Salamence@life orb
Ability moxie
Nature Adamant
Evs 252 attack 252 speed 4 hp
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge

These two together are amazing. They resist each others weaknesses, which gives them a chance to use nasty plot or dragon dance while he opponent switches. It is very effective and has great coverage

Lucario has the 4MSS so badly :(

Physical, Mixed, Special, Agility : It's such a shame to have so big movepool and only 4 slots !

@sewa

I honestly think it is more viable to have hp fire rather than a priority move. You could put vacuum wave instead of hp fire but with scizor and others running around you will need it.

@sewa

I honestly think it is more viable to have hp fire rather than a priority move. You could put vacuum wave instead of hp fire but with scizor and others running around you will need it.
252 +2 SpAtk Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs 248 HP/0 SpDef Scizor: 122.74% - 144.61% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You don't need HP Fire.

Also, NP Lucario should really be Timid, especially if it isn't carrying priority. Even so, you should drop HP Fire for Vacuum Wave. No extra coverage move is needed as you'll be hitting things hard enough with +2 Aura Sphere/Shadow Balls and it is generally more useful to be able to hit faster pokemon trying to revenge you- think about the popularity of Terrakion etc.

Here is a core that I have found to be one of the most successful that I have used in this metagame:

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
~Dragon Claw
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Timid: 4hp/252SpA/252Spe
~Volt Switch
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Fire
~Flash Cannon

Combining a Salamence with a Steel trapper has always been one of the more effective ways of eliminating the Steel types that would end his sweep. This Magneton set can take care of most steel types in OU besides its older brother and some variations of Jirachi (who may sometimes Escape with U-Turn). This duo is often paired up with at least one other dragon-typed pokemon that can also benefit from the elimination of opposing steels. I prefer using Specs Latios, who is very capable of using Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse more freely.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i am honestly surprised that no one has mentioned:

keldeo @leftovers/life orb
modest/timid
252 SpA/ 252 speed
- hydro pump
- secret sword
- hp ice
- calm mind/substitute

&

terrakion @rock gem/life orb
adamant/jolly
252 atk/ 252 speed
- Stone edge
- close combat
- substitute
- X-scissor/ hp ice/ hp ghost

being really similar, yet different enough, they take care of each other's counters, etc. im still working on what movesets, etc, but they deal with a lot, very efficiently. different pokes give this a hard time though, like amoongbro core, jellicent, etc, but with the right teammates, all those problems disappear. i believe max speed keldeo outspeeds +1 dnite, but im not sure. havent done any calcs yet, as its still theorymoning.

any set changes to make more efficient? both scarved can do a lot of damage to put holes in a team, but setting up is also good.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Latios (M) @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Recover / Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Keldeo-R @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Obviously an offensive core and it aims to remove every check/counter to CM Keldeo. If you ever wanted something to manhandle the vast majority of those, look no further than CBTar. With Pursuit, it eliminates just about every fast, frail Psychic or Ghost type that might think of being a roadblock for Keldeo. This includes Lati@s, Starmie, Gengar, and Alakazam. Crunch raises the middle finger to Jellicent and Slowbro. Stone Edge destroys Flying types that may get a bright idea of revenge killing Keldeo. Then there's Latios. Latios seems out of place, but it removes Terrakion, Breloom, Dragonite, and others that may aim to revenge kill Keldeo. It also destroys the Amoonbro + Heatran core with the given moves, easing the pressure on Keldeo to make smart predictions. With Keldeo, you actually get a Fighting/Psychic/Dark core with the 3 and Keldeo scares out the bulky Waters, Scizor, and Mamoswine that may come in on the first two, giving it a perfect chance to setup and sweep. A counter to Tornadus-T is pretty much mandatory as the LO version cuts through this core. Hazard support and a sturdy Dragon type resistor is also welcomed (sounds like Jirachi would be nice)

Timid Alakazam @Life Orb outspeeds and OHKOs Ttar with Focus Blast, the same with Gengar. In the latter's case, it also OHKOs Latios with Shadow Ball, though it is a speed tie. So you have around a (50% for the speed tie * 70% for the wonderful Focus Blast hitting) 35% chance that Gengar screws over two of your pokes. Alakazam can do the same if it's behind a sub (for a full-health Latios).

Of course, Focus Blast is far from being the most reliable move, but there's a reason it's in both Gengar and Alakazam's most used sets. In the core in question, CBTar is supposed to deal with these specific threats, and as it turns out, there's only a 30% chance it will be able to do so.

After some calcs, LO Alakazam vs LO Latios (which is the only member of this core who can switch into a Focus Blast):

Focus Blast: 26.8%-31.5%
Shadow Ball: 70.9%-84.1%

Minimum 97.7%, IF Focus Blast hits. Any previous damage, and Latios is a dead dragon chicken.

Also notice that Starmie, Azelf and Latios also speed-tie or outspeed everyone in this core, but they cannot OHKO CBTar, and have negligible chances of surviving a Pursuit.

Of course, Focus Blast is far from being the most reliable move, but there's a reason it's in both Gengar and Alakazam's most used sets. In the core in question, CBTar is supposed to deal with these specific threats, and as it turns out, there's only a 30% chance it will be able to do so.

After some calcs, LO Alakazam vs LO Latios (which is the only member of this core who can switch into a Focus Blast):

Focus Blast: 26.8%-31.5%
Shadow Ball: 70.9%-84.1%

Minimum 97.7%, IF Focus Blast hits. Any previous damage, and Latios is a dead dragon chicken.

Also notice that Starmie, Azelf and Latios also speed-tie or outspeed everyone in this core, but they cannot OHKO CBTar, and have negligible chances of surviving a Pursuit.
Okay, so it has trouble with a few special attackers. This would be a problem, except for the fact that there are three other team members you can use to beat them. In fact, he actually recommended Jirachi in his post, which takes a pittance from what you listed (Although it would want Zen Headbutt to beat SubDisable Gengar). This is sort of a pointless nitpick.

Oh, sorry, I'm not criticizing the core as a whole. My main problem is with the role CBTar has in it, with two of the pokes it supposedly counters OHKOing it.

Weavile actually deals with all the aforementioned pokes, besides outspeeding and (after rocks) KOing Tornadus-T with Ice Punch.

Of course there are three extra slots in your team, but we are discussing cores. There's not a lot of sense in having a 6-mon "core" ;)

This is something I have been testing for a while now..

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

+

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Secret Sword

This is a really solid offensive partnership, both hitting each other's counters easily. They both have great offensive coverage in their moves and very little wants to switch into either of them. Ironically, these both sport very similar offensive and defensive stats, while having very different counters. The only thing I have found that can actually beat this core somewhat is Psyshock Latias, which even then needs some investment to OHKO both.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^ i already posted something similar.....only difference is that i used set-up sets rather than straight-up attacking...

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
i am honestly surprised that no one has mentioned:

keldeo @leftovers/life orb
modest/timid
252 SpA/ 252 speed
- hydro pump
- secret sword
- hp ice
- calm mind/substitute

&

terrakion @rock gem/life orb
adamant/jolly
252 atk/ 252 speed
- Stone edge
- close combat
- substitute
- X-scissor/ hp ice/ hp ghost

being really similar, yet different enough, they take care of each other's counters, etc. im still working on what movesets, etc, but they deal with a lot, very efficiently. different pokes give this a hard time though, like amoongbro core, jellicent, etc, but with the right teammates, all those problems disappear. i believe max speed keldeo outspeeds +1 dnite, but im not sure. havent done any calcs yet, as its still theorymoning.

any set changes to make more efficient? both scarved can do a lot of damage to put holes in a team, but setting up is also good.
Keldeo can also take hits from scizor, something that every terrakion despises.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

+

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Secret Sword

This is a really solid offensive partnership, both hitting each other's counters easily. They both have great offensive coverage in their moves and very little wants to switch into either of them. Ironically, these both sport very similar offensive and defensive stats, while having very different counters. The only thing I have found that can actually beat this core somewhat is Psyshock Latias, which even then needs some investment to OHKO both.
The main thing that could give problems to this core is Jellicent. Jelli can switch into Keldeo locked into anything but Hidden Power, and Terrakion doesn't want to switch in because Jellicent could catch it on the switch with Scald, potentially neutering it for the rest of the match.
That being said, I think I'll use this. Pairing this core with a Dark type could create serious problems for opponents.

^ i already posted something similar.....only difference is that i used set-up sets rather than straight-up attacking...
They might be the same Pokemon, but you have to realise the two play very differently. When these two have a choice item attached, they pretty much bounce off eachother perfectly. For anyone who knows how good Choice Band Terrakion is, Specs Keldeo is the Special orientated equivalent, and as a result these two are very very hard to beat together. The initial power is what separates your core and mine. 252 HP / 252 Def Skarmory cannot switch into Choice Band Terrakion, whereas it can Whirlwind out Swords Dance variants while they fail to 2HKO. On the other hand, 248 HP Jellicent cannot switch into a Specs Hidden Power [Dark], while Jellicent can essentially Recover + Toxic / Will-O-Wisp stall Keldeo to an extent.

The main thing that could give problems to this core is Jellicent. Jelli can switch into Keldeo locked into anything but Hidden Power, and Terrakion doesn't want to switch in because Jellicent could catch it on the switch with Scald, potentially neutering it for the rest of the match.
That being said, I think I'll use this. Pairing this core with a Dark type could create serious problems for opponents.
Jellicent is a very shaky counter, as all Terrakion has to do is Stone Edge as it switches in. Keldeo still 2HKOs defensive variants while Terrakion deals with the Specially Defensive variants. Besides, I'm not sure who switches in Jellicent on Terrakion, for all they know you they could be a Substitute / Swords set, setting up as you Will-O-Wisp it.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

+

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Secret Sword

I actually like this a lot, although I have a small movepool nitpick to make. On Keldeo, use HP Ghost over Dark, as otherwise all it's attacks will be resisted by Toxicroak.

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Foresight

When I first used it I thought it was gimmicky at first, but it has shown to be quite a potent combination. Together, they form a solid core that is sure to aggravate any team that relies upon physical offense to do damage. This core centers upon getting CB Landorus-T to get a powerful EQ's against the opposing team. Landorus-T hits a poop-producing 640 attack with CB and is so powerful it can always 2HKO Ferrothorn with EQ. U-turn has some awesome utility for allowing me to get a double Intimidate off while tanking a hit for a team mate. Landorus-T's problems with Gliscor and Skarmory is where Gyarados comes into play. Taunt prevents Skarmory from healing and Waterfall can take out Gliscor when the opportunity arises. U-turning Landorus-T out into Gyarados in front of Skarmory is one of the most common setup oppurtunities for Gyarados is possibly one of the most satisfying things to do. Lastly, Hitmontop has good synergy with Gyarados by being able to take out Ferrothorn's hazards and Ferrothorn itself. Of course, spinning away SR allows Landorus-T and Gyarados t switch in much more frequently to get hits off and to sweep. Landorus-T used to have a bulky spread with 252 HP but the speed seems to be more useful although I wish I could go back sometimes.

The best partner for this core is a bulky Grass type to consistently switch in and take out bulky waters who use Scald. More importantly, to take on Rotom-W who could be problematic. Shaymin, Celebi, and Roserade are the best in that regard and complete an offensive core with Gyarados and Landorus-T. Ferrothorn can also work, but not being able to heal burns from Scald is annoying.

Edit: Forgot to mention a really strong special tank makes a great partner as well. Snorlax, Blissey, Latias, and Chansey are what come to mind since they can tank a variety of special hits. Basically having the special side locked down while having all these intimidate users makes the team in question very difficult to break.

Jellicent is a very shaky counter, as all Terrakion has to do is Stone Edge as it switches in. Keldeo still 2HKOs defensive variants while Terrakion deals with the Specially Defensive variants. Besides, I'm not sure who switches in Jellicent on Terrakion, for all they know you they could be a Substitute / Swords set, setting up as you Will-O-Wisp it.
I meant Jellicent switching in on Keldeo, for example on Hydro Pump after Keldeo has gotten a kill. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Anyhow...
ThePillsburyDoughBoy said:

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Foresight

When I first used it I thought it was gimmicky at first, but it has shown to be quite a potent combination. Together, they form a solid core that is sure to aggravate any team that relies upon physical offense to do damage. This core centers upon getting CB Landorus-T to get a powerful EQ's against the opposing team. Landorus-T hits a poop-producing 640 attack with CB and is so powerful it can always 2HKO Ferrothorn with EQ. U-turn has some awesome utility for allowing me to get a double Intimidate off while tanking a hit for a team mate. Landorus-T's problems with Gliscor and Skarmory is where Gyarados comes into play. Taunt prevents Skarmory from healing and Waterfall can take out Gliscor when the opportunity arises. U-turning Landorus-T out into Gyarados in front of Skarmory is one of the most common setup oppurtunities for Gyarados is possibly one of the most satisfying things to do. Lastly, Hitmontop has good synergy with Gyarados by being able to take out Ferrothorn's hazards and Ferrothorn itself. Of course, spinning away SR allows Landorus-T and Gyarados t switch in much more frequently to get hits off and to sweep. Landorus-T used to have a bulky spread with 252 HP but the speed seems to be more useful although I wish I could go back sometimes.

The best partner for this core is a bulky Grass type to consistently switch in and take out bulky waters who use Scald. More importantly, to take on Rotom-W who could be problematic. Shaymin, Celebi, and Roserade are the best in that regard and complete an offensive core with Gyarados and Landorus-T. Ferrothorn can also work, but not being able to heal burns from Scald is annoying.

Edit: Forgot to mention a really strong special tank makes a great partner as well. Snorlax, Blissey, Latias, and Chansey are what come to mind since they can tank a variety of special hits. Basically having the special side locked down while having all these intimidate users makes the team in question very difficult to break.
Um, yes. Yes, this will do quite nicely.
I would pair this core up with Specially Defensive Heatran. Heatran resists Hitmontop's Psychic weakness, Landorus' Ice weakness, and of course, special attacks. Also, the burn rate on Lava Plume only makes walling physical attackers even easier. The core also walls anyone who might use a Fighting or Ground move on Heatran, and Gyarados can soak up Water moves aimed at Heatran. With this addition, you also have some potent offenses against weather teams. Gyarados can rip stuff up in the rain, Heatran nukes stuff in sun and hail, Hitmontop punishes Sand and Hail with Close Combat, and Landorus is a pain with Sand and Sun.
Also...
ThePillsburyDoughBoy said:
poop-producing
hehehe.... God I'm immature.

Asek

Banned deucer.

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Foresight

long ass bit of text.
Versed this core on the ladder, it was pretty dammed hard to break . Intimidate rinse as a strategy is far more viable with the release of Landorus-T and this core can stop nearly all of OU's set up physical sweepers.
And -Rockstar- would it be possible for you to edit the OP with some of the more interesting and effective cores?

I used the LandorusT/Gyarados/Hitmontop core lately with the rest of my team being SpD Jirachi/Celebi/SpD Heatran. But Heatran was pretty much deadweight for me against rain teams and I never found Hitmontop to be all that useful (even with Rapid Spin support) so I've been thinking of replacing them both for Intimidate Arcanine. It could take take Ice attacks for Landorus and Fire attacks for Jirachi and Celebi, have at least some form of offense against rain teams with Wild Charge while still making a nice Intimidate core with Landorus and Gyarados. What do you guys think?

How do you all find cores like those? Do you look at resistances or do you find some way elsewhere?

Anyways, nice stuff. I might find some intimidate core to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)