OU Analyses Discussion Thread

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Certain Mega stones are actually wrong as well due to an SCMS error I think which will be fixed soon. Examples are Slowbronite (spelt wrongly - Slowbroite), and Sharpedonite (Sharpedoite).

Has anyone had any experimence with Quick claw Ferrothorn? I run this and it works pretty good :)

Ferrothorn @ Quick Claw
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Players often except twave/leech seed and switch in Espeon/Alakazam, only to be OHKOd by Gyro Ball. I guess this is the case for all offensive Ferrothorns, but the fact still stands. I'm open for suggestions or if this gimmick is completely out of the window, but I've used it to success just because players except other things from Ferrothorn.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244975069 (turn 24 and forward)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244337523 (turn 28)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243276858 (turn 12 and 13)

Of course, these replays are handpicked and I do sometimes wish that I would pack Choice Band/Lefties/Rocky helmet on my Ferro. After all, Quick claw doesn't do anything 80% of the time. Quick claw also accidently activates early sometimes, removing the surprise factor. (Quick claw says it activates, the other poke switches out and Ferro attacks the switch-in)

I've tried Curse Ferrothorn before, but I didn't really like it. Offensive Ferrothorn, though, is something that I've fallen in love with <3

Btw: I'm not the greatest gamer in history, so please don't overanalyse my replays. Thank you. <3

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone had any experimence with Quick claw Ferrothorn? I run this and it works pretty good :)

Ferrothorn @ Quick Claw
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Players often except twave/leech seed and switch in Espeon/Alakazam, only to be OHKOd by Gyro Ball. I guess this is the case for all offensive Ferrothorns, but the fact still stands. I'm open for suggestions or if this gimmick is completely out of the window, but I've used it to success just because players except other things from Ferrothorn.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244975069 (turn 24 and forward)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244337523 (turn 28)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243276858 (turn 12 and 13)

Of course, these replays are handpicked and I do sometimes wish that I would pack Choice Band/Lefties/Rocky helmet on my Ferro. After all, Quick claw doesn't do anything 80% of the time. Quick claw also accidently activates early sometimes, removing the surprise factor. (Quick claw says it activates, the other poke switches out and Ferro attacks the switch-in)

I've tried Curse Ferrothorn before, but I didn't really like it. Offensive Ferrothorn, though, is something that I've fallen in love with <3

Btw: I'm not the greatest gamer in history, so please don't overanalyse my replays. Thank you. <3
Quick Claw is not a viable item on Ferrothorn (or anything really) because it is extremely inconsistent with only a 20% chance to activate. Ferrothorn should be running Leftovers or Rocky Helmet.

Also anyone who switches in Espeon or Alakzam into a Ferrothorn is either a moron, insane, or desperate. Especially Alakazam because Thunder Wave will make it useless.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Chople Berry is also a nice item on Ferro rn, the ability to check stuff like Gengar, LO Alakazam and Mega Gardevoir once is really nice.

Quick Claw is not a viable item on Ferrothorn (or anything really) because it is extremely inconsistent with only a 20% chance to activate. Ferrothorn should be running Leftovers or Rocky Helmet.

Also anyone who switches in Espeon or Alakzam into a Ferrothorn is either a moron, insane, or desperate. Especially Alakazam because Thunder Wave will make it useless.
I'm aware of the 80% chance that Quick Claw won't do anything at all but I've found good use for the claw, as said. I'll maybe eventually switch to CB/Lefties/Rocky Helmet for better consistency but as of now it has won me so many games that I can't drop it. Sure, Lefties/Rocky helmet could make a clutch survival/kill, but the claw is so stronk when it works. I know that you're going to question if I have a brain at all but that's ok with me. Call me an idiot, but Quick Claw Ferro will be in my heart for a long time <3

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm aware of the 80% chance that Quick Claw won't do anything at all but I've found good use for the claw, as said. I'll maybe eventually switch to CB/Lefties/Rocky Helmet for better consistency but as of now it has won me so many games that I can't drop it. Sure, Lefties/Rocky helmet could make a clutch survival/kill, but the claw is so stronk when it works. I know that you're going to question if I have a brain at all but that's ok with me. Call me an idiot, but Quick Claw Ferro will be in my heart for a long time <3
I've swept people with Double Dance Weak Armor Skarmory, but that doesn't make it good.

Competitive strategies require consistency, which Quick Claw doesn't provide. Just because it gave it you some clutch wins does not make it a viable item, because it is based around luck. Lefties and Rocky Helmet are much more consistent items, while Chople is less consistent but provides a far greater benefit than Quick Claw in allowing you to check common and dangerous Pokemon like Gengar.

latias should get a cms edit.
the writing feels kinda janky, particularly the overview and team options, while some things are just wrong; for example, the set for cm mega latias has mega scizor in team options. lol

Gyarados doesn't have Crunch (even as a possible option or side-note) on any of it's analyses, should this be changed?

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if there is any reasoning behind this, but Tornadus-Therian's Assault Vest set gives it an even HP number, taking more damage from residual damage "132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe".

Sylveon analysis needs to be revamp. The defense set still mention Landorus-i and I feel the calm mind-baton pass set should removed. Its so bad and there are better options like celebi.

I'd like to suggest a Modest Assault Vest set for Slowbro. I achieved minor success on the ladder using it on a team, as seen here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bros-of-dark-sands-peaked-1671.3544834/.

Code:
Brobro (Slowbro) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

The team might not be the best fit for it, but it's an amazing set on its own. It can be used as a lead against Ferro and Garchomp, who are ohko'd by the appropriate coverage move. Keldeo is ohko'd after hazard or chip damage. Brobro can take a shadow ball from LO Gengar (70-83.2%) and ohko with Psychic. Even max SpAtk Manectric deals 61.4% at most with thunderbolt. Brobro synergises well with Ferrothorn and Lando-T, but would function better with a cleric and/or hazard removal.

Regenerator is enough to keep Slowbro healthy with smart play, so leftovers aren't necessary. Keep in mind that this set isn't competing with other Slowbro sets; it fills a completely different role.

Malley

Dominachu
A considerable number of analyses have inefficient EV spreads re their HP EVs, as people assume that an odd HP value is the same as a Stealth Rock number. Togetic and RestTalk Gyarados for example, and I find it quite regularly. Analysis writers give 248 HP EVs because 252 would reach an even number, despite the fact that that even number might not come out in an integer after Stealth Rock hits. In Gyarados' case, 252 HP EVs give 394, and 394 / 4 = 98.5, so it can switch into Rocks four times already. In individual instances it's minor, but when it happens so consistently it gives people bad information about the mechanics of the game. I'm aware that these two are XY analyses, but I've found it while GP checking several ORAS analyses, and I'm sure I've found some ORAS in the dex. As far as solutions go, I'm quite happy to note it down whenever I find it, and perhaps edit this post with a list.

Separately, what do you think of giving Bulk Up RestTalk Gallade its own set? With 252 HP / 252 SpDef it can set up on an immense number of things (including Gliscor, Hippowdon, CM Manaphy, Mew, Rotom-W, Skarmory, and Zapdos, just as far as the things that beat SD Gallade go), pivot well into things like Heatran, Kyurem-B, Magnezone, Manectric, Raikou, and Thundurus, and check things like Bisharp, Lopunny, and Weavile. If it gets up one Bulk Up it can also beat things like Alakazam, Charizard X, Lati@s, and Metagross. I have a longer list than this - these are just choice examples.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Removed Landorus mentions from Goodra. How is it outdated exactly? As far I know AV is still the most viable set it can run.

Do you just reserve an analysis, then start a new thread and type it up in bullet points until it gets 2 QC checks, then write it up in paragraph form, and then edit for grammar from the GP team? Or is the process something different?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)