OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

Share some good cores you have found to work well in the new metagame here.

I'll start off with a core I made trying to counter Techniloom and Keldeo but ended up turning to a great core to counter Rain too and is used on almost all my new teams.

Latios @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Calm Mind
~ Psyshock
~ Recover
~ Dragon Pulse

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Thundebolt
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power[Fire]
~ Flash Cannon

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
~ Recover
~ Psychic
~ Giga Drain
~ Hidden Power [Fire]

I have been running this particular Latios Calm Mind set on my sandstorm and Rain teams, Surf can be used over Recover but I would opt not to because Latios is usually really important to beat a bunch of new threats so we need it to last alive for aslong as possible. I have it paired with Magnezone on my team, Magnezone and Latios form a great duo simply due to the fact that Latios can perform a sweep after Magnezone gets rid of steel types, Magnezone also lures out Breloom which will opt to either go for Mach Punch or Spore, Latios is able to switch into both and scare Breloom away with a super effective Psyshock.However despite being able to counter standard Swords Dance variants of Techniloom this combo struggles against Choice Band sets running Low Sweep, due to this problem I have been running an offensive Celebi to counter The Low Sweep Choice Band set, seeing as Celebi is not 2hko'd by Breloom at full health (Its easy to keep Celebi at 90% + Health thanks to recover) it can switch in and get a clean OHKO with Psychic.I am really enjoying running this core not only to counter Breloom but because Latios/Magnezone/Celebi also seem to do very well against opposing rain teams which are so common.

Scarf Magneton > Scarf Magnezone. It's faster so it can outspeed things like +1 Dragonite/Gyarados, Starmie, and Tornadus-T.

Tornadus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Substitute/Rock Tomb

This core is nothing revolutionary but very effective nonetheless. Obviously paired with Drizzle support. Tornadus-T is a difficult Pokemon to counter thanks to its high speed and power. Regenerator and its decent bulk make it difficult to revenge kill too. Very few Pokemon can take a Choice Specs Hurricane, but those that can are easily trapped by Dugtrio (Jirachi, Heatran, Tyranitar, Magnezone). Dugtrio also traps opposing weather starters so that Tornadus can freely spam 100% accurate Hurricanes.

Sleep Talk is pretty useful on Tornadus since Politoed often baits Spores/Sleep Powders from the likes of Amoonguss, Breloom, and Venusaur.

I like using Rock Tomb on Dugtrio because things like Gyarados and Dragonite can easily setup on it once it traps something. Rock Tomb negates the Dragon Dance boost so that Tornadus-T can finish them off with Hurricane.

Sayonara

don't forget

Slowbro @ Leftovers | Regenerator
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
~ Scald
~ Psychic
~ Slack Off
~ Flamethrower

Amoonguss @ Leftovers | Regenerator
Calm | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~ Spore
~ Giga Drain
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Clear Smog

Amoongus can switch-into Electric and Grass-type moves aimed towards Slowbro, while the latter can switch into Fire, Ice and Psychic type attacks aimed towards Amoongus. Slowbro walls pretty much everything on the physical side, and Amoonguss walls everything on the special side. Thanks to Regenerator, both these guys can repetitively switch into attacks, and gain health when switching out. Additionally, Amoonguss' Spore incapacitates an opponent for pretty much the whole match, which is great.

I use a standard FWG core comprising of Heatran, Gastrodon and Celebi, and it has done me well so far. The set helps counter most weather and the threats that come with it. Heatran walls sun teams for the most part, while Gastrodon does a fair job dealing with rain teams. Celebi completes the core by adding a couple of crucial resistances to fighting and ground. Couple them with a stallbreaker and an offensive core that isn't very susceptible to passive damage, and you have a decent team in your hands.

The sets I use are pretty standard; stuff you can find on their analysis pages. Specially defensive heatran, Wall Gastrodon with a Tinkerbell Celebi. I'm considering making Celebi physically defensive though, as it would allow her to sponge hits from the likes of Terrakion and Breloom better, but I'm finding the power and utility in the tinkerbell set too good to pass up.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scarf Magneton > Scarf Magnezone. It's faster so it can outspeed things like +1 Dragonite/Gyarados, Starmie, and Tornadus-T.

Tornadus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
[B]IVs: 0 Atk[/B]
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

[IMG]
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
[B]IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef[/B]
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Substitute/Rock Tomb

This core is nothing revolutionary but very effective nonetheless. Obviously paired with Drizzle support. Tornadus-T is a difficult Pokemon to counter thanks to its high speed and power. Regenerator and its decent bulk make it difficult to revenge kill too. Very few Pokemon can take a Choice Specs Hurricane, but those that can are easily trapped by Dugtrio (Jirachi, Heatran, Tyranitar, Magnezone). Dugtrio also traps opposing weather starters so that Tornadus can freely spam 100% accurate Hurricanes.

Sleep Talk is pretty useful on Tornadus since Politoed often baits Spores/Sleep Powders from the likes of Amoonguss, Breloom, and Venusaur.

I like using Rock Tomb on Dugtrio because things like Gyarados and Dragonite can easily setup on it once it traps something. Rock Tomb negates the Dragon Dance boost so that Tornadus-T can finish them off with Hurricane.[/QUOTE]

Lol that specs tornadus we argued about. Not saying anything here, just questioning the IV's you added. Why 0 Atk or 21 Atk IV's or something like that? You're not runninh Hidden Power, so why not flat out 31 IV's for everything?

will also point out that Expert Physic's set looks quite solid. I'll try it.

Lol that specs tornadus we argued about. Not saying anything here, just questioning the IV's you added. Why 0 Atk or 21 Atk IV's or something like that? You're not runninh Hidden Power, so why not flat out 31 IV's for everything?
It's to ensure that Dugtrio hits 1 HP and activates Sash, boosting Reversal's power to ridiculous levels. A Reversal at 11% HP is half the power of one at 1% HP.

Pretty sure the HP IVs have nothing to do with focus sash activating...If you were worried dugtrio was bulky enough to take a hit, then why 21 HP IVs instead of just 0? SR or spikes?

will also point out that Expert Physic's set looks quite solid. I'll try it.
I usually reduce the ATK IVs of special attackers to 0 since it minimizes the damage you take from confusion. Not a big deal but it could help.

Dugtrio's IVs are to ensure that practically any attack reduces its HP to 1 to maximize reversal. It's annoying when Dugtrio gets hit and ends up with like 11% HP. However, 21 HP IVs give it 201 HP, the minimum HP to survive 2 seismic tosses for a full power reversal.

The IVs aren't game changing. The only reason I listed them is because I just copied my team's exportable from Pokemon Showdown and was too lazy to remove it. :P

I should also note that 0 attack ivs reduces any foul play damage, while not the biggest thing, it can help against sableye.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Def / 140 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Pretty much the ole Skarm-Bliss core, but with you know, Chansey, I find Chansey works a lot better in this current meta due to everything running superpower. If you don't know the idea is to take a majority of special and physical hits with the pair, of course there are plenty of pokemon that can break through this nowadays, but that is what the rest of your team is for.

Hello Hazards

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect / Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Works Great on Rain, even better against it.

I don't think you can go past SpDef Jirachi plus one of Latias or SpDef Amoonguss. Easily handle Keldeo, Tornadus, Thundurus, and a lot of the other relevant meta threats.

Thundurus-T at +2 in Rain OHKOs Jirachi ~80% of the time with rocks up and OHKOs Amoongus ~70% of the time with HP ice and Tornadus-T WITHOUT WEATHER and, also with rocks up, cleanly 2HKOs Jirachi with heat Wave and in the sun can OHKO like 56% of the time

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Most Tornadus-T don't run Heat Wave, and a lot of Thundurus-T don't run Nasty Plot. NP Thundy-T has no counters anyway, except maybe Unaware Quagsire. (Or maybe Lightningrod Seaking? lol) (EDIT: Seaking can't take a boosted Focus Blast, but Thundy needs +6 to have a chance to OHKO with HP Ice). And while you're Heat Waving Jirachi, it uses Body Slam/Thunder Wave and paralyzes you, and haxes you to death.

Anyway, I've been running Slowbro+Amoonguss alongside Heatran, and in my opinion it's even better than Slowguss alone. At this point it really needs a Ground immunity and a way to handle Tornadus-T, but it's still solid.

Quagsire fully specially defensive is a counter to NP Thundurus-T, except Grass Knot which is never used.

Neutral natured Thundurus does to Quagsire 34% to 40%, If Life Orbed, 45-53%, never KOes with Leftovers, which Quagsire must carry, but a bit risky.

Thundurus-T at +2 in Rain OHKOs Jirachi ~80% of the time with rocks up and OHKOs Amoongus ~70% of the time with HP ice and Tornadus-T WITHOUT WEATHER and, also with rocks up, cleanly 2HKOs Jirachi with heat Wave and in the sun can OHKO like 56% of the time
-__- Thundurus-T meets Latias, which walls it easily, outspeeds non-Scarfed versions (Scarf HP Ice doesn't get close to a 2HKO) and can set up Calm Minds. Please try to read what I say before saying I'm wrong.

Lol, ive been trollin Showdown with this:

Weezing @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Stockpile/Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Payback
- Protect

Kinda surprised that this core still works.

Weezing @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Stockpile/Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Payback
- Protect

The main problem I can see is that this core is major setup bait for Special Attackers like Reuniclus Charge Beam Magnezone, and Virizion. Even Reuniclus laughs at Payback, and all are capable of setting up multiple boosts. Umbreon is unable to do any damage, and Weezing can't switch in without being swiftly OHKO'd. Umbreon is sorely outclassed in this metagame, even with the nice synergy it has with Weezing. Really, I think you'd be better off just using Blissey for a Special Wall. At least she can break subs with Seismic Toss and threaten with Status.

I know, the duo has its weaknesses. I've been rounding it out with the other members of the team.

Wobb really poops all over reuniclus.

Amoonguss+Slowbro core works very well for me, the only problem is Slowbro being weak to bug and Amoonguss taking neutral damage from it. Aside from that, I think it's pretty solid.

My team has always had an issue with EQ and fighting, which they both solve!

Weezing @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Stockpile/Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Payback
- Protect

In most cases I think Foul Play is going to be better on Umbreon.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Since most of the cores posted are defensive, I thought I would post an offensive core I've had much success with on the ladder

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant I Clear Body
EV's: 252HP / 220Atk / 36Spd
Meteor Mash/ Zen Headbutt/ Bullet Punch/ Earthquake

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid I Natural Cure
EV's: 4Def/ 252SpA/ 252Spd
Rapid Spin/ Surf/ Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant I Multiscale
EV's: 8HP/ 248Atk/ 252Spd
ExtremeSpeed/ Fire Punch / Superpower/ Outrage

Dragonite and Metagross have amazing synergy together and work together to blow holes in the opposition. Starmie is used to maximize Dragonite's switch ins and beat the Physical walls that annoy the duo such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Starmie also doubles as a burn absorber and Metagross can take T-Wave and Toxic without an issue so status isn't a great worry for this core either

With all the massive boosts in speed and power, my new favourite core for BW2 has to be a golden oldie from the first BW metagame:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
Careful: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spe
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Mach Punch

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
Bold: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Recover

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
Careful: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spe
-Curse
-Recover
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch

Conkeldurr/Reuniclus has existed forever, though BW2 has given Conkeldurr a great new toy: Ice Punch. With Ice Punch, Conkeldurr can now break Virizion, Dragonite, Salamence, Gliscor etc., 2HKOing all of them with 1 or even no boosts. Reuniclus hasn't changed, but it is still a fantastic partner for Conkeldurr. To round it all out, I added Curse Quagsire to beat bulky CM'ers and Volcarona, which the team struggles against without Conkeldurr's Payback or Stone Edge. The only thing that's at all worrying is a sleep absorber, but that can be mitigated by simply sacking the least important member of you team.

Since most of the cores posted are defensive, I thought I would post an offensive core I've had much success with on the ladder

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant I Clear Body
EV's: 252HP / 220Atk / 36Spd
Meteor Mash/ Zen Headbutt/ Bullet Punch/ Earthquake

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid I Natural Cure
EV's: 4Def/ 252SpA/ 252Spd
Rapid Spin/ Surf/ Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant I Multiscale
EV's: 8HP/ 248Atk/ 252Spd
ExtremeSpeed/ Fire Punch / Superpower/ Outrage

Dragonite and Metagross have amazing synergy together and work together to blow holes in the opposition. Starmie is used to maximize Dragonite's switch ins and beat the Physical walls that annoy the dua such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Starmie also doubles as a burn absorber and Metagross can take T-Wave and Toxic without an issue so status isn't a great worry for this core either
This core looks interesting. What kind of team mates, should be used to make this core work? Would this work well in a weather team, such as rain etc? Or would it work better in a weatherless team. I'm interested in making a team, out of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)