Other Metagames Rules and Regulations - →READ BEFORE POSTING←

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you supposed to feel out interest somewhere other than OM Submissions before making a thread in it or anything of the sort?

Are you supposed to feel out interest somewhere other than OM Submissions before making a thread in it or anything of the sort?
A generally good idea is to ask the Other Metas room on PS! or the #othermetas IRC if they think there could be interest for it, but this isnt always indicative of whether or not it will be accepted

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shifters.3497492/ is similar to and yet not the same as the idea I have in mind, which leaves me unsure of the protocol. I'd rather not submit my idea and have people think I'm stepping on The Eevee General's toes. I have no idea the appropriate approach here.
You can always PM the creator (in this case me) to clear it with them first if you're unsure. The submission thread already sees a lot of similar ideas, however, and as long as you address concerns that it's like another OM but still different and list the reasons, no one is going to accuse you of a rip-off.

I had this idea for an OM, and I think this is the right place to post it.

Its basically like AAA, but Pokémon can have 2 abilities at the same time. (This might be already implemented somewhere, but I didn't see it.) Other than OU and AAA rules, some things that should be considered are additions to clauses, such as Evasion clause adding abilities like Snow Cloak to the list, and moves like Role Play, Skill Swap, and Entrainment, along with Trace, need to be able to work (replacing both abilities) or being banned altogether. Also, a rule that could be in place is that a Pokémon has to be able to naturally get one of the abilities that you want it to have, or maybe even both if you're really trying to take some fun out of it. XD
Some powerful combos include:

Gale Wings + Aerilate* Priority Explosion
Sand Stream/Sand Rush + Sand Force Powerful Sandstorm sweeper
Dark Aura + Tough Claws Absol sweep! :D
Prankster + Infiltrator Not even Substitute can save you
Regenerator + Natural Cure U-Turn/Volt Switch wall?
Truant + Klutz Skill Swap wreckage
Contrary + Speed Boost* Mega Charizard Y used Overheat

So, I know that I would play this metagame, (and I have this feeling that I forgot something,) but if you guys have any comments, I would love to hear them.

* Banned from AAA, with good reason.

I had this idea for an OM, and I think this is the right place to post it.

Its basically like AAA, but Pokémon can have 2 abilities at the same time. (This might be already implemented somewhere, but I didn't see it.) Other than OU and AAA rules, some things that should be considered are additions to clauses, such as Evasion clause adding abilities like Snow Cloak to the list, and moves like Role Play, Skill Swap, and Entrainment, along with Trace, need to be able to work (replacing both abilities) or being banned altogether. Also, a rule that could be in place is that a Pokémon has to be able to naturally get one of the abilities that you want it to have, or maybe even both if you're really trying to take some fun out of it. XD
Some powerful combos include:

Gale Wings + Aerilate* Priority Explosion
Sand Stream/Sand Rush + Sand Force Powerful Sandstorm sweeper
Dark Aura + Tough Claws Absol sweep! :D
Prankster + Infiltrator Not even Substitute can save you
Regenerator + Natural Cure U-Turn/Volt Switch wall?
Truant + Klutz Skill Swap wreckage
Contrary + Speed Boost* Mega Charizard Y used Overheat

So, I know that I would play this metagame, (and I have this feeling that I forgot something,) but if you guys have any comments, I would love to hear them.

* Banned from AAA, with good reason.
First off if you want to post an idea later post it in submissions. Second this OM is impossible to play on showdown(or similar non official servers).

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there an index for all OMs so I would know if a meta has already been submitted?

Regarding the new 20-post minimum, does that mean in general or in the Other Metagames forum specifically? It's a little unclear from the announcement.

EV

Banned deucer.
Regarding the new 20-post minimum, does that mean in general or in the Other Metagames forum specifically? It's a little unclear from the announcement.
It is for users submitting a metagame specifically in the submissions sub-forum.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Is there anywhere where it would be appropriate to mention on here that I'm holding a server that's supporting OMs not supported on main (and its own pet mod [sorta] - not yet implemented, but not exactly a pet mod I don't think either - it's also been disapproved once or twice for being submitted, but once it's completed and implemented I'll try again)?

Is there anywhere where it would be appropriate to mention on here that I'm holding a server that's supporting OMs not supported on main (and its own pet mod [sorta] - not yet implemented, but not exactly a pet mod I don't think either - it's also been disapproved once or twice for being submitted, but once it's completed and implemented I'll try again)?
Well, the best place is usually in the threads of the metagames of which you host. For example, posting in the Technician Tower thread with a link to your server saying that you now host it there would be acceptable.

How about a thing that'd be in the same place as omotm or pokemon throwback, but with tiers, i.e. stabmon uber, AAA uu, BH ou?

How about a thing that'd be in the same place as omotm or pokemon throwback, but with tiers, i.e. stabmon uber, AAA uu, BH ou?
OMs don't typically support these variations; there are, however, UU, Doubles, and LC, mega threads for this discussion.

[unfixable]/[OMs don't typically support these variations; there are, however, UU, Doubles, and LC, mega threads for this discussion.]

(might've done something wrong with the quote and if so mb)
I know they don't normally but that's why I wanted to do it, also oms are kinda trying to get out of any kind of norm imo.

Reactions: EV
[unfixable]/[OMs don't typically support these variations; there are, however, UU, Doubles, and LC, mega threads for this discussion.]

I know they don't normally but that's why I wanted to do it, also oms are kinda trying to get out of any kind of norm imo.
No I mean they're not really allowed because different usage dictates each different metagame and having like 6 of each tier is not a good idea. You can still do these tiers by battling friends and such, but I truly don't see this happening n_n.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[quote="grurk, post: 5868292, member: 244433"][unfixable]/[OMs don't typically support these variations; there are, however, UU, Doubles, and LC, mega threads for this discussion.]

I know they don't normally but that's why I wanted to do it, also oms are kinda trying to get out of any kind of norm imo.[/quote]

yields

Alternatively just click "Reply" to automatically quote

Anyway, UU/Uber/LC/Doubles metagames are usually looked down on by the approval team because they're a lot less likely to sustain any interest.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but is there a thread in the OM part f the site where you can put ideas down and someone else can help optimise it to it's fullest potential?

For example, I have an idea which I think would be good for a OM and would pass my idea onto someone else if people thought it would be good enough.

My idea is so every pokemon gets one use of Sketch. (I think one pokemon from CAP has this, but I could be being an idiot!) I think it would be great if you could have something like Dragon Dance Garchomp, Fire Blast Gengar, Thunderbolt Keldeo etc!

If there's not anywhere like this, it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering :P

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but is there a thread in the OM part f the site where you can put ideas down and someone else can help optimise it to it's fullest potential?

For example, I have an idea which I think would be good for a OM and would pass my idea onto someone else if people thought it would be good enough.

My idea is so every pokemon gets one use of Sketch. (I think one pokemon from CAP has this, but I could be being an idiot!) I think it would be great if you could have something like Dragon Dance Garchomp, Fire Blast Gengar, Thunderbolt Keldeo etc!

If there's not anywhere like this, it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering :P
Yes! This is exactly the place for it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/om-submissions.289/

Also, Sketchmons is a thing already :[. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sketchmons-xy-now-playable.3495987/

EV

Banned deucer.
I feel like these points are important to address right now because I've been getting bombarded lately whenever I log in to the forums or Showdown*. I'm speaking mostly for myself but it applies to every one of us on the leadership team as well.
*literally the biggest reason why I'm not on the sim that often, and when I do log in, I'm usually on an alt. Please don't scare me away from the site altogether!

1) The moderators are not at your beck and call for submitted metagames. We have lives; this is not our job. Please be patient!
2) We can see your submission! You don't need to remind us that you posted a reply. We will get to it after we give it thought and when we're ready. See point 1 again.
3) Do not ask us to design the submission for you. Your idea needs to be fully developed beforehand. If it's not ready, ask a member of the community to help you. It's not uncommon for us to suggest ideas as we reply, but it's inappropriate to expect us to fill in the blanks. See point 1 again for the hell of it.
4) Expect us to ignore your submission completely if you bump if after only a few days (or hours even, it has happened). The rule is to bump after one week of no reply. In fact, I may just lock them if this happens. SEE POINT 1 FOR THE LAST TIME.

A big thank you to everyone who understands that we do this for fun and we do it because we want to. When it stops being fun, we stop wanting to help. I know it's exciting to invent a new metagame and the wait can be tedious, but the easiest way to make sure your metagame gets rejected is by annoying the people in charge of reviewing it.

Ok this is tiny and I'm sorry for needing to post it but it's kinda driving me crazy rn o3o There's a spelling error I noticed while reading through this post a second time. It's right here. "It" should be changed to "is". Sorry again, just please fix it before I go too crazy to finish the OM I'm planning 0_o

EV

Banned deucer.
Ok this is tiny and I'm sorry for needing to post it but it's kinda driving me crazy rn o3o There's a spelling error I noticed while reading through this post a second time. It's right here. "It" should be changed to "is". Sorry again, just please fix it before I go too crazy to finish the OM I'm planning 0_o
I'm immortalizing the mistake now that you've brought it up. Long live it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)