1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

(OU) Annoying Sand Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by JolteonTrainer, Mar 20, 2013.

1. JolteonTrainer

JolteonTrainer

Yoooooooo So this is a standardish sand team with a few modifications from a friend and from myself. I basically try to set up and then stall. Once everything is crippled from the other team, Terrakion can just sweep.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Slack Off
    - Earthquake
    - Whirlwind
    - Ice Fang

- Sand Inducer : Set up sand, and usually starts out. Whirlwind is to phaze unwanted things and can be useful with hazards up. Slack Off is for longevity and to stall at times. Earthquake for stab and Ice fang for dragons. Not the best attacker, but it can wall most of the time. Since Hippowdon is slow, leading with against other weather inducers is pretty ideal. Sun teams can be tricky at the 1st turn.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Gravity
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

- Momentum shift - Scouter for the most part. Can take hits well and can sweep surprisingly. I wish Landorus-T was faster, but oh wells. Gravity is to rape levitators. EQ for stab. U-turn is for scouting and shifting into different walls/Terrakion. Stone Edge helps, but I don't find it too useful most of the time. Sometimes I have this dude be the lead for Kyrum B or any physical lead that wants to set up. Once the intimidate is up, I switch immediately to the next thing that can handle the threat.

[​IMG]
    Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Earth Power
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Wall: The best wall for Rain and Sand teams. Storm Drain is so OP. Earth Power is there for when I get my SpA raises. Scald for obv standard stuff. Toxic and recover is there to stall bitches. Again, kind of standard. Not much to say. Synergizes well with Skarmory and Forretress.

[​IMG]
    Forretress (F) @ Custap Berry
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Explosion
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spinner/Electrode : This guy is really great. With this set, I can some options that people just don't expect. When in low health, I can just explode into any threats that seem annoying (other spinners!) with Custap Berry. Once spinners are gone (with hazards still up), Forrestress does it's job. I think having Gyro Ball might be a great idea, but then again Forrtress doesn't last long.

[​IMG]
    Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird
    - Physical Wall : Works well against the nasty Breloom once I sleep foddered someone. Super Standard set.

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Sacred Sword

Sweeper : Originally, this guy had a choice band, but he wasn't fast enough. So I stuck and scarf on it, and now he's not strong enough. lmao. He can work well with hazards up, but he's still weak imo. Deff not enough coverage. Probably the only way to deal Ferro.

Threats:
    Magnezone: Rapes my steels. So annoying.
    Ferrothorn: Walls most of the time. Terrakion is the only sure way to kill it off right away.
    Gliscor: Once Gastrodon is gone, I'm helpless. lol

Thanks for reading! c; Constructive Criticism pls. C;
  2. Governess

Governess A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This is a pretty solid team. Always room for improvement, though! =)

-Replace Sassy Nature to Calm Nature on Gastrodon. Gastrodon may not have the best of speed, but it's better to use what it has than lower it further. Your Gastrodon doesn't use it's attack for anything, and speed is overall more important than attack, hence the Calm Nature; it still keeps the SpD boost.

-Earthquake > Sacred Sword on Terrakion. While Sacred Sword is great against setup Pokemon, Earthquake provides overall better coverage to Terrakion against Magnezone notably, along with Jirachi.

-After thinking about it, Gliscor is a huge threat to your team, and needs to be taken care of. I was going to offer Starmie, but as Starmie shares the same threats as Gastro, and you don't need another sweeper, I decided to dig deeper to find another threatening ally. I suggest Life Orb Mamoswine over Skarmory. You already have a phasing Hippowdon, and Spikes + Stealth Rock on Forre, as well as many physical walls. Also, with LO Mamo, you can handle Ferro with Superpower, along with Breloom (who Mamo outspeeds, and can , and certainly Gliscor with Ice Shard, along with having variety. Here is the set I recommend:

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine @ Life Orb / Choice Band
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Ice Shard
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

You may CB it for additional power if LO isn't enough; either item works well for extra power. The reason for Adamant over Jolly is simply it's added power, which is vital to Mamoswine's success. It has many coverage moves, and LO Earthquake can 2HKO a Ferro, which is amazing, considering you don't want lowered Defense/Attack from Superpower.

-Finally, I'm considering Ice Beam > Earth Power on Gastrodon. Ice Beam is a great coverage move against Dragons, who would wall your team otherwise. Earth Power is a good move though; if you test Ice Beam and it doesn't work as expected, there is no wrong with Earth Power.

That's all I have; I hope I've been helpful. Good luck with your team! =)
  3. bobhail9

bobhail9

i would get somebody like HP fighting RotomH to lure water type attacks to gastrodon
  4. Nemusus

Nemusus

If you don't like Scarf Terrakion, try a double boost set:
    Show Hide

Terrakion @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252Atk, 252 Speed, 4HP
    Ability: Justified
    -Swords Dance
    -Rock Polish
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge

Terrakion gets nice coverage with his two STAB attacks. If your team goal is to wear down the opposition for a Terrakion sweep, then you shouldn't have much trouble bring Terrakion in on a weakened enemy, and then picking the appropriate boosting move for their team: Rock Polish gives you speed against slower teams, and Swords Dance lets you take out bulkier ones.
  5. Eranu

Eranu

Hi,

cool team. First of all, you're weak to the two most common offensive threats in the current metagame: Keldeo and Landorus-I. Nothing on your team can safely switch in on it without having to predict either Secret Sword or a Water-move, while non-choiced variants are even more of a problem. Same story for Landorus-I. Nothing on your team can switch into it without risking a 2hko. Your team goal is really reliant on getting and keeping hazards on the field, so a spin blocker would be nice too. What I think the best solution is, is changing Gastrodon to a Jellicent. Now, while Jellicent isn't a 100% check to Landorus-I (few things are these days), it can Recover off Earth Powers as long as you keeps Stealth Rocks off the field. It also completely stop Keldeo and provides you with the spin blocker you could use very well. With this change, you'll become very weak to Rotom-w or Electric 'mons in general. Having both Skarmory and Forretress seems a bit redundant, especially since they both carry Spikes. In my opinion you should keep Forretress, as it can Rapid Spin, but change the Skarmory slot to a Latias, a SubCM one. Your team is pretty weak to sun, and with this that is solved. Latias has a really easy time setting up and sweeping versus sun, while also providing you with a secondary 'check' to Landorus-I and Keldeo. This also solves the Rotom-w / Electric types in general problem.

Now, for some smaller changes. Explosion isn't worth running on such a defensive set as Forretress has this gen. It got nerved after Gen 4 and it's now only worth it on offensive 'mons or on Normal Gem'd 'mons. Gyro Ball fits better, especially with Custap Berry, as it will allow you to outspeed faster threats for one turn. However, you might be better off using your Custap Berry for a Rapid Spin or another layer of Spikes, but that's up to the situation. Be sure to run 0 Speed IVs as well if you run Gyro Ball. Another thing is the 4th moveslot of Terrakion. Sacred Sword isn't worth it, at all. The only time Secret Sword would be useful is against Baton Pass, which is pretty rare. Instead, use Rock Slide. Rock Slide has a little more accuracy than Stone Edge. Missing a Stone Edge on a Dragonite or Volcarona can cost you the game, so that's why you could run Rock Slide to still KO those kind of threats but having less chance to miss. For you Gliscor weakness, it's really limited to Taunt versions. You can switch into Jellicent on the Taunt and threaten it out with Scald, if it's non-Taunt Gliscor you can just set up on it with Latias as long as you avoid the Toxic. If you really want another way of dealing with it, you can run Hidden Power [Ice] on Landorus-T over Gravity. On Forretress run Volt Switch > Stealth Rocks and then put Stealth Rocks > Ice Fang on Hippowdon. Hippowdon generally has an easier time setting up Stealth Rocks than Forretress. Getting up Stealth Rocks earlier will aid the team. Volt Switch on Forretress gives your team more momentum, forcing your opponent to switch more often resulting in his pokemon getting damaged by hazards more, which is obviously what you want. As for Ferrothorn, you can just set up hazards on it with Forretress and start phazing. Below are the sets for Jellicent and Latias. If you want Jellicent to outspeed every Tyranitar, run 124 Speed EVs so you can even outspeed the speed creep ones. This takes away from its bulk though so it's up to you what you want to run.

Hope I helped. Good luck.

~Sets:
    Show Hide
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt / Shadow Ball

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Recover
    - Dragon Pulse

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)