Other Metagames Workshop

idea + format shamelessly stolen from Kingler12345 ; information checked over and approved by Eevee General ; monotype team provided by queeniekaty, stabmons by unfixable, aaa by xx, and bh by xx

Other Metagames are a subforum and section that focus on exactly what they sound like -- metagames that are other than the regular tiers. These are not exactly tiers, but moreso formats, and are basically anything that doesn't fall under the category of OU, Ubers, UU, RU, NU, LC, Doubles, Battle Spot, or VGC. CAP is its own section but does, technically, classify as an Other Metagame. Most of these metagames, however, are tweaks to standard OU to add a new flare and spice to them. We're looking for contributors to the forums because, like all forums, contributors help our forum run! Most importantly, however, we're looking for bright and aspiring new users packed to the brim with ideas; we're all for creativity here in Other Metagames!

Now, our OM Mentors, Eevee General, Pikachuun, and unfixable, would like to sample some OM battles with you guys! Here are some sample teams, just PM us on Showdown! and we'd be happy to fight!

After you've had the battle, please post a set you were intrigued by! Post your replays! Post anything you learned! Post whatever you'd like about the metagame you chose!

Here are some common questions and misconceptions that I will be clearing up, along with a break down of each of our subforums.
  • What classifies as an Other Metagame and what's the difference between that and a Pet Mod?
Other Metagames, in the simplest sense, are any ideas and / or formats that add customized tweaks to the metagame. However, it's important to note that there is a large line between Pet Mods and general Other Metagames, which I will go into in the next bullet. To summarize it, though, Other Metagames are more typically a broad change, while Pet Mods are more specific and custom. For example, STABmons uses a "big picture" idea and gives all Pokemon access to moves of their own STAB types; Skillmons, however, has multiple custom and specific changes. A large majority of these metagames do not get coded on the main Pokémon Showdown! server; this is where our Other Metagames of the Month come in. These metagames are voted by users and receive a ladder for the entire month that they are voted into. However, a lot of metagames are left to theorymonning and discussion.
  • What are some OM-specific rules I should know and what are OM Submissions?
Other Metagames, like all other subforums, has their own set of forum-specific rules. The most crucial thing that separates the Other Metagames forum from nearly all other forums, is our own subforum: OM Submisisons. This is where all Other Metagames are posted to be approved my our OM team that consists of myself (unfixable), Eevee General, The Immortal, Joim, and Hollywood. Us five are able to view all of you submissions, and are all able to give you feedback to ensure all metagames are up to quality. However, we do have a specific rule that most OMs need approval by at least 2 moderators, these moderators are Eevee General, The Immortal, Joim, or Hollywood. We also have a rule that all users who post submissions must have at least 20 posts to ensure they know what happens in our subforum.
  • Why should I play these formats over OU or standard tiers?
Well, there's no real rhyme or reason to play them; you play metagames you like and because you want to! Other Metagames offer their own, unique blends of flavor and spice. Where else can you find a metagame in which Chansey is S Rank, Mega Audino is B Rank, and Mega Kangaskhan is C- Rank? That only exists in Balanced Hackmons! Each metagame is so diverse and offers their own threats; you'll never know what's going to be expected in a new metagame! Standard tiers a bunch of fun, and Other Metagames are no different. Some worry that because there's so many options to choose from that picking and sticking to a metagame may be not so great, but that's just not the case. You can always change it, of course, but it's actually a lot easier to stick to a specific metagame then you would think!
  • With all this variety, how does anything ever get done?
Excellent question! Well, you'd certainly be surprised. Despite having over 10 pages of metagames, a lot of work gets done. More popular metagames, such as Balanced Hackmons, STABmons, and AAA, get a lot of community projects like Viability Rankings, Creative Sets threads, and various Community Create a Teams. PU, one of the oldest metagames, gained traction quickly and has recently gained it's own subforum which can be found here.
  • Can we earn any badges for Other Metagames work?
Yes, you most certainly can! The following badges are able to be earned from OM contributions:
. Pre-Contributors are awarded to generally good posters on the forums and can be given out for good standings, multiple quality submissions with a lot of activity, or can be for coding metagames in some instances. Community Contributor is for contributors who go the extra mile and host a large quantity of quality projects. Other Metagames Community Contributor badges are very difficult to attain, but can be gained with large amounts of quality work.
  • Do I need prior knowledge before coming to the subforum?
Not at all! Well, not really, but a bit of prior OU knowledge can never hurt, as most metagames are based around OU with tweaks. But, it is not necessary, and you do not need to know too much about any battling skills to jump right in and help. However, knowing the forum is a wonderful idea; it's why we have enforced the 20-post rule. I'll go to the classic "lurk more" phrase, as lurking is very helpful so you know how the forum works. We're a bit unlike other forums, that is why we're named Other Metagames!
  • Why does PU have its own subforum?
PU has its subforum thanks to popular demand. With a large playerbase, a lot of support, and a ton of activity, along with a permanent ladder, the need for its subforum was there and so it was created. This forum was only recently added, but has since seen a lot of activity and great contributors. This is all thanks to our amazing PU council and the large playerbase who supported PU all the way and made the dream into a reality.
  • Who are the Other Metagames mentors I should go to if I need anything?
Our Other Metagames mentors are: Eevee General, hollywood, Valmanway, and myself, unfixable! Come to any of us if you need help with anything. Either PM us, VM us, find us on Showdown! / IRC, and we'll try and answer any of your questions!
  • What are some places I can go to for Other Metagames discussion?
Try out or IRC channel, the Showdown! room, or simply the threads themselves!

Now that we've gone over the basics, and even the in-depth, let's work together, you and I, to make a metagame! Here are some ideas for a metagame:
  • A metagame that involves the use of Plate items.
  • Metagames that offer a unique new mechanic.
  • A metagame in which the user's stats play a factor in another area.
  • A metagame that aims to make Cacnea viable!
  • Perhaps a metagame where only Pokemon deemed "worthy" can be used?!
Who knows?! There are endless possibilities! Please post in this thread with any ideas you have and the community, along with myself, will work on it with you!

If any question has not been answered, please read here!

The interactive workshop will take place in Other Metas on Showdown February 21st @ 11 AM (-7 MST)! :D

Last edited:
Now, our OM Mentors, Eevee General, Pikachuun, and unfixable, would like to sample some OM battles with you guys! Here are some sample teams, just PM us on Showdown! and we'd be happy to fight!

>Here are some sample teams
>Not from the OMs Sample Teams thread.

I recovered the replays before the rooms got deleted, here they are:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-212719001 Unfixable vs Malagras
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-212719115 Pikachuun vs E4 Flint
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-212719297 Eevee General vs Jusemeh
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-212720688 Unfixable vs Ransei

Unfortunately, there were 2 battles that i could not recover because they weren't finished, but yeah, i hope everyone enjoyed it and great event guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)