ORAS UU: The Next Best Thing (New Version Coming Soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hikari; stolen and edited from Bouff/Mazz

The Next Best Thing
(someone hook us up with a dank pic please :])

What is this?:
The Next Best Thing is a project where the community digs through a featured Pokemon's movepool and crafts novel sets under the objective of beating some of its common checks and counters. Through this project in the past, relatively hidden Pokemon sets between ADV and BW like SD Lucario in DPP OU or Sub-Disable Gengar in BW OU have ended up taking the respective metagames by storm. More recently in XY UU, Pursuit-trapping Mega Aerodactyl and SubCM Chandelure became very popular options as a result of this project, courtesy of Sage of the 6 and Calloflochie. Not every set that the community comes up in the project with will become metagame defining, however. In fact, a mass majority of new Pokemon sets made here won't end up becoming very popular in the end, which is okay.

The Process:
Each week, I will choose a different Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current UU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next Pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:
Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Virizion does nothing to show any untapped potential Virizion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Virizion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Iron Head over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular Pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

So remember these two three important rules:
  • Feel free to be as creative as you want, just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if they do not appear much different from each other.
  • Do not change your set after voting phase has started.
  • DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS DO NOT RESERVE SETS ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RESERVE YOUR FUCKING SETS
If you do not know which sets are standard, click here for the link to analyses.

I also set up a poll that will determine whether you guys allow me to vote. If you guys end up allowing me, my vote will only count for one vote, for all equality purposes.

That's about it! Our test subject for this week will be...
there ain't nothing in here

Courtesy of: my shit ass jokes
Whimsicott

You guys have until the upcoming Saturday (11:59 EST) to make your sets. HAPPY SETBUILDING! :]
Voting phase will go from Saturday (12:00 EST) until Monday (11:59 EST) so incase I don't make some kind of post regarding the voting phase, feel free to vote anyways. I suppose y'all can wait for me to make the announcement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
Hall of Fame

This is where winners (and their trophies), as well as their winning sets will be placed in.

Mamoswine @ Salac Berry
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard / Endeavor

Mamoswine forces a lot of switches if you hadn't noticed. This set when combined with a couple things to lure its normal checks and counters can sweep fairly easily. The premise is to weaken stuff like Forretress, Bronzong, Rotom-H, etc with other mons and then to sub down to either salac or a free sub. Endeavor can be used to provide some reverse support where Mamo can whittle the opposition instead of its teammates. Ice Shard is really hard to pass up though, so it gets the nod here. But ya, sub down on a switch and either keep going until you're a fast pigmammoth or until they give you a sub for free, its a win win so long as the opposing scarfers are gone and the checks are weakened.

hogg's drawing skills imho.png
Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power Fire

Pretty simple - Ice is a really nice attacking type, so enjoy firing off ridiculously strong Blizzards, with Giga Drain for recovery and Water types. HP Fire is for Doublade and Forry, who otherwise wall you, but if your team has trouble with Empoleon then EQ works as well.

EVs let you outspeed uninvested base 70s, with the rest going to mixed offenses and minimizing SR damage.

pink blob ayy.jpg

Slate.'s set
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Magic Coat
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Much of what gives Reuniclus trouble and what allows many pokemon to beat it that wouldn't otherwise beat it is the usage of Taunt or Encore, allowing certain pokemon like Jellicent, Whimsicott and Taunt Aerodactyl to actually beat Reuniclus 1v1 by shutting down its recovery and boosting moves. Fortunately, the pokemon gods have graced Reuniclus with Magic Coat, which has +4 priority, meaning it outprioritizes every Taunt and Encore user in the game and reflects back their own moves. This means Whimsicott can't Encore you and Taunt users can't Taunt you because of Magic Coat and it means that only attacks are going to be able to break through Reuniclus. Unfortunately it means you have to resort to just using Psyshock as your only move and you are shut down by certain Dark-types, but the ability to shut down so many would-be checks is priceless.
LilOuOn's set
Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Future Sight
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Ahhh, here it comes. Assault Vest Regenerator Reuniclus is just a lord. I've been using this set since late XYUU and it still works the same way it used to. Assault Vest isn't just there because yeah, it actually makes Reuni an amazing pivot, allowing it to come into almost any special attacker for free (bar Hydra and Chandelure) and then just attack or switchout and gain the lost HP. It just never dies.

hogg's drawing skills v2.png
I've been keeping this set a big seeeekrit, because I like surprises, but I also like crudely drawn MS Paint trophies!

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 208 HP / 136 Atk / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Mono-attacking DD RestTalk Feraligatr, because I wanted to be able to switch into stuff like CroCune, boost until I caught a burn (at which point they usually think it's safe to set up) and then Rest off the burn.

I'm on mobile right now, but the spread is pretty specific. In particular, the Speed always puts you ahead of Adamant Gatr, and at +1 means you outspeed 212+ Crobat. (It also of course covers slower things like Pidgeot.) The Attack is enough to always 2HKO Suicune from full at +6 in case you get into set-up wars, with the rest in bulk.

Expect edits, including replays and damage calcs, to come!

overdue af c-xpress.png
Sharpedo (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Specific moveset dedicated more to lure Bulky-waters than late-cleaning in general (but it's possible to clean later as well). It's particularly useful when paired with Toxic Spikes, so Pokémon like Florges or Porygon2 are forced to lose momentum, because of residual damage. Thanks to Destiny Bond, Sharpedo can support his teammates as well, if he doesn't look too useful vs a specific matchup (for example, you can Destiny Bond a potential P2 or Cobalion, opening more space for Feraligatr or Salamence to clean whenever the opp carries a combination of Grounded Poison-type + walls against more Bulky | Balanced teams, while Sharpedo itself tries to pull a sweep against more Offensive-oriented matchups). But it's pretty important to not reveal it too soon, since it's a high-risk / reward obviously.

the haymaker p2.png
Palkia2/Sandra Bullock (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic/Download
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- ZAP Cannon
- Gravity
- Recover

Step 1: Set up Gravity. That's right, Gravity. Step 2: Click the appropriate powered-up BoltBeam move to rip chunks out of your opponent's team. Both Blizzard and Zap Cannon pack a bigger punch than Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, which can catch opponents by surprise, especially if they are expecting a defensive set. With them, Porygon2 nabs several nice KOs, including an OHKO on standard Donphan with Blizzard and a guaranteed 2HKO on defensive Tentacruel with Zap Cannon, factoring in Analytic and Black Sludge recovery. Of course, this set shines on the rare Gravity team, which actually has great potential in UU. This set synergizes well with the Nidos, Mamoswine, and even Ampharos, among others. Porygon2 can set up Gravity multiple times and offers both offensive and defensive glue to Gravity teams that is much appreciated, while still being pretty self-sufficient. Just pair it with a Knock Off absorber and a status absorber or cleric.

The EVs maximize power and mixed bulk, with 8 Speed EVs to creep Donphan, especially nice for rare AV sets, and offensive M-Amphy, making them easier to handle. Analytic is usually better because it is more consistent and is threatening, rather than useless, when switching into Pokémon like Tentacruel. However, Download is high-risk, high-reward because the boost is noticeably bigger. For example, offensive Mega Ampharos is always OHKOed by +1 Blizzard after Stealth Rock.

Edit: After playing around with this set some more, I realized I'd carelessly forgotten that P2 gets the rage-inducing gem called Zap Cannon and should be spamming its 83% accuracy under Gravity. It's probably the best part of the set. It just wrecks and cripples teams, and lets you beat some switch-ins before they can even attack back. Due to the guaranteed paralysis, Porygon2 can dish out serious damage with an Analytic-boosted Zap Cannon followed up with another one or a Blizzard. Alternatively, if the accuracy bothers you that much, especially outside of Gravity, Thunder can still be used, but under Gravity, Zap Cannon has a respectable 83% accuracy, although a guaranteed hit can be important.

Power-Up-Punch Sweeper
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

Power up punch opens up doors to turn some of those nasty 2Hkos into 1Hkos! Coupled with rain dance and plus one this monster can not be stopped! With Swampert's wall breaker speed you don't even have to set up the rain dance to do damage. You can easily revenge kill something with Pup and proceed to kill the next poke with a over powered earthquake!

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine @ Salac Berry
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard / Endeavor

Mamoswine forces a lot of switches if you hadn't noticed. This set when combined with a couple things to lure its normal checks and counters can sweep fairly easily. The premise is to weaken stuff like Forretress, Bronzong, Rotom-H, etc with other mons and then to sub down to either salac or a free sub. Endeavor can be used to provide some reverse support where Mamo can whittle the opposition instead of its teammates. Ice Shard is really hard to pass up though, so it gets the nod here. But ya, sub down on a switch and either keep going until you're a fast pigmammoth or until they give you a sub for free, its a win win so long as the opposing scarfers are gone and the checks are weakened.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

(Changing set Yabo bet me to it :[[)So as I looked though this Gods movepool I noticed not really anything super creative until I font out it got Endure <3. Mamoswine one of its main problems is its doesn't hit hard enoug so it's easily revenges killed will thanks to Liechi and Endure it guarted to live a Move and get in its Liechi range. I choose Oblivious as its the better ability for this IMO preventing taunted for making this set useless. Ice shard is still use as its still needed to kill like Mienshoa that run Choice Scarf EQ and Icicle Crash have good type covering Working together amazingly though you can run icicle Spear to Fuck up sash users. This is better use late game when the Oppents Pokemon are weakens and also appriates Sticky Web support. Thanks for looking at this lol I couldn't think of anything besides maybe Freeze Dry that's really that creative

Mamoswine @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Oblivious
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Last edited:
Yo I cant find the Mamoswine analysis. King UU is suppose to be working on it. I don't know if my set is standard or not

fk u YABO

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Roar
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash / Stone Edge / Superpower / Knock Off

Two things about Mamoswine: It forces switches often, and common switchins such as Suicune are just short of being KO'd after hazards. With Roar, Mamoswine can rack up hazards damage on mons that would allow it and its teammates to secure crucial KOs, as well as force momentum loss when they are roared out into a mon that gives you another free hit.

Also makes sure stuff like Beedrill doesn't get a free mega evolution on it, clerics can't wishpass for free, etc.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 133-157 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 133-157 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Also dingbat put something in the OP about changing sets pls

Last edited:

Substitute + Endeavor Mamoswine

Mamoswine @ Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard / Icicle Crash
- Endeavor

This set works in two ways: It weakens defensive pokemon by using Endeavor for its other teammates, and it breaks offensive checks by revealing Custap Berry and having insane power with STAB Earthquake. If you bring Mamoswine in on a pokemon it can force out, like a Mega Ampharos, you can sub on the switch and then use the appropriate move based on the defensive pokemon they bring out: If the opponent chooses to send out a defensive counter, such as Suicune or Rotom-H, you can either a) use Substitute again to build up more Endeavor damage or b) go for Endeavor to do quite a bit of damage instantly. If your opponent brings out an offensive pokemon, if it is immune to Earthquake you have the option of getting off a free Ice Shard and doing solid damage to Ground immunities (or you can run Icicle Crash to guarantee that you do a lot more damage, if not OHKOing it instantly) and if you're running ice shard, getting off 2 free ice shards on said defensive pokemon. With an Adamant nature, you're going to be 2HKOing pokemon such as Hydreigon, Mowtom, Shaymin (with rocks, it's guaranteed) and Whimsicott, and if you pack Icicle Crash you're going to be OHKOing those pokemon right off the bat. Not to mention if you Ice Shard the Hydreigon once the opponent may go to a pokemon like Suicune or Swampert, in which case you can spam sub again and then endeavor when you get down to 1HP. It does an even more solid job at wallbreaking than the offensive set does just by virtue of the fact that it has the ability to bring any defensive pokemon down to 1HP for free as long as your opponent doesn't know what you're doing. Some calcs vs. offensive pokemon, with adamant no LO:

252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 146-174 (42.8 - 51%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 204-242 (78.7 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-C: 134-162 (55.6 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 168-198 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(I really don't feel the need to include too many calcs, considering the set is fairly straightforward and does what it's meant to do. Most people already know how strong Mamoswine is, so I'll give LO calcs vs. the same pokemon to show the difference, Jolly of course.)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 174-205 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 242-289 (93.4 - 111.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-C: 164-195 (68 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 198-234 (65.7 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mamoswine experiences a decent loss in power based on that set but it really isn't enough to render it useless in terms of wallbreaking, especially considering the power of Custap + Substitute + Endeavor. This set may seem similar to Yabo's own but the premise of the set is completely different: Instead of being focused on sweeping, the idea of this set is to break at least one pokemon each game, whether it be a defensive pokemon or a speedy offensive check, based on your teams needs in the game. The surprise factor and power of it are what makes it a great set.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
LOL i actually ran this one for a botw a long time ago

mamo @ light clay
jolly max atk / spe
thick fat / oblivious
earthquake
ice shard / stealth rock
reflect
light screen

it's actually not nearly as bad as it sounds because mamo forces tons of switches and most of the time it's into walls so it gets up one screen on the switch and another before the opponent attacks. it's really team dependent obviously since you can't just slap this on any team, but the surprise factor is pretty cool.

I doubt this will win but I still find it amusing that this thing gets screens lol

Mamoswine @ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Natural Gift
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Icicle Crash/Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

One of Mamoswine's biggest problems is the fact that it can not reliably beat the tiers bulky waters without sacrificing a bit of Attack investment. Natural gift allows it to outdamage some mons such as Suicune than with Freeze-Dry. Plus if they don't have a water type, then Liechi can be used to boost its attack.
some calcs:

Suicune: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 144-170 (35.6 - 42%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 133-159 (32.9 - 39.3%) -- 10.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Feraligatr: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 218-258 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Feraligatr: 166-198 (53.3 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vaporeon: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 204 HP / 248+ Def Vaporeon: 216-256 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 204 HP / 56 SpD Vaporeon: 148-174 (32.7 - 38.4%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Blastoise: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 188-222 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 133-159 (36.7 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Slowking: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 218-258 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Slowking: 117-140 (29.7 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Swampert: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 340-400 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 328-390 (81.7 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

dingbat

snek
Just one clarification about changing sets:

I'm going to allow set changing during the set creating phase if you feel you have a more effective set that no one else has posted-- however if I find that things get really messy, I will be forced to enforce the rule that "once your set is posted, you are not allowed to change it." One thing is for certain, though: ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGING YOUR POKEMON SET AFTER VOTING STAGE STARTS!

If you do decide to change sets, put hide tags around the set you originally posted, and edit in your new set, unhidden ofc. Others contestants will be free to take your original set, though.

OP has been updated to reflect the latter rule.

Continue the set dumping!

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine @ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Natural Gift
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Icicle Crash/Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

One of Mamoswine's biggest problems is the fact that it can not reliably beat the tiers bulky waters without sacrificing a bit of Attack investment. Natural gift allows it to outdamage some mons such as Suicune than with Freeze-Dry. Plus if they don't have a water type, then Liechi can be used to boost its attack.
some calcs:

Suicune: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 144-170 (35.6 - 42%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 133-159 (32.9 - 39.3%) -- 10.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Feraligatr: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 218-258 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Feraligatr: 166-198 (53.3 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vaporeon: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 204 HP / 248+ Def Vaporeon: 216-256 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 204 HP / 56 SpD Vaporeon: 148-174 (32.7 - 38.4%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Blastoise: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 188-222 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 133-159 (36.7 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Slowking: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 218-258 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Slowking: 117-140 (29.7 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Swampert: 252 Atk Liechi Berry Mamoswine Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 340-400 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 328-390 (81.7 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
every single mon you mentioned gets beaten flat out by 2 eqs (gatr, vap, slow king, mega toise) or lose with only a bit of prior damage (swampert and cune)

LilOu

PO poopyhead
^ yeah, I don't see a reason to use that. A supereffective Liechi Berry Natural Gift does about 4% more than a Life Orb boosted Earthquake, generally outclassing Liechi, as it also boosts the other moves and lets Mamo run rocks or whatever other move over NG. The only scenario where I see it working is vs. mons that are x4 weak to Grass, such as Swampert and Quagsire, but it's not worth it imo.

So how do you take a Pokemon with good HP, but otherwise meh bulk, and turn it into a fearsome creature (well, I say fearsome, but only stall and maybe balance fear the thing). Well, give it curse, silly. Basically, this thing focuses on the surprise factor of not having this thing not trying to screw over your team at the start. Max HP and max SpD is probably the best choice of action, as curse will fix its defenses right up. Sadly, this thing still loses to Cune and most other bulky waters without any boosts in attack, but it does do a few things. for one, it can set up a bit on florges, blissey, and other stall mons, it can dispel annoying status with rest, and it's dual stabs continue to hurt like hell. Replays will be added later (might be unreliable, as it's on a low ladder alt)

Surprise, MotherFucker! (Mamoswine) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rest
- Curse

Famo (Mamoswine) @ Chesto Berry / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 152 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Earthquake / Icicle Crash / Ice Shard

Yay, another curse set! This I like to call BulkSwine (WIP). With enough HP to make its terrible defenses worthwhile, mamo can soak up a lot of damage before destroying opponents with its great attack stat. The point of this strat is to remove all of Mamo's threats (fighting types or those that can use fighting moves and bulky waters) and destroy after setting up. Mamo's insane bulk lets it set up on almost all non-fighting, water, or grass types in UU. It also forces many switches that allow it to set up on said mons, even after SR. Curse makes Atk and Def go up, wich actually makes it viable to 1v1 Mega-Swampert (outside of rain) and Cobalion if you already have a Curse up. Amnesia destroys special attackers. Doubling SpD, Amnesia helps Mamo fight against SpAtk-ers. Rest allows mamo to regain health and pairs well with Chesto. Lum Berry can be used instead to protect agianst burns that wittle down health. The last move is up to you. If you have a Pók that can destroy fliers/levitators (*cough feraligatr *cough) then EQ is the best option to OHKO steels that stand in Mamo's way, though Icicle Crash and Shard have no immunities associated with them. Even a resisted hid takes a lot from a +6 Icicle Crash. The set details are to maximize bulk against UUs most fearsome attackers and fire back as hard as possible.

Note that to set up risk free with stealth rocks up, these are the percentages the first blow must hit if the opponent is slower than you:
For Special, 58% (x+\frac{1}{2}x<88)
For Physical, 52% (x+\frac{2}{3}x<88)

252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Mamoswine: 253-298 (59.6 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Mamo has a 30% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Mamoswine: 208-246 (49 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Mamo has a 30% chance to OHKO)

252 SpA Heliolisk Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Mamoswine: 282-334 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Mamo OHKOs)

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Mamoswine: 194-230 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (With burn you lose if SR is up)

252+ Atk Darmanitan Superpower vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Mamoswine: 306-360 (72.1 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Mamo OHKOs)

The last 3 calcs are just some of the examples where setting up is not the best option, though against many other pokemon, it is.

Of course, the EV spread is really what makes this set different and the Curse+Amnesia is really just flair that can be viable. Another movest could be:

@ Choice Band / Expert Belt / Leftovers
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off / Superpower

Avalanche is great because Mamo is slow, EQ hits really hard and has good coverage, Ice Shard has priority, and Knock off cna do wonders in the right situation. Superpower can be used instead for coverage

Hope you guys like it!

tl;dr: It's like fatmence but fatmamo... Famo... I FIGURED IT OUT

Last edited:
nothing super innovative but

Mamoswine (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Toxic
- Knock Off / Icicle Crash / Stone Edge / Superpower

preferably use sash but life orb if ur team has other leads. Toxic for catching bulky waters on the switch like suicune and swampert, blastoise, CRESSELIA, mandibuzz kinda since ur ice stab is ice shard, also physically defensive p2 and any fat mons really. Puts pressure on stall teams to heal bell/aroma, giving you more turns to switch or knock off. Stone edge can be used to nail rotom-h, and superpower can be used to beat toxiced p2 one on one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)