OU 5th Gen Team

So as my year has progressed more time has opened due to the holidays so I have broken out my Pokemon games and strategies and started to prepare for the coming of Black and White this Spring. So I have been messing around with some teams and strategies on Pokemon Online and think I have found a pretty good team but noticed it has some kinks and wanted to know what ideas anyone has to help improve. Please realize that since its been about 3 months since i was truly focusing on competitive battling i might be a tad bit rusty, and especially with all the new moves and items and abilities from 5th Gen that im still getting use to. Regardless heres my team:

Urugamosu @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
-Bug Buzz
-Butterfly Dance
-Flame Dance
-Hidden Power (Ground)

*The reason for Urugamosu is that I really like him in 5th Gen, hes a heavy hitter with VERY good stats imo. Bug Buzz is just for a STAB bug move obviously, Butterfly Dance is used to raise his stats in a manner similar to Dragon Dance or Swords Dance, Flame Dance, is used as a STAB fire move and is also used for the possible stat increase, finally Hidden Power is used to take care of the occasional fire type that tries to attack Uru as well as to take care of electric types, the occasional poison type and of course rock types.

Threats: So as i have battled with him i have noticed that hes real weak against any flying types at all especially pokemon like Skarmory, Shaymin, and the occasional Zapdos also notice that water types have a hay day with him, especially Starmie, and Milotic

Abagoora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 80HP/ 252 Atk/ 176 SpDef
Nature: Impish
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet
-Earthquake
-Crunch

*The reason for Abagoora being on my team is that Uru is weak to Rock and Water types so I said why not cover the weaknesses with a Water Rock type, and with the way Abagoora's Def and SpDef figured he was perfect. Run the stats that way to make him a little more of a wall, but feel as if i'm accomplishing this in the wrong way. Stone Edge is to take care of the flying types which Uru is weak against and as a good STAB move, Aqua Jet is for speed priority to sweep up anyone that has a little HP left and as an ok STAB move. Earthquake obviously for heavy hitting and to take out any electric types which try to go up against Abagoora. Crunch is just to take care of any Psychic types which decide to roll out.

Threats: Notice he is good but really weak imo, his HP is horrible and if an Electric type doesn't murder him a Nattorei will come through and Power Whip him and hes gone. Zapdos is again an issue here too >.<

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Modest
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Extrasensory
-Hidden Power (Grass)

*I originally had Zapdos here so as to take care of my Zapdos problem :P but with the move set i was running I didn't have a flying move so thats why i switched to Moltres, and also so as to take care of all the Nattorei's i keep running into >.< Flamethrower is for a STAB fire move, Air Slash is to take care of the Fighting type weakness i have all throughout this team as well as a STAB flying move and Extrasensory is again for the Fighting type thing but also for poison types which i see pop up every now and then. Finally, Hidden Power is meant to take care of the Water types which come through and try to take this guy out.

Threats: WATER TYPES!!! you would not believe how often a Water type like Kingdra pops up uses Hydro Pump and wipes this guy out. Also Electric types again come and do a heck of a lot of damage to this guy, examples are Jolteon and Zapdos.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

*Reason for Mamoswine is to take care of dragon type and ground and grass types which come through as well as Flying types, and fire and rock types. My idea behind this was to have a typical Sleep talk build....doesn't work though..... so... irregardless Earthquake is for STAB and heavy damage, Ice Shard is for STAB as well as the speed priority to take out pesky Dragon types. Rest to heal and Sleep Talk so as im not useless.

Threats: EVERYTHING!!! I always had thought this guy had goo type coverage but he really sucks actually! Fire types demolish him, example Moltres or Heatran, Grass types whomp him like stupid Nattorei, and Fighting types like Roopushin, who is REALLY over used in 5th Gen imo, and Machamp annihilate him.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 172 HP/ 120 SpAtk/ 216 Spd
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam

*Reason for being on the team is cause I really like Starmie and it really helps take care of the super over abundance of field hazards that are occuring in 5th Gen. Rapid Spin is to take care of the aforementioned hazards, Recover so as to heal, Surf for a good STAB and to take care of the Fire dull the Water types which Mamoswine has issues with, and Ice Beam is to take care of the Dragons which Mamoswine doesnt take care of and to get rid of pesky grass types.

Threats: Starmie does well but those stupid Nattorei which CONSTANTLY are appearing in 5th Gen battling take care of this guy in a second, and electric types again like Zapdos or Jolteon pop up and take care of Starmie VERY quickly, as well as Ghost types like Shandera and Dark types like Zuruzukin or Kirikizan.

Sazandora @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush
-Fire Fang

*Reason i have Sazandora is just cause i looks really cool and is an AMAZING heavy hitter imo. He is imo the Garchomp or Tyranitar of this Gen. Earthquake is for some heavy damage, Crunch is for some STAB, Dragon Rush is in there cause i really dont like the whole forcing the opponent to switch their pokemon, I mean i could probably get use to it if it really is suggested in place of Dragon Rush, its also for STAB and Fire Fang is to deal with Nattorei's again as well as to deal with Bug types that pop up from time to time.

Threats: Kingdra and Dragonite are real threats to this guy, Especially Pokemon like Milotic as well who come in and Ice Beam this guy in a sec, also noticed fighting Pokemon again come through and typically one hit this guy.

Well thats everything! Thank you ahead of time for any suggestions anyone gives!!

Also! Im a HUGE fan of Latias, hence the forum name, and wanted to know if I try and put him in here would it be a good idea, and if so who should I get rid of in his place? and if you have a suggested move set and layout of evs and moves for Latias, if you do think its a good idea to put him in, thats GREAT!!

Thanks again!

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you were to include a Lati@s I would put it in over you sazandora. With Sazandora's speed being only 98 it doesn't make a great scarf user and a Lati@s covers that speed issue.

Also I am not seing what Abagoora does for the team. You said you wanted a poke that could cover Uru's water and rock weaknesses but their are many pokes that are can do that job and preform much better in the metagame. I would suggest replacing it with a Breloom as sleep is really invaluable in the metagame. The set I use is:

Adamant 244 Hp/252 Atk/12 Spe
Toxic Orb/Toxic Heal
Spore
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Mach Punch

This poke can be a real work horse against rain teams if played right as those teams look like they would give you problems. It would also serve as a makeshift revenge killer with mach punch. You could also drop mach punch and use the more traditional subpunch set but I find this to be a much more effective option.

Edit: If you choose to keep Sazandora go special with U-turn mixed in for scouting.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changes in Bold
Comments Below

Abagoora @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 SpDef
Nature: Careful
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall / Earthquake
-Curse
If you really wish to keep the original set, then I would suggest using a 252 HP / 192 Atk / 60 SpD over that spread. It has the same Special Defense bulk, but greatly increases its Defense. Anyways, I think that a Curse would work quite well for Abagoora and it will also give your extremely offensive team some bulk. I don't think EQ is really needs as the only coverage it adds is Empoleon, everything else can be hit neutrally the same without EQ. Waterfall is there for a strong STAB, whereas Aqua Jet can remain your priority.

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Modest
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Overheat / U-turn
-Hidden Power (Grass)
Extrasensory really doesn't add any added coverage that you don't already have and it gives Dark-type pokemon another way to switch into Moltres. I am a big U-turn/Volt Change fan, and U-turn could add up small bits of damage on opponents but with Moltres's huge SR weakness it might sometime be counter productive. Overheat is also a sort of hit and run aspect, but it will allow Moltres to hit extremely hard. It can also easily power up through an opponent's Sun, should they set it up.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
First off, Sleep Talk + Thick Fat is illegal as Mamoswine cannot learn Sleep Talk in Gen 5, so you need to change the moveset anyways. This is the standard Mamoswine set from Gen 4 with Stealth Rock over Superpwer as that is also incompatible with Thick Fat.

Sazandora @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
-Earth Power
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Sazandora has a better SpA stat then it does Atk, so I don't see why you wouldn't highlight it. I would recommend using a Timid nature, that way you can revenge things such as +1 Ononokusu. U-turn can also be effective on Sazandora, but I simply changed the moveset you had to a Specially based moveset with the same coverage.

Team as a whole
I really dislike the idea of having 2 pokemon that take 50% from SR on the same team, especially with a frailer spinner like Starmie. First thing I would say to do is replace Starmie with Forretress. Not only with this give you more bulk, but it will also give you a Dragon resist and a way to set up Entry Hazard to support your team. You also have 3 fighting weaks and you said that you wanted to put Latias in. Here are the proposed replacements.

->

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Change
-Spikes / Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes
-Gyro Ball / Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes

->

Latias @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Trick
Now I still don't like the idea of having both Urgamosu and Moltres as I feel it is somewhat redundant, but haven't quite decided what should go over Moltres.

The Forretress over the Starmie sounds great! I knew i needed a Rapid Spinner since field threats really put a beating on my team. And thank you so much for the Latias suggestions! Have a question about the Latias replacement though was wondering about a Latias build I had from a while back and wanted to know if it would be worth while

Latias @ Leftovers
Nature: Serious
EVs: 4 SpAtk/252 HP/252 Def
-Psychic
-Draco Meteor
-Calm Mind
-Recover

I used it a while back and want to know if placing it in this case would be beneficial or would Ditto's build be the best way to go?

Also thank you idiotfrommars for the Breloom suggestion instead of Abagoora, was wondering if I should just get rid of him altogether and the Breloom set sounds great in its place, will also try your suggestion Ditto and see how that works as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power Fire / Reflect
-Calm Mind
-Recover
#1: Serious is a horrible nature to use on any pokemon. There is not a single Pokemon that wouldn't want the Nature boost, even at the cost of 10% of another stat.

#2: With no investment in Speed, you are wasting Latias wonderful base 110 speed. If you wish to have a bulky Calm Mind user there are better ways to go about it.

#3: Don't use a move like Draco Meteor on a Calm Mind set, you will just end up losing all the boost you had gained up to that point.

#4: Psychic and Dragon attacks have somewhat repetitive coverage, both being resisted by Steel-types.

Ok yea I knew Serious wasn't the best but figured it was better in lieu of a stat decrease for one stat, I get why to do that instead since i wasn't using attack to begin with might as well just use a nature beneficial to its speed of special attack. Also thanks for the advice with the draco meteor, was going to say i found it tedious in 4th gen to constantly have to use calm mind or risk lowering my initial sp attack when using draco meteor. Hidden power fire though? oh i get it to deal with ice types which pose a threat to Latias! as well as to take care of steel types, which I seem to notice having an issue with on my team. Makes perfect sense now! Think i like this build instead of the other build but ill try the original build one you gave me and see how it works out and if it works well then i will just keep it. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)