OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

Well most of us just make cores on our own xD.

Anyways, I've played Scarf Genesect + Sub Liechi Dugtrio for a while now and it's gotten me 1550+ on Beta DW, which isn't bad. Gene can bounce off Tran and Dug can easily kill it, and the same goes for most of Gene's other counters.

Anyways, I've just found an interesting Gravity core, but I'll test it first. Currently pairing them all up with members, before I go to town on everything =P

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SpA / 224 Spe
{Natural Cure}
[Scald] / [Psyshock]
[Rapid Spin]
[Recover]
[Gravity]

Landorus - T @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
{Intimidate}
[Earthquake]
[Stone Edge]
[U-Turn]
[Superpower]

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpA
{Sturdy}
[Spikes]
[HP Ice]
[Pain Split]
[Rapid Spin] / [Stealth Rock]

Well, Starmie allows Lando-T to spam Earthquake. I find that CB is slightly ineffective, but CS still works. Gravity's effect, as you most know, allows flying/levitating pokemon to be affected by EQ and by Spikes, which explains Forry's use. Forretress can also beat Haxorus locked into Outrage/Salamence without Fire Blast/Dragonite with SR and other stuff, whilst spinning in their faces. Pain Split works for recovery. SR can be used if you want, but Heatran can provide that if you like. Starmie and Forry resist everything but Rock/Flying/Electric/Ground, so Lando helps by neutralising Ground/Electric and also neutralises Rock and Flying, is Rock is mainly physical. Flying is sorta mixed, so meh. Be aware of Keldeo if you don't run Psyshock, as it can beat all of these one-on-one with Scarf or Specs. Amoonguss helps here as a team mate, so consider it.

-Rockstar- I really like Aseks Idea of you editing the Op wth some effecitve cores perhaps 1 core for stall, offense, DragnMag, etc.

p.s PilsburyDoughboy I think your Intimidate core looks awesome on paper I must try it! :)

Asek

Banned deucer.
How do you all find cores like those? Do you look at resistances or do you find some way elsewhere?

Anyways, nice stuff. I might find some intimidate core to use.
You create the core depending on what your team is aiming to do. If your stalling aim to cover as many weaknesses as possible with 2 pokemon etc. Skarmory + Blissey working due tot he fact that infernape aside, all their weaknesses are covered by the other. If your trying to build an offensive core, build it to break through the things that annoy the others. The Magnezone + Dragon core is strong, as Magnezone resist's opposing dragons that trouble your one, while removing its lone resistances on the other team with magnet pull. This opens the gate for your dragon to weaken the other team immensely.

All in all your core should be made up of 2-3 pokemon that want to accomplish something. Is it made to beat up the opponents team so that your Swords Dance Lucario can sweep? Or does it aim to lay down hazards and PHaze the opposition into submission? the most important thing to know when you build a core is what its aim is and how your going to accomplish it really.

Yeah I'll be updating the first post you guys posted some neat stuff im just deciding which ones to use.If anybody wants to help VM me

Been testing a pretty cool core of Genesect / Forretress / Dugtrio and it works amazing. Genesect forces a lot of switches in combination with Forretress's hazards is an easy way to rack up damage. Genesect also gets free switches into Dugtrio, as Dugtrio does not want to take a hit with it's very pitiful defenses. Forretress also provides Rapid Spin support which is essential as these three Pokemon will be switching a lot to force momentum, and trap threats that stand in the way of Genesect. This is especially effective against weather teams, most notably Sun and Sand as both survive a U-Turn from Genesect but are trapped but Dugtrio, essentially winning you the weather war.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

+

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd | 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Reversal

+

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef | 0 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

It's not just weather inducers that Dugtrio traps, it's more or less the main switches / common resistances and checks to Genesect, making it a lot easier for it to sweep. Combine this with hazards and Genesect really is a force to be reckoned with. Forretress is there to spin away hazards keeping Dugtrio's Focus Sash intact, while also guaranteeing a slower Volt Switch against pretty much everything in OU. This means you get another free switch into Dugtrio / Genesect, whether it be to trap or rack up even more hazard damage on your opponent.

Been testing a pretty cool core of Genesect / Forretress / Dugtrio and it works amazing. Genesect forces a lot of switches in combination with Forretress's hazards is an easy way to rack up damage. Genesect also gets free switches into Dugtrio, as Dugtrio does not want to take a hit with it's very pitiful defenses. Forretress also provides Rapid Spin support which is essential as these three Pokemon will be switching a lot to force momentum, and trap threats that stand in the way of Genesect. This is especially effective against weather teams, most notably Sun and Sand as both survive a U-Turn from Genesect but are trapped but Dugtrio, essentially winning you the weather war.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SAtk / 252 Spd
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

+

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd | 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Reversal

+

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef | 0 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

It's not just weather inducers that Dugtrio traps, it's more or less the main switches / common resistances and checks to Genesect, making it a lot easier for it to sweep. Combine this with hazards and Genesect really is a force to be reckoned with. Forretress is there to spin away hazards keeping Dugtrio's Focus Sash intact, while also guaranteeing a slower Volt Switch against pretty much everything in OU. This means you get another free switch into Dugtrio / Genesect, whether it be to trap or rack up even more hazard damage on your opponent.

So I'm assuming this core would fit nicely in a rain team? What would be the last two partners, that would fit well? I'm thinking of another rain sweeper such as toxicroak, or tornadus t.

Looks like a nice core, btw.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I'm assuming this core would fit nicely in a rain team? What would be the last two partners, that would fit well? I'm thinking of another rain sweeper such as toxicroak, or tornadus t.

Looks like a nice core, btw.
Yeah those two would probably work pretty well. This core is also extremely effective in sun.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So if I were to slap a Politoed/Forry/Genesect/Dugtrio/Tornadus T/Toxicroak together it would do well?
At a glance it lacks an Electric Resistance, but if you can win the weather war by trapping the opponent then its most likely GG. however if you find that Genesect isn't working as well as its supposed to, I'd recommend Jolteon due to Volt Absorb and the fact that it outspeeds and OHKOs opposing Tornadus-T. It also makes a nice volt-turn core and can help with trapping things like specially defensive Jirachi and Heatran.

EDIT: Okay so dugtrio counts as an electric resistance/immunity but its not reliable whatsoever

This is a core that I used to roll with; and the mindfucks are amazing

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Brick Break / Taunt

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive / Rash nature
~ Sucker Punch
~ Flamethrower
~ Swords Dance
~ Low Sweep

Bring in Zoroark disguised as Haxorus; and the mind games begin. Your opponent has 2 options - call your bluff and send in a special wall; or believe it's Haxorus and send in a steel-type to take the outrage. Pop a Swords Dance with Zoroark - at this point, your opponent will shit himself in fear if his special wall is out. If he has his physical wall out, roast it with a Flamethrower. If he's switching, Low Sweep + Flamethrower. Sucker Punch ensures you won't get revenge killed.

Later on in the match; the real Haxorus can come in and clean up the mess.

Here is a core that I have found to be one of the most successful that I have used in this metagame:

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
~Dragon Claw
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Timid: 4hp/252SpA/252Spe
~Volt Switch
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Fire
~Flash Cannon

Combining a Salamence with a Steel trapper has always been one of the more effective ways of eliminating the Steel types that would end his sweep. This Magneton set can take care of most steel types in OU besides its older brother and some variations of Jirachi (who may sometimes Escape with U-Turn). This duo is often paired up with at least one other dragon-typed pokemon that can also benefit from the elimination of opposing steels. I prefer using Specs Latios, who is very capable of using Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse more freely.
What are the advantages of running Magneton over Magnezone?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
10 points in Speed so it can actually function as a halfway decent revenge killer, unlike Magnezone. Magneton has base 70 Speed while Magnezone has base 60. Also, Magnezone looks weird.

Scarf Timid Magnezone fails to outspeed Starmie and Tornadus-T, which is pretty pathetic. Magneton on the other hand outspeeds both, which is important as you force the switch and can Volt Switch for more offensive momentum.

Also, it's probably important to run a nature that doesn't -SAtk on Salamence, so stuff like Sub CM Jirachi doesn't set up on you locked into Fire Blast.

This is a core that I used to roll with; and the mindfucks are amazing

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Brick Break / Taunt

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive / Rash nature
~ Sucker Punch
~ Flamethrower
~ Swords Dance
~ Low Sweep

Bring in Zoroark disguised as Haxorus; and the mind games begin. Your opponent has 2 options - call your bluff and send in a special wall; or believe it's Haxorus and send in a steel-type to take the outrage. Pop a Swords Dance with Zoroark - at this point, your opponent will shit himself in fear if his special wall is out. If he has his physical wall out, roast it with a Flamethrower. If he's switching, Low Sweep + Flamethrower. Sucker Punch ensures you won't get revenge killed.

Later on in the match; the real Haxorus can come in and clean up the mess.
Mold Breaker is a dead giveaway of your bluff. If Haxorus switches in, the opponent sees that Haxorus runs Mold Breaker, and therefore isn't Zoroark. If Zoroark switches in disguised as Haxorus, no Mold Breaker will set off warning bells in any attentive opponent, and they'll be able to call your bluff and send in a counter, although they will be expecting NP or Choice.

Well...Rivalry could be used, but that doesn't help much on PS.
Solid Sun core too.

Well, I went away and tested this out, and got excellent results:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf / Specs
Timid / Modest Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe or 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spe
{Shadow Tag}
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- HP Fire

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
{Justified}
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Well the choice between Specs and Scarf is yours, but here's the deal.

They have some synergy at least, but Terrakion has slight pains in dealing with checks like Tangrowth or Skarm or Slowbro and Gliscor...but you can weaken most of them via Gothitelle, and let Rock Gem Stone Edge finish them off for sweeping. With a Sub and an SD, not much stops you. In fact, nothing really does! I have paired Amoonguss with this to allow Terra more setup opportunities. HP Fire over Ice because Scizor dies to it.

Mold Breaker is a dead giveaway of your bluff. If Haxorus switches in, the opponent sees that Haxorus runs Mold Breaker, and therefore isn't Zoroark. If Zoroark switches in disguised as Haxorus, no Mold Breaker will set off warning bells in any attentive opponent, and they'll be able to call your bluff and send in a counter, although they will be expecting NP or Choice.
Or they can think that your Haxorus has Rivalry.

Zoroark does not run Swords Dance 90% of the time, you know.

@ Below - that's why Haxorus comes in -after- Zoroark has done his job.

Or they can think that your Haxorus has Rivalry.

Zoroark does not run Swords Dance 90% of the time, you know.

@ Below - that's why Haxorus comes in -after- Zoroark has done his job.
Too bad no one really uses Rivalry. The ability to hit Levitators with Earthquake, being able to hit Sand Veil and Snow Cloak Pokemon all the time, ignoring Unaware (because fuck Quagsire), hell, the ability to 0HKO Dragonite through Multiscale. Is that not better than getting a 25% increase to attack IF the opponent is the same gender as you? Not seeing Mold Breaker is a warning sign to anyone who is knows what they're doing and is paying attention.

Oh yeah, and Rivalry is shit. Rivalry boosts by 25% if the opponent is the same gender as the user. Not bad right? With that, you could land 65.56 - 77.24% on Physically Defensive Skarmory after Swords Dance. If its the same gender as you. If not, you do a pathetic 39.52 - 46.7% on the same Skarmory, with the same boosts. Skarmory can then go ahead and phaze you out without a problem, unless it has heavy damage on it already. Mold Breaker Haxorus, however, will always reliably 2HKO Skarmory, no matter what.

Also, a boosting Haxorus should be using Dragon Dance. 97 Speed just doesn't cut it.

So, I created a weird FWG core that has some work, given the right support.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

It needs a pokemon to sponge dragon attacks and to provide SR (Hello Jirachi!) and it works finely. The primary role for the core is to prepare a Volcarona sweep.
Celebi lures and OHKOes Heatran with Earth Power and provides general utility, like stopping volt-turn strategy by predicting a HP fire on obvious Genesect switch or by scaring rotom-w and resisting volt switch in general. It kills non-occa Scizor 100% of the time (bar rain) and nails other steel types that Earth can't touch, while 2HKOing Breloom. Heal Bell is a random filler, as I don't find Recover worth a slot. Maybe u-turn/baton pass can be used, as I have 2 status absorbers in Celebi and Starmie.
Starmie provides rapid spin, counters any Keldeo and doesn't let any dragon to setup on her, giving her immense speed. I chose a bulky set because LO set is too hardpressed in this meta, even if I use Recover.
And then, the star of the core: Fast Volcarona. It just sets up and sweep, once I've removed the counters. Sometimes I switch it in before the final sweep to dent Terrakion with a Giga Drain (Giga Drain vs 4/0 Terrakion: 238-282 (73.45 - 87.03%)

It has a weakness to Terrakion and Dragons, but there are other 3 members to cover this gap.

^Nice, I do like the look of that core. I am a fan of the Celebi set. Yes you may be weak to CS Terrakion, but CB Terrakion can be dented by Starmie. Props for bulky Starmie though =)

Well, I am really enjoying testing a Genesect + Gothitelle + Dugtrio core...

Here's a really strong core I've been using on PS lately. I use it in conjunction with Life Orb, Sheer Force Landorus with Earth Power / HP Ice / Psychic / Sludge Wave.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Mach Punch

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

First off, Genesect works in two ways. Since it has a good base attack stat, if you get an attack boost from download you can use U-turn on a switch to hit a heft chunk on the incoming Pokemon as well as getting switch advantage. It also works well for late game sweeps if the opponent has nothing much left. Infernape is used to take down Pokemon by firing off Life Orb boosted Close Combats as well as possible tricking the opponent to send in Gliscor to wall you and firing off an Overheat to deal a ton. Tentacruel is used to stop walls from, well, walling you. Knock off gets rid of leftovers or other helpful items. Liquid Ooze deals with LS Ferrothorn and Sub/LS Celebi. Toxic Spikes are just for extra residual damage and Scald just to get some damage off and try to cripple physical attackers.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor

Genesect @ Choice Band
Nature: Naughty / Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef

~ U-turn
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Explosion / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Iron Head / Quick Attack / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

~ Volt-Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Hidden Power [Ice / Grass]
~ Trick

How The Core Works:

Rotom-W can easily eliminate Heatran and fire specs Hydro Pumps at Ninetales (it does like 3/4 in sun) and other fire types that give Genesect trouble. As for Genesect, it can break many teams. Just by spamming U-turn. U-turn does over half to Ninetales (forget the set) and it also can do heavy damage things that wall Rotom-W (like Gastrodon, Blissey, Chansey, Jirachi, Bulky Rotom-W, Quagsire, and so much more). This core easily can break stall in rain. Obviously, you will probably want stealth rock support, and a revenge killer (like something fast, because Genesect and Rotom-W have very poor speed).

This is a good core to use in rain. You could always use Thundy-T / Scarf Mence / ect. as your revenge killer since Gene no longer fills this roll, but, this core breaks many teams and literally hands you the momentum. I've been using this core to mild success, its a standard core bu very effective. Especially since not many people use Specs Rotom-W in the metagame (usually bulky or scarf for some reason ;~;). Volt-Turn just got better thanks to Gene.

I'm on phone, will edit the Nature & EVs later.

Gothorita @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
- Charm
- Taunt
- Trick Room / Thunder Wave
- Rest

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
Nature: +SpA, -Spe
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room / Reflect
- Psyshock
- Coverage

Trap a physical attacker with Gothorita and use Charm until he can only does pitiful damage on you. Rest or just set TR up. Bring Gothitelle in, CM and wreck everything with coverage move of choice at hopefully +6 SpA & SpD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)