ORAS - The Contest Spectacular

Just want to say to say that the scarf boost and feeding system makes this way to trivial, the boost is so high that enemy with ALL points counted can't get past the first bar.

My Pokemon of choice btw is a Gardevoir named "Kerleo"(no idea why, it was a male Kirlia)

I use Calm Mind, Stored Power (Combo) Taunt and Destiny Bond (also Combo)
Taunt->Calm Mind -> Stored Power -> Taunt -> Destiny Bond

Albert.

visually stimulating
My pick for Clever Contests is my MBanette named 'Annabelle'.

Annabelle's moveset consists of: Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Feint Attack, and Destiny Bond.
(Keep in mind that Banette's moveset can also be adjusted to work with Beauty, Cute, and Tough Contests as well, due to its movepool.)

1st Turn > Shadow Sneak (makes Pokemon move 1st next turn)
2nd Turn > Feint Attack (works best if Pokemon moves 1st)
3rd Turn > Shadow Sneak
4th Turn > Feint Attack
5th Turn > Destiny Bond (A move of huge appeal, but prevents the user from making any more moves during the contest)

In Clever Contests, there is always the possibility of Trick Room (or other moves that switch the order of appeals). That is why Shadow Ball is on the moveset.
For example, if you use Shadow Sneak with Banette, and a Kirlia after you uses Trick Room, you only have a 25% chance of actually going first next turn. If you appeal Feint Attack without being first, you only get 2 ♥'s . So by having Shadow Ball just in case, you are guaranteed to get 4 ♥'s on the following turn if you aren't the first to appeal.

(I hope that made sense when reading it back)

________________________________________________________________________________

The thing about contests in ORAS is that they made everything so much simpler to the point where all you really need to do in order to win one is max out a Pokemon's condition.
It's honestly really ridiculous because they took all of the 'skill' out of contests, and replaced it with mechanics.

All you really need to do to win a contest at any rank (and category really) is to max out condition using Rainbow Pokeblocks(+).

You can complete the Master Rank of any category with just about any pokemon if you max out all of their conditions.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone found a reliable recipe for Rainbow + Pokeblocks? I found a post on reddit that claimed using Chesto, Pecha, Rawst and Aspear would do it every time, it worked on my first attempt but 20 tries later I haven't got any more (just regular Rainbow).

I'm planning to get the Contest Ribbon effect on my Counter Gengar, and figured I better max its condition for every category to make it easiest

Has anyone found a reliable recipe for Rainbow + Pokeblocks? I found a post on reddit that claimed using Chesto, Pecha, Rawst and Aspear would do it every time, it worked on my first attempt but 20 tries later I haven't got any more (just regular Rainbow).

I'm planning to get the Contest Ribbon effect on my Counter Gengar, and figured I better max its condition for every category to make it easiest
I heard that using the Starf or Lansat berries should always provide pokeblock+. I haven't actually tested them out yet since I don't have them in ORAS so I'm not quite sure if this is true.
I would suggest trying it though if you have them! Maybe combining them with custap and jacoba may help. Sorry that I wasn't much help on this.

----------

Thief, Aerial Ace, and Round (and moves like them) are probably the best moves in the contests through my experience. Like say, against Lisia in the Beauty contest and you're first, since she's most likely going to use Round, Aerial Ace is great to stop her from getting those six hearts and although you don't get the excitement boost, six hearts ain't too shabby. Got the Contest Star Ribbon on I think 7 of my pokemon because of these moves.

Just thought I would post here as I have something that may be of interest! Basically I am pretty sure that it is possible to obtain a Contest Ribbon for any Pokemon. To do this I set myself the challenge of trying to get a Contest Ribbon on my shiny Ditto (my favourite Pokemon).

The problem is that Ditto only has one move to use, Transform. This move earns 3 hearts, but obviously will earn 2 to 4 depending on the contest. This of course means that you have no choice in what you pick and in some contests will get only 2 hearts every turn and there is nothing you can do about it. The Ditto has max stats and has a different scarf for each contest.

Finally after several goes I managed to get the highest rank in all of the different contests! On some it took me 9 or 10 tries.... But the point is that it can be done if you get lucky, and it is interesting to note that the NPCs performance can vary very much depending on who is there affecting them.

I guess this post is to encourage anyone who is having trouble getting the contest ribbon and also to show my own achievement of getting it with my Ditto!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah just from maxing your condition in every category with Rainbow Pokeblocks and using the appropriate scarf you're pretty much guaranteed a win no matter what you do in the talent round, since you earn almost all the hearts you need from that alone. I'm not trying to take away from what you've achieved though coz it is still really cool.

I was finally able to finish all the contests with my CounterGar and get it the contest star. For the reasons I explained above it was really easy, just a little tedious (since I had to do everything from normal rank). I did it with a moveset of Taunt, Curse, Counter and Destiny Bond, which meant that I had to somewhat rely on the cheap hearts I earned in the introduction round to win. Since those moves are all clever and tough, I saved those comps for last, and they ended up being pretty fun as I was able to pull off mega evolving a few times which is actually cool to watch. I loved some of the nicknames that the AI contestants use, my personal favourite being Gyalaxy the Gyarados (which I might actually steal one day). I'll be going through them again to earn the contest star on a bunch of my other mons, and to also see what Lisia is like.

Here's a killer action shot of my Gengar slayin it:

Something I just noticed was that when your pokemon has max affection, pokeblocks increase their stats faster... I don't know if I imagined it, but I kept count on the number of pokéblocks that were supposed to max out my Mawile and it took more than it did for my Clefable... Only difference with both of them is that Clefable had max affection. Has anyone noticed this? (it took 10 pokéblocks for clefable, 13 for Mawile)

Use nosepass. Its the easiest way to beat masters in every category. You dont even have to change the moveset.
To get nosepass you want to go to granite cave B2f and smash some rocks. Once you catch one it should already have
block and rock throw so you only need the tm for double team and explosion.

Moves: double team, rock throw, block, explosion.

The best order is: double team> rock throw> double team> block> explosion

Dont worry about losing hearts for not being the right type because it prevents other contestants from getting a perfect appeal
and you only lose one heart anyways.

In cute contests however you want to use this order: block> double team> rock throw> block> explosion

You will get a better net gain in the appeal rounds (because block is a cute move) and you can have a good disrupt chance.
Make sure that all your contest stats are maxed out. the most cosistent way to make rainbow pokeblocks are to mix
two uncommon berries with two common berries (all different colours).

Go south of the contest hall in slateport and you will find a house with the contest chairman (he has a brown coat and hat)
inside he will give you all the colored scarves if you have max stats.

I only lost once with this combo against lisia in the cool contest. But i beat her after in the cute contest with the following moves:

block> block> double team> block> explosion

I used as many blocks as possible (even if it meant losing hearts) to disrupt lisia and so long as you get one block on lisia you can win.

Its always funny to see one of the ugliest pokemon win contests especially against a contest star like lisia :)
i hope this helps some of you!

Last edited:
I beat the Master rank contests in Cuteness with Marill, and Cleverness with Venomoth.

Marill capitalizes on using Bubble and Rollout to rack up the hearts, while Venomoth used Sleep Powder to screw over the opponents.

I can honestly say that I am so done right now... I've been trying anything that I could in order to get a nice Pokemon for tough contests, and discovered that Corsola is actually pretty handy. It can automatically learn endure, which is a great combination when paired up with its tutor move endeavor. If you have the moves Double team, endure, endeavor, and explosion it is really easy. Double team-Double team-endure-endeavor-explosion. I haven't lost a master contest yet with this strategy, and it beat a master contest when it didn't even have any pokeblocks to help its appearance!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)