XY Ubers (ORAS Ubers) ORAS Prototype Stall

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi everyone. I think most people know who I am so let's just cut to the chase. I haven't made an RMT in a long time, mostly because I've too busy and really cannot be bothered with writing up teams that don't really do much. However, seeing as ORAS just came out everyone has been stunned senseless by the admittedly OP monster known as Mega Ray, as well as its almost as OP friends in Primal Don and others, people have been predicting the death of pretty much every playstyle that isn't Mega Ray + Primal Don HO. People are calling for nerfing or banning Mega Ray before the metagame has even evolved, saying that there's no pointing in trying to adapt. I begging to differ from that mindset. So, I'm going to present you, 5 days after the release of ORAS, a stall team which most people have been predicting the death of in this new metagame.

I'm just going to make this clear now that this team is nowhere near perfect. There are a number of problems in it. It's something I only made yesterday and tested for a few games, but so far it's been able to hold. Note now that I'm not a stall player and have never been one. I've never found the playstyle fun. I'm not a guy that most people would associate as being a top player either. The point of this RMT is to wake up top players out of their Mega-Ray-induced stupor and stop moping about how ORAS kills stall, because if I can make a stall team that covers most threats in the metagame, someone is bound to be able make a far better team than this one.

Teambuilding process:

[Lugia][Mega Sableye]
So the number one threat in Ubers currently is Mega Ray, without a question. Second biggest threat is Primal Groudon. Lugia covers both of those threats quite well, but it really needs Multiscale intact to fend off Mega Ray. So, I decided that Magic Bounce would be nice to use so prolong SR off the field as much possible, at least until Mega Ray out of commission first. I wanted a Defog user too, but I decided to keep that until later when I can see how to mostly synergise one in.

[Lugia][Mega Sableye][Primal Groudon]
Specially Defensive Primal Don makes a good Kyogre and GeoXern check.

[Lugia][Mega Sableye][Primal Groudon][Xerneas]
Lugia is very susceptible to status, while Primal Don uses Rest quite often, so I thought cleric Xerneas would be a good fit heal off status. I picked Xerneas because it is like the only cleric that can kill Rayquaza in its base form before it can Mega evolve and kill something.

[Lugia][Mega Sableye][Primal Groudon][Xerneas][Arceus Rock]
I kind of wanted a Stealth Rock user that could check Ekiller, so Rockceus was a good option. Rockceus can check Mega Ray somewhat, as well as Mega Mence if anyone even uses that things these days. It also helped with a potential Ho-oh weakness (although again, only theoretical atm since I haven't seen anyone use Ho-oh atm).

[Lugia][Mega Sableye][Primal Groudon][Xerneas][Arceus Rock][Flygon]
Flygon is a real oddball here, but I needed a secondary check P Donner that could use Defog, so I was kind of out of options. Soul Dew has been confirmed, so Flygon is probably going to go as soon as Soul Dew is implemented on PS.

[Lugia][Mega Sableye][Primal Groudon][Xerneas][Arceus Rock][Latias]
Hopefully this should be what it looks like.

The team in detail:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Reflect

So the big boss bird itself. I really need to keep this thing in good condition because it just checks so many things in the game that it's really get it overwhelmed. I really hate having to use Lugia because its such bait for many things, but I think so far I'm going to have to do with what I got. So basically, with Multiscale intact, Lugia checks Mega Ray quite nicely. Reflect helps cushion their attacks while I have Multiscale intact so it can come out of the encounters relatively healthy. Toxic is so Lugia has a way to stall out P Donner without having to slap it with Dragon Tail (which does like 5% per attack, lol). I picked Dragon Tail because that way, I can damage Mega Ray and phaze it out at the same time, so it kind of compresses Ice Beam and Whirlwind into one. I haven't really bothered to tweak the EVs just yet, but max/max+ lets Lugia take on CB Mega Ray much better, so I think I'm satisfied so far.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Protect / Taunt

This Pokemon is probably the weak link of the team (Flygon gives it competition atm, but won't when I move over to Latias), but unfortunately it's absolutely vital. Otherwise, fast SR teams with shit like Deo-S would prevent Defog too easily. Still, Sableye isn't totally useless. It can check Ekiller relatively well and do relatively good damage with Foul Play and burn things. I decided to use Protect over Taunt because of how important it is to get Sableye Mega evolved against shit like P Donner. However, Taunt is kind of good to prevent other defensive Pokemon from healing.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Sleep Talk

Standard Cleric Xern with a slight twist - I crept the Speed up massively so I OHKO base Jolly Ray before it decides to attack. Otherwise, it's pretty much exactly the same. It's lost a lot of bulk, but seeing as the metagame is quite physically offensive, that loss of SpD isn't that big of an issue. I'm wondering if I should just ditch the 36 SpD and put it in Def but it's probably not big a deal. The set is pretty much the same as general cleric Xern. I'd really like stick Toxic on here tho, but it doesn't look it has the space.

So yeah, ScarfXern replaced the old Xern after people were suggesting it. Now Darkrai is slightly less of a pest. Even with a Scarf, Xerneas can still use Aromatherapy relatively well, although I miss the longetivity of RestTalk a bit. I guess you'd have to make do with these things. Moonblast and Aromatherapy were a given. Sleep Talk is nice to sponge Dark Voids with. I really had no idea what to put for the last move. Focus Blast is kind of meh and everything else sucks just as much. I decided to go with Toxic in the end just so I can catch opposing Primal Don switch-ins, otherwise I'm pretty much satisfied with no attack in that slot at all.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Credits to His Divine Immanent God Champion Lance for this holy set. Also credits to Astounded for telling me about it. Anyway, SpD P Donner is here to check Kyogre and Xerneas and does a pretty fantastic job at it. Even with no offensive investment, Lava Plume hits pretty hard, and RestTalk allows it to stick around for quite a while. I've considered using D-tail over Roar so Mega Ray doesn't get as easy a switch in, but Roar is valuable to get rid of GeoXern.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Another suggestion from Astounded. Basically, I needed an SR user that could act as a secondary Mega Ray (if it ever gets any use, Mega Mence) check. It also works nicely because it checks Ho-oh quite well (if it ever gets use, seeing how distracted everyone is with Mega Ray atm). Optimally, this would be my Defog user too, but WoW is too important to give up in this metagame. It also acts as an Ekiller check, which is always nice. I reckon between Lugia/Rockceus/Flygon(soon to be Latias), I got Mega Ray/Ekiller/P Donner side pretty well checked.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Grass Knot / Toxic / Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

So I needed a secondary P Groudon check that can Defog at the same time. I originally had Flygon, but Primal Ogre was really threatening if it came in on P Groudon. So, Latias naturally fit that role really well. Draco Meteor lets her hit Groudon really hard while OHKOing Mega Ray, while Grass Knot can hit Primal Ogre for SE damage. I'm also considering Toxic or Psyshock since GK doesn't actually hit P Ogre THAT hard. Toxic is nice in general, and Psyshock ignores Calm Minds. Latios is also an option for this slot.

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Defog

Now that Latias can be used again, she's taken over Flygon. Basically, I wanted a secondary P Donner check just in case Lugia gets overwhelmed that can Defog at the same time. Flygon is probably the only thing that could do it while Soul Dew was being implemented. If Groudon doesn't carry Dragon Claw, Flygon walls it. I picked Earth Power over EQ because even though Flygon's SpA is even shitter than its shit Atk, P Donner's Defense is WAY better than its Special Defense. Draco Meteor is there with 216 Spe to outspeed base Ray and kill it before it can be annoying.

Key Threats:
- S-tag - Yeah, a few of my support Pokemon are trapped pretty easily by Gengar (and Gohitelle, although Goth fares pretty poorly against a lot of things now, and running Mega Gengar carries a big price tag for not running Mega Ray). Fortunately, my main walls can live a hit from Gengar and escape, but having it trap something like Rockceus is never fun.
- Mega Ray - Keep SR off at all times. Keep Lugia healthy. There's not much more to it, really. It's not THAT difficult to do it most of the time.
- P Donner - I honestly think this thing is harder to deal with than Mega Ray is for this team. At Mega Ray can be OHKOed or burned by most things in the team, P Donner escapes all of those. If it carries SD + Stone Edge + Dragon Claw and it's fast, then I'm in a world of pain. I'm thinking of running enough Speed on Lugia to outspeed Jolly Don but that sacrifices a lot of bulk and makes it harder to check Mega Ray.
- Kyogre - P Ogre can be a problem if it switches into P Donner since I don't have heavy sun to protect me any more. This should be less of a problem when Soul Dew is implemented and I switch to Lati@s, although a well timed Ice Beam will still hurt like balls. It would be a lot easier to pivot tho. Scarf/Specs/SpD Leftovers are walled by P Donner
- Ekiller - Between Rockceus, Sableye and Lugia, it's not sweeping very easily at all
- GeoXern - P Donner
- Ghostceus - P Donner can check once or twice, but otherwise can be difficult to deal with. Hopefully I can at least burn and phaze.
- Mewtwo - Haven't seen one of these at all, but Y variants are taken care of by Mega Sableye and X variants are stopped by Xerneas and Lugia.
- Mega Mence - Again, haven't seen one, but Rockceus and Lugia do a good job against these
- Ho-oh - Rockceus and to an extent P Donner (can Roar it out)
- Lati@s - not implemented yet, but I'd imagine Lugia/P Donner/Xern does well against them
- Gira-O - Xerneas and Lugia does well against most of these
- Ygod - Xerneas and Rockceus
- Palkia - Xerneas and P Donner and Lugia
- Dialga - See Palkia
- Darkrai - Quite annoying since nothing on my team can outspeed it and I have no priority, altho between Xerneas and Groudon, I can sort of check it. I really do need a better answer to it, though. Much less annoying now that I have ScarfXern.

Again, credits to Astounded for giving some really good suggestions with this team! Also to zf and Fireburn for suggesting ScarfXern

Like I said, consider this team a prototype for ORAS stall. It's here to be built upon. You can steal if you want, but try to make it better because that's what I want people to do. I refuse to believe that this would be the best stall or even defensive teams in general can get in ORAS, unless people want to admit that I'm the best stall team builder in this new metagame, which would frankly be hilarious :P.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Reflect

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Protect

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Sleep Talk

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Grass Knot
- Defog
- Recover

Last edited:
I'm glad to see stall teams not dying out in ORAS, despite my inability to build one.
While Lugia is probably the best thing for pdon+mray, offensive teams can easily take advantage of the fact that if they go to their rocks setter, it forces in sableye, which isn't the bulkiest mon in the world.
Good work though. Better than any stall I've built in ORAS

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You definitely need Latias on this team because otherwise Primal Kyogre literally just wrecks it. It comes in on Primal Groudon for free and then clicks Origin Pulse and kills something since without Desolate Land you have no Water resists. You should also run Psyshock instead, I think offensive CM Primal Kyogre can take 2 Latias GKs at +1 but correct me if I am wrong.

There are a number of other glaring weaknesses (Darkrai, Ghost Arceus, Gengar) that I'm not sure how to fix, though Scarf Xerneas can help with the giant Darkrai weakness. This team does do a good job of beating the rampant Deo-S ladder teams but it relies too much on Deoxys being the SR user. HO teams with Scolipede or Greninia (means different SR user) will probably destroy this team easily since Mega Sableye does not fare well against other SR users such as Dialga or offensive Primal Groudon, and once SR goes up Mega Rayquaza will destroy you.

It's a good prototype as you said, but I think it's a bit too early to definitely say whether or not stall is truly viable since this team does still have a few big holes.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I've changed RestTalk Xern -> ScarfXern and true to my word, Flygon -> Latias. Hopefully that patches a few more things up, although S-tag and Ghostceus are still annoying.

my first oras stall is really similar to the latest version of this team so i have a few comments:
(this is the only log i have of it in action: http://pastebin.com/0v7xmjjM)
- lugia really needs to use shed shell because if gengar successfully traps and removes it, physical overload cores easily run through the rest of the team. providing pursuit support seems to be an option, but that can't be fit on this team.
- i used ferro > latias as a secondary ogre check that also acts as a secondary moonblast sponge and alleviates the ghostceus weakness a little.
- the team used to have defog rockceus (ferro sets rocks) but rockceus+ferro is really weak to pdon; ice beam toxic phydef waterceus is a passable ho-oh check that helps a little more against pdon by not being ground-weak but both of these just feel suboptimal somehow
- scarfxern is really good

i'm feeling that stall needs 2/3 of spin+defog+bounce to adequately support lugia, the 1 mon that looks to be the cornerstone of any successful stall atm

So I decided to test the new version of this team and all I can say it's pretty damn solid. It handles pretty much everything. Got to number 1 on the Ubers ladder with a record of 45-11. A lot of those matches were lost because of hax. Stone Edge critting, Rock Slide flinching, etc. Only thing I changed is Latias because I prefer the added power that Latios brings to the table but I kept the EV spread the same. So yeah good job dude aside from Latios there's really nothing I can suggest that I can think of. And oh yeah Psyshock > Grass Knot. It allows you to hit Ho-Oh and Xerneas who otherwise wall this and it still hits Kyogre hard.

Last edited:
Hi, nice team you got there. Tried a little laddering with this team since stall is undeniably much harder to play this gen. I realised that this team has some weakness to Kyu-W. It is not frequently seen now with all the mega Ray spam, but could i ask how does this team take on a Kyurem-W? Seeing how nothing on this team likes to take an Ice Beam from it (it does > 55% and so cannot switch in), how would you mitigate this problem?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
my first oras stall is really similar to the latest version of this team so i have a few comments:
(this is the only log i have of it in action: http://pastebin.com/0v7xmjjM)
- lugia really needs to use shed shell because if gengar successfully traps and removes it, physical overload cores easily run through the rest of the team. providing pursuit support seems to be an option, but that can't be fit on this team.
- i used ferro > latias as a secondary ogre check that also acts as a secondary moonblast sponge and alleviates the ghostceus weakness a little.
- the team used to have defog rockceus (ferro sets rocks) but rockceus+ferro is really weak to pdon; ice beam toxic phydef waterceus is a passable ho-oh check that helps a little more against pdon by not being ground-weak but both of these just feel suboptimal somehow
- scarfxern is really good

i'm feeling that stall needs 2/3 of spin+defog+bounce to adequately support lugia, the 1 mon that looks to be the cornerstone of any successful stall atm
He's fucked if his opp has mega gengar anyways, and shed shell lugia won't save him due to the insane amount of shit it can remove. And not having lefties allows lugia to get overwhelmed by the other threats that it's supposed to check.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I think just be glad we've not worked out a way to make use of shadow tag in this metagame lol. Double edged sword of trying to build so early on

I came to comment on this because I stressed the concept of Magic Bouncer + Lugia before. Hence, I am not going to comment on these two mons.

But what I do what to comment on is that if Primal Groundon goes down, your team has a hard team against bulky steel types such as Ferrothorn and Jirachi. Though, it helps that your Primal Groudon can restore itself with rest to prolong its life, it is the team primary special sponge which needs to take quite a bit from Kyogre, Xerneas and the likes.

Your Xerneas set is a gimmick that does not work. I recommend replacing it with the standard specially defensive set with Moonblast, Rest, Sleep Talk, and Aromatherapy. Not only does this gives a stall team more defensive powess but also multiple opportunities to heal the team of status aliments. While Mega-Gengar is still around, it is use less obviously because of Mega-Rayquaza so I believe this set is good in general.

Arceus-Ground > Arceus-Rock

A set that I invented for Arceus-Ground is the following:

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Timid Nature
196 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
~Judgment
~Will-O-Wisp
~Defog
~Recover

Enough SAtk to ohko Primal Groudon, can emergency check Mega Rayquaza, takes care of support Dialga and can emergency check Ekiller among other things. Only thing is, you can't touch Ho-oh and Primal Kyogre is a pain switching into WoW. (Although Will-O-Wisp should be able to pierce Primal Kyogre, still waiting for confirmation if it's a PS! mistake).

To mitigate the problem with Ho-oh, you can add a defensive Tyranitar with rest or use a Mega Rayquaza to just Ohko anything with weak physical defense because wynant.

Hope this helps

- Toshhy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I forgot to actually rate the team:

Performance: ****
Creativity: **
Originality:
Enjoyment: ***

Overall: **

P.S you might want to try double status Lugia

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)