Otter Time

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OTTER TIME

Introduction:

Hey guys! With Gen V officially over I figured I’d share my last 5th Gen RMT. It's pretty late tbh, with it being well over a week since XY's release, but I still really think you should see this team because it's just been so fun. It all started when I was trying to come up with some kind of "gimmick" moveset a few weeks ago, i.e. something that can lure in normal checks and counters and beat them. I built a team and took it out against the ladder, not sure what to expect. To my surprise, it ended up working far better than I expected, and so here we are now. Hope you all enjoy!

The Team at a Glance:

The Team:

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Offensive Roselia is a really cool set that definitely needs a lot more love. It honestly works wonders on this team, since it can pivot in against a ton of stuff, put things to sleep, and absorb status which would otherwise wreck me. STAB Sludge Bomb hits surprisingly hard and can catch a lot of its common switch-ins off guard with Sleep Powder and max SpA investment. It also threatens Regen cores which is pretty cool too, since even though my team can handle them for the most part it's a much more reliable switch-in. Grass / Poison is a super clutch typing that fits my team perfectly, and Roselia fulfills all the roles I needed it to.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Specs Zaaarrrrd. Ever since the NU community got me hooked on this thing I've just fallen in love with it. I needed a good wallbreaker that could kill stuff like Vileplume and Roselia, and Zard fit that bill perfectly. Quite frankly, it really is just a game of "click Fire Blast and watch something die." I use Sleep Talk over HP Grass because I never actually find myself needing HP Grass, and I needed a good sleep absorber because obviously Roselia doesn't want to switch in on, say, Jynx. Zard is honestly one of the best sleep absorbers in the meta imo, because its STABs are so spammable you can just click Sleep Talk and not really have to worry about what move it picks. Other than that, there's not much that needs to be explained here. Zard reks.

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Another fairly self-explanatory mon, Jynx is here to revenge kill and disrupt things with Trick and Lovely Kiss. I needed something to prevent SmashCosta from 6-0ing me so Jynx was a no-brainer. Definitely helps a ton in checking Water-types and really fast things like Tauros to prevent them from steamrolling through me. In general it’s just really good at disrupting and revenge killing, which is why it’s here on my team.

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Golem is hands down one of the best Stealth Rockers in NU. I mainly chose it because of its typing, since it gave me both a bird check and a Volt Switch absorber at the same time, and it just fills up so much utility in one teamslot. It sets up SR, breaks Subs with Rock Blast, hits hard with EQ, and revenges with Sucker Punch. It's a really standard set, but frankly it just works so well I really couldn't change anything about it. It's also my main switch-in to SwagPard which is also cool I guess, since while SwagPard certainly isn't broken it’s still annoying af.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Toxic

Yes I know this is my third RMT with Mushy in it but that's just a testament of how good it is. It soaks up hits like a monster and forms an amazing dual-Psychic core with Jynx since the two of them can threaten all types of teams and clean up each other's messes super well. CM + Toxic is a neat little combo I use, and it honestly works quite well since I can set up on things while also landing chip damage every turn. Toxic was originally on here for surprising Mandibuzz but it's proven to be incredibly useful outside of that as well. Mushy is who I go to when I need something to take a strong hit, and it does that job excellently.

Samurott @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Rest

Finally we arrive at the star of the show, Samurott! I based this team around this guy, and I'm using a rather odd and somewhat gimmicky set on it: SD ChestoResto. However, it's actually proven to be incredibly effective, particularly as a lure against common checks such as Alomomola and bulky Seismitoad. Samurott is fairly bulky and can take a surprising amount of punishment from more defensive mons, where it can set up to +6 against them, Rest off any damage / status taken, and proceed to sweep. I use Aqua Jet as the STAB on this set since it's a lot more useful against offensive teams, as Otter's natural bulk and Aqua Jet goes a long way in preventing revenge killing. Chesto Berry is also cool in the sense that it can act like Lum Berry against sleep moves if I manage to keep it intact; meaning, it can lure in stuff like Jynx's Lovely Kiss and destroy it with Megahorn. Now, I'm not gonna act like this set is perfect because frankly it’s quite the opposite, but it’s a hilarious lure and ridiculously fun if you pull a sweep with it.

Threatlist:

Fire-types: They're revenge killed pretty easily but they're so fuckin hard to switch into. I have two resists in Samurott and Golem, but neither of them have that great SpD and I run the risk of the opponent HP Grassing me on a predicted switch. Mush beats them 1v1 but it can't switch in, and something like NP Simisear can give that troubles as well.

Tauros: I can pivot in with Mush + Golem but that's about it. Nothing can take hits from LO Tauros and it has decent enough physical bulk to take an Aqua Jet even at relatively low health. Jynx revenge kills it at -65% but more often than not I'm gonna lose a mon to this guy.

Ground-types: Mainly Golurk. Everything pretty much dies to its STAB combo after rocks, though luckily it really can't switch in thanks to offensive pressure. If I can predict an EQ I can go into Zard and kill with Fire Blast after some prior damage. Also Jynx checks it pretty easily though I can't switch in for shit.

Conclusion:

So that’s the team. Big shoutout to the NU community for helping me through my noobier days on this site, and pretty much making my Gen 5 experience what is today. It’s definitely been a super fun ride, and I’ve accomplished way more than I’d ever expected to when I was first beginning. Any suggestions are welcome, even though Gen 5 is over I’ll gladly take any feedback! Thanks!

Importable:
Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Toxic

Samurott @ Chesto Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Rest

Hey Dat Blast, nice team overall! A few unconventional sets, but hey, thats what it's all about, catching the opponent off guard. I really can only point out a few things. Firstly, I don't like the samurott set. Sure, restochesto can bring you to +6 with little effort, but in all honesty, I feel that using waterfall over Rest, allows you to set up more than once in the game without relying on your berry. Also, on musharna, HP Ground or Baton Pass over Toxic. This gives you some way to escape the unweildy grip of Skuntank, who walls everything you've got. In all honesty, while I see toxic being "useful" in niche situations, HP Ground and Baton Pass will give your team just that much more power. This gives you a way to make charizard, jynx, and roselia EVEN MORE OP. (If you choose to use baton pass). Outside of that, this team is basically freaking awesome, and will wreck your soul if you aren't careful.

Sets:
Samurott @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Waterfall

Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Baton Pass

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate Brawlfest. While I do understand the concern about the Samurott set, I'm not really one for changing since it's pretty much the purpose of the team. Lum SD is definitely more conventional, but I like the surprise factor and the added longevity of my current Samurott.

As for Musharna, Baton Pass was actually something I had considered for a while but ended up changing it to Toxic at the last second. It's definitely something I'll look into so thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)