyically defensive Mantine in place of Tentacruel with: Scald, Defog, Haze, and Rest.
I have realized that my biggest Keldeo weakness lies in the CM set, as a lot of my mons carry protect and are able to scout the specs set. Mantine can comfortably eat up a Secret Sword and gets healed by Scald or Hydro Pump. HP Electric variants are the end of me.​
Specs 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 93-110 (27.8 - 32.9%) -- 86% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Scarf 252 SpA Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 196-232 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Sub-CM
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 63-74 (18.8 - 22.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Threat List:

Again, if I am unable to burn it before setting up, he can become problematic, as Waterfall does heavy damage to Rhyperior and Clefable, and a potential Taunt or Earthquake can make Empoleon useless as well.
Diancie can come in at any time and bounce back hazards, and it can hit every member on the team for a decent amount of damage. Luckily, it lacks recovery and gets weathered down by hazards.
Both evolutions can be problematic. Not many things can switch into Yzard in the sun, and Xzard can have a field day if I didn't preserve Rhyperior well enough.
Nothing on my team with the exception of Chansey want to switch in on him. Taunt varients can be problematic, but he is usually not an issue once Focus Blast has been PP stalled.
I can normally scout choiced varients, but the Sub-CM set is currently the end of me. Testing Mantine over Tentacruel to help alleviate the weakness.
He can come in at any time and trap a very important member of the team. If i can Leech Seed him on the switch and if he isn't specs, I can normally stall him out to our near death by spamming protect.
Do these even need an explanation?

Conclusion:
The team itself in currently 20-0 on one of my testing accounts, which isn't a big feat due to low ladder and all. I don't plan using the team much until after the suspect test is over, as I have no interest to partake in the suspect testing, but will still ladder for a little bit to continue testing the team and scouting for threats and potential changes.

Importable:
Based Lawd (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest

Jenny Craig (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Counter

I'm Retarded (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

eat me (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Inferior Rhydon (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Rest

NoHazards5U (Sableye) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Knock Off​

Last edited:
Amazing team, only advice i have is replacing empoleon with romtom-w to beter deal with your main counters and to be less fighting weak. another possibilty would be zapdos with defog.

i agree, you definetly need to get zapdos and id say get rid of empoleon, you lose some special defense but you get A LOT back for it

i personaly made this set, feel free to adjust

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave

Amazing team, only advice i have is replacing empoleon with romtom-w to beter deal with your main counters and to be less fighting weak. another possibilty would be zapdos with defog.
aside from keldeo, I havent really seen any fighting types that can cause the team trouble. I have clefable to resist its main stab, and ferrothorn or rhyperior to scout for poison jab if a moonblast didnt scare it away

i agree, you definetly need to get zapdos and id say get rid of empoleon, you lose some special defense but you get A LOT back for it

i personaly made this set, feel free to adjust

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave

while zados does seem like a nice option for defog, I have instead opted for a spinner in tentacruel. I figured that a free gengar switch would be a good thing if I can score a burn, and zapdos does nothing to help against my keldeo weakness. Granted, tentacruel doesnt to do too much against keldeo, especially the sub cm set, but it fares much better than empoleon or zapdos, as it allows me to scout the choiced sets

Last edited:
Changes and descriptions have been made to accommodate threats and playstyles. Mantine is currently being tested over tentacruel to mitigate the keldeo weakness.

Manaphy wrecks you. The only check is probably clefable, but it is almost a 2hko in rain. You cant nothin to it bar just wishing and protecting. Psychic variants completely 6-0s your team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)