OU Combinations

When I saw LR's UU combo thread, I felt a bit left out. I don't play UU (Trying to get into it) and I thought, why not an OU combo list...

I, unfortunately, don't know any good combos that aren't obvious. But just to kick it off:
and
or

The sets do not matter in the slightest, since all 3 pokemon are reasonably versatile. The main issue is that they resist each others weaknesses beautifully.

Jirachi adds a more defensive, long lasting pair, as you can use wish to keep both pokemon alive. Metagross has some more power in it, but you can always change sets to change to your needs. I assume you could switch in Dragonite for Salamence as well.

I suppose you could go ahead and say things like CeleTran, but try to get the word out about some other , lesser-known combos.

Gyarados and Electivire (or Jolteon) usually work well together, though Electivire is more versatile. If an electric attack is fired at Gyarados, switch to Electivire and activate Motor Drive and proceed to sweep. Electivire's diverse movepool gives it great coverage so it can possibly take out an entire team once it has that Motor Drive boost. If a Ground attack is aimed at Electivire, switch into Gyarados.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Latias + Lucario.

Cover eachothers weaknesses perfectly, if you want to pursuit latias, you're giving lucario a free Swords dance, which in some cases could be game over right there.

Magnezone + Salamence / Dragonite: they not only resist each other's weaknesses, but Maggie has the ability to kill steel pokemon thus opening the way for your Dragons and their Outrages and Draco Meteors.

Salamence / Draco + Jirachi / Metagross / Heatran: An example of pokemons that cover each other well...without Maggie you can't get rid of the steel pokes but you have more support or offensive power with Jirachi, Gross and Tran

Tyranitar + Gyarados: having trouble with you Gyara's sweeps always being stopped by Rotoms, Celebis, Zapdos, Cresselias and Starmies? Tyranitar can Pursuit them to death...if you have Toxic Spikes Support or a lure to weaken Bulky Waters this one is a killer one

Sub Toxic Heatran + Cune: Heatran lures and poisons lots of pokemons Suicune can Stall like Blissey and Bulky Waters...a well used TTar or Dugtrio are good choices to pair with it too.

Empoleon + Gliscor: More offensive, less standard Blisskarm combination, they resist all the Type Chart excepet Fire and Grass together...

Celeb / Azelf + Magnezone / Dugtrio: when someone sees a Celeb Azelf or what does he do? Send Scizor, Tyranitar or Blissey to fight them. U-turn + Magnezone / Dugtrio will make sure that they will be killed =D

Heatran + Celeb: you never imagined that some day they would make a pokemon which can cover all seven of Celebi's weaknes but they did, and the best part: Celebi covers Heatran's weakness too =D

Gyarados + Electivire / Jolteon: a x4 weakness to Electric attacks makes Gyara a magnet for such moves and nothing better than two pokemons that enjoy to receive this type of attack to be paired with him. Thanks to their traits (Mortor Volt and Drive absorber) the first can get a boost in speed and the latter recover HP when hit by a electric attack

SD Luke weakens SD Scizor counters, any lead with Toxic can cripple Pert/Hippowdon for the rest of the match helping a DDtar sweep and so it goes...

Some of my favorites:

Gyarados and Salamence- Just all bad ass.

Salamence and Magnezone- We know how this works. Salamence attracts Steels, Magnezone traps and KOes them.

Latias and Infernape- Weaknesses are covered perfectly IIRC, and Latias deals with every Infernape counter not named Gengar or Cresselia.

Rotom-H and Tyranitar- Scizor often tries to deal with Tyranitar, so send in Rotom, take the Bullet Punch, and use Overheat. Weaknesses are also covered perfectly.

I'll amend this post with more when I recall more.

Latias + Scizor.
Resist their weaknesses perfectly. Scizor is able to pursuit and threaten Latias's counter with superpower.

joshe

the best
Salamence + Metagross. I'm gonna do sets just to stand out from the crowd okay:pimp:

Presenting: MetaMence or SalaGross or Meatmence.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
232 Atk / 24 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Metagross @ Life Orb
Clear Body
48 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Thunderpunch

This combination is very simple and it fits well on any offensive or balanced team. Arguably the two best wall breakers in the game, they work by simply setting up and sweeping, and if one goes down the other steps in, sets up, and sweeps the rest of the team. The only thing that can stop these two at once is Mamoswine which can get Salamence and Metagross with Ice Shard and Earthquake respectively, and Swampert can wall these two all day. Therefore another combo is needed for these two to work: Celetran. With a Choice Scarf Heatran and a little Paralysis inducing Celebi, these two take off like no other. All are reasonably bulky and are great choices on teams.

EDIT: Agility Subpetaya Empoleon works well over metagross also. I just like the idea of having the same counters so one weakens, and the other sweeps.

Zapdos + Rhyperior
Zapdos can take out Rhyperior's counter so Rhyperior can destroy your opponents team

Just a quick comment. Didn't LR make this awhile back already? :x
He made one for UU, not OU, I believe.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252 HP/100 SpAtk/160SpDef
-Reflect
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Psychic

And

Machamp @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
-Dynamic Punch
-Payback
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

These two work well with each other for the most part. They aren't a true combo, but do have some good synergy.

When Cress switches in, get Reflect up immediately as it will cushion all defensive blows that may come. If you aren't threatened (not much threatens this Cress) Calm Mind up. If a counter (Any dark, Scizor, or Blissey) comes in, than you switch to Machamp, which can take all of them, especially with reflect up.

These two have some trouble with things like Gengar and Rotom, so have something that can take those on, it'll help.

Uxie @ Light Clay
Impish
252 hp 88 def 188 spD
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Memento
-filler

Kingdra @ Leftovers
adamant
4 hp 252 atk 252 spe
Swift Swim
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Substitute
-Outrage

Uxie's EVs give it equal defenses and swift swim is chosen on kingdra for rain. This combo has 5-0'd all by itself. With screens up weaker attacks will fail to break kingdra's substitutes and if you face a stronger attacker use memento, than kingdra gets a free switchin and with pseudo +4 (or is it +6) defenses even some stronger attacks fail to break your substitute, kingdra's brilliant typing helps a lot here. While struggling to break the substitute kingdra can DD until it's ready to sweep. Uxie is chosen as the dual screener because powerful attacks like a Choice Scarf heatran fire blast barely 3hko, without light screen, also with access to memento it gives kingdra a free switchin and gives the opponent a hard time just breaking kingdra's substitute. Kingdra is chosen because of great type coverage in STAB, decent bulk, awesome defensive typing, neutral to SR, and it has such an easy time setting up on bulky waters unlike his competition gyrados and salamence. You can also throw in gyrados or salamence and if kingdra can't sweep it'll soften up the opponents team and counters.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
His topics were active almost 4 months ago, if there is still interest in this then it can roll I guess.

Can you guys try to elaborate on your descriptions though? Saying like "I use x because it beats y's counters" it's pretty pointless.

You forgot SkarmBliss.
SkarmBliss isn't even that great anymore. Plenty of things can get past the combo now that it isn't even half as good as it was in GSC.

I also don't get why people are posting Gyarados and Electivire, unless this thread is also meant for shitty combos. Electivire even with the speed boost is underwhelming. The combo was used a lot early D/P, but became extinct mid-late D/P and for a very good reason.

I can't really think of any that haven't been said so instead I will post one of my favorites from the original thread.

Also, Gengar can't take a surf or waterfall from anything.

Anyway, I've found a nice combo of pokemon:
LO Zapdos + Bulk Up Machamp

Yeah the type resists are only decent (Machamp resists rock...), but when Tyranitar, Flygon, and Blissey happen to be some of the biggest switch-ins to Zapdos these days, Machamp is a great switch in and can start bulking up and then Dynamic Punching everything that comes around. Or you can use Guts, that way you don't have to worry about the Rotom forms burning you. Machamp deals out punishing physical blows (and drives people nuts) while Zapdos is one of the best special attackers around with STAB T-bolt, Roost, and solid stats.

Throw dual screen up, and you have yourself a scary duo.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SkarmBliss isn't even that great anymore
False, SkarmBliss is still a fearsome combo today. Of course there's a "counter" to it, it is still a great combo. SkarmBliss's existence is normally found in Stall Teams which is more painful to bring down with 4 other walls.

My bad, didn't know that other threads such as this existed, though I shoulda figured.

And when I made it, yeah I wasn't looking for Gyarados and Electivire but unknown CeleTrans.

False, SkarmBliss is still a fearsome combo today. Of course there's a "counter" to it, it is still a great combo. SkarmBliss's existence is normally found in Stall Teams which is more painful to bring down with 4 other walls.
I was talking about Skarmory and Blissey together as a defensive combination. Not Skarmory + Blissey + 4 other Pokemon as a defensive combination.

I found this combination to be good.

Cresselia @ Light Clay
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 44SpD / 152 Spe
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Lunar Dance
-Thunder Wave

+

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Tri Attack
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power Fighting

This combo really shows that Nasty Plot Porygon-Z is still viable. Basically, Cresselia sets up screens, paralyses some Pokemon so Porygon-Z can outspeed them, then lures a Choice Ghost attack that Porygon-Z can get a free Nasty Plot. Lunar Dance lets this go on for a second time.

A defensive combo I've been using and just got sick of:
(I just copied/pasted from a file I save my team work in, which may be why the wording might be off)

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 172 DEF / 68 ATK / 32 SPE
Impish Nature

~ Wish - A crucial part of the combo, which gives Salamence a free 50% when Salamence switches into Stealth Rock, only giving itself 25%. If it's Salamence's first time switching in, it will be at full HP.

~ U-Turn - A great move for any pokemon, especially on a balanced team. 32 Speed EVs outruns Timid Magnezone to avoid to be trapped, and Jolly Tyranitar.

~ Ice Punch - Jirachi's main option against Salamence and Flygon. Ice Punch will either 2HKO or OHKO any dragon except for Kingdra.

~ Body Slam - Jirachi takes advantage of it's ability - Serene Grace. This can paralize pokes that are problematic; Mamoswine, Flygon, Heatran, and Kingdra on the switch. Also, paralysis support on any team never hurts.

--

Jirachi is part 1 of the JiraMence combo. First off, Jirachi covers all of Salamence's weaknesses very well: Dragon, Rock, and Ice. Jirachi uses these resistances to it's advantage to pass Wish to Salamence, which who is hampered by Stealth Rock.

Jirachi can take everything ranging from Specs Draco Meteor and +1 LO Adamant Outrage:

~ [+1 Outrage] 607 Atk vs 308 Def & 400 HP (120 Base Power): 165 - 195 (41.25% - 48.75%)
~ [Specs Draco Meteor] 525 Atk vs 236 Def & 400 HP (120 Base Power): 144 - 169 (36.00% - 42.25%)

Also, CB Tyranitar looks like it could take on Salamence with Stone Edge, and Jirachi with CB Crunch.
~ [CB Crunch] 604 Atk vs 308 Def & 400 HP (80 Base Power): 169 - 199 (42.25% - 49.75%)

CB Crunch will never 2HKO Jirachi with Stealth Rock + Leftovers, as well as +1 Outrage from Adamant 252 Salamence.

+

Salamence @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 180 DEF / 76 SPE
Timid Nature

~ Roost - Salamence's main way of recovery HP, other than Jirachi wish passing to Salamence. Roost is very nice, as it takes off one of Salamence's weaknesses and strengthens against a huge one.

~ Toxic - Salamence might not be a Toxic Staller alike Zapdos, but Toxic really helps against any bulky water - Vaporeon, Swampert, etc.

~ Flamethrower - Salamence always attracts Steel types while having a great suprise factor. Flamethrower also takes Steel types to their misery that are immune to Toxic, and has perfect coverage along side of Draco Meteor.

~ Draco Meteor - Salamence can really take a toll on Offensive and Bulky Offense teams with this move. Not only is it powerful, but can give my opponents the wrong idea of what Salamence this really is. MixMence? DDMence? What? Confusion occurs.

--

Salamence is part 2 of the JiraMence combo. Salamence takes Fire, Ground, and takes neutral hits very well too: Bug, Fighting, and most Ghost / Dark attacks. Salamence also can take on things that are very problematic for Steel/Dragon: Mamoswine, Infernpae, and Lucario.

[CB Mamoswine's Ice Shard + Yache Berry] 591 Atk vs 241 Def & 394 HP (40 Base Power): 212 - 252 (53.81% - 63.96%)

[+1 Lucario's Ice Punch + Yache Berry] 525 Atk vs 241 Def & 394 HP (75 Base Power): 306 - 360 (77.66% - 91.37%)

Oh no! Lucario has a chance to OHKO Salamence with Ice Punch after Stealth Rock? Well, Salamence DOES outrun Lucario, and that calculation only really counts when you switch in. Extremespeed never 2HKO's Salamence with the defensive EVS, and Close Combat does only a bit over half:

[+1 Lucario's CC] 525 Atk vs 241 Def & 394 HP (120 Base Power): 182 - 215 (46.19% - 54.57%)

Ironically, -1 Ice Punch will not even OHKO Salamence if it's predicting that on the switch in.

Yache Berry is for Infernape with HP Ice, and that does squat with the Berry. Swampert may be carrying Ice Beam, so either for the Toxic / Draco Meteor, Salamence can get a free turn. Heatran and Gengar can also be problematic with HP Ice, which is why Yache Bery is over leftovers.

Unfortunately, Physical MixApe with Stone Edge can cause a lot of trouble:

307 Atk vs 241 Def & 394 HP (120 Base Power): 286 - 338 (72.59% - 85.79%)

But the fact that most people use Mach Punch for Lucario somewhat softens the dilemma. Also, Infernape cannot switch into anything but Roost or Flamethrower. It's a shame that Salamence isn't faster.

+
+

The above combo has been one of my personal favorites that was first suggested to me by Bad Ass (Leaderboarder) and Reachzero, and I have been greatly impressed by its success for the time I've used it.

A short explanation of how the combination works...

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Gengar is a great Pokémon to balance both Tyranitar and Magnezone's weakness to Ground and Fighting-type attacks. Gengar is a great rounded Pokémon which can easily plow through teams that lack a reliable Special walls. Blissey, serving as a good counter to Gengar, is easily annihilated by Tyranitar. Gengar also attracts Scizor like honey attracts bees, meaning Magnezone gets an extremely easy switch-in. Gengar also deals with Lucario.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Tyranitar's main purpose in this core is to eliminate the Blissey which prevent Gengar and Magnezone from being able to deal effective damage to the opposing team. Tyranitar also serves as a great go-to-guy for dealing with Special attacks such as Choice Scarf Heatran which threatens both Gengar and Magnezone. Tyranitar's Ground, Grass, and Fighting weaknesses are covered by Gengar.

Magnezone @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon / Magnet Rise

Magnezone works as a great way to eliminate Steel-types such as Scizor and Forretress, which Gengar and Tyranitar have problems with. There's not much else to add here, as the set is rather self-explanatory.

Summary:

This combination of Pokémon is mainly geared to deal with each other's weaknesses, seeing as each Pokémon attracts an opposing counter that you should be able to deal with. As outlined above, Gengar will attract Scizor with is dealt by Magnezone. Tyranitar will attract Lucario, which is dealt by Gengar. Magnezone will attract Heatran, which is dealt by Tyranitar. However, this combination of Pokémon is more geared towards supporting a team rather than functioning as a whole, since this combination of Pokémon has little in stopping Gyarados and Salamence if they get a boost in, so using a Salamence or Gyarados would be an excellent idea along with this offensive core.

flashstorm1, 50% of scizors carry pursuit and a single pursuit from almost any scizor will easily 1HKO your gengar, especially if you switch. although its feasible that you could sub as they switch in scizor and then go to magnezone to take the obvious bullet punch, you didn't mention that as a possibilty in your post at all.

perhaps if you mean to use gengar as your scizor counter you could instead put HP Fire on it, sub on the switch and then take out the scizor as it breaks your sub.

flashstorm1, 50% of scizors carry pursuit and a single pursuit from almost any scizor will easily 1HKO your gengar, especially if you switch. although its feasible that you could sub as they switch in scizor and then go to magnezone to take the obvious bullet punch, you didn't mention that as a possibilty in your post at all.

perhaps if you mean to use gengar as your scizor counter you could instead put HP Fire on it, sub on the switch and then take out the scizor as it breaks your sub.
I meant to imply that you could switch to Magnezone if you had a Substitute up, so I apologize for not making that point clear in my post. Regardless, most Scizor are 2HKOed by Focus Blast with SR damage factored in anyways. In a worst case scenario, if Gengar were to get hit by Pursuit, you still get a free Substitute with Magnezone.

logyara + agiligross

not much to explain here, logyara can come in early game and dd and wreck stuff. generally if the opponent wants to live at all vs. logyara they bring in things like rotom and suicune and celebi and skarmory, all of which he is able to weaken (or kill) so that metagross can have a better time sweeping. some good offensive synergy, since they can be used interchangably (i.e. you can sac either one, so it's very easy to play flexibly according to any situation) to take out each other's counters, making it very easy to sweep opponents.

Flygon +Scizor Is pretty cool, as the cover each others weaknesses, and can U turn in and out to rack up damage and help scout your opponents team. With SR in play, constantly forcing switches is obviously going to wear your opponents team down, and they can't counter switch you if you are U Turning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)