OU Combinations

+
+

The above combo has been one of my personal favorites that was first suggested to me by Bad Ass (Leaderboarder) and Reachzero, and I have been greatly impressed by its success for the time I've used it.

A short explanation of how the combination works...

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Gengar is a great Pokémon to balance both Tyranitar and Magnezone's weakness to Ground and Fighting-type attacks. Gengar is a great rounded Pokémon which can easily plow through teams that lack a reliable Special walls. Blissey, serving as a good counter to Gengar, is easily annihilated by Tyranitar. Gengar also attracts Scizor like honey attracts bees, meaning Magnezone gets an extremely easy switch-in. Gengar also deals with Lucario.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Tyranitar's main purpose in this core is to eliminate the Blissey which prevent Gengar and Magnezone from being able to deal effective damage to the opposing team. Tyranitar also serves as a great go-to-guy for dealing with Special attacks such as Choice Scarf Heatran which threatens both Gengar and Magnezone. Tyranitar's Ground, Grass, and Fighting weaknesses are covered by Gengar.

Magnezone @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon / Magnet Rise

Magnezone works as a great way to eliminate Steel-types such as Scizor and Forretress, which Gengar and Tyranitar have problems with. There's not much else to add here, as the set is rather self-explanatory.

Summary:

This combination of Pokémon is mainly geared to deal with each other's weaknesses, seeing as each Pokémon attracts an opposing counter that you should be able to deal with. As outlined above, Gengar will attract Scizor with is dealt by Magnezone. Tyranitar will attract Lucario, which is dealt by Gengar. Magnezone will attract Heatran, which is dealt by Tyranitar. However, this combination of Pokémon is more geared towards supporting a team rather than functioning as a whole, since this combination of Pokémon has little in stopping Gyarados and Salamence if they get a boost in, so using a Salamence or Gyarados would be an excellent idea along with this offensive core.
Flash, a team I'm toying with now has a core very similar to this.
I'm currently running cursetar, and my magnezone set is fairly different (much slower, although I'm thinking about increasing speed, and with hp: ice/magnet rise). Gengar is the same.
Added to this was a mence (for salazone/magnemence), with roost/eq/d-claw/dd. Natural synergy, and works as a further luke check (it was mandatory for me to have as many checks to luke as possible when I have cursetar). Dancing gliscor could work here as well (enjoys sandstorm, and lack of steels).
Mence is benefitted further due to the fact that scizor is also one of it's most common checks.

Perhaps I could consider your tar set to help remove blissey. My team has a few problems, so I feel the need to rebuild it, although the core has great synergy. I will likely try and rebuild it off the same base.

Luxor, my advice is expanding synergy much more then simply throwing combos together (and even more then attempting to get them to fit your specifications like you described). You can pick a central combination, and then work off of it, expanding it.

Such a start can also help guide one to a team with a central, unified, strategy.
-The problem with filling the remaining holes is that I need to fill them with pokemon that fit well, and can cover the weaknesses well. Of the pokemon I mentioned, if 'gar goes down, specially based all out attacking mix ape says gg, for example.

EDIT: I forgot to give credit. I was inspired/got the idea from you after reading that post some time ago.

I use Latias + Lucario with some success.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Crunch / Stone Edge / Ice Punch

Jolly to outrun Mamoswine, who likes to switch in and annoy Latias. A standard SD Luke with....

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Trick
-Filler (I use Wish)

And the bait. Lure out CB Tyranitars and allow them to Pursuit you, only to lol as you SD on the Pursuit locked mofo. 4x Resist to Pursuit + Immunity to Tyranitar's Sandstorm = pwn. Also, Latias and Lucario cover each other's weaknesses perfectly, and Latias can also check many common Luke switch-ins such as Salamence (as they EQ / Fire Blast / DD), Gyarados, Gliscor, Zapdos (kinda), etc.

Luxor, my advice is expanding synergy much more then simply throwing combos together (and even more then attempting to get them to fit your specifications like you described). You can pick a central combination, and then work off of it, expanding it.

Such a start can also help guide one to a team with a central, unified, strategy.
-The problem with filling the remaining holes is that I need to fill them with pokemon that fit well, and can cover the weaknesses well. Of the pokemon I mentioned, if 'gar goes down, specially based all out attacking mix ape says gg, for example.
Thanks for bringing that up, I really should have included that in my last post. Building around an idea or concept is certainly crucial to team building and the choice of combos and synergies to be used- my phrasing was rather awkward before. So, instead of trying to patch it up I think I'll restate what we all seem to agree the basic points are, you could call them the "steps to team building." I just have to get this out.

The essential elements of a successful team are:
1. The creation of a central plan or strategy. The entire team becomes built around this. If I for example was building up for a DD Mence sweep, that would fulfill this "step."
2. The establishment of certain vital jobs that will need to be completed for the central strategy to work. For example, Swampert may interfere with my DD Mence sweep. I will therefore need something to deal with Swampert. It could be a lure, revenge killer, etc. I will need something that can take a hit and give me extra resistances. SR will probably need to be laid down. Other jobs can include Spinners, Physical/Special walls, wallbreakers, status absorbers, specific counters, etc.
3. The filling of the above jobs with Pokemon that can take advantage of their defensive/offensive synergy. For example, maybe I will use a MixGross to bait out and KO Swampert. That gives me the useful pairing of Metagross/Salamence, resisting each other's weaknesses fantastically. Then perhaps I'll use a Heatran lead. It follows that I can use Celebi as a physical wall, for the famous CeleTran.
4. Checking/Modifying the team to make sure it is balanced offensively and defensively. On the defensive side, you will likely check that you have two or more resists to common attacking types. Offensively, you will want your team to consist of a multitude of attacking types, lest you be caught against a Heatran with no Ground attacks.

Alright, now I think I can say that I've covered my view of synergies with respect to team building. It's pretty longwinded and likely misplaced, but it serves me well. Paramylodon's team in the post previous to this is an example of what I mean.

And on a different subject, Gengar/Latias work well as an offensive combo. They share similar counters, so once one's counters are eliminated the other can sweep. Infernape/Lucario are another nice pair for this.

Just as a comment, I don't think mixape will do a very good job of luring swampert out at all (who uses swampert as their ape counter/check when specially based mixapes always have grass knot?).
However, something like mixgross or mixrachi would work very well at luring out pert (pert is often a great answer to metagross/jirachi, but the unexpected mixed variant can KO with grass knot).
Also, I don't think you'd need a scarfer for opposing scarfers. Something bulky enough to take all the unboosted hits, or better yet something that can take advantage of the oppurtunity and set up, works. I don't really like choiced pokemon very much in general, and as TAY said in one thread, bulky offense teams lack scarfers typically.

Those were just a few criticisms, although I see your point.

I use Latias + Lucario with some success.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Crunch / Stone Edge / Ice Punch

Jolly to outrun Mamoswine, who likes to switch in and annoy Latias. A standard SD Luke with....

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Trick
-Filler (I use Wish)

And the bait. Lure out CB Tyranitars and allow them to Pursuit you, only to lol as you SD on the Pursuit locked mofo. 4x Resist to Pursuit + Immunity to Tyranitar's Sandstorm = pwn. Also, Latias and Lucario cover each other's weaknesses perfectly, and Latias can also check many common Luke switch-ins such as Salamence (as they EQ / Fire Blast / DD), Gyarados, Gliscor, Zapdos (kinda), etc.
A few criticisms:
1) Adamant Lucario already outruns Adamant Mamoswine. On top of that, Lucario OHKOes Mamoswine w/ Extremespeed after two SR switchins. So if that's the only reason, it's not worth losing a significant amount of power.
2) This combo has already been posted.
3) Scarf Latias- given it makes Latias more pursuit bait, that's fine for this combo. For the filler, I'd recommend HP Fire over Wish. HP Fire helps deals with Steel switchins, that come in to set up on Latias.

if i'm not mistaken, most mamoswine run jolly in order to outrun adamant lucario. the attack drop isn't great, but if you're that concerned about outrunning mamo i think jolly is fine, it could have some surprise factor.

A couple of cores I love to use:

Supporting Core:

Latias
@ Leftovers
Calm
Levitate
252 HP / 116 Def / 112 SpD / 28 Spe

Thunder Wave/Toxic
Wish/Recover
Roar/Refresh
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

+

Jirachi
@ Light Clay/Leftovers
Impish
Serene Grace
240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe

Reflect
Light Screen/U-Turn
Reflect/Wish
Iron Head
Body Slam

Comments: These two are a fantastic support duo either way you run them. If you use the left sets, you have Wish passing, Phazing, Dual Screens and plenty of paralysis to spread around all while covering each other very well (save Dark and Bug attacks but Reflect is great here). That Jirachi can take on all physical attackers who don't resist the two attacks and can even hax some who do. The set owns Tyranitar who is Paraflinched to death quickly. Basically, these two can support the entire team with the left sets.

With the right sets, you maintain wish support but let Latias focus on status (either move will do but Toxic is better) and let her be self-sufficient as she is nearly impossible to out stall (particularly for the Screened turns) and can take down anything lacking real power (and even some things that can hurt, if you have dual screens).

Next is the offense core, rather than give sets as there are many possibilities, I will just list them and comment.

Heatran and Heracross

Comment: Both of these can be scarfed for insane coverage on both sides of the spectrum while absorbing status (except paralysis, to an extent) and being very bulky. Their types are covered nearly perfect except for Water attacks on Heatran. Alternatively, both can be sweepers with Swords Dance Hera and Life Orb Tran. Of course now you need paralysis support but the two together can make for a sweet bulky offense duo. Finally, you can run their alternative sets like Rest-Talk or Substitute sets. Mixing and matching sets can be done to fit your team.

Some combos in here seem to be based of off pure theory just throwing two Pokemon with good typing together into a team. For instance, Choice Hera and Choice Tran is a terrible combo together. Yes, they have good type coverage but any Salamence or Gyarados can come in on a Fire Blast or Close Combat, Dragon Dance up and sweep them both. Gyarados may need a Jolly nature to avoid Explosion however from Heatran.

Lucario and Scarf Latias is certainly interesting since it is Pursuit bait but that requires the Pursuiter to be Choiced. Latias may not even be the best candidate for that anyway. Gengar could work as well and is almost sure to die from Scizor. I'd rather use Dual Screen Latias or Uxie to set up an SD Luke sweep. That will usually let you get more dances so their Lucario counter fails at its job.

Celebi and Ninjask (yes, Ninjask): Celebi uses Leech Seed when its low on health, then dies and in comes... Ninjask. With its terrible HP stat, it will gain most likely more than it loses from substitute every turn, and then can BP these boosts to the rest of your team. Many times, Celebi counters will use U-turn, which Ninjask can come in on and take little damage thanks to its 4x resist.
ninjask only 2x resists u-turn bug doesn't resist bug

Some combos in here seem to be based of off pure theory just throwing two Pokemon with good typing together into a team. For instance, Choice Hera and Choice Tran is a terrible combo together. Yes, they have good type coverage but any Salamence or Gyarados can come in on a Fire Blast or Close Combat, Dragon Dance up and sweep them both. Gyarados may need a Jolly nature to avoid Explosion however from Heatran.

Lucario and Scarf Latias is certainly interesting since it is Pursuit bait but that requires the Pursuiter to be Choiced. Latias may not even be the best candidate for that anyway. Gengar could work as well and is almost sure to die from Scizor. I'd rather use Dual Screen Latias or Uxie to set up an SD Luke sweep. That will usually let you get more dances so their Lucario counter fails at its job.
Ok, for one, if you are relying on the two of them to reliably counter Salamence AND Gyarados, you're team is probably bad anyway. Secondly, as for Salamence, if it wants to beat Heracross, it will have to Fire Blast or Outrage which is fine for Heatran (with HP Ice). For Gyarados, Heracross can beat it with Stone Edge and will out speed even after a DD.

The heracross heatran combo is interesting, as I used it on my most recent team. I prefer CB heracross though, because it hits so much harder, and subtran is just a personal preference.

A few criticisms:
1) Adamant Lucario already outruns Adamant Mamoswine. On top of that, Lucario OHKOes Mamoswine w/ Extremespeed after two SR switchins. So if that's the only reason, it's not worth losing a significant amount of power.
2) This combo has already been posted.
3) Scarf Latias- given it makes Latias more pursuit bait, that's fine for this combo. For the filler, I'd recommend HP Fire over Wish. HP Fire helps deals with Steel switchins, that come in to set up on Latias.
I find that a lot of Mamo's run Jolly specifically to outrun Adamant Lucario. But thanks for the criticisms!

Infernape, Empoleon, and Gliscor actually work well together on a balanced team. This is all in theory by the way, but they work well together. They can all sweep and have at least some bulk (even though I might be stretching it on Infernape). They all have the ability to Stat-up and sweep. You should be using their good synergy to capitalize on this and get free turns as the opponents switch to the appropriate counter. Empoleon can go for a special sweep, Gliscor can go for a physical sweep, and Infernape can go for a special sweep with CC thrown in.

Just as a comment, I don't think mixape will do a very good job of luring swampert out at all (who uses swampert as their ape counter/check when specially based mixapes always have grass knot?).
However, something like mixgross or mixrachi would work very well at luring out pert (pert is often a great answer to metagross/jirachi, but the unexpected mixed variant can KO with grass knot).
Also, I don't think you'd need a scarfer for opposing scarfers. Something bulky enough to take all the unboosted hits, or better yet something that can take advantage of the oppurtunity and set up, works. I don't really like choiced pokemon very much in general, and as TAY said in one thread, bulky offense teams lack scarfers typically.

Those were just a few criticisms, although I see your point.
Yeah, I was kind of tired when I wrote it and like many people, I've never really thought of MixGross.
And the Scarfer thing is mostly because I've been building fragile offense teams lately, and haven't had room for anything like Swampert to take a hit.
So, it was kind of biased towards my personal experience and whatnot.
EDIT: I edited that post with some of what you said.

Anyway, about Ape+Gliscor+Empoleon. As someone in a previous thread pointed out, GlisColeon is by itself a powerful combo. Together, they resist every type in the game bar Grass. One of them also guards the physical side, the other the special. They're also good for reasons you noted. Basically, the Infernape is unnecessary, although always a good choice imo.

And as for Adamant vs. Jolly Lucario, run Jolly. You need an answer to Jolly Mamoswine, and I'll bet my avatar that Jolly Mamoswine usage is rising.

And let's just get it out there, any Dragon Pokemon + any Steel Pokemon = Success.
So MetaMence, LatiRachi, FlyCario, anything like that is pretty good.

Well, in terms of defensive pairings, one I just realized (I'm sure others have too) is Gyarados and Steelix (yes, not OU).

Gyarados is weak to Electric and Rock, resistant to Fighting, Ground, Fire, Water

Steelix is weak to Fire, Fighting, Ground, Water, resistant to Rock, Electric (and about everything else).

Now, Grass Knot will ruin your fun as it's a strong, neutral attack hitting on both for big damage so SOME extra support is useful but in terms of physical walling, Steelix is one of the best and can greatly benefit from Gyarados' Intimidate. Steelix can also Toxic Shuffle like a champ and set up Stealth Rocks, softening the opponent up for a Gyarados sweep.

Well, in terms of defensive pairings, one I just realized (I'm sure others have too) is Gyarados and Steelix (yes, not OU).

Gyarados is weak to Electric and Rock, resistant to Fighting, Ground, Fire, Water

Steelix is weak to Fire, Fighting, Ground, Water, resistant to Rock, Electric (and about everything else).

Now, Grass Knot will ruin your fun as it's a strong, neutral attack hitting on both for big damage so SOME extra support is useful but in terms of physical walling, Steelix is one of the best and can greatly benefit from Gyarados' Intimidate. Steelix can also Toxic Shuffle like a champ and set up Stealth Rocks, softening the opponent up for a Gyarados sweep.
One problem with this is that a lot of Gyarados counters are Special attackers who can then proceed to hit Steelix very hard on his weaker stat if they predict his switch-in or simply don't run a choice item.

Alright, I got a new one for you guys. It's worked with great success, and, surprisingly, is able to defeat the top 6 Pokemon in the OU, and then some.

@ Leftovers
- Surf
- Hidden Power Electric
- Ice Beam
- Wish
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def / 188 HP / 68 SAtk

@Choice Scarf
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Signal Beam
- Explosion
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Clearly, Magnezone and Vaporeon are running slightly unorthodox sets, but as previously stated, they can take on the top 6 in the OU. Here's how:

#1 Scizor- Switch Magnezone in and kill it with fire!

#2 Salamence- After a DD, this guy is hard to take down. This guy forces both Pokemon to work. After a DD, Salamence can only OHKO Vaporeon with Outrage. If he apts not to Outrage, he will be OHKOed by Ice Beam. If he Outrages, he will OHKO Vaporeon, but Magnezone switches in, Explodes after taking an Outrage, thus ending the Salamence sweep. Yeah, you lose two Pokemon, but it's better than being 6-0ed.

#3 Gyarados- Vaporeon switches in on Waterfall, attacks with HP Electric, and will OHKO about 20% of the time w/ SR down or Gyarados has taken previous damage (a Life Orb deduction will do.) CB sets are handles easily by Magnezone provided he does not switch into an EQ.

#4 Heatran- Vaporeon handles any set quite nicely. If Heatran is running a Life Orb set and is down to about 50% damage, Magnezone can KO with Thunderbolt.

#5 Infernape- Vaporeon take little from NP Mix ape's attacks and KOes with Surf. Magnezone outspeeds any set (barring Choice Scarf, which I have yet to see) and KOes with Thunderbolt.

#6 Metagross- Switch Magnezone in on a Bullet Punch and kill it with fire!

Comments, suggestions, etc. etc. etc. appreciated.

ExplorerAce, actually on a x2 weak to Fire/neutral to Electric, like most Steels, Magnezone's Thunderbolt is stronger. 100 x 1.5 = 150; 70 x 2 = 140. Just a nitpick. HP Fire is basically just for Scizor slaying.

Actually, Thunderbolt's Power is 95, which multiplied by 1.5 is 142.5. So it's not really much of a gain over HP Fire. HP Fire isn't also stopped dead by Ground types. It also prevents foe Magnezones from coming in and kicking your butt. So yeah, there is purpose to HP Fire.

Reviving this thread.

I recall an old combination from 2007/2008.
Heatran + Gyarados + any pure grass (Tangrowth)

Heatran
Weaknesses: Water, Fighting, Ground
Resistances/Immunities: Normal, Grass, Ice, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel, Fire

Gyarados
Weaknesses: Rock, Electric
Resistances/Immunities: Fire, Water, Fighting, Ground, Bug, Steel

Pure Grass
Weaknesses: Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison
Resistances: Electric, Grass, Ground, Water.

As you can see, they each cover another's weaknesses, and together resist all types except Rock.

The standard sets back then were, SubSalac, TauntDDDos, Mojonbo (or a similar set)

I do not know how well this would function in today's metagame. I think Tangrowth could be replaced by Sceptile to make it slightly more offensive.

^Pure grass types resist Rock.

I got a one I just got rid of: Magnezone + Dragonite.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 64 ATK / 196 SPE
Adamant Nature
~ Roost
~ Light Screen
~ Outrage
~ Dragon Dance

+

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SPA / 220 SPE
Naive Nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ HP Fire
~ Explosion
~ Flash Canon

Unfortunately, it didn't do too well.

The whole idea was: Magnezone kills steel types, revenge kills things with Ice Beam / Ice Shard / etc. Dragonite uses Light Screen + Dragon Dance + Roost for a very slow sweep which can take a priority attack. Magnezone unfortunately can't run HP Ice over Explosion (only choice against Salamence) as Scizor does 50%~ to Dragonite.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

This is a little bit situational, but if you're ever having trouble with threats on the field (SR, Spikes, TS):

Tentacruel + Weavile

Tentacruel sucks up toxic spikes, and can rapid spin away the others. The common solution would be to switch in a ghost to cancel the RS, so you just switch in Weavile, and pursuit them to death. (With a choice band, pursuit should OHKO any switching ghosts, and the only non-switching one that survives is Dusknoir, who you can 2HKO anyways).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)