ORAS UU Type Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Alright guys voting is over for Same-Type week! YABO wins with 11 votes, Aquadext comes in at 2nd with 9 while Dr Ciel gets a nice 7 votes at 3rd, so congrats to them and thanks to everyone that participated! This week's type core will be
, it's also our first Type Core featuring the Ice-type, good luck!

Aquadext 9
YABO 11
Dr Ciel 7
NV 3
Cyndequil 1
Eeyore 2
TSR 1
Do A Bibarel 2
Accelgor 2

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Reserving Heliolisk / Swampert / Cloyster

Okay, so this isn't the BEST core ever, but it's actually a decent offensive core. Heliolisk synergizes really well with Mega Swampert thanks to the Rain healing up Heliolisk thanks to Dry Skin and Heliolisk' ability to use THUNDER and counter bulky waters for Swampert. Cloyster may have a bad rap due to low ladder, but it's still a pretty decent mon due to it's ability to sweep with Shell Smash or crush a potential wall with Explosion. I use Hydro Pump to hit physically defensive mons like Mega Aggron for big damage. This core has problems with some stuff, like Grass types, but it's overall a cool offensive core that I've been liking.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot / Surf

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Cloyster @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Explosion

Last edited:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 216 HP / 96 SpA / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Mamoswine, an unbelievably unutilized mon due to the nature of "Bulky Water: the tier: the movie" has the ungodly unity of Ground and Ice, allowing it to effectively take on Grass, Flying, Steel, and Fire simultaneously, three of which it should be weak to. Ice Shard provides priority, taking on faster threats, and hitting incredibly strong while holding a Life Orb, while Knock Off is used for utility, as well as crippling Reuniclus and . With the highest attack out of Ground-Types in the tier, wall breaking is the name of the game. It is good to note however that Adamant allows for the ability to OHKO Crobat and Honchkrow with Ice Shard after rocks, but Jolly allows us to outspeed Jolly Gatr and Adamant Heracross, both of which otherwise can easily take it down.

Gastrodon, also being a Ground-Type heralds the incredible defensive typing of Water/Ground. With amazing bulk, and Storm Drain's instant reward into a switched Water-Type, it takes all forms of the strongest attackers in the tier. Scald and Earth Power give good coverage, but it's Toxic and Recover that Gastro finds its niche.

Zapdos then, fills in the last puzzle piece. Its main role is a defogger, but its ability to Pressure-stall annihilates the many 8 or 16 PP moves that hit the tier, most notably Draco's from Hydreigon. STAB T-bolt and Heat Wave is a good duo, and stronger than the common HP Grass, as Gastrodon takes on Swampert just fine.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+
+

This originally stemmed from Legacy Raider's win in Week 30 of Matchmaking, but it is a very effective core nonetheless.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Toxic / Defog
- Roost

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast

Zapdos and Swampert are a very effective core together as Swampert takes on the Ice- and Rock-type attacks aimed at Zapdos while Zapdos handles Grass-types very well thanks to Heat Wave and its part Flying typing. Mega Abomasnow rounds out this core as not only does it synergizes amazingly with Swampert and Zapdos both, but it also provides a way to passively wear down the opponent thanks to Hail. Abomasnow also takes on pesky Dragon-types as well as Swampert in general, allowing Zapdos to forgo Hidden Power coverage for Toxic to rack up even more passive damage on the opponent when coupled with Hail. While the sets seem standard, these three form a really decent defensive backbone for any team as they are able to support one another while also dishing out damage via Toxic, Hail, and powerful attacks. Defog is another option on Zapdos should you so need a Defogger / lack a place elsewhere on the team to fit hazard control.

Last edited:
Nidoqueen / Zapdos / Mega Abomasnow

Sets

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Roar

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Nidoqueen is a great lead in the current meta due to the combination of natural bulk, typing and movepool. Nidoqueen is a safe lead for a fair amount of standard leads, countering Galvantula, Cobalion, Zapdos, Crobat and Mega-Beedrill. I prefer running Special bulk on my Nidoqueen to give it more life later on in the match, but Physical defense would sync up better with this core due to the fact that it will not want to take any Physical Fire or Rock move in general. Roar deals any setup sweepers you can encounter

Defensive Zapdos is a staple for many teams due to a good defensive typing, access to a reliable recovery move in Roost and access to Defog to remove hazards that would otherwise widdle down this core. Discharge is on this set because the extra chance of paralysis can be vital to the flexibility that this core can give a potential team. The difference between Thunderbolt and Discharge is only a 10 Base damage difference but Discharge give the same amount paralysis chance as Scald. Heat Wave is on this simply for a lack of a better move.

Abomasnow-Mega is an absolute threat to anything that doesn't resist it's STABs. Abomasnow only needs a single Swords Dance to start putting absolutely massive amounts of hurt on any pokemon willing to take a move. Due to a great amount of natural bulk. This makes Abomasnow a great pivot when it can come on moves like Hydro Pump or Surf where it can easily tank one and then Swords Dance on a switch.

Nidoqueen and Abomasnow actually synergize very well, with Nidoqueen setting up Stealth Rocks to weaken up some walls such as Arcanine that Abomasnow might have trouble breaking through. Zapdos is for defogging Rocks on your side so Abomasnow won't need to take 25% on switch in, and possibly paralyze an opponent to take even more pressure off of Abomasnow.

Last edited:
+
+

Oh hi, I feel like Glalie deserves more attention in this meta so I wanted to include him in a core. I added defensive pert to fix his obvious problem with fire mons and goes hand in hand with his weakness to fire/rock/steel, it also deals with the obvious steels such as forretress, doublade etc. and is also a clear answer to dactyl. To fix his issue to fight mons such as lucario and cobalion I added zapdos, who also rounds up the coverage towards grasses who may annoy swampert, helps deal with some waters and is also a good defogger, since glalie doesnt like hazards at all.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Super Fang
- Freeze-Dry

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge/Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

As for the sets I wanted to try the super fang+freeze dry combination for glalie, it can actually deal with stuff like momola or cune, and also opposing swampert, since as you can see I'm not running any hp grass on zapdos, so this core would otherwise struggle with pert a bit. There's nothing much to say for the rest except my personal choice about discharge>tbolt just because some para would be nice for glalie, but it could be changed I guess. Hope you liked it.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Alright guys, this project is now back on track and voting is now over for the
cores! NV wins with an astounding 11 votes while Eeyore gets runner-up with 3 votes. Grats to them and thanks to everyone that participated! This weeks type core will be:
Good luck! :]

You may also use Gyarados in this round if you'd like

NV 11
Garchomp for pres 1
Eeyore 3

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Tornadus
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

OG STUNNA (Servine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Glare

Here is a fire Sticky Webs offensive core that I have never lost with (currently 103-0 with this core). It features the always threatening LO Galvantula to break walls, and more importantly, lay Webs for Servine. Servine is really slow, so it needs Webs. The beauty of this is that even if Webs get bounced, Servine gets a boost due to Contrary. Anyway, Tornadus is here to punish Defog with Defiant. Also gives U-Turn support since Servine is frail. I implore you all to try this core, as it is unstoppable when played correctly.

reserving gyara mega scep zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce/Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest/Timid Nature
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

This is a fine core featuring Gyarados, my favorite drop Zapdos, and UU recently in love mon Mega Sceptile. Those 3 work great together, covering most of each other weakness and breaking thru each other counters until you can finally sweep.

Toxic Zapdos wears down most of UU rockers while Defog guarantee no hazards on your side of the field. Mixed Defensive Zapdos is an amazing wall thanks to its typing and 90/90/90 defenses, which let him take on most attackers, physicals or specials, lacking a super effective move to it. Tbf, after playing several battles with it, I'd say only the Nidos are a safe switch in for this thing. Thunderbolt is the move of choice, but Discharge is a damn good option, with that 30% chance to paralize your opponent and give you free turns.

Gyarados is UU most recent drop, and is imo a great asset for balance teams, being able to check Mamoswine, something balance needed desperately for a long time. I'm using a bulky DD set with Leftovers, 88 EVs on HP let Gyarados confortably setup on most physical attackers after Intimidate, with 228 EVs on Spe putting it on the same speed tier as Adamant Gatr. +1 outspeed Noivern and everything below it, and after +2 not even Scarf Mienshao can get you. The choice between Bounce and Earthquake (or other options like Ice Fang) depends pretty much on the rest of the build, but I'd stick with Bounce just for STAB.

Last but not least, Mega Sceptile. Thanks to Lightning Rod, Mega Sceptile is able to prey on the few electric mons that can somehow stop Gyarados. Besides that, Modest Sceptile is a fantastic wallbreaker, being incredibly hard to switch on if you don't have a dedicated special wall like Florges or Blissey. Timid Sceptile is a good mon too, as you can outspeed a few more things, but I rather stick with Modest for damage. Energy Ball is an option over Giga Drain if you wanna damage, and everything else is standard, with Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast and Leaf Storm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)